Start by marking “Palace of Lies (The Palace Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Palace of Lies (The Palace Chronicles, #3)

Palace of Lies

(The Palace Chronicles #3)

Desmia discovers the reality of royalty is far from a fairy tale in this third adventure set in the Cinderella-esque world of Just Ella and Palace of Mirrors, from New York Times bestselling author Margaret Peterson Haddix.

Desmia and her twelve sister-princesses are ruling Suala together at last, a united front. The kingdom seems to have finally gotten its happily ever aft
Published April 7th 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Palace of Lies, please sign up.
Johanna It's the same "universe". If I remember correctly, parts of Just Ella involve the interactions between her kingdom and Desmia's.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Elizabeth Archer If you read the epilogue, it explains it.

Alyssa

Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

D
Giselle Bradley
I was meaning to read this for the Buzzword Readathon but instead I DNF'd it 5 pages in. I can just tell that I'm going to hate every moment of it. Desmia is obnoxious and annoying and has had no growth since the book before which I also didn't like. Her thoughts about the other characters are so rude and stuck up. I can't do it. This'll just give me the time to read books that I'm actually going to like.
Bethany
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tristate
A fire at the coronation leaves Princess Desmia alone and cast as a criminal by unknown enemies who have accused her of attempting to murder her “sisters,” forcing her to go on the run while seeking her missing sisters - and justice. Having lived in the palace her entire life, Desmia is ill-suited for the sort of rough adventuring required of her, but with the help of an older sister she did not know she had and a pair of charming street urchins she is able to travel from Suala to Fridesia to se ...more
Yusra  ✨
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
so down for this to become a movie
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
So much better than the second book.
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
A number of years ago I did a year of Cinderella stories with my 4/5 grade class; one of the books we read was Just Ella and the class was divided about it (they liked Ella's resourcefulness, but the method of escaping the palace grossed them out). Where was I when the sequel came out? Who knows. Now I have to track that down. This book, the third in the series, is good both as a stand-alone and as a continuation. We're in a different kingdom, with different problems and different characters, bu ...more
Lisa Dawn
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most people are familiar with Ella Enchanted, Gail Carson Levine's feminist retelling of Cinderella, mostly due to the butchered movie version released by Disney/Miramax in 2004. But did you know that around the same time Ella Enchanted became popular, Margaret Peterson Haddix had released another feminist Cinderella adaptation that was every bit as exciting? Just Ella is a thrilling adventure story about Ella trying to escape the castle after the ball to avoid being used as a pawn in a wicked s ...more
Haley Judi
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The books just got better and better!
Sasha
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have no words for how amazing this book was. All I can say is you have to read it I loved the first two books and this one was even better I loved this series and this book. It was so amazing!
Morgan
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked Palace of Mirrors better—and how in the world does a palace made of stone burn to the ground?!?—but still, lots of political intrigue+Margaret Peterson Haddix=awesome.
Kelly Winters
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2019
2.5 stars - The majority of this book is comprised of traveling, and I found those sections so incredibly boring. Not much happens while the characters are traveling, so instead the story is moved along by the main character's internal dialogue. That felt more "tell than show", which I don't enjoy. That is probably a preference thing, but I prefer the first two books in the series to this one by far.
Amy
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it

Just Ella holds a special place in my heart. I've re-read it many times. Palace of Mirrors bored me to death. I have tried reading it twice and still have no memory of Ella even being in it.
Thankfully, Palace of Lies caught more of the spirit of Just Ella than its more recent predecessor.
The story follows Princess Desmia, the princess raised in the palace. She is re-ascending the throne alongside the 12 other princesses of Suala. And then everything goes wrong. Unsure who to trust, separated f
Coralie
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, I LOVE HADDIX! Secondly, this book was amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed returning to this world. I was very pleased to see characters return from BOTH previous novels and the new characters were simply enchanting. The tale was absolutely intriguing and positively riveting. I couldn't put it down. Haddix has mastered the art of storytelling, but I think we already knew that. This is simply the latest testament to her wonderworking powers! I wish she would do another!
Julianna
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! I meet Mrs Haddix at a book signing yesterday for this book, got home to start reading,and didn't put it down until I had finished the book! I was very surprised by the end, but loved it! A must-read!
Rmsooon
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5
i really loved the story so much ,, but the romance part i thougt there is something more :)
Sharon Hooper
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
An overly obnoxious protagonist does not a good book make.
Marlene
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character was so stuck up at first but got better. Happy ending except for the poor prince. Actually felt bad for him.
Linden
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
VERY VERY GOOD, but kind of predictable
Ellen
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
for some reason this book felt super familiar to me, so I might've read it already and completely forgot about it.
either way, this was pretty good at tying up the series. palace of mirrors is one of my favorite books and this doesn't really hold a candle to it. the romance felt rushed and out of the blue, and the rest of the plot was just ok. a bit predictable honestly. either way, it was fun to see things from Desmia's pov.
Jessica
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not as good as book two, but better than book one. Although, there is a lot of background info from book one, so if you're gonna read this book, you kinda need to read all of them. (Book 2 can be read by itself.) I personally didn't like Desmia as a character very much, although through her journey with the boys and their mom, I did grow to like her better. By the end of the story, I was rooting for her. Great character development with the new characters.
Louise-Andree
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5*

I don't even know where to begin with this review but, I think, of all 3 books of The Palace Chronicles, this one was my favorite.

It starts with a bang, the action slows a bit not too long after but there is always something happening either actual action or event or a shock value which were all very well done.

I was left guessing for most of the book, up 'til the end and I love when that happens all the time.
emyrose8
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
4.5- I was a little surprised at how "sucked in" I got with this book. I couldn't put it down! At first, I did not like Desmia. At all. But after I found out more of her backstory (and abusive situation), I understood her more and started to appreciate her. And thankfully she undergoes some major character growth. The ending wraps everything up, but not in a way that closes the door to another potential book. Is there another book coming???
K.C
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a satisfying ending to the series.
Alyssa Skinner
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Didn't know there were sequels to Just Ella, but I liked this one a little better than the first.
Caity
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Once again I really liked the concept of this book but the ending felt rushed and was disappointing. Overall the pacing of this trilogy isn’t great but it’s still a fun read.
Isabel
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I hadn't read it years after I read the first two books.
Cassidy Tapp
Great Book.
Kanchan Singh
Jun 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
12 AR points
Henny M
Apr 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I accidentally read this before the first book but it was still kinda boring and hard to follow.
Rlygirl
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Mild adventure, but I did not like this installment as well as "Just Ella".
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Out of the Ashes
  • Pretty Wanted (Pretty Crooked #3)
  • Out of the Wild
  • Stolen Magic (A Tale of Two Castles, #2)
  • The 48
  • The Olive Fairy Book
  • Fortune's Folly
  • Time to Smell the Roses (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #4)
  • Little Gold Star: A Spanish American Cinderella Tale
  • A Phantom Enchantment (Unbound, #3)
  • The Crystal Heart
  • Silverblind (Ironskin #3)
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • Revenant Eve (Dobrenica, #3)
  • Keeping Kinley (Books of Dalthia #5)
  • The Opal Crown (The Opal Mask #2)
  • Maid of Wonder (Maids of Honor, #3)
  • Fire Fall (Dark Star, #3)
Margaret Peterson Haddix grew up on a farm near Washington Court House, Ohio. She graduated from Miami University (of Ohio) with degrees in English/journalism, English/creative writing and history. Before her first book was published, she worked as a newspaper copy editor in Fort Wayne, Indiana; a newspaper reporter in Indianapolis; and a community college instructor and freelance writer in Danvil ...more

The Palace Chronicles (3 books)
  • Just Ella (The Palace Chronicles, #1)
  • Palace of Mirrors (The Palace Chronicles, #2)