Start by marking “The Boy and the Airplane” as Want to Read:
The Boy and the Airplane

The Boy and the Airplane

When a little boy’s prized toy airplane lands on a rooftop, he makes several rescue attempts before devising an unexpected solution.
Published April 2nd 2013 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published February 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy and the Airplane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy and the Airplane

Lauren
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
On the surface, this is a really sweet book about a boy and his airplane--something that many of us can relate to if we ever had a favorite toy as a child. The drawings are fun and simple, yet still elicit emotion as you follow the boy and his plane.

As you read, it hits you on a much deeper level--the joy of something new and meaningful, which only grows more important as time passes and you realize what life's about. The ending, particularly great, brings the story full circle...how life is fle
Angela
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book should be named, "The Most Patient Boy EVER".

Recommended for it's mesmerizing, worldessness and enormity.

Kelsey
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Toys: Airplane

Another great wordless picture book! It's too bad that parents are so reluctant to pick these up. New mission? Me thinks yes!

Because I'm such a hilarious person (ahem) all of the picture books I luuurv are almost all very funny. Rarely do I "5 star" a picture book not reliant on humor to push the book along. Well, Pett presents a boy and his airplane which, during playtime, gets stuck on top of a roof. What's the best solution when your ladder doesn't reach?
David Schaafsma
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really like most silent comics and picture books, seems like, but my kids (8-10) don't as much. Why is that? I don't know.

But I really loved this sweet and hopeful book which tells the story of a boy who gets a toy airplane for a present, sails it on to his roof, and can't get it down. . . for a REALLY long time. The resolution (that others might tell you about, but not me) (and which is the basis for the sweetly improbably ending) my (more cynical) kids thought was stupid, but I loved.

I also
Kaetlin V
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The Boy and the Airplane by Steve Anthony is a wordless picturebook that tells the touching story of a boy and his red airplane. When someone gives a young boy a present, he opens it to find out that it is a small toy airplane. Taking it outside, the boy plays with it until he accidentally gets it stuck on the roof of his house. He tries a variety of tactics to try to get it down; however, much to his dismay, nothing works, until he gets the idea to grow a tree. Although I didn’t know how I felt
Cat Castillo
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I first noticed how this book, like the other wordless pictures books I picked up was a landscape. Since the author/illustrator only has pictures to tell a story about a long period of time, it makes sense to have a more natural view. The landscape gives us a sweeping view, like how we see the earth but can also be used to show the vastness of time and life. The only typography that's given to the readers is the title, which looks handwritten in pencil and shaded in, just like a child trying to ...more
Leslie
This text-less picture book begs for a quiet moment in which imagination might take flight. And yet, it also invites proper sound effects and zooming about with our own pretty red airplane. The Boy and the Airplane reads like a silent film of old if they were played like the comics drawn at the time (ala Little Orphan Annie). We are its accompaniment until, well, even the boy grows silent after his plane becomes stranded on the roof–his mouth literally disappears.

The story begins with a boy rece
Bryanna Johnson
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a very charming tale of a young boy who receives the gift of a toy airplane. The boy loves his toy airplane and plays with it everywhere and all the time. One day the young child was outside throwing the plane as high as it could go. He kept throwing it and throwing it until it didn't come down. The boy sees that he has gotten the plane stuck on the roof. He, as any young child would, tries everything he can think of to retrieve his distressed airplane; from lassoing it as a cowboy to ho ...more
Courtney  Reath
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book instantly got an extra star when I read on the very last page, "For Tiffany, who was worth the wait." And that's just the last page!

This is a charming little book. There are no word to read, so you have to let the illustrations speak for themselves. I always get excited when a book is like this because when I'm reading books to kids I don't actually have to read it to them (heheh), and I've always felt when it comes to picture books and graphic novels if they're using a lot of narrati
Tasha
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This wordless picture book tells the story of a young boy who is merrily playing with his brand-new red airplane. He runs with it, runs around it pretending to be a plane himself, and eventually throws it up into the air. It lands on the roof where the boy where the boy is unable to reach it using a ladder or anything else that he tries. He sits in discouragement under a tree and then is inspired when a maple seed drifts down and lands in his hand. He plants the seed, watching it grow through th ...more
Heidi-Marie
Not as touching for me as the Girl and the Bicycle. And I couldn't help thinking that he could just have asked a taller person to use the ladder.... But it's still cute to see the boy go through ideas, and then waiting through his final idea (which was funny and also sad). The ending was sweet though. The kids would follow this much better in storytime, and probably get a laugh from it. Worth trying.

7/8/15 Been planning to read this for months. Put it in my Machines & Things theme. But as I
Rll52013_stephanieroche
"The Boy and the Airplane" is a beautiful work of realistic fiction. In this wordless picture book, the illustrations depict a simple, yet somewhat surprising plot line. As the story begins, a young boy is enjoying his toy airplane in an indiscriminate setting (the illustrations are simple sketches on solid-color, muted backgrounds with little detail). Unfortunately, the boy's airplane gets stuck on the roof, and after trying several different things to get it down, he comes up with a master pla ...more
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a clever and elegant book. I have to admit that as I flipped through the book, I was not initially impressed but once I was hooked, I had to read it again to really enjoy the story. A boy is handed a box with a toy airplane in it. He plays with it, zooming around, until the plane gets stuck on a roof. He tries a variety of solutions to retrieve the plane and finally decides to plant a tree (!) so he can reach the roof. The next series of illustrations shows the boy growing up and the tree g ...more
Becky B
A boy is enjoying playing with his new toy plane, but when it gets stuck on the roof every attempt to get it down seems to fail. He comes up with one last plan, a plan that will take a lot of patience, and in the end it works.

I can’t imagine anyone waiting decades for a tree to grow big enough to get a toy off a roof. It’s a good story about patience, but maybe not very realistic. I adore Mark Pett’s illustration style, though. It’s very simple, but so expressive and delightful. Read the book to
Dimity Powell
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
A wordless picture book that does not obscure it's profound simplicity the way some wordless picture books can. Elegantly depicted in sepia tones, this is a cyclical tale mirroring life, inviting independent thinking and celebrating tenacity.But of course, that's merely how I read it.
Edward Sullivan
If patience is a virtue, this may be the most virtuous character of all time. A touching, wise, and completely delightful wordless story.
Cara LoPresti
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordless
1. This book has not received any awards
2. This book is appropriate for PreK through 2nd grade
3. Summary- This book is about a little boy who gets a new red toy air plane which he loves so much that he plays with it everyday until it gets stuck on a roof. He tries many different ways to get the airplane down, but when it does not work he plants a tree and wait for it to grow as tall as the roof. When the tree finally grows, the little boy is an old man so he gifts the red toy plane and gives it
Cassaday
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The Boy and the Airplane" by Mark Pett has a plain and simply cover with a somewhat paper bag color cover with makes the book very minimalistic and lets the small drawings so all the speaking for the book. The story is about how a little boy receives a paper airplane and is playing with it ad having fun until he accidentally flies it up onto the roof. He then tries to think of ways to get it down including using a ladder, a lasso, knocking it down with a baseball, a pogo stick, and a water hose ...more
Adassa Delgado
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5

I loved all the picture books that I read this week. Something that stood out to me was that the toy airplane was the only object with color, and it was a very strong red. Another thing that I noticed was that there was a bird throughout the pages. I feel like it was a bit of mockery of the plane, because birds can control their flight.

The picture book is about a curly haired boy, and we watch him play with his red airplane. He eventually throws the plane and it begins to soar, until i
Alicia Thompson
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordless
As other reviewers have felt, I I loved this book more than my children. It was a five-star book for me. They all gave it four stars. It's a beautiful story.

All of us immediately appreciated this is by the creator of The Girl and the Bicycle. and this is the same type of feel. Gorgeous illustrations. And an even more gorgeous message. It is always better to give than to receive, even the things we hold most dear.

A brief synopsis. A little boy is gifted an airplane. He loses it on the roof of th
Sean
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Mark Pett's wordless picture book about a boy's perseverance and interesting approach to solving a problem.
Pett's book is in landscape form which lends itself nicely, at times, to the movement and the perspective of the toy airplane. This is especially effective on the sixth turn of the page. Additionally, the book is similar to a graphic novel in it's use of comic strip spaces just without the gutters.
Pett's color palette is quite muted as most pages are in sage green, otherwise the only except
Brandee Stapp
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Text-to-self: I relate to this book because as a child, I have had toys go into the neighbors yard or on a rough or in a creek and I had to think of ways to get it back.
Text-to-text: This book reminds me of a book called Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I am reminded of this book because the main character has a beloved hatchet that helps him survive, and at one point in the book, he loses it and has to find it.
Text-to-world: I believe this book can relate to any child that has accidentally lost somet
Luis Flores
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adam
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The genre is realistic fiction because it involves events that can easily happen in real life.
Target audience: Primary (K-3)
Text-to-Self: I used to lose a lot of toys and balls, especially by accidentally kicking them into trees or onto the roof of my house, and my dad would always have to get the biggest ladder we had and try to knock them back down.
Text-to-Text: It reminds me of Sidewalk Flowers by Sydney Smith because the illustrations of both are done in watercolors.
Text-to-World: The book r
Jessica Maiorano
Title: The Boy and the Airplane
Author: Steve Anthony
Illustrator: Steve Anthony
Genre: Wordless Picture Book
Theme(s): Airplanes, Growth

Brief Book Summary:
In this wordless picture book, a young boys toy airplane lands on his roof. He plants a tree and as the tree grows, he grows. The little boy turns into an adult and the toy is still on the roof. The story unfolds and reveals a surprising message by the end.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:

• Horn Book
A little boy's beloved toy airplane
Cheryl
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Daniel
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quickly read this at the library this afternoon and it made me smile a big goofy smile at the end. Reading it again (twice) later this evening with my nearly three-year-old son, I picked up on a major detail that I had missed the first time which made it all the better. No words in this book, but the pictures tell a good story. And there is plenty of content for young readers to ask questions about. I'm certain that I'll be reading this a couple more times before returning it to the library.
Emily Y
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Target Audience: Children grades PreK-2
Text-to-Text: The Boy and the Airplane made me think of the Little Golden Book, Planes based on the Disney movie.
Text-to-Self: I relate to this book because I am fascinated by airplanes and my brother in law is a pilot.
Text-to-World: This book made me ponder about the Wright brothers and if they had ever thought about flying throughout their childhood.
Hannah Berenzweig
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book did not contain very much color, except for the vibrant red of the airplane. I wish this book had contained more color which could possibly intrigue children ma bit more. The boy loses his airplane and comes up witrh various solutions to get it off the roof, which was a good plot and was very entertaining.
Sandy
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this wordless book was cute, my 7 year old however, was not a fan. She thought the pictures were too dark and dreary and found the story to be boring. So we are splitting the difference and going with 3 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »