Start by marking “The Line Between Here and Gone (Forensic Instincts, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Line Between Here and Gone (Forensic Instincts, #2)

The Line Between Here and Gone

(Forensic Instincts #2)

The man she loved is gone forever. The child she lives for could be next.

Each day is a struggle for Amanda Gleason's newborn son as he battles a rare immune deficiency. Justin's best chance for a cure lies with his father, who was brutally murdered before Amanda even realized she carried his child.

Or was he?

One emailed photo changes everything, planting a seed of doubt tha
Published June 26th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Line Between Here and Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Line Between Here and Gone

Patricia Williams
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting story with good characters. It had a happy ending and was a pretty easy read. I would definitely read another book by this author. I enjoyed the FI crew she developed in the story. Will have to read book #1 also. I did enjoy the story, not too much of a "thriller" but a good mystery type story.
Wendy Hines
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amanda Gleason is at her rope's end. Her one-month old son, Justin, is fighting for his life. He has a rare disease and he needs a bone marrow transplant. Unfortunately for Amanda, her Hepatitis C prevents her from being a donor candidate. What she needs is Justin's father, but he was murdered eight months ago.

On a rare break at the hospital, Amanda receives a text from a friend. The text contains a picture that looks just like Paul, her old boyfriend who was killed. Grasping at straws, Amanda i
Amy
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
The last quarter of the book was what saved it from a one star. Otherwise too much was spent on repeating the same thoughts and motivations of the character...How many times can you say, "We have to find Paul." "We will find Paul." "Just find Paul." Reading repeatedly how one character has a weakness for helping children and he is the main character's rock also was tiresome. Kane said it once, no need to repeat it. The FI team also seem to spend an tremendous amount of time patting themselves on ...more
Dinah Browne
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and how the answer wasn't simple
Christa
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook-arc
I always look forwrad to Kane's books, and this one did not disappoint. I enjoyed reading about the members of Forensic Instincts in The Girl Who Disappeared Twice, but I liked this book even more. I thought that the characters were wonderful, the storyline was gripping, and I already want to read more. This book had everything I could have wanted in a mystery.

Casey Woods and her Forensic Instincts team are contacted by a desparate mother whose only hope for her baby's survivial is to find his m
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

Amanda Gleason's infant son, Justin has a rare immune deficiency that only one person seems to have a cure for...his late father. Paul was murdered before Amanda even had a chance to tell him she was pregnant. Just when time seems to running out a friend sends her a photo that shows a man who looks a lot like Paul. Amanda wonders if Paul may be alive. If he is he could save his son's life. A desperate mother falls at th
Tracy
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a book that once you get caught by the story you just can not put it down. Knowing that an infants life is in the balance makes this story so much more important than if you were just trying to peal back the layers of an onion to get to the truth. The characters are ones that you can really like, that you want them to succeed to save baby Justin. I found it fascinating to see the FI team work to see them dig and keep digging for the truth using all the tools that they have at their disp ...more
Charlotte Guzman
I started out really liking this book a lot. I loved the characters and the mystery surrounding the disappearance of a missing man. The bad guy element had my interest, it was so varied and had me trying to guess who was the main bad guy.
Then it all fell flat in the end and a lot of fluff was thrown out there. I was so disappointed.
I was ready to give it a 4 star but because of the ending I give it a 3 star.
Kathy Martin
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amanda Gleason's baby son is very ill. He needs a stem cell transplant from a matched donor to survive. Unfortunately, Amanda is not a candidate and the baby's father - Paul Everett - was the victim of a presumed homicide though his body was never found. But a friend has sent a cell phone picture that looks like Paul that she recently took in Washington, DC. Amanda takes the picture and all her hopes to Forensic Instincts in the hopes that they will be able to find Paul in time to save his son's ...more
Saturnus
När Paul Everett försvann från jordens yta trodde hans flickvän aldrig att hon skulle få deras gemensamma barn 6 månader senare. Inte trodde hon heller att hennes son skulle lida av en sällsynt sjukdom som gör att han måste ligga i respirator vid 3 års ålder.
Men det är verkligheten och trots att Amanda går igenom en kamp varje dag samtidigt som lille sonnen Justin kämpar för sitt liv, inser hon att Justin inte kommer att överleva på hoppet.
Så hon ringer Forensic Instincts.

Forensic Instincts be
Star
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A no-body homicide, a desperate mother, a critically ill infant, a deep cover-up, and a relentless investigative team make up the strong backbone of The Line Between Here And Gone, the second Forensic Instincts book by Ms. Kane.

Amanda Gleason’s son, Justin, is fighting for his life in the NICU, the unfortunately victim of a rare immunodeficiency disease which could claim his life at any moment. Amanda’s been desperately looking for a bone marrow donor as she is not compatible. Justin’s father is
Ed
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
#2 in the Forensic Instincts. The series has a basically good if not original idea, assemble a team of the best in different disciplines and solve problems - Mission Impossible, The A-Team, U.S.Army Special Forces, etc. The teammates have strong egos and, except for the retired FBI agent, are not averse to breaking rules. So far, so good. The problem is that the book runs 386 pages and could easily be edited to half that. The child's fragile health is discussed ad infinitum, as is the mother's e ...more
Kari
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, kindle
Most people could probably read this as a stand alone book, but I would suggest reading the first one to see how the team got started and the motivation behind what they do.

This time around, they are asked to find Amanda Gleason's former lover. He is probably the only one who can save their infant son's life. The problem is that most people think he is dead Once they start looking into his life, the team finds there is much more than meets the eye. This story had a ton of twists and unexpected t
Darcy
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I really like the team that is Forensic Institute, what really drew me to this story is baby Justin. I don't think that anyone that reads this one will feel any different. The whole story is a race to save Justin's life, but not in the way one would think. Our team of professionals isn't looking for Justin, but for his father, a man who has a really good chance of being a blood match that will save the baby's life.

I was surprised by all the twists and turns that this book took. I felt like
Jackie Lane
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ng-arc
I absolutely adore Kane's books. As with The Girl Who Disappeared Twice, this book did not disappoint. From the first page to the last, I felt compelled to read it.

I absolutely love the team that Kasey has assemble for Forensic Instincts. They are a great group and I love when she adds a new member. She relies heavily on her team and they all pull together to get the job done.

The story of a mother who is watching her child die and could only be saved by a family member struck a chord in my hear
Robin
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, mystery
Amanda Gleason is desperate when she approaches Forensic Instincts for help. Her baby, Justin, is sick with a rare immune deficiency. His best chance for life is a bond marrow transplant from his parents. Amanda is not a match and his father is dead...or is he? Amanda has received information that Paul may actually be alive. She has hired the team at Forensic Instincts to find out if Paul is alive and bring him back to save Justin's life.

This is the second in Kane's Forensic Instincts series. Th
Louisa George
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-group
I received this book as a freebie at a conference, I think, and found it the other day, thought I'd give it a go. I was very pleasantly surprised. It's an excellent crime novel involving a woman who has a desperately ill newborn and is seeking a donor match- when suddenly she hears that the child's dead father has been seen, apparently alive... she enrols the help of Forensic Instincts, a quirky group of crime solvers comprised of an ex navy SEAL, an ex FBI agent, a behaviorist, a techno whizz k ...more
Kelly A
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW, Andrea Kane has done it again. She definitely keeps getting better and better. It was so nice to meet back up with these characters from Forensic Instincts. My heart broke upon hearing baby Justin's story and I was pulling for him the entire time. Twists and Turns: check! I was totally surprised by how the story unfolded, and I can't wait to read more about this team. Especially Claire and Ryan. =)

Bring on the next installment! I hope we don't have to wait long.
Patricia
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Line Between Here and Gone. Amanda Gleason gives birth to a son months after her boyfriend is assumed dead by murder. The child is born with a rare disease, and his best chance for a cure lies with his father. When a photo shows up which appears to be the father, Forensic Instincts is called in. A very good page turner!
David Weinfeld
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
good story. Young woman with newborn that has a genetic defect with no immune system. Only likely donor to save child is with the father, who never knew of the pregnancy, and was supposedly lost in an accident. A search to verify the death or locate the biological father is the basis of the storyl
K.
I can barely remember the description of Ryan (other than "gym rat"), but in my head he looks like Chris Evans playing Jensen in The Losers.

That is a very good look.
Bridgewes
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is now one of my new favorite authors. This actually is the second book in the series. I didn't know that, but it's OK. The Girl Who Disappeared Twice is the first one.
Sylene
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another good read but I felt that it dragged on a bit in the middle. Still, I love the characters ;)
[☆] мєℓαиιє [★]
Ein grossartiges Buch, welches mich positiv überrascht hat.
Kathryn
Jun 12, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: giveaways
Received Andrea Kane's book. Looking forward to reading it!
Jean Browne
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the 'Forensic Instincts' series. The Team is made up individuals who look to get the job done, and they do, by whatever means it takes.

In this book a baby's life is at stake due to a rare immune deficiency. Unfortunately his Mother is not a match and the father is no where to be found. The Team is hired by the Mother to locate the father, who may be a potential match, but the Team encounters many obstacles that lead to more unanswered questions and dead ends.

Although
Rachel Conover
Jul 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF at around 50%. i wanted to like it, and the premise was very enticing, but the writing was SO BAD that i had to stop. these characters are supposed to be former FBI agents and yet they act as though they are teenage girls saying and doing whatever they think agents would do based on the TV shows they've watched. i honestly think i could write a more compelling version of this book. as someone who is interested in true crime, i was hopeful for a book with "sharply drawn characters", but unfor ...more
Candace
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked this book just fine, though after having read the first one just recently, I was a little annoyed how much "recapping" there was about the group, etc. By now I've got a feel for them and what they do and how they do it, etc, so being reminded constantly felt a little redundant. Still, I liked the storyline and I liked all of the characters, so it wasn't time wasted by any means! I'll keep reading this series, hopefully by the third book the author will trust the readers to remember plent ...more
Maude
Aug 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
The writing is atrocious! It reads like we are listening in to a group of 10 year olds planning the classroom play.It is bad writing to have the characters tell each other what they will do, rather than the author tell the reader what happened. This is the format followed by a lot of TV crime shows where there is much talk and little action, because with TV production, action scenes cost more than talk scenes. This is not a consideration with books.
Sue
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another page-turner, by an author that provides a thrilling read with interesting characters. You care about the little baby in the NICU, the medical problems encountered and just want the child to thrive and suvive. I learned some about the problems of finding the right donor for stem cell transplants. The last part seemed to go slowly as most of the plot lines were all tied up and there were few surprizes left, but Idid enjoy the book. Maybe it should be rated 3.5
  • Kiss Of Death (Sophie Anderson, #5)
  • No Excuses: A Memoir
  • Tattooed (Kate Lange #3)
  • Muhammad Ali: Unfiltered
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Hexomancy (Ree Reyes, #3)
  • They Disappeared
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • Maps of Hell
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • Reality Ends Here
  • Beautiful Boys (Beautiful Bastard, #1, #2, #3)
  • Baby Needs A New Pair Of Shoes
  • Reconstructing Brigid
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Deceptive Innocence: Part 2 (Pure Sin, #1.2)
  • Corliss (Girls of Spindrift, #1)
Coming in March 2019 from Andrea Kane: DEAD IN A WEEK.

Andrea Kane is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-nine novels, including fifteen psychological thrillers and fourteen historical romantic suspense titles. With her signature style, Kane creates unforgettable characters and confronts them with life-threatening danger. As a master of suspense, she weaves them into excit

Forensic Instincts (7 books)
  • The Girl Who Disappeared Twice (Forensic Instincts, #1)
  • The Stranger You Know (Forensic Instincts #3)
  • The Silence That Speaks (Forensic Instincts, #4)
  • The Murder That Never Was (Forensic Instincts #5)
  • A Face to Die for (Forensic Instincts #6)
  • Dead in a Week (Forensic Instincts #7; Zermatt Group Thriller #1)