Start by marking “Every Day (Every Day, #1)” as Want to Read:
Every Day (Every Day, #1)

Every Day

(Every Day #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  192,515 ratings  ·  20,469 reviews
Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meet
Published August 28th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Every Day, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Megan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Forest There is a prequel to this book called "Six Earlier Days". "Every Day" starts at Day 5994, this features 6 extra chapters to A's life before that. The…moreThere is a prequel to this book called "Six Earlier Days". "Every Day" starts at Day 5994, this features 6 extra chapters to A's life before that. There is also a sequel to it called "Rhiannon" which is from Rhiannon's POV.(less)

·  192,515 ratings  ·  20,469 reviews

Start your review of Every Day (Every Day, #1)
Kathryn
Sep 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Emily May
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, romance, young-adult
I am not kissing her because I want to, and I am not kissing her because I need to - I am kissing her for a reason that transcends want and need, that feels elemental to our existence, a molecular component on which our universe will be built.

I have enjoyed Levithan's books in the past, but the magic that other readers found in Every Day just wasn't there for me.

Many claims have been made about this book - that it is a clever "what if" science fiction novel, that it explores what it means to
Wendy Darling
What makes us fall in love--and what makes us who we are?

Those are the questions at the heart of this novel, which tells a thoughtful, touching story that will surprise readers with its sentient literary style and gentle feeling.

Everyone longs for human connection, but 16-year-old A.'s search for it seems to be a losing proposition. Every day, for as long as he can remember, he wakes up in a different body: sometimes as a girl, sometimes with a different ethnicity, sometimes with a different se
Maria
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.8/5 Stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This book was a true clusterfuck of emotions. I was engaged from the first moment to the incredibly original concept, the simple but effective writing style and the rich main character. But I feel like with a concept like this they could have taken it t
Cristina Monica
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it

Can you imagine waking up every day in the body of someone else? Pretending to be them for a day? Being them for a day? Your soul traveling from body to body, restless.

David Levithan is a very deep type of guy… on his way to becoming a philosopher, as I like to believe. He creates stories that tackle realities of modern life and depicts profound lead characters that have something intelligent and thoughtful to say about the world.

At first, I wasn’t convinced about the whole concept. I thought it
Nancy
Aug 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
The concept for the story is intriguing - A is a person that inhabits another person's body for one day. Sometimes A is a boy, sometimes a girl. A can inhabit different colors of skin and different shapes and sizes. A tries to minimize the impact of occupying the body. A is supposedly not judgmental. Whatever body A inhabits is fine with A.

The story is, I believe, about acceptance. People come in all shapes, sizes, genders and orientations. There is no preference given the above mentioned catego
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read w/Amanda, Joan & Rebecca
I wake up the next morning in Beyonce's body.

3.5 stars. I think I hated this book, even though I was drawn into it like a moth to a flame. And by hate, I mean that I did like the book, but found myself frustrated because I was forced to question every single damn thing. There was something about the entire story that suffocated the hell out of me. My head hurt from trying to figure out how all of 'this' was supposed to work. My heart hurt from the presumed hopelessness of the situati
Ari
Wow! This was such a feast for my eyes and mind!

My thoughts after finishing the book: SO GOOD! I didn't even have time to mark it as currently-reading, this is how lost into the story I've been. One of the best books I've read in quite a while!

Full review:

Romance aside, this story is about people .. All kinds of people in all kinds of scenarios, with different lives and in different environments. It's the most wonderful book about what it means to be human.

It takes you on a journey around
Flannery
Once upon a time, a high school-aged girl attempted to make lasagna for her three siblings and their parents. As both the youngest child and as someone with quite the reputation as a calamity machine of Amelia Bedelia proportions, she had a lot to prove. When her family came home and sat down to dinner, everyone remarked that the lasagna tasted...okay, but off. They asked her how she made it and she recounted the correct steps and then remarked that it took her a really long time to chop all tha ...more
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
There is no way this ends like this!
I mean I have QUESTIONS ... about a million of them and I need answers!
Also I don’t want an ending like this... T_T
How can this even end like this?! Especially after THAT kind of encounter!!??
AHHHH my head is a question mark.

Full RTC soon! Stay tuned! ;-)

_________________________________

I’ve become such a mood reader over those last few months, but the concept of this sounds so intriguing!

To wake up in another body every day must be one hell of an experie
Justin Tate
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best YA books ever. Waking up in the body of another person every day isn't just a thrilling premise, it's a master class in empathy. It's rare to close a YA book and feel ten years wiser, but that's how powerful this is. It opens your eyes to what life is like for someone else, not just in theory but in actuality.

The love story element fits perfectly because it asks that old Haddaway question: What is love? Is it based on a person's body or their soul?

Must read!
Elyse  Walters
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Update: Kindle $1.99 special today! If you've never experience David Levithan --this is a wonderful book ---(for teens and adults who feel like 'teens'...haha)

What would it be like to wake up in a different body every day? And what would it be like
to be in love with a person who changed every day?
What makes us fall in love--and what makes us who we are?

These are the questions at the heart of this novel... a touching story.
Everyone longs for human connection, but 16 year old *A's* search for
Aj the Ravenous Reader
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Drewthereader20

Once upon a time, I dreamt of being a different person, of waking up one day in a different person’s body, preferably of that who was a lot better, if not perfect. (Beyonce’s did occur to me too.^^)

David Levithan brought this fantasy to life through Every Day and it felt like it aimed to harshly snap the reader back to reality. It was like a not so kind moralistic tale that tells you to be happy with who you are, what you have and for the people who surround you. Be thankful that ton
Maureen
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
This was just a beautiful book.
Lindsey Rey
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW.
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Why do I remember a time spent driving around all day with wind and music in my hair as if it was yesterday, but can’t recall one detail about my high school graduation? Some days stick. Others fade away. A life mystery...I hope forever remains a mystery.

One day at a time. Live every day to the fullest. Be in the moment. Day to day. Today is a new day. See you tomorrow…..Are just a few of the common expressions that Mr. Levithan blows up and almost redefines in the pages of Every Day. A book tha
Christy
3 stars!

Every Day by David Levithan is a unique, emotional, and thought-provoking book. I can't say I've read anything quite like this book before. I enjoyed it, but I have mixed emotions about how I felt about the ending and the story itself.
Komal
Dec 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance-drama
David Levithan formed the perfect hypothesis, but he failed to design an experiment, plan an observation or conduct a research and quench the bits which mattered the most. Instead, he took the easier route out and declared the result unreachable when it could have, so easily, been created right out of the never-emptying vaults of his mind.

Sometimes, an author gets a brilliant idea, an idea that is out of this world, untried, new and unique and awaiting to challenge him and his readers alike. Dav
B
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Despite what you might think from my rating, I really, truly loved this book. I want to give this book a full five star rating so much, but, regardless of how much I think this book deserves a five star rating, and how much I want to give it a five star rating, I just can't bring myself to give it that.

A has an indeterminate gender, an indeterminate family, and even indeterminate name. Each and every day, A finds himself waking up in a new body
Mario
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, own-read, favorites
This was one of those books that I knew I was going to give 5 stars from page one. It's just brilliant.
I loved every single thing about it. I loved the writing style, characters, story, how it dealt with sooo many important themes... just everything. I especially enjoyed reading from A's point of view. I loved his way of thinking so much.

And it really made me think about life, and some things that I haven't thought about before. And I love when a book does that.

Can't wait for to sequel to come
Fabian {Councillor}
Every Day is a peculiar book with a very original theme - a book about a character who wakes up in the body of a different person every day. One day A, our main protagonist, might be a boy who treats his girlfriend badly, another day A might wake up as a girl addicted to drugs ... but whatever the body A awakens in is like, A's mind always remains the same. A grows with the experiences, learns the same things others do ... only A has to adapt to different environments, A has to learn that there ...more
Kate (GirlReading)
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25* MY HEART HURTS. 😭

Every Day has to be one of the most interesting and unique stories I've ever read. I wasn't too sure what to expect going into it but I definitely wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I loved how it explored so many aspects of humanity, how we look at others and what makes us who we are. We got to delve into the lives of so many different people, in such an intimate way and it was absolutely fantastic. I picked this up on a total whim and I'm so happy that I did.
Bren

WARNING: THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE....

With that said, I put this book as one of my favorites. When I finished my feelings were all over the place, that I needed time to collect them. Now its been months and this book still makes my heart beat faster, my palms get sweaty, and I am eager to see where "A" will be next. You see this is a tale like no other. David Levithan has messed with my head, in a way that I am grateful for. He made me think and choose between ideas and feelings I never thou
Cristina
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG! 😮 Why didn't I read this sooner?! I've known about this book for years! And the trailer from the movie made me wanna read it now. Thank God for it!
So... I really liked the idea of the book. Original, like nothing else. If I could live every day in someone else's body, I would read every day without feeling guilty that I have to prepare things for the next day or that I have certain responsibilities for my future. Because there would be no consequences!
I am so curious how the movie will be
Ahmad Sharabiani
Every Day (Every Day #1), David Levithan
Every Day is a young adult romance and fantasy novel written by American author David Levithan. It was published on August 28, 2012. Every Day is about the story of A, a person who wakes up occupying a different body each day.
As described by Frank Bruni of The New York Times, "A. doesn't have a real name, presumably because they don't have a real existence: they're not a person, at least not in any conventional sense, but they have a spirit, switching wit
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed

Every day is a book about a person/being called A that switches bodies every day. One day when A is in the body of a boy named Justin, A falls in love with Justin's girlfriend. This book is a hit or miss type of book and while I understand a lot of the criticisms it gets I quite enjoyed it.

The concept of Everyday to me is extremely interesting. The idea of a genderless being moving from body to body daily is captivating and although some of the rules surrounding this concept are a litt
Lazaros
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: realistic fiction fans
This was magnificent. It was a heart-stopping read. It was too realistic without being non-fiction.

A boy who changes bodies every day. A girl who's helplessly in love with someone who doesn't return her love. What can these two have in common? Everything and nothing.

It's a heartbreaking love story told from the perspective of a boy who's only ever known impermanence. Every day he wakes up in someone else's body, he gets to be that person, he gets access to their memories and to their lives and
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I immediately started sobbing after closing the book because I am just devastated to be leaving it behind me. I can definitely imagine how A must feel every day when A wakes up as someone else. My heart hurts. This book was phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal. I'm terrified to read the sequel bc of just how much this book meant to me.

Also- RHIANNON. She was just.. Amazing. David Levithan wrote her so well. I feel like I fell in love with her right alongside A. I JUST CAN'T WITH THIS BOOK. I'm fee
Leslie
Nov 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
I read this last November, but I'm just getting around to reviewing it now because I heard that "Every Day" got nominated for a Lambda Award (which celebrates excellence in LGBT literature) in the Children's/YA category and that immediately rekindled my anger towards this book.

First of all: Lambda, I notice that you have 10 nominees for Children's/YA. That's a bit much, don't you think? That's basically every YA/children's book featuring a gay character, isn't it. Have higher standards for yours
Wendy F
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013

Why do you read books?

I read books because they transport me somewhere else. I go on adventures, fall in love, grieve, laugh... I find best friends, and sometimes I lose best friends. This is the first time that I've read a book and actually felt alone... lonely.

Imagine, you have nobody of your own. Every day you have a new mother, new father, new life... you drift from body to body, without any real roots or anything that you can call your own. The MC, 'A', kept trying to convince Rhiannon, and
Every Day 3 18 Dec 06, 2019 01:33PM
Play Book Tag: Every Day - David Levithan - 3 stars 1 13 May 15, 2019 06:00PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Every Day (Every Day #1) by David Levithan - Restarting February 21st 2019 32 62 Feb 28, 2019 02:16PM

• Will Grayson, Will Grayson
  • Everything, Everything
  • Eleanor & Park
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Simonverse, #1)
  • All the Bright Places
  • Thirteen Reasons Why
  • They Both Die at the End
  • Holding Up the Universe
  • Five Feet Apart
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • It's Kind of a Funny Story
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

Every Day (3 books)
  • Another Day (Every Day, #2)
  • Someday (Every Day, #3)

Articles featuring this book

From The Hunger Games to The Fault in Our Stars, some of Hollywood's biggest movies began as beloved young adult novels. It'...
“If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: We all want everything to be okay. We don't even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough.” 2563 likes
“I wake up thinking of yesterday. The joy is in remembering; the pain is in knowing it was yesterday.” 1368 likes