Start by marking “Stand Up That Mountain: The Battle to Save One Small Community in the Wilderness Along the Appalachian Trail” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  47 reviews
In the tradition of A Civil Action—the true story of an outdoorsman living alone in Western North Carolina who teams up with his neighbors and environmental lawyers to save a treasured mountain peak from the mining company.One day Jay Leutze got a call from a young woman, Ashley, and her Aunt Ollie. Ashley and Ollie said they had evidence that Clark Stone Company was viola ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Stand Up That Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand Up That Mountain

Cold Mountain by Charles FrazierChristy by Catherine MarshallProdigal Summer by Barbara KingsolverShe Walks These Hills by Sharyn McCrumbFair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith
Best Books Set in Appalachia
105th out of 397 books — 582 voters
Stumbling Thru by A. Digger StolzA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonShangri-La Trailer Park by John ZunskiA Death in the Family by James AgeeAWOL on the Appalachian Trail by David "AWOL" Miller
Appalachian Trail Books
8th out of 22 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara
I flat loved this book. Sure, I wish there had been pictures and even a roster of characters (so many nicknames!), but those are quibbles in the face of Leutze’s enthusiasm for protecting the Appalachian Trail viewshed and his love of the mountains and people of western North Carolina. He connects to his neighbors in fundamental ways and connects the readers with them too. I rooted for Ollie (oh, she of homespun wisdoms) and her brilliant teenaged niece, Ashley. And pulled just as hard against D ...more
Michelle
Here are some of the Kindle notes that accompanied the reading of this book:

Gaaaah.
Aw hail no.
Shame on you, US Forest Service.
Oh, Jesus. (Wrote this several times.)
Ass.
I hate capitalism sometimes.
Good grief. (Wrote that one a lot, actually.)
Pretty stupid. In what other job can you not just fix your mistakes? (I'm looking at you, Charles.)
Infuriatingly stupid.
Then what's the f'ing point of the mining commission?
Uuugh, lobbyists.

Basically! This book is about a gravel company ruining the views at a
David V.
Received as an ARC from the publisher. To be released in June.

Wowee!!!!! What a book! The true story of a small group of people in the mountains of North Carolina fighting a wealthy quarry owner from opening a stone grinding operation within sight of the Appalachian Trail. First, it's a wonderful travel guide for that part of NC. Secondly it reads like a mystery story. I was reading faster toward the end because I wanted to know the result of all the hearings. With the emotional highs and lows,
Christine
I loved this book on several levels. The true storyline is gripping, keeping you on the edge of your seat until the very end. The author totally captures the uniqueness of the people and landscape of the Southern Appalachians. Leutze's writing style draws you into this world, making it accessible through the cadence of the local mountain dialect, vivid descriptions of the Roan highlands, and finding humor in the most dire of situations. This is a book I would love to hear recorded!
Tuck
an intimate and sympathetic view of southern Appalachia mountain environment and human cultures, and the horror show that is mountaintop removal coal mining.
leutze and his neighbors are pretty naive in the initial dealings with mining and resource extraction, but they soon learn fat cats rule and little folks have to fight like hell for any little crumb of justice or decency.
Doug Chaffin
Wow, what an incredible story. Jay put his whole heart into this project. It was also incredible that so many others had the heart and courage to stand up to those seeking to destroy the natural beauty and marvelous views presented by the wonderful NC mountains.
My favorite part of the book was the moment when Eastman Hiking Club was mentioned as a great supporter and caretaker of the Appalachian Trail and even more that a long-time member, Steve Perri was willing to make multiple trips during ju
Maggie Silton
Stand Up That Mountain is an inspiring true story that reads like a novel you can't put down.
Lynette Hague
I like to read what my children have to read for school. This book is NC State University's common reading for 2015. The writer, Jay Erskine Leutze, wrote a very passionate and compelling story of his involvement in the "Dog Town Bunch" and their battle with a mining company. Now I want to be a day hiker on the Appalachian Trail in the Roan Highlands, so I can see the wonder.
Bart
I started reading this ‘tree-hugger’ book, for free, in a library to make sure the story wasn’t too filled with environmental protectionist generalities or dogma before I purchased it because I wanted to read an interesting story plus learn something from another perspective perhaps. Having developed land and participated in updates of regulation, I have seen abuses, by incompetence, laissez-faire doctrine, and good ol’ boy networks at work.

The book tells a real story from a small world and is
Dan Gobble
Thanks Jay for a passionate account of the gut-wrenching process of fighting uphill battles for echo-sphere concerns. I met Jay at the Literary Bookpost in Salisbury, NC. He shared a few more stories and details not in the book. Jay came across as a humble, yet fierce advocate for the natural world as well as his neighbors. Jay's vision for wild places doesn't seem to be one in which humans are not present, but one in which humans are there as students to learn and participants to enjoy (without ...more
Rebecca Tolley-Stokes
Fantastic!! One of the best books I've read all year. Leutze tells his story of becoming involved in a fight to save his community & neighbors, as well as the Appalachian Trail and it's lovers/advocates/hikers, from a gravel mining operation that circumvented the permit process, thus becoming an eyesore, a air/noise/water polluter, and unwanted entity in the community. While it's mostly focused on activism, press releases, hearings, appeals, etc. it is not dry writing or reading at all. Exce ...more
Leslie
Leutze's subject matter is far more interesting than his book. While I didn't expect him to write as if creating a screenplay for the next version of Erin Brockovich, Stand Up That Mountain could use a little dose of melodrama. His story is all too real, and when he's writing about Ollie Ve, her family, and the folks affected by Paul Brown's attempt to build a rock crusher practically in their yard, it's gripping. As it is when he writes about his immersion into the truth of the matter and his r ...more
Gwen Veazey
A book club choice. I dreaded having to read this nonfiction book about saving the wilderness, but lo and behold, the author creates a fascinating page-turner with his excellent writing and focus on the mountain people involved. I'm not surprised Jay Leutze is a good storyteller. His dad was one of the best and most charismatic professors I had at UNC Chapel Hill - Dr. James Leutze who taught military history.
Kae Roberts
Way to close to home as I know the roads around that area. The insight into the laws that few of us are aware of is wonderful. Leutze's first novel is spellbinding especially because it is true.
Diane
A good non-fiction book that retells the story of an Appalachian town in North Carolina that fights a mining company whose work will destroy their homes and affect the Appalachian trail.
Kathryn
Jun 20, 2012 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Warren Savage and Dee Robinson
Beautifully written true story of a fight to save a mountain in a remot part of Appalachian mountains in North Carolina from being destroyed. The characters in this novel are real people and by the end of this book I could not put down I found myself feeling as though I knew them myself. Jay has created a beautiful book that provides an education on just what it takes for grass roots efforts to succeed amongst a system of rulings, agencies, egos, personalities, competing passions for rights to e ...more
Daphne
Huge eye-opener about surface mining in the mountains of North Carolina. Mixed in with the story of Jay Leutze's grass-roots efforts to prevent a mine from destroying the area around his mountain home and views from the Appalachian Trail are incredible descriptions of the amazing flora and fauna of this area including the Carolina Flying Squirrel, the endangered long-eared bat, and several species of plants left over from the last ice age. Our book club was thrilled to have Jay talk to us, read ...more
Katrina
I loved this book. Considering I live the next county over from where this book takes place, I was immediately taken in by the fight of these people. My love of hiking, made me invested in the story.Highly recommend especially for those who love the Appalachian Trail and NC mountains ad much as I do
Jamison Doran

Absolutely fantastic and without a doubt one of the best books of 2010. Leutze gives us a terrifying true story of a small town, not far from where I grew up and went to school that is embattled as it fights for the removal of a mine.

The people are magnificent and Leutze's writing style is so engaging you'll find yourself not wanting to put the book down. Even if you aren't from small town North Carolina and aren't familiar with the beautiful places he talks about in great detail you will thoro
Scott Bodien
enjoyed the tenacity (and often long periods of waiting, waiting, waiting) of the author, and the story is one of persistence. Very informative
Debbie
Inspiring story of perseverence as a community works to prevent the construction of a rock grinding mill within sight of a stretch of the Appalachian Trail (the real one). Not really evil, the other side of this fight, just clueless and careless. Or maybe in this day and age those characteristics are potentially evil, given possible consequences of (environmental) cluelessness and carelessness?
Katie
Stand Up That Mountain was an excellent retelling of an important time in conservationist and western NC history. Being from the County, I'll reserve judgment on portrayal of accents and attitudes (however accurate they may be), but overall, a great story. Leutze makes good use of personal, legal, historical, and local contributions, and provides a thought-provoking and inspiring story.
Jaymie
A great story of David vs. Goliath, a small mountain community banding together to save their mountain. Although not surprising, it was a bit eye-opening to see such government disregard for a. The environment and b. the citizens the government is supposed to represent. But once again, money talks. A good, inspiring read, but the author could have told the story in about half the time.
Tom Buske
This was an interesting account of the opening and subsequent closing of the Putnam Mine in Avery County, NC within close proximity to the Appalachian Trail. The prose is a paean both to the beauty of the Appalachian Mountains and the basic, yet warm-hearted and determined people who live there. The book would have benefited from the inclusion of pictures to augment the prose.
Lori
Well written and moving. I cried reading some passages. Some (not all) court sequences are a little dry, but the editing is tight, so those scenes are not drawn out. I'm an impatient page skipper, but there was little reason to do that in this book. A recommended read for anyone, but especially those who have invested any time visiting and exploring Appalachia.
Diane
Glad to have read this book! Its the story of one mans intensive battle to save a NC mountain from being ravaged by a gravel mining operation. The mining operation would have been seen from a particularly beautiful spot on the Appalachian Trail. It also highlighted the mining and political interests in North Carolina which turn out to be massive.
Pat Mckee
Author and former attorney Jay Leutze tells the story of how a small mountain community joins forces to stop the destruction of a mountain in Avery County NC by a gravel pit mine operation. He does a nice job of bringing the mountain folk to life for the reader, as well as telling a happy-ending story of "man vs corporation."
Quinn Whitaker
This book is great on so many levels. I have known the author since college and heard bits and pieces of the story along the way. I know the ending, yet is still can't put the book down. There are so many twists and turns. Jay is great, story teller. He can make a simple trip turn into an epic tale. I can't wait for his next book.
Dean Brodhag
I heard the author speak at a Sierra Club meeting. Being about western North Carolina, the Appalachian Trail and local folks fighting for environmental issues it got my attention. A good mix of local flavor and legal maneuvering that is not overwhelming. I want to hike the section from Hump Mountain to Roan Mountain.
Naomi Lambert
I loved this book. Jay Leutze keeps the story moving along with a strong cast of characters and plot twists. It helps that the action happens in familiar and beloved places. The insights into government decision making and the judicial process aren't always very positive but in the end, the power of a determined few is clear.
  • The Things You Find on the Appalachian Trail: A Memoir of Discovery, Endurance and a Lazy Dog
  • Threshold: The Crisis of Western Culture
  • A Journey North: One Woman's Story of Hiking the Appalachian Trail
  • Oil and Honey: The Education of an Unlikely Activist
  • The Army of the Republic: A Novel
  • Mr. Hornaday's War: How a Peculiar Victorian Zookeeper Waged a Lonely Crusade for Wildlife That Changed the World
  • The Old Man and the Swamp: A True Story About My Weird Dad, a Bunch of Snakes, and One Ridiculous Road Trip
  • Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It
  • F 'em!: Goo Goo, Gaga, and Some Thoughts on Balls
  • The Quiet World: Saving Alaska's Wilderness Kingdom, 1879-1960
  • Impossible to Please: How to Deal with Perfectionist Coworkers, Controlling Spouses, and Other Incredibly Critical People
  • My Green Manifesto: Down the Charles River in Pursuit of a New Environmentalism
  • Why We Disagree about Climate Change: Understanding Controversy, Inaction and Opportunity
  • Don't Sleep with a Bubba: Unless Your Eggs are in Wheelchairs
  • Walking the Big Wild: From Yellowstone to the Yukon on the Grizzle Bears' Trail
  • Be Happy or I'll Scream!: My Deranged Quest for the Perfect Husband, Family, and Life
  • Kissed by a Fox: And Other Stories of Friendship in Nature