Start by marking “Killing Time in Crystal City” as Want to Read:
Killing Time in Crystal City

Killing Time in Crystal City

A teen runs away from his broken life and invents a new one in this dazzling adventure from Printz Honor winner and National Book Award finalist Chris Lynch.
Crystal City called for him, and Kevin answered. And why wouldn’t he? His relationship with his father is broken—as is his arm. With barely anyone to miss him or care if he’s gone, it seemed like the perfect time for K
Published January 13th 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Killing Time in Crystal City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Time in Crystal City

Testosterone Level: Epic
Talky Talk: Vague...
Bonus Factor: Shocking Twists
Bromance Status: Vacation Bud

Read the full book report here.
Max Cohen
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Summary: After a fight with his father that left his right arm broken, Kevin runs away from home. His destination is Crystal City where his mysterious uncle Syd lives. Kevin hopes to start a new life for himself in the strange new town.

Analysis: Chris Lynch’s writing style is very captivating. He uses flashbacks throughout the story to give the reader insight into Kevin's old life. They are placed chronologically in the book so that they form a story of their own. Between the flashbacks he tells
Claire Berslow
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written and with a good amount of character development. Could have used ever so slightly more narrative.
Kate
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
A brief summary of this book:

A kid runs away from home. Nothing happens for over 200 pages. Someone is killed. Nothing happens for the remaining pages. The end.
Denise
Oct 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very disappointed in this title especially Chris Lynch's novels were always sure things.
Barbara
Not sure where he belongs or where he fits, seventeen-year-old Kevin tries to leave his past behind by heading to Crystal City where his uncle lives. As the story develops, at first Kevin seems to be fleeing an abusive father, but readers quickly realize that there is both more and less to his story of how his arm was broken and to why he has decided to run away. He meets two females almost immediately, both of whom couldn't be more different. Molly is fragile, drawn to men who hurt her, while S ...more
Angie Rogers
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-lit-fall-2015
I really like this book. To me chris lynch is a very real writer and I like that. This book is about a boy who has a bad home life and tries to get out of it and he has a bad run in with his dad and ends up breaking his arm so that was the last straw for him so he goes on a journey to crystal city and meets some friends on the way gets into trouble and eventually to crystal city where more of his complications happen.

I dont know why I really like this genre of books. I really like the reality of
Celeste Porche
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, young, adult, boy, boys, catcher, in, the, rye, coming
When Kevin left his mother's house and showed up on his father's doorstep, he didn't get the welcome he was expecting. After what he decides are irreconcilable conflicts, he leaves again, this time for his uncle Syd's - the black sheep and his father's hated younger brother, who lives in a town called Crystal City. He meets two homeless girls at the bus station on his way into town. Once again, things don't play out quite as he has envisioned them. The story tells what happens over the course of ...more
Lonna Pierce
Mar 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Kevin's parents have a bitter divorce & his father moved out. When Kevin tries to join his emotionally unavailable dad, he receives a less than warm welcome, and a tense relationship is made worse. Enraged, he runs away, and flashbacks with his great pal, Jasper, reveal the depth of Kevin's struggle & self-pity. In Crystal City, he finds shelter with his secretive uncle & searches for a "tribe" with which he can fit in. Occasionally humorous, flippant, perspicacious, disturbing, & ...more
Alyssa
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I just didn't really like it overall- the characters weren't likable and I didn't like how the story unfolded. With the cast being pictured on the cover, I would assume the character would have more realistic difficulties with it and not be able to say, cut a steak. Overall, I wouldn't recommend as it was just a filler and not really worth the time.
Sean E.D. Kerr
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredibly fun book. I am partial to "coming of age" stories, especially when there are questions of sexuality involved.

The book was relatable, the narrative was clever, thoughtful and amusing. I would recommend this to anyone who likes an easy read about a teenager trying to redefine who he thinks he is.
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't get the point of this book - it just seemed like a bunch of ideas (teen running away to the Black Sheep Uncle, teens living on the fringes of society, teens skateboarding, bad relationships with parents) and blended into a story of sorts. Almost a DNF, but I did skim most without losing too much of the thread.

ARC provided by publisher.
Nidia Rodriguez
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kevin needs a new start and thinks that there is no better place for that than Crystal City. So he runs away from home to his uncle who is welcoming and just what he needs. But soon, Kevin finds himself in a precarious situation and realizes sometimes the things you run from are not as bad as the ones to which you run.
Lynn
Sep 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I felt like I waited a long time for something important to happen, and by the time something did happen, I was kind of past caring. I wanted to like Kevin, but his decisions and his blindness to the true situations of those around him bothered me.
Ashton
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't think this was a very good book at all, It slow and boring.
Edie
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Chose this book because I think it might appeal to YA guys. Not sure that I would recommend it though. Not much going on but angst until the last two or so chapters.
Nicole
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, realistic, lgbtqia
For older teens. The unreliable narrator wasn't as interesting as he was meant to be. Older teen leaves home and bums around in Crystal City for awhile. Realistic except for the mafia uncle.
Marilyn
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-16
I like Lynch as a writer. He deals with teen homelessness in this story.
Ms. Yingling
Too Young Adult. Liberally sprinkled with f-bombs, plus slower and more introspective than my students tend to like. Drat. I wish Lynch would do more middle grade.
Sophie Brookover
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, 2015
Ok, but not memorable & I really objected to the portrayals of both the girls & the homeless characters.
Jenn
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 15-16-gw
I normally enjoy all of Mr. Lynch's titles. This one just didn't keep my interest, so it took me much longer to finish than I expected.
Kerri
Feb 01, 2015
Michelle Grogan
May 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Chris Lynch is the Printz Honor Award-winning author of several highly acclaimed young adult novels, including KILL SWITCH, ANGRY YOUNG MAN, and INEXCUSABLE, which was a National Book Award finalist and the recipient of six starred reviews. He is also the author of FREEWILL, GOLD DUST, ICEMAN, GYPSY DAVY, and SHADOWBOXER, all ALA Best Books for Young Adults; EXTREME ELVIN WHITECHURCH, and ALL THE ...more