Start by marking “A Little Book of Sloth” as Want to Read:
A Little Book of Sloth

A Little Book of Sloth

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  1,337 Ratings  ·  370 Reviews
Cozy up with adorable baby sloths in this irresistible photographic picture book.Hang around just like a sloth and get to know the delightful residents of the Avarios Sloth Sanctuary in Costa Rica, the world’s largest sloth orphanage. You’ll fall in love with bad-boy Mateo, ooh and ahh over baby Biscuit, and want to wrap your arms around champion cuddle buddy Ubu!

From Brit
Published March 5th 2013 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about A Little Book of Sloth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Book of Sloth

karen
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
okay, so i know i just recently reviewed a sloth book, but then i was out on the town yesterday, i saw this book and i was still so high on sloth-fever, i had to buy it as well. so you are going to have to deal with more sloths from this corner. and i warn you, sloth-fever is super contagious. c'mere and let me cough on you.

cough.

photo DSC01891_zpsc0e1878f.jpg

so, down costa rica way, there is a sloth sanctuary called slothville. there one can find 150 sloths, all different kinds, living in harmony and community, and this bo
Miriam
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Here is the author with a sloth:

The text is fairly informative. Sometimes the cutesiness of the humor is a bit too-heavy-handed, but whatever, you're here for the sloth photos.

If you don't feel happier while looking at these pictures then your soul is dead to cute and I don't know what to prescribe for you.
Lisa
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So sloths are all the rage. You may be wondering why. Well get this book and wonder no more. Apparently sloths are the most precious little bundles of fuzz on earth. These pictures are unbelievably cute. These are real sloths from a Costa Rican sanctuary. They have cute little names and funny little habits, like Mateo who likes to cuddle with his yellow and orange stuffed friend, Mr. Moo. You have never seen anything as cute as Mateo getting his snug on with Mr. Moo. The kids and I love this boo ...more
Lisa Vegan
This is the first review I’ve tried to write since I learned yesterday about Amazon buying Goodreads. Between my distress over that and other upsets, I’m not in the mood to write reviews, but I’ll take a stab at it. (I have a hard time reading and an even more challenging time writing when I am depressed or anxious, and I’m very nervous about this site’s future.)

However, I’m nervous about having my reviews here now. I do not want Amazon to own them, have control over them, have them on their sit
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before I read this book, I was always unable to answer when people asked what my favorite book was. First place!
Arielle Walker
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: visual, non-fiction
Ridiculously squeal-out-loud adorable.
Blanco Meyers
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
There were some very cute pictures of sloths, and I learned quite a few things about them.

However there were too many inconsistencies with the language and tone.
On one page we read about "cuddle puddles" and "poo poles" and then we encounter "eccentric etiquette", "Swiss finishing schools" and "fancy arboreal acrobatics"
Stick with the simple, effective language to go with the cute pictures, include the facts and ditch the attempt at witty repertoire. It's like an adult trying to speak slang like
Michelle
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much that I renewed it from the library until I couldn't renew it anymore, and after returning it, I went to Barnes and Noble on the same day to buy it.

Adorable, funny, and (kind of) informative.

Though I picked up the book for adorable photos (it did not disappoint), there were some facts sprinkled in with the super cute sleepy sloth pics and sloth jokes. E.g. There are three-toed and two-toed sloths, and the two toed sloth looks "like a cross between a wookie and a pig."
N
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
So I was thinking I wanted to get a Labradoodle but now I'm leaning towards sloth. It would sure beat the hell out of those cuddle pillows.
Emily
So freaking adorable. Sloth...in...onesie!!!
Lesley
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal
We went to the zoo last weekend and watched the sloths move very slow. They were fun to watch so when the library had a book on sloths -grabbed it up! What a cute overload. Didn't know there was a center for orphaned sloths. Good info and lots of very cute pictures of some of the residents at the center in Costa Rica.
Julie
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Amazing! Cute pictures, educational & fun! I loved the fact that the author doesn't talk down to her readers, instead she engages us with her conversational style & introduces us to sloths with passion & enthusiasm. This book has wide appeal to people of all ages.
Phyllis
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aly and I read this together and honestly, I never thought I'd ever read a book about sloths. It took about 29 minutes. They're cute! Who knew?
F
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
no words to describe how amazing this book is! So cute! Love love love it! xx
OMG!!! the cuteness contained in this book should come with a warning. it's like a basket full of snoozy kittens to the 10th power. I can hardly stand it. I think I'll read it again...
Michelle
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: level-juvenile
I almost died from the cuteness. This is possibly the most adorable nonfiction book ever published. In between bouts of SQUEEEEEE, I did manage to learn some cool facts about the sloth as well as learning how I can help them out. A great book for a middle-grade animal lover or budding juvenile environmentalist.
Rachel
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sloths are so good and this book was so good.
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yep, I bought a sloth book from my school's book fair. And it was the BEST book.
Selwa
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
heh, makes me want to go back to Costa Rica for my honeymoon! cute little buggers.
Tracy Holland
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Learn about the life style of the sloth. The sloth sanctuary helps to protect and nurse injured sloths back to health until they are ready to be returned to the wild.
Tasha
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the world of the Avarios Sloth Sanctuary in Costa Rica, the world’s only sloth orphanage. Here you will meet the residents like the queen of the sanctuary, Buttercup, who started the entire thing. Now over 20 years old, she is the oldest sloth living in captivity. She was soon joined at the sanctuary by many others. There are tiny baby twins and others who are so small they have to have clothes made for them out of socks to keep them warm. There are injured sloths who give incredible ...more
alana
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Okay, sloths are adorable, and there's no doubt young readers would love the photos of these sloth sanctuary inhabitants. However, I was a bit frustrated with some of the vocabulary choices which would necessitate quite a bit of explanation during a read-aloud session (if the vocabulary were mostly scientific in nature, I'd have no issue, but often it's the choice of adjectives or tongue-in-cheek descriptions). While I enjoy the profiles of the individuals sloths, I think the book would benefit ...more
Kathryn
Soooo adorable! I loved this book, and I am not a sloth fanatic (though I do appreciate them and find them cute), so I could just imagine how much a sloth lover would delight in the darling photographs here.

I loved learning more about sloths, both as a species and as individuals. The sloths here are all from the Slothville Sanctuary and it is really fun to learn about their little personalities. It is such a loving book and it warmed my heart to know these sloths are so well cared for, even tho
Tofu Fairy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
1st things 1st...this is a KIDS book. I did not know this when I got it from the library. This doesn't bother me at all, but just letting you know. I read it cover to cover and found it adorably written and entertaining/informative for me as an adult too. It would be great for any kid though of course. The pics are why I wanted to read it. OMG it was sloth heaven in this book. It is mostly pictures with just a bit of info about sloths and a plea to support the Sloth Sanctuary where they all live ...more
Mari
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is OVER-THE-TOP CUTE!!!!
I had not idea that sloths were this cute.
Did I say cute?
SO CUTE!

Great info and awesome photos make this one a keeper. A couple of colleagues brought this around to school visits this spring. So smart! I may do the same next year! It is way-to-cute not to share with large crowds of kiddos.
Anna
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sloths are delightful, (or the furriest residents of the Uncanny Valley,) but this book was a little too over-the-top. It's a bit like if icanhazcheezburger suddently tried to be educational. Just when I think I've learned something, they go and throw out that sloths are "the absolute masters of mellow." Oh, well. The pictures were fun!
jess
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
It is difficult to imagine a more charming book than this one. It's a whole book about sloths for christssake. They cuddle. They wear little sloth outfits. They have birthday parties. It's like, entirely too much cuteness for one volume and yet Lucy Cooke fit it all in. No one can be grouchy if they just flip through this book.
Brandy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Too ADORABLE! A book about Sloths - correction a really cute, adorable, I want to go through the pages and hug every sloth pictured book. Did I mention cute?
A book about Sloths who have been orphaned and/or injured and taken to this Sloth rescue for rehab filled with: fun facts, a message on relaxing, and lots of cuteness on every page. This is a picture book that everybody will love.
Sam
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I now know that the Sloth is my spirit animal. This book could not have come along at a better time or with a more timely message. My new goals... to chill, hug it out, and to totally work at a Costa Rican Sloth Sanctuary.
Kimberly
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I read dozens of children's books every week and I rarely take the time to review them, but I just had to review this. It is insanely cute!!! I fell in love with Mateo and Mr. Moo. Even if you don't have kids, I recommend looking through this book :)
books and sloths 4 2 Sep 01, 2016 07:09PM