Start by marking “Caged (Caged, #1)” as Want to Read:
Caged (Caged, #1)

Caged

(Caged #1)

"I stood in the middle of the room, unmoving – I barely breathed. My life had just become surreal, impossible, and one enormous lie. I needed to go, to run somewhere, anywhere to beat back the reality that was rapidly closing in around me. The image of him was burned into my retina, flashing over and over again like a warning. He was trapped somewhere between human and dec ...more
Published December 15th 2011 by Amber Lynn Natusch

To ask other readers questions about Caged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caged

Kat
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure how to start this review-this book gave me insanely mixed feelings. Hated the main character-liked the story. First of all the so called 29 year old used to be blind girl has the wit of a snarky late night tv host and yet the brains (common sense) and emotional intelligence of an earthworm. Actually, I think earth worms could figure out a lot more than she did. Maybe the author was over explaining through the mc's stupidity?? I HATED the name/label dropping through out the book and ...more
Gitanc
Feb 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
I don't understand the ratings for this. The main character is weak and her banter with the 2 men in her life is annoying instead of entertaining. She goes beyond naivety into the just plan stupid realm. I only was able to get through 3/4 of the book before I gave up. It is definitely not worth your time.
Daisa
Jun 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Please note, this review has spoilers

Actual Rating: 1.25 stars

so….i said i never judge a book by its cover in that i wont dismiss it because i do not like the cover…i will now be applying the opposite rule to my reading search…i will never again read a book solely based on the fact that i DO like the cover because this was the shittiest semi good book I’ve ever read in my existence…

i think it would be easier for me to start off with what i did like about the book…it had potential…this book had
Alaina
This book was like a roller coaster.. and maybe 3 stars in generous.. but I just feel so confused.. and have mixed feelings over this book.

Caged was just a weird book. The main character, Ruby, was kind of annoying. Okay.. not kind of... really annoying. I just didn't get her.. or like her. She was just always portrayed as weak. Even though I did like her bantering on and on with the two men in her life.. it still doesn't change the outcome of how I feel about this book.

Ruby, again, is annoying,
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: werewolves
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book starts off slowly but by the end it absolutely howls with excellence! Caged is very much plot driven and when paired with Ruby’s outstanding voice this story quickly becomes next to impossible to put down. Natusch’s descriptions are spellbinding without putting even the smallest damper on the endless action. This novel is hilariously funny, well edited and even introduces a new breed of werewolves. Talk about bang for your buck! Caged has many pros and very litt
Cristina
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Queue music: Hungry like a Wolf by Duran Duran (just go with it because I’m trying to set the mood).

I read this book knowing very little and was pleasantly surprised.
Oh how I love this book!!!I was hooked from the very first page and honestly, I didn’t know what to make of the prologue because I had so many questions and there was no one to ask!!! So I did the best thing possible…I kept reading!

While Ruby, the heroine of this story frustrated me on many occasions I did enjoy her sense of sarcasm
Lucinda
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have never been so emotional, so moved and captivated by a story that was completely unusual and original like nothing I have read before. Ruby’s story began ordinarily as it would in chick-lit but then as her past and flashbacks revealed hidden secrets, her story became more fascinating with every page hence I began to loose myself within her tale. Wanting to find out more about why she had lost her eyesight for so many years and the accident with her parents, I also then became curious as to ...more
Charity
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it

Wow! I had no idea what this book was about before I read it. And disappointed I am not! This book and series really deserves so much more attention then it has been given.

Caged is written from our heroine Ruby’s POV; a woman in her late 20‘s who grew up blind. However, after a tragic event she miraculously regains her vision. Here’s the fun, the reader gets to experience all of the weird little nuances that a recently sighted person might have. It’s a neat little perspective and backstory we g
Lorna
I have to say that I am absolutely totally confused by some of the reviews I just read. This book was the start of a wonderful paranormal series.One day read for me and for all of the books in this series actually. I started this book and it drew me in immediately. The character of Ruby was just one of the best characters I have ever read. EVER.She is funny and sarcastic and I loved that. I have since read the whole series up to this point and it got better and better with each book.Not that it ...more
Jasmin
Jun 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I don't have a well thought out review at the moment, but when your main character is saved by two men (who are SO perfectly gorgeous) within the first 30 pages, I am not inclined to give a good review. seeing as the author didn't take the time to formulate any sort of story, depth, strength, or belivability I don't feel like putting in the effort either.

it sounds harsh, but I am really getting tired of weak-willed women in novels and men who have no imperfections....because that's how the worl
Heather Felder
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
".....Ruby is a sarcastic, shoe obsessed chic (hey, I can relate!), although she was a bit on the immature side (however, seeing how her parents raised her, it is justifiable). She is quickly thrown into an unknown world and has to figure out who she can trust and figure it out FAST, as her life literally depends on it. I had NO idea that this book was about werewolves, although I loved it! It was my first "werewolf" book and I was not disappointed."

My FULL REVIEW here: http://shoes-n-more.blog
Natalie
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
I love a good Urban Fantasy. It is always nice to escape reality for a while and live among the things that go bump in the night.

Ruby has lived a very sheltered life in the dark, both literally and figuratively. With the unexpected deaths of her parents, in which she was present but has has no recollection, Ruby is now alone and no longer in the dark. Her only memory from her parents death is that of the mysterious man who saved her. When the mystery man shows up again months later, what starts
Ruby was born blind, but after a tragic attack that left her parents dead and Ruby covered in blood, she could see. A year after the attack, she is on her own and adjusting to her new life when she crosses paths with Sean, the mysterious (and handsome) guy that found her the day of the attack. They begin to build a strange friendship.

At a club one night, she also meets Eric. There is an intense attraction between them, and Sean has to practically drag her away. Later Eric tells Ruby that she is
Stacy
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
*Minor Spoilers may be revealed*

I jumped into Caged not knowing what it was really about and had no clue it was a werewolf story. The story starts off a bit slow with information, You get through about half the book before any hint of the paranormal is even mentioned then BAM your thrown right in to everything and things start to make more sense.

Ruby is frustratingly naive when it comes to most matters. She is quick to jump to the worst conclusion but also quick to double guess herself. She h
Shan
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok never judge a book by it's cover and what one person finds exciting another will ask WTF. I did not want to read this book one the cover, two the description was not helpful at peeking my interest but the reviews were mixed. I was urged by my "book buddy" lol to read it. We kinda developed an enter wolf from prev. Reads. This book is Fantastic. If you are able to transport yourself into the book and focus not on the obvious real world common sense we should share. Ruby has been sheltered all ...more
Sheilah
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Way before Twilight was even thought of, my love of werewolves blossomed while reading L.J. Smith in the 90's. A wee girl of 11 or 13, I was transfixed, while curled up in my bed dreaming of my werewolf soul mate that was destined in the stars (or so I hoped).

Her creation of the Night World spawned my love. But in truth, it was always there.

I feel if you are a dog lover there is a natural inclination to love the inner wolf that materializes in legends. I have been obsessed with canines since a c
Brandee (un)Conventional Bookworms
*3.5 Stars*
Despite my having a few issues, this was an excellent debut and I'm HOOKED. I'm anxious to see what comes next for Ruby.

***
Caged was a recommendation from Lorna @RabidReads so it came as no surprise that I was immediately captivated. The prologue teased me just enough to have my curiosity piqued. There were some freaky things that Ruby endured and she was equally as in the dark, so to speak, as to what was going on as I was.

The story picks up ~9 months after the prologue and Ruby is
Matt Larkin
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I didn't know exactly what to expect when I started Caged. I knew it had some kind of urban fantasy element, and some kind of comic element. It starts off kind of slow, the narrative mainly driven by Ruby's voice. Fortunately, that voice is very compelling. The way she keeps score of every conversation or event ("Ruby - 1, Sean - 0") stuck with me even after finishing the book.

What I didn't know, and didn't begin to figure out until a little ways in, is exactly what supernatural elements were in
Elisa Hordon
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'd really like the last few hours back omg what a waste of precious reading time. really, really poor plot, boring and predictable that the heroine not that you can really call her that should have see everything coming well before it happened talk about pathetic wow that woman and being 28 she was a woman had no freaking idea, the bad guys were equally pathic is was like watching a really cheesy b rated horror I just had to laugh at the character's stupidity I'm not normally one to write negat ...more
Megan Gillis
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't seem to put this series down.. there are some parts that are quite drawn out. However I find it quite intriguing and refreshing in some aspects as well! I can't say more without giving anything away! It's definitely a good read if you like paranormal of all kinds and romance ;)
Megan
I met Amber Lynn Natusch at the Boston Author Event back in March and have been a personal fan of hers ever since. She is smart, witty, and loves the oxford comma just as much as I do. I’ve had her first book, Caged, on my kindle for what seems like forever now and finally got the chance to read it. My, oh my… I don’t know what the hell I was waiting for. This first book in the Caged series is a page-turner that kept me reading well into the night.

One thing I’ve been doing a lot lately is skippi
Sam
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
This is a really good book that, I think, deserves some hype around it! I'm quite surprised that it hasn't taken off more than it has. The story is very good and kept my interest throughout. It begins very mysteriously and I had no idea what to expect from it. The synopsis doesn't really tell you anything about the actual story. It rather surprised me! There are tons of twists and turns in this book as well. Everything is so wonderfully mysterious that at the completion of the first book, I am l ...more
Online Eccentric Librarian
Although I have rated this two stars, it may not be as bad as that for others. For me, this hit quite a few of my pet peeves right of the bat, especially for being in essence a shaggy dog story (read: werewolves):

- Heroine who is bitchy and complains, whines, yells, acts stupidly with the love interest(s) and heroes. It's a romance trope called a 'spitfire' and it firmly throws me past my 'reality' and 'plot logic' threshold to believe ANYONE would find her attractive.

