Start by marking “Where's Spot?” as Want to Read:
Where's Spot?

Where's Spot?

(Spot the Dog)

This bigger, brighter paperback edition of Eric Hill's iconic first lift-the-flap book celebrates 30 years since first publication in hardback. The simple text and colourful pictures will engage a whole new generation of pre-readers as they lift the picture flaps in search of Spot. A number 1 bestseller since it was first published in 1980, this interactive favourite has s ...more
Published October 27th 1983 by Puffin (first published 1980)

Start your review of Where's Spot?
Manny
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Before I'd read Ulysses, I must admit I was sceptical about claims that every novel written since can do little more than recapitulate it in one form or another. But now my eyes have been opened: at a glance, it is obvious that Where's Spot? is in essence no more than an abbreviated, non-sexist, non-speciesist version, retold in a manner suitable for three year olds who like lift-the-flap books.

Penelope (Spot's mother) has evicted Ulysses (Spot's father) from Ithaca. Traumatized, Telemachus (Spo
Erth
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love these books
Scott Rhee
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs, childrens
Eric Hill's "Where's Spot?" is, not to put too fine a point on it, weird.

If I was a toddler (the book's target demographic), I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. It's basically a dog named Sally looking for her pup, Spot. As it is, I don't think it's really all that terrific in the way of plot. There's very little character development and nothing in the way of conflict, really, because we never get the sense of horror or dread from Sally that we may never actually find Spot. Finding Spot
Chantal
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short and simple story about a puppy that has hidden. I have no clue why I never have read this little book. Cute and exciting for kids.

This book is in the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up challenge I am doing.
Anquan Le
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers.
Recommended to Anquan by: No one.
Words cannot describe the inspiration one can attain from this masterpiece. This is a must read for any human being.
kayla
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I did what I had to do to finish my challenge..............
Jon Nakapalau
A classic - was so happy to introduce this book to my friends 3 year old son - the smiles and the laughter made my day!
Bill
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kinda concerning that these people have a snake, a hippo, and a lion living in their home.
Sophie Crane
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Nostalgia hit me like a brick with this book! I remember it from my own childhood.
Christina Packard
A very short well done flap opening type of book.
Elaine
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytimes
Really strange animals in that house!
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Absolutely adorable and my kiddo loves it!
Zoe's Human
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt
A humorous lift-the-flap book of hide-and-seek adventure. Delightful for toddlers.

Ages: 1-3
Themes: dogs, hide-and-seek, dinnertime
Hollie Marsh
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My mum gave me this book recently for my baby boy and it brought back so many memories! I don't know why but I treasured this book for many of my younger years. I loved the illustrations and opening the pop out pages to try and find spot. It was my 'go to' book and I'd read it again and again. It seems my little boy is a fan already as he eagerly grabs the book off me to open the pages and the flaps on the pages. He adores dogs so I think this book will become a favourite for him too!
Kathryn
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Purely adorable.
Rebekah Shuffle
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of the best ever lift-the-flap-books created and the first book in the series about the mischievous Spot the dog. This book introduces the reader to Spots family and Spots home, during the book the children can relate to familiar objects within the book and to objects they are familiar with. The children can pretend to be detectives and the mystery is ‘Where’s Spot?’ which can entice the children to concentrate on the book; the flaps makes the book interactive, the adult reading the ...more
Lara's
Oct 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents & children 1 to 5 years old.
Shelves: board-books
Synopsis : A classic tale of a mother dog searching for her own lost puppy, finding eight other animals hiding around the house before finding her own. Fun, interactive flaps conceal the animals.
Review : What can I say? I love flap, flip, "reveal the hidden surprise" books and this one is no exception. Although I would be hesitant to recommend this book to any tiny child without some adult supervision as the flaps aren't sturdy enough to take aggressive flipping. The story leads the reader
Hassan Ali
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book review 6 - Where’s Spot? - Eric Hill

This is another great ‘lift-the-flap’ book and one, which I recommend all adults to read to their children or buy the book for their children to read. The book is about a mother dog searching for her lost puppy (Spot) and as she roams around the house she finds eight other animals before she finds Spot. This creates opportunity for children to mimic animal sounds. This book is simple to read and the text is large and clear. Each page contains a picture of
Tahmin Nessa
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Eric Hill’s “Where’s Spot?” is a classic story of a mother dog searching for her lost puppy. Spot’s mum searches for Spot all across finding various other animals before finding spot in a basket.

I personally had used this book as stimulus within the EYFS curriculum as it allows children to begin and develop their understanding of propositional language, for example is he behind the door? Is he under the table and so on. Furthermore, many children enjoy this book very much as it is an interactiv
Mark Rasem
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
'Where's Spot'? central character Spot is the well-known, friendly puppy with instantly recognisable yellow fur with brown spots.
In this particular book in the series of books featuring Spot, his mother Sally searchs the house trying to find him. The story follows Sally looking all over the house in various places in search of Spot. In each different scene, a question appears asking whether Spot will appear e.g. 'behind the door? No!'.
The object/s that could potentially reveal Spot appear as a
Mamoon Razaq
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A really charming tale for children about.

Dinner is ready and Spot's mother is looking for him around the house. There are mystery flaps throughout the book which you flip and they tell you that Spot is not there with a guess.

Spot's searches for him through the house but where will she find spot.

A book that children will love as they will be looking for flaps all over the pages and at the same time they will be learning about things in the house.

The book has great colourful pages and the fla
Little John
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a lift-the-flap book. The flaps were pretty sturdy, but it didn't take too much effort for him to tear them off. He still loves the book, though! (We just cover the part of the pages that are missing flaps with our hands now.) This book has great interaction. On each page, LittleJohn answers the question "Is he [here]?" with "No!" and then tells us what animal is there under the flap. He really enjoys this book, and likes saying the animal names in funny voices like his Daddy.
Shirley Revill
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, animals, kids
My children and grandchildren have all loved where's Spot and it's a firm favourite on my bookshelf.
The younger children love to find where spot is hiding and even the babies can't stop giggling when spot is finally found.
The older children love to draw pictures of this loveable pup and still listen to the story along with the younger children.
I also admit to loving Spot because this book has made possible some really special family time spent together.
Recommended.
Nancy
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: two year olds
Shelves: childrens
My grandchildren have LOVED this book. Young preschoolers enjoy the interaction that goes along with the story plus opening the flaps. It is definitely a book to read with a child as they tend to be a bit hard on the flaps without adult supervision. It is fairly easy to make up your own words to vary the adult reading experience so you can stand to read it one more time.
Dixie Goode
There will apparently never be a finish date for this book. We ( my granddaughter and I) reach the last page, she turns the book to the front cover and signs "more". - She us thirteen months old and will look for Spot for forty five minutes at a session. Actually she could go longer, but grandma can't.
Lucy Sands
Toddler's love this easy to use 'lift-the-flap' book with hidden animal surprises. Whenever my daughter discovers that in fact we have not found spot and merely stumbled across a hippopotamus or lion in the house, she loves yelling ‘NO!’ A young child’s classic that encourages great interaction and can be enjoyed by all!
Freya
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
FAB!!
Nya H.
Nov 21, 2014 added it
OMG i love this book. This is my favorite child hood book.
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
Delightful lift the flap book with large easy text for very young children.🐶
Dana Altman
Title: Where’s Spot?
Author: Eric Hill
Genre: Toy or moveable (lift the flaps)
Theme: Animals
Opening line/sentence: “That spot! He hasn’t eaten his supper. Where can he be?”
Brief Book Summary: A mother dog is looking for her pup, Spot and finds 8 other animals before finding Spot in a basket.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Jeanenne (BookHive (www.bookhive.org))

Sally the dog is looking for Spot the puppy in this classic lift-the-flap book by Hill. Join S
MCC Children's Li...: Children's Book 1 3 Feb 05, 2012 05:05PM

• Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Elmer
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • The Gruffalo (Gruffalo, #1)
  • The Going to Bed Book
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Room on the Broom
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Eric Gordon Hill OBE was a popular author and illustrator of children's picture books, best known for his character Spot the Dog. His works have been widely praised for their contributions to child literacy. He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours.

Spot the Dog (1 - 10 of 158 books)
  • Spot Goes to School
  • Spot Goes On Holiday
  • Spot Visits His Grandparents
  • Spot Goes to the Farm
  • Spot Loves His Daddy
  • Spot's Birthday Party
  • Good Night, Spot
  • Spot Goes to the Beach (color)
  • Spot Loves His Mum
  • Spot Goes to the Park (color)

News & Interviews