Start by marking “Discovering Wes Moore (The Young Adult Adaptation)” as Want to Read:
Discovering Wes Moore (The Young Adult Adaptation)

Discovering Wes Moore (The Young Adult Adaptation)

For fans of The Wire and Unbroken comes a story of two fatherless boys from Baltimore, both named Wes Moore. One is in prison, serving a life sentence for murder. The other is a Rhodes Scholar, an army veteran, and an author whose book is being turned into a movie produced by Oprah Winfrey.

Two men. One overcame adversity. The other suffered the indignities of poverty. The
Published September 11th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Discovering Wes Moore, please sign up.
Jessie Packer "Following your passion and your heart is important. But hard work and putting in the effort to be good at something matters."

"Trust your equipment,…more

"Trust your equipment, trust your training, and trust your God."

"When it is time for you to leave this school, leave your job, or even leave this earth, you make sure you have worked hard to make it matter that you were ever here."

"The bloody, violent, painful past is important because it is what shaped us. But the future doesn't have to repeat the past."

"Humanity and compassion are qualities that every human being is capable of having. That common bond must be stronger than any conflict or fear. Knowing when to fight and when to seek peace is wisdom."

"Following your passion and heart is important. But hard work and putting in the effort to be good at something matters."

"Direct the energy you get from frustration and anger into your own projects, creativity, and hopefully, success."(less)
Jessie Packer This was a very good book, indeed.
This was a very good book, indeed.
I am fifteen, and I am pleased to say that I really enjoyed this book. Many people say that this is a sad book and the like, but I find that the book just had sad parts in it; it wasn't made sad because of these parts. The book had a very "happy ending", I would say , because Moore is undoubtedly successful today. Even though it isn't written, I feel as though the ending of the book wasn't really the ending of the story. The story ends when Moore passes away, and that hasn't happened yet, I don't believe.

I hope this helped and wasn't too late!(less)

Joyce Yattoni
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good memoir about growing up, how the choices we make have life changing consequences. Wes Moore had “people” and family in his corner always setting good examples and setting high expectations. Mr. Moore could easily have been a statistic. He was poor, limited resources, reading below grade level for a significant portion of his elementary school years. But, he figured it out. He started to rise to these high expectations. Yes, he became a reader and went on to become a Rhodes Scholar. How is ...more
Beth Honeycutt
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I'd like to read the adult version sometime, but this version is very accessible for students and would be a good, quick read.
KK Feuerman
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Eliza Witt
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This memoir is about a boy named Wes Moore. Wes Moore's father dies when Wes was at a young age right in front of Wes. It is tragic experience for Wes. Wes's mother is having a hard time adjusting without a husband, so she decides to move in with her mother and father in the Bronx. There is a lot of roughness in the neighborhood, and it has a bad influence on Wes. He turns from and nice boy to a boy who makes bad choices. His mother decides to send him off to military school. By the time Wes is ...more
Rheetha Lawlor
I really enjoyed this book, but I think I would enjoy the adult version better. That's why I only gave it three stars. However, with that said, I know that I would be utterly thrilled to have Wes Moore come to our school. I think that he has an amazing story and can/has/will touch many young adult lives who think that there is only one way to deal with a hard life.
Federico Brown
it is a nice book about a guy named Wes Moore and his life story.i like how he was the youngest officer in the military. I like how he was a gifted basketball player. I didn't like how there was another Wes Moore. I liked how he was sent to a military school and it had a impact on his life.
Lisa
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wes is a stellar story teller who shares the lessons of his life and those of others in a compelling and thought-proving narrative.
Melanie
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first became familiar with The Other Wes Moore, and though I remained interested in reading that book, I came to this one first, as it has been selected as a summer read for students I will be teaching at my new school assignment.

The premise of both Wes Moore texts - his original and this young adult adaptation - is that there were (at least) two Wes Moore living in Baltimore. The author eventually graduated from Johns Hopkins University, earned a Rhodes Scholarship, got married, and earned al
ColeD.
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wes's mom can not live in the house where her husband died any longer, so Wes Moore is forced to move with his mom and older sister to move to the Bronx with his grandparents. Getting acoustomed to his surroundings, Wes begins to skip school and hang out on the street, where he runs into trouble with the police. His stopped Wes from taking this path in life and sent him to a military academy, where Wes has become very succsessful. Years later, Wes read a newspaper article about a man named Wes M ...more
Wilsont
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Discovering Wes Moore, the literary element that carries on throughout the book is the plot. After Wes' father died he moved from west Baltimore to the Bronx. Wes spends most of his young life growing up in the hood where he gets into selling drugs, skipping school, and doing graffiti. His mom sees this and sends him off to military school where he attends middle school and graduates after High school. As he gets older, he travels much more often and he hears about another man named Wes Moore ...more
Mr. Suchecki
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book follows the life of two men who share the same name. These men, named Wes Moore, have completely different lives. While one of them goes to military school, becomes a high-ranking officer in the military, and becomes a Rhodes scholar, the other Wes Moore goes on a downward spiral of bad decisions that leads him to a life-time prison sentence. Throughout the story, we see the choices that each Wes makes that helps lead them to their ultimate path.

This book is always interesting every y
Sarah Eshelman
The core story of Wes Moore's book is a fascinating examination of how our choices are shaped by ourselves and by our surroundings. I picked up this audio CD more because I was looking for a quick audio book for my commute this week; I also remember hearing of this story before.