- Hero described as a Gree
Cor Cordium
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!

I did not read the synapses before beginning this book, but purchased it because it was recommended on Amazon. (not to mention it was only 99cents). I gave it 3 stars because 2 1/2 was not an option.

I started out really enjoying Caged but I just couldn't wrap my head around Ruby being 28 years old. Why 28? Why not 25 or 24? At least then, there may have been an excuse for her immaturity. 28 is already old by some standards. I just don't understand.

(view spoiler)
Cat
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I oscillated between loving the main character, Ruby, and wanting to smack her upside her head. For a smart, semi-paranoid woman living on her own, she really makes some foolish decisions. In fact, even after going through a terrible ordeal (the climax of the book), she still insists on judging a certain character based solely on what someone else has said. Shame on you Ruby! Oh well, this is pointed out by that character all by himself, so good job sir (name not revealed so no spoilers!).

Overal
Caitlin Kerry
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a bit harder me for me to get into but about half way through it really picked up and I really liked it! At times I found Ruby a bit obnoxious but I could see why she was the way she was, I mean this poor girl had gone through some crazy stuff and NO one would give her answers. That would drive me nuts too!! And then there is Sean....oh my hottness. Plus at times this book was pretty funny.

"I'm an only child Coop. I don't do sharing" I retorted
"If I'd had one like you first, it'd b
Diana Graves
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading a handful of good reviews and a handful of bad reviews, I decided to give Caged a shot. What's $.99 after all?

As a very aware person, some might say I'm overly feeling, I related with the main character and I found the book intriguing enough. I found time in my ultra busy life to read it, and that says a lot. The formatting was a bit different, but not too off-putting. I'd recommend Caged to my friends, and I've already sent a copy to my mother as a gift.
Samantha
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this! It adds a little twist to the very popular and possibly overdone werewolf story. (Funny, I keep thinking about how saturated most books are with werewolves, vampires, witches, faeries, etc... yet I still keep reading them, lol. I guess everyone has their shtick?)

Random side thought: When Sean says "No More Cages" to Ruby, it felt very "No one puts baby in a corner", lol. I had to laugh out loud. Maybe its just me.

Highly recommended. On to the second one!
angela
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The bomb I loved this book it was awesome.. With lots of excitement, tragedy, questionable people, snark, things I didn't see coming, friendships made, love, etc. it has it all. Wrapped in great writing, by a wonderful creative mind. I love this Author and look forward to the next book in this series. I highly recommended this book.
Bree
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I didn't know if I would because I'm pretty over the love triangle/who will she pick/I'm beautiful and I refuse to believe it stories. The thing that was different about this one was that although is a love story aspect it felt like it was more about Ruby finding out about who she was then landing the guy. And that I liked.
  • Original Sin (Alexandra Jones, #2)
  • Pride's Run (A Wolf's Pride, #1)
  • Deceived (Gwen Sparks, #2)
  • Leopard Moon (Moon, #1)
  • The Lost Souls (The Holy Trinity, #2.5)
  • Cold Blood (Dirty Blood, #2)
  • Twist (Mageri, #2)
  • The Binding (The Velesi Trilogy, #1)
  • Wanderlove (Wanderlove, #1)
  • Time Mends (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #2)
  • Chosen (The Chosen, #1)
  • Love is Fear (Valerie Dearborn, #2)
  • River Cast (The Tale of Lunarmorte, #2)
  • Tempted by Evil (Light and Shadow, #1)
  • The Ylem (The Ylem Trilogy, #1)
AMBER LYNN NATUSCH is the author of the bestselling Caged series for adults. She was born and raised in Winnipeg, and is still deeply attached to her Canadian roots. She loves to dance and practice Muay Thai―but spends most of her time running a chiropractic practice with her husband, raising two young children, and attempting to write when she can lock herself in the bathroom for ten minutes of p ...more

Caged (7 books)
  • Haunted (Caged, #2)
  • Framed (Caged, #3)
  • Scarred (Caged, #4)
  • Fractured (Caged, #5)
  • Strayed (Caged, #6)
  • Betrayed (Caged, #7)
“watched as they flashed clips of people dancing, bartenders fixing whatever drink was en vogue, and a montage of interviews with delighted patrons. Maybe I really should try going out, it looks like fun... but drunk people always look like they're having a good time.” 1 likes
“Not thinking about it much is not proof of healing, nor is the ability to speak about your painful event indifferently. The absence of one or presence of the other proves nothing.” 0 likes