Start by marking “Out of the Blue” as Want to Read:
Out of the Blue

Out of the Blue

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  835 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Faith Smith's sunny life just got a little bit cloudy... Faith Smith, AM-UK!'s face of the morning weather, is used to delivering the forecast. But this surprisingly unglam celeb is not used to being told the forecast-especially when it concerns her own marriage. After years of wedded bliss, there isn't much about her husband, Peter, that this thirty-five-year-old doesn't ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Mira (first published March 5th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Blue

Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Aug 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
Well, this book is ridiculous. It's Red Ink Dress, which tells you it's chick lit, but really, this is pure fluff. Even embarrassing for chick lit, which is saying something. I read this floating around in the pool - it takes about 1/16th of your attention and that's it - simple language, simple plot. The main character is really not very loveable, nor is her obnoxious best friend, because, honestly, I don't think anyone is this naive and over the top. Her relationship with her dog is almost cre ...more
Diana
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
Well, I was so excited to see a new Isabel Wolff title at the library, but that excitement didn't last very long.

I pondered giving up about halfway through the first, highly-annoyingly written chapter. I could not get involved in the emotional stake of any of these vapid, uni-dimensional and quite frankly, idiotic, characters in any way. Perhaps caricatures would be a better description.

The book is clearly dated with values from a previous decade....or two. The characters are naive, immature and
Lesley Ellis
Not my usual type of book but I am clearing out some books from my bookshelf to make more room. This book was bought for me as a present & is not my usual type of fiction. This is a typical Chick Lit novel. It was a bit of frivolous entertainment so made light bedside reading but would never be my choice of reading material. If you enjoy Chick Lit you will love this but if you like a really good story that makes you think, this is not it. I am going to pass this on to a friend who adores Chi ...more
Dania
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually stop reading anything below a 3/5 star rating but I was so hopeful about this one I forced myself through to the end. Pointlessly long, very confusing imagery (why is there so much emphasis on dogs?), and a very predictable but hardly satisfying plot. And tolerating all that for what? The ending plunged me into a pool of regret— completely, transparently rushed.
Ilovetoread2
I was disappointed with this book. I had loved the other two books that I had read by Isabel Wolff, A very picture of You and Vintage affair. This was, I think, written earlier. I found it hard to read the way the conversation was laid out and finally skipped through to find out the predictable ending.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook-books
A quick read, but a bit depressing/aggravating and predictable down to the happy ending. Not my favorite by Wolff.
Clemence D
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai passé un excellent moment avec ce livre ! C'est un très bon chick list !
Michelle
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Krystal
Mar 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
Out of the Blue is a story about Faith, a meteorologist for an early morning news show who finds out her husband of 15 years has had an affair. The book follows Faith through the year as she follows the complicated steps of finding herself, divorce, new relationships, and relationships that have changed.

I wish I had more to say about the synopsis of this book. Unfortunately, those two sentences pretty much sum it up. After the first 50 pages, I considered putting the book down. Then I decided,
Jackie Mceachern
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a long book that took me a little while to get through...but I really loved it. It tells the story of a modern day marriage breakdown between Faith and Peter. They were very young when they got married (20) and face a marital crisis when they're 35, just after their 15th wedding anniversary.

The litmus test for books for me revolves around the charatcers. Are they believable? Can I relate? Do I genuinely care what happens to them? And, most of all, do I miss them when the book is finishe
Cecilia
Oct 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit lovers/women's fiction readers
Shelves: favorites
Faith Smith appears, at the beginning of the novel, to have it all…she has a job she likes (not loves, but it doesn’t matter much to her anyway), well-adjusted children (maybe even a little too well-adjusted), and loving dog, and a happy marriage. When her marriage begins to crumble, Faith’s world starts spiraling out of control. I enjoyed this book because, unlike a lot of stories about relationship difficulties, this one is not overly predictable. Faith tries her best to be a tough lady, but r ...more
NATUI
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed most parts of this book. The author clearly states that the main character is naive, but she drew a very fine line upon which to walk. The character was so naive and blatantly blind and stupid at times that it was hard to stomach. However, if you could convince yourself to read her actions and thoughts as your own inner narrative, I can see what the author was trying to accomplish. All of us have some self-doubt regarding aspects of our lives. If our thoughts were written out verbatim ...more
Mollie
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book was well written, and I liked it, I didn't like it as much as Isabel Wolff's other books. I think it may be because the subject matter was really depressing and I'm also a little tired of the 'husband cheating on his wife and she doesn't know what to do" scenario.

One thing that really impressed me about this book (and all of the others I've read by this author), was the emotion. I felt as though I was feeling right along with the characters. My favorite part of this book, tho
 Gigi Ann
Sep 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
Sometimes it hurts me to give my thoughts about a favorite author, especially when I've read books by that author that I loved...I read two other books by Isabel Wolff and really liked them, however, I can't say that about this book. I really tried to like it but I just couldn't get into this book. The characters are unreal, with no redeeming qualities. I kept reading thinking that it would get better, but it never did. It really was a great disappointment...I can't believe this book was written ...more
Kim
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Blue was published in 2001 and is the follow on book from Minty Malone. Faith and Peter Smith have been married for 15 years. In their early thirties, they married very young and unlike most of their friends of a similar age who are just starting out having a family or just newly married, Faith and Peter have two lovely teenage children. During a surprise anniversary dinner celebration which Faith has arranged for Peter, her long time best friend of 25 years, Lily, makes a suggestive ...more
Shilpa
Sep 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was excited to read this because of nice reviews on the author by others. But I didn't like the book at all. Forced myself to read more than the first 100 pages expecting a turn in engagement level, but got none. Fast forwarded to last 40 pages, the twist was predictable and I didn't find that I missed out on much by skipping bulk of the story :/
Perhaps the writing style is not for me... rambling descriptions on daily interactions and way too much focus on things unnecessary to the story (dog?).
Alison
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ce livre n'est pas le meilleur d'isabel Wolff et je dirai même que c'est son plus mauvais, selon moi.
Il n'y a pas vraiment d'intrigue, je n'ai pas réussi à rentrer complètement dans l'histoire.
Le petit point positif de ce livre est que les détails sur son travail ç la télévision sont intéressants.