I really liked this adaptation, and was pleasantly surprised by how good the author is at imitating accents. However, I did not realize until about a quarter of the way through that this was an adaptation of his original
Heidi Branch
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a memoir of one man then contrasted with the life of another man by the same name and from the same city (Baltimore). This is the abbreviated YA version -- only 150 pages. Great concept but I didn't like the execution. Basically he quickly describes key moments in his own life, leaving huge gaps. Then he spends one chapter summing up the other Wes Moore's life. The final chapter is him drawing what conclusions he can about life choices. He addresses this to young adults, and it coul ...more
Jacob
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book Wes Moore is about how two similar boys who grow up in the same environment have two extremely different futures. and about the decisions they make that get them there. The characters in this book are the two Wes Moores. The plot is following them as they grow up. The setting is in the low-income part of the city. The objective is to teach young reads to make good life decisions.

I would recommend this non-fiction book by Wes Moore because it shows you how easily you can turn your life
Kara
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was assigned as summer reading to my rising 9th grader. For that, I believe it is an excellent choice. Moore writes an a relatable and approachable way, without being too simplistic or pedantic. Great discussion topics for young adults post-read would be: when does one become an adult? How do different cultures commemorate adulthood? How do adults model behavior, parent, teach and guide children, both in good and bad ways?

One thing that struck me was that once Wes dug into military sch
Calvin Pawlak
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laura (booksnob)
This is a quick read and I enjoyed learning about Wes Moore's life. I read this for my student book club at school but I wish I would have read the adult version. My favorite part of the book was learning about his experience in South Africa but because this is a YA version and different from the adult version, it was condensed and therefore there was not enough depth for me. Read the adult version of the book.
Kim Abell
Aug 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Emily
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an audiobook I stared at and considered listening to from my libraries digital audiobook borrowing program. Different than the usual book I'd be interested in it was eye opening to hear some of things things that happened in their lives but also at the same time not. These are people who's stories you hear about all the time. The ending was good when you see one of them achieve success and overcome adversity. It's sad that the other one wasn't able to do that.
Jensen
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book gives a really inspiring and optimistic perspective to a story that in other ways could be sad and negative. Even those of us who have never set foot in the places in this book, the author makes it feel like you have. Mainly this book is about how the people in our life, our circumstances, and of course, our own choices, shape us into who we are. I would reccomend this book to all people who enjoyed books like Wonder by R. J. Palacio.
Jordan Dozier
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the young adult version of the book The Other Wes Moore. I wonder if the original version did more with the premise than this version does. The premise of this book was more promising than the read itself, which broke the story down to the basics to have a message with a capital M. I wanted to see a more artful and moving exploration of the idea of identity than this book provides. That being said, it does show the humanity of a convicted killer in a nuanced way.
Isabella
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mrs. Trimble
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. This was a very thought-provoking story. It made me think about how a simple decision, or series of decisions, can totally alter the course of a person's future. I wish all of my middle school students would read it. Wes has already led an accomplished life. His determination and perseverance proved to greatly shape his future. I found his story inspiring.
Lindsey Nagtzaam
Speechless

Wes Moore, thank you. Thank you for giving g us this read as adults and youth. It’s impactful and thought provoking. You’ve given me a chance to discuss your worlds with my teen, tween and husband. Congratulations on your success!
Therese Wiese
I had read Moore's adult version first. I don't really think this book is YA. If you have someone in that age group, suggest they read the other version, which really delves into the places the two men's lives both parallel and diverged. I would recomend this version of the book for pre teens.
Vivian Thomas
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this young adult adaptation might be good for the 11 yr old boy, but it was too soon. Better for someone who actually thinks about the future.
That being said, its a well written story and I will probably mentally refer back to it frequently.
BHPL Staff
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Initially just picked it up to read since it was a new addition to the GL summer reading list in 2018 and I like to familiarize myself with the titles. Very well written story and I'm glad I read it.
Kristi
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
well-written inspiration and motivation for young readers contemplating positive or negative paths in the journey of life.
Maggie
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I missed the Evanston book group about this but wanted to incorporate it into my American Dream unit, so I started with the YA version. It did not disappoint!
Pop Korn
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is interesting and very emotional
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
literature throughout the book 1 2 Jul 27, 2015 10:27AM

• The Giant and How He Humbugged America
  • Fist Stick Knife Gun: A Personal History of Violence, A True Story in Black and White
  • Black Gold: The Story of Oil in Our Lives
  • The Warrior's Heart: Becoming a Man of Compassion and Courage
  • The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity
  • Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America
  • Harlem's Little Blackbird: The Story of Florence Mills
  • 21: The Story of Roberto Clemente
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Growing Up Muslim: Understanding the Beliefs and Practices of Islam
  • North: The Amazing Story of Arctic Migration
  • Your Food Is Fooling You: How Your Brain Is Hijacked by Sugar, Fat, and Salt
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • Shackles from the Deep: Tracing the Path of a Sunken Slave Ship, a Bitter Past, and a Rich Legacy
  • Testing the Ice: A True Story About Jackie Robinson
  • Zombie Makers: True Stories of Nature's Undead
  • Phoenix (Five Ancestors: Out of the Ashes, #1)
  • Time You Let Me In: 25 Poets under 25
Wes Moore is a youth advocate, Army combat veteran, promising business leader and author.

Wes graduated Phi Theta Kappa as a commissioned officer from Valley Forge Military College in 1998 and Phi Beta Kappa from Johns Hopkins University in 2001 with a bachelor’s degree in International Relations. At Johns Hopkins he was honored by the Maryland College Football Hall of Fame. He completed an MLitt i