Start by marking “How to Negotiate Everything” as Want to Read:
How to Negotiate Everything

How to Negotiate Everything

There’ll be no more hearing “no” after this clever picture book teaches you how to get everything you want.

Have you ever wanted something and been told “No”? Then this is the book for you. Through several simple steps, you will learn the best way to ask for what you want, how to ask for more of what you want, and the importance of not overreaching. With helpful illustratio
Published May 21st 2013 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

Lisa Vegan
I love Lisa Lutz’s Spellman books; I enjoyed Heads You Lose and all the Spellman books are among my favorite books, and I’m eagerly looking forward to the next installment, coming out next month.

I knew about this picture book well in advance and, knowing its place in the Spellman books, thought the idea was inspired.

However, I’m disappointed.

First of all, I guess I was expecting a parody or something geared to adults, not a book published by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, although
Robb Michael g
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like this book but I'm having trouble seeing it as a children's book. I don't have any children to read this, so I'd like to know what children think of it. On the one hand it seems to me, children would like the idea of a child wanting an elephant. They might also like the idea of getting dessert even if they don't eat their broccoli. On the other hand I don't think the concept of negotiating for something really fits within the 32 pages of this book. Add to that the additional idea of settin ...more
Jen
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
This book is for children who are 6 going on 30. While I appreciate some of the definitions of words and the education in the fine art of negotiating, the undertone is that you can manipulate people. Mom's face is never shown, the back of her head is shown twice. Mom is called "a mark" and thus separated from personhood as an object.
I do appreciate that mom is shown doing several different activities, one of those being working under the car. I also appreciate that the book tells kids which thin
Libby
Jun 18, 2013 added it
I will read this book only if eventually, before I die I can have a pet baby elephant.

What? Elephants aren't allowed in apartments? Well then maybe I need to start by negotiating for some land...

Okay. I'll settle for a pet turtle. For now.
Sandra
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Fun and Irreverent how to negotiate from a child's point of view. I love Lutz's biting wit and it translates well in this quirky children's book. I will use this book as a fun resource when I train Adults on the art of negotiating.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
This was a hilarious little book that compliments the 5th Spellmans book (which because I had an ARC didn't have the drawings in). Also, gives insight into Rae...
Marya
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
In trying to be a parody, this book actually offers some helpful advice on the topic of negotiation in a way children can understand. But, as a parody, that information is undercut by humorous misinformation. At least I think it's supposed to be funny. At one point in the "negotiation", the boy uses outright threats to get his way. Not good. And in the end, the boy does get his baby elephant once he becomes President of the United States and can spend his days eating nothing but ice cream with i ...more
e. l. meadows
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Humourous children's book that adults will also enjoy. Of course, if your children are particularly clever, you may NOT want them reading this book, haha.
Michelle
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A cute and hilarious book. Can be enjoyed by both children and adults. Witty and funny!
Becky
I thought the concept of this book was wonderful - teach kids to negotiate for what they want. Maybe if the leaders of the future learned real negotiation (i.e. give and take; compromise), maybe the Congress might be able to get something done!

But this was not to be. The book promises that "You CAN get everything you want," but then the next section talks about "managing expectations" - in other words, only want what you can get. This is an idea that many adults have difficulty with. This is the
Jason Sharp
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it
First of all, I love the illustrations, it's childlike and has almost a Chibi style. I also love the concept of the book, but it's a bit lacking in execution, the book is effectively teaching young children to manipulate their parents.

Early on, the child says "I will not eat any vegetables at all unless you promise that you will take me to get ice cream" and the mother agrees. I'm not a parent quite yet, but even I know that this is setting a dangerous precedent. It's unlikely to work but if it
Glen U
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it
First of all, this "childrens" picture book could only be enjoyed by a child with an IQ above 140. It is clever and funny and colorful with great illustrations but the vocabulary is a little advanced for a six year old. That being said, it is a very enjoyable aside of anyone who appreciates Lisa Lutz's writing. I can picture Izzy Spellman, or even better Rae Spellman, curled up in a corner reading this book as a child. Wonderful addition to the Spellman series.
Margi
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fans of the Spellman Series get a taste of How to Negotiate Everything in the series’ fifth installment, Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz. Written by fictional character, David Spellman, this children’s book is hilarious entertainment for all ages. The adorable story and illustrations deliver valuable life lessons: don’t have tantrums, don’t be a crybaby, dare to dream, and utilize effective negotiation tactics to get what you want.
Kate Hastings
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Age??? I love the concept of this book, but I don't think the average child would know how to manage expectations for what they can or cannot ask for. However, I do like the idea of having kids think about what other people want as a way of problem solving and compromise. Ultimately this is a book without an audience.
Ivy
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
This book is hilarious. It is a must read for parents, but be careful when allowing your child to read it or you may be outwitted. However, if you raise a skilled negotiater you could have that ever helpful laywer in the family. Lisa Lutz did a great job. A wonderful picture book. I will be requesting it for our school library.
Peacegal
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Children are presented with the idea of rationally negotiating for what they want, rather than just pitching a fit.

Humane-minded families probably won't be so thrilled when the young protagonist visits a pet shop that sells puppies, and is purchased a turtle that he doesn't even want.

Marcie
I like the concept of this book, but am not sure I like the execution at all. I guess teaching kids how to negotiate successfully is definitely something I want to see, but this books seems all about negotiations for the materialistic and self serving stuff. I'm sure I'm taking it too seriously, but it just didn't turn me on.
Amy
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Stink! This book could've been great but why oh why did they illustrate it with such a small child? This book is geared towards at least a 2nd grader and they are showing a toddler in the main role. This will turn-off older kids and loose the very reader it is meant for.
Great text, cool idea--bummer.
Jocelyn
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teaching your children how and when to negotiate and when "the ask" is just too big - HILARIOUS. I think we all want our own pet elephant; am i right? It actually is good for kids who need help understanding how to properly react when the answer to every question seems to be "No!"
Tara Choate
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Amusing with an effort to keep the joke kid-friendly. I can imagine reading parts to an actual child. Think authors could have gone further with the actual idea of negotiation and keeping emotions in check. Elephant idea was too much.
Bethe
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bookaday #59. Not sure who the audience is for this book - a picture book version for adults wanting quick tips for negotiation? Kids learning how to negotiate with parents/adults? Goony illustrations to boot!
Salsabrarian
An amusing picture book for future business moguls! Talk about expanding one's vocabulary: negotiate, persistent, overreaching, and rational are all explained and illustrated in a way that I think most kids would get!
Kelsey Bates
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Such a funny book for kids about negotiating. With lessons on "managing expectations" and "overreaching" as well as a glossary with words such as "mark", this book is fun for both parents and children! Keep an eye out for the little turtle, one of my favorite characters!
Kim
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
very cute idea. i did not listen to it but the story was very funny. i'm wondering if it would be able to stand on its own though. i don't know if it's funny if you haven't read the spellman books.
Penny McGill
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very funny to read aloud to my girls. There was a little too much good advice on negotiating - I'm sure I'll regret letting them in on some of these tactics - but this is also a book that will give any adult some good information and it's wonderfully funny.
Michaela Bench
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can't believe this actually exists!!! Only read AFTER finishing the Spellman Files series :-)
Deb
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Where was this book when I wanted a pet elephant and each parent agreed only if I kept it at the others house?
Nancy
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book that will help kids learn the meaning of the words "overreach" "negotiate" and "mark". I'm looking forward to one of the followup books mentioned at the end: "That's enough out of you"
Stacy
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was fun to read the book that shaped Rae's personality so much. I love the Spellman family.
Rachel
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Portrays big concepts well, has some interesting classroom applications.

• Only Opal
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein
  • These Days
  • The Chickens Build a Wall
  • Things That Are Most in the World
  • Junior
Lisa Lutz is the New York Times bestselling author of the six books in the Spellman series, How to Start a Fire, Heads you Lose (with David Hayward), and the children's book, How to Negotiate Everything (illustrated by Jaime Temairik). Her latest book, The Passenger, a psychological thriller, will be published March 2016 by Simon and Schuster. Lutz has won the Alex award and has been nominated for ...more