Lorsque j'ai lu les autres livres de cette auteur, j'etais passionnée par l'histoire mais pas celui ci.
Si vous n'avez jamais lu de livres d'isabel Wolff ne commencez pas par celui la !
Miki
Jul 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Take a DEEP breath. And one more...okay, ready? Thisbookmademefeelasifthemaincharacterwastellingherwholestorywithouttakingtimetobreatheanywherealongthewaytherewasnoneedforpunctuationorseparatesentencesasthewholethingfeltcrammedtogetheriguessyoucantellididntlikeitverymuchbutireallydidlikeherlaterbooksreadthosetheyaremuchbetter.(pant, pant)

Whew! By the time I got to the end, I felt like I'd run marathon. Uphill.
Jenn
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
I almost can't decide how I feel about this book. It crawled along at first, but picked up enough steam at the end to keep me reading all day just to find out what happens. It was very much a soap opera as far as the plot goes. And her foreshadowing was painfully obvious through the entire book. I want to give it a thumbs down in terms of writing & predictability, but a thumbs half-way-up for entertainment.
Anita Johnson
This author has a true talent for entertaining the reader with sarcastic humor. Faith is a weather woman for a television station in England and her coworkers are a real cast of characters. She has been married for 20 years, has two children and is still a best friend to the poor and ridiculed new girl in class who is now the head of a very successful fashion magazine, "Moi." The story revolves around relationships and is all about answering the question: who can you trust?
Jessica Nyers-Saunders
This was definitely not one of Isabel's best. I'm usually a big fan and can read them quite quickly but the first quarter of 'out of the blue' was kind of slow and hum drum, but i'm not one to not finish a book; The pace did pick up a little and i had a few laughs but i don't think i'll be dying to re read it any time soon.
Phoebe
May 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was alright. The lead seemed like a flake, but the story line was OK. I liked the demise of the marriage as it happened--- just really typical characters overall. Some of the storylines didn't really seem related or significant but they were addressed near the end (although I still think the ending was a bit pulled together for the sake of ending).
Lynne
Dec 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so depressed reading this book that I stopped around page 130. After reading a few reviews I don't believe there is reason to finish as there is no hope for anything redeeming to come. I'm not crazy to continue reading about a couple with such poor judgment. How can I enjoy or get anything beneficial out of that?
Ashley Schembri
I read - was intrigued with how the plot was going to develop. I liked the relationship they had with Graham. Some parts were just too much though - Lily's revenge against Peter, Matt and his grandmother and not to mention the very last part of the book which was disappointing. Thumbs up to the writing style though, that I really liked :)
Amy
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't hate but I didn't like it either. If you read Isabel Wolff's A Vintage Affair and the Very Picture of You, this book will come off as a disappointment. Clearly this was one of Wolff's first books. The main character Faith was super annoying throughout the book. The book itself could have ended 100 pages sooner than it did with a happy ending.
Briana Alzola
Now, I'm an Isabel Wolff fan but this was just ... not good. I found my self struggling to get through it, I didn't like the characters and I just wanted it all to get over and done with.

There were some twists I didn't see coming, so that was good. Still, I'd stick with this writer's other books.
Karschtl
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the blue comes for weather-forecaster Faith the realisation that Pete (her husband of 15 years) is unFaithful to her. After a bit of wallowing she puts herself together and begins looking for new partners herself. And just when she found a suitable and very attractive replacement for Pete, the scumbag comes running back and begs for forgiveness...
Hortensia
Está bien, pero no me encantó.
Tal vez he leído demasiado, pero esta historia, también me ha parecido previsible, lo cual me lleva a aburrirme.
En el fondo, la trama es buena, solo que me parece que la estiraron tanto que termine por añorar el final.
Cathy
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 silly and predictable, and especially disappointing after reading A Vintage Affair. All the characters are caricatures of real people, and none of them act like they're particularly bright. And what's up with the subplots about the pet dogs?
Christina
This is a fun chick lit book that fits summer. I like Faith and Lilly and even Graham. The writing is witty and fun to read. I enjoyed reading this book. Perhaps a bit wordy, but overall witty and enjoyable.
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • It's Not You, It's Me
  • Speechless
  • Technical Hitch
  • Losing It (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Bombshell
  • Loose Screws
  • Love: A User's Guide
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?
  • A Minor Indiscretion
  • A Clean Slate
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • Slim Chance
  • Getting Personal
  • Tart
Isabel Wolff's ten bestselling novels are published worldwide. 'Ghostwritten', set in present day Cornwall and on wartime Java, was published in the UK in March 2014 and will be published in the US in February 2015 as 'Shadows Over Paradise'. 'The Very Picture of You' was published in the UK and the US in October 2011. 'A Vintage Affair', was an Amazon.co.uk 'Best of 2009' title and was shortliste ...more
More about Isabel Wolff...