Start by marking “Lighthouse Bay” as Want to Read:
Lighthouse Bay

Lighthouse Bay

From the author of Wildflower Hill, this breathtaking novel travels more than a century between two love stories set in the Australian seaside town of Lighthouse Bay.

In 1901, a ship sinks off the coast of Queensland, Australia. The only survivor is Isabella Winterbourne, who clutches a priceless gift meant for the Australian Parliament. This gift could be her ticket to a
Published April 9th 2013 by Touchstone (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lighthouse Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lighthouse Bay

Start your review of Lighthouse Bay
Karen Brooks
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When you pick up a Kimberley Freeman novel, there’s a sense in which you know what you’re getting: a wonderful few hours in which to lose yourself in a marvellous time and space, where there’s romance, secrets, mystery, broken hearts and souls and the tools for characters to mend these if they so desire. Her books are like the best comfort food there is.
Lighthouse Bay, a tale that takes place in two different time frames and explores the lives of three very different women who are connected by
Jenny
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lighthouse Bay is a beautiful book about how two women who lived a century apart found love and forgiveness. In 1901 Isabella Winterbourne travelled to Australia with her husband when their ship sank near LightHouse Bay. Libby Slater came back to Lighthouse Bay after her boyfriend, Mark Winterbourne died. Libby Slater and Damien Allbright came across diaries of Matthew Seaward that started them on a hunt for treasure and finding out who is Isabella Winterhouse. The readers of Lighthouse Bay will ...more
Marg
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2013
Libby Slater is in mourning. Her lover of 12 years has died but she can't really openly mourn because she was the other woman, his mistress. Realising that she needed to make some changes to her life, she decides to return to the small town that she grew up in. Her lover, Mark Winterbourne, had bought a home in the town years before but Libby had always been reluctant to visit, mainly due to her fractured family relationships. Now there is just her sister left but after Libby left the small town ...more
Kerry Hennigan
Libby Slater returns to Lighthouse Bay on Queensland's Sunshine Coast after years of living in Paris. With the death of her married lover she has given up her high powered job and returned to the town where her estranged sister, Julia, runs a Bed and Breakfast. Libby moves into the house she owns on the beach near the old deserted lighthouse. Only, as she discovers, it isn't quite as deserted as she thinks.

Over a hundred years earlier a ship was wrecked off the coast of Queensland. On board was
Stephanie Kline
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a surprisingly good novel! I honestly didn't know how I was feeling for about the first quarter (maybe first half), but it picked up really well once I got into the meat of the story, and the conclusion was more satisfying than I'd expected it to be. Really pleased with this first book I've read by Kimberley Freeman.

The story has a very Kate Morton-esque style. It oscillates between the early 1900s story line and the 2011 story line, and it follows a few different main characters who
Trish
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I saw this book recommended on one of those "If you like Kate Morton, then check out X" lists. I understand the comparison - two women, a generation or two apart, and a bit of a mystery. And while this was not an awful book, it lacks the skillful storytelling and rich detail of Morton.

I didn't particularly like Libby. I didn't hate her, but the most developed part of her story is her long term affair with a married man. Blech. And Isabella? We're told of several (awful) things that have happened
Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this story! A really well written past/present novel that didn't over shadow either ones own story, of two strong woman dealing with lost loves, past and present situations and how to deal with them and learn and grow from it and the meaning of family bonds. fans of Susanna Kearsley will enjoy this authors style of writing. Longer review later....
Dee Gurganus
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent read. I have not read Ms Freeman before, but of Lighthouse, beach, somewhat of a mystery caught my attention. And I was not disappointed. Libby, the main character, is a single, well established profession. But like with all of us, event happened that change the course of our lives. Ms Freeman's character development of Libby is steady and only minimal foreshadowing of what her outcome will be. With the background of an abandon lighthouse, beautiful beaches, and Australian sunset. I ...more
Tiffany Foskey
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kimberley Freeman writes a captivating story of two women separated by 100 yrs but both very similar. Isabella is in a loveless marriage grieving the loss of her child. Libby is mourning the loss of her lover and decides to moves bck home to a sister who she has been estranged from for 20 years. Will these two women be able to find peace and love again??? Will definitely recommend this book to everyone I look forward to reading more from this amazing author
Lindsey (Bring My Books)
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gah!!! I absolutely love this author, and cannot wait for her to write more novels! One thing I particularly love about her books is the two stories from two different time periods. Usually when I encounter this writing style, the author tidies everything up in the end with a big "A-ha!!" moment; the present characters come across a journal, a photograph, a newspaper article - something that divulges the entire past mystery to them. Kimberley Freeman writes in what I think is a much more ...more
Helen McKenna
When Libby Slater returns to her childhood home after twelve years living in Paris she has no firm plans in place beyond grieving for the married lover she recently lost and attempting to regain some sense of balance. She knows her reappearance in the small coastal community of Lighthouse Bay will raise many eyebrows, especially those of her estranged sister Juliet. The siblings have not spoken in years, unable to resolve the personal tragedy that divided them more two decades before.

Almost a
Cheryl
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
The year is 1901. Isabella and her husband were traveling by ship when the ship sinks. Isabella survives and makes her way to Lighthouse Bay in Australia. Isabella has nothing but the clothes on her back and a piece of paper. A very important paper that is meant for the Australian Parliament.

Present Day

Libby Slater’s lover dies. She has nothing left, so she heads home to Lighthouse Bay to start over. Due to her actions, Libby is estranged from her sister. She hopes to bridge the gap between
Dale Harcombe
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel tells the story of Isabella who is a survivor of a shipwreck while on her way to Australia in 1901 and Libby who returns home to Lighthouse Bay in Queensland after the death of her married lover. Both lives are changed by events that happen to them and it shows the way they pick up and carry on. I liked the way the action alternated between the two women and their stories and I found this an interesting read, even though I didn’t particularly like Libby. I found Isabella easier to ...more
Carol Preston
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this a book I kept hurrying back to so I could see what was going to happen, and also so I wouldn't lose track of all the threads. It was a complex and engaging story, set in two time frames. I thought the interweaving of the two stories was very well done. I found myself drawn into both Libby and Isabella's stories. Though there were similarities in their characters, they were excellently differentiated by their historical time frame. I found both women engaging, flawed enough to be ...more
Pamela
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
3.5 stars. I liked the plot but, for me, there was a spark missing - not sure what it was. Perhaps the characters were a little drab, or maybe it was the relationships between some of them. Just something. Story was ok and the author is good, this just wasn't my favorite of hers.
Aisling
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read; a little history, a little romance, a generation spanning mystery and characters you really care about. I'm getting everything I can find by this author!
Terri
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Review also found at https://kristineandterri.blogspot.com...

I was looking for my next audio book and this story came up as a recommended read on Goodreads for me. As I am familiar with Kimberley Freeman's work, I thought this would be a perfect choice. I was not disappointed.

I am a sucker for historical fiction and for dual storylines that intermix between the past and the present. This story was both, if you count 2011 as present day. Since the book was published in 2013, I would say so.

I was
Karen
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maybe it was the mood I was in, but I did not care for any of the characters or the plot. I think the author writes well, so I muddled through and gave it two stars, but it is a book I won't remember.
Nola
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this intriguing novel, Kimberley Freeman weaves together two stories. After the death of her lover in Paris, Libby Slater returns to her childhood home of Lighthouse Bay on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast. She’s been away for 20 years after a tragic event that put a wedge between her and her sister Juliet. Can the sisters forgive each other and move on from the past?

In 1901, Isabella Winterbourne is the sole survivor of a shipwreck near Lighthouse Bay that claimed her husband and thus freed her
Katherine Jones
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Lighthouse Bay begins in a way I love, with an unsolved mystery and main characters shouldering big problems. Freeman artfully weaves a tale of three women, introducing into their lives intriguing men, many of whom leave readers unsure at first whether to count as good or bad. An intriguing, suspