Start by marking “Dig In!” as Want to Read:
Dig In!

Dig In!

Dig in to this vibrant picture book that celebrates all the surprises found down in the dirt!

I dig in the dirt...and find a seed.
Seed waits.
I dig in the dirt...and find a spider.
Spider runs.

Published March 1st 2016 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Dig In!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dig In!

Matt
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short little book about what happens when a little boy digs into the dirt and all he can find. There is much to see and all sorts of life in the ground, which has also been something that Neo notices every time he turns over a rock. By the end, Neo felt it was high time we should start gardening, which is something a friend of mine has already been hinting. Looks like I better get some gardening gloves before they sell out!
Kristina Jean Lareau
A perfectly springy and muddy read aloud for a toddler or baby crowd!
Emily
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I dig in the dirt…and find a worm. Worm wiggles. I did in the dirt…and find a rock. Rock sits. I dig in the dirt…and find a pill bug. Pill bug curls. I dig in the dirt…and find a seed. Seed waits. I dig in the dirt…and find a spider. Spider runs…I dig in the dirt…and find a sprout. Sprout grows. I dig in the dirt…and find dirt! Dirt squishes. Then I water the dirt and find…MUD!"

Simple text, great large illustrations (so everyone in a large storytime will be able to see details). Would work as "
Kellee
Full review with teaching tools and author guest post: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=9291

Both of Cindy Jenson-Elliott’s books have truly made me want to get down and dirty in the garden which, if you know me, is exactly the opposite of what you would guess I want to do. Jenson-Elliott has a way of making the ordinary, and dirty, seem extraordinary. It would be great to have students catalog all of the things they find in a dirt. This would make their trips outside quite exciting!
Kimberly
Used this one for Family Storytime (spring) on 5/9/18. The parents seemed to really like it, the kids were not as enthused. I would definitely use it again though, because the pictures are very cute and the text is simple. It works well as a quick second book.
Kelly
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A simple presentation of some of the wonders of digging in the dirt. The expressions of the worm are my favorite part and my adult curiosity was frustrated the reader doesn't learn what the seed grows into but overall a great introduction to spring, gardening, bugs, and dirt!
Megan
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
The simple, yet vivid illustrations dive into the world underneath the dirt. Simple text that explores the natural world in the the earth. This could make a great addition to a storytime about gardening or spring/summer.
Shari
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
A child discovers life underground as s/he plants a seedling.
J F
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book is great to read as a standing story or a fingerplay.
Super simple text with fun illustrations, great short book to fill out a garden or spring themed story time.
Christy
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great storytime book!
Katy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
This would probably logically be good for storytime, but I don't like it. Art is weird and the concepts are a little weird too.
Donna Mork
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
What do you find in dirt? Lots of things. And if you add water...mud!
Darinda
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little boy digs in the dirt and finds all kinds of fun stuff... a worm, a bug, a seed, a rock, etc. A cute, fun story to read with a toddler.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Explore the fun of the outdoors, and digging in the dirt, with this cute picture book. Dig In! is a great book for kids who love getting their hands dirty, and exploring the outdoors. Young readers will love discovering what they can find when they dig in and play in the dirt. With cute illustrations, and an easy to read story, readers will find a worm, a seed, a rock, a potato bugs (pill bugs), and more. DigIn! and discover the fun adventure of the outdoors with this adorable picture book! You ...more
Ricki
Mar 06, 2016 added it
Shelves: children-s-books
Reading this book made me want to get outside in my garden! Oh, I cannot wait for spring! When my son and I read this book, I kept pointing to the pictures and telling him about all of the digging we will do this spring, and I am excited to have this book (and Jenson-Elliot's Weeds Find a Way) on hand for when the time comes! We live in Connecticut, so we can't quite do any digging yet. This book emanates warmth, and it will make kids want to go outside and start exploring! Cindy Jenson-Elliot s ...more
Lynn
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
An original presentation of a forever-favorite place to play - in the dirt!
Repetition of the phrase, "I dig in the dirt..." will encourage little ones to read along. The sentence starts on the right hand page and the reader has to turn the page to see what happens - encourages predictions and relating personal experiences.
From the CIP data: "Illustrations were created using linoleum black prints on paper with some digital touch ups." Full color with little specks, resembling dirt with it's speci
Christine Turner

I dig in the dirt...and find a seed.
Seed waits.
I dig in the dirt...and find a spider.
Spider runs.

Explore all of the creepy, crawly, dirty, muddy, green, and growing things that can be found outside in the garden. From pill bugs to worms to leafy green sprouts, young readers will love discovering the muddy garden habitat within the pages of this book--and outside in their own backyards!
Barbara
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Teachers could use this book to introduce a unit on earth and earthworms for kindergarteners or 1st graders. It has a lot of simple words and repetitive phrases that would make it a great early reader for classroom use. The pictures are also simple and straightforward and could be adapted for bulletin board or flannel board. For ages 2 -6.
White House Public Library
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun, colorful illustrations show a child having fun exploring in the dirt. Kids can easily relate to this story in real life! Easy text makes this a quick read and allow for parents to engage in conversation with their child(s) about what they find when they dig in the dirt!
Cara Byrne
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
As a reader who spends quite a bit of time out in the garden with her 2yo, I was hoping that this colorful book with simple sentences would be a fun read for us. I appreciate the pill bugs and mud, but it just wasn't very compelling and the illustrations not my favorite.
Elizabeth
spring review column - April 2016
Miss Sarah
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
An unknown child digs in the dirt and finds all sorts of animals and seeds. Simple and cute.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, nature
Celebrating the joys of digging in the dirt and getting your hands dirty.
Roben Closs
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very simple book that explores a few of the wonderful things you can discover while digging in the dirt!
Vicki
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
The perfect book for a storytime about mud, spring, worms or seeds. Nice repetitive phrase for audience participation.

Large and up close illustrations are fun and colorful.
Rebecca Ann
This is a great exploration of nature in simple sentences that could appeal to preschool age and would be great for storytime.
Jennifer Miera
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cut exploration of soil with very simple text and pictures. I may use this for my toddler storytime.
Angie Quantrell
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun exploration of dirt.
Romelle
A simple concept of discovery. The simple text and larger than life illustrations, make this suitable as a board book rather than a full-priced picture book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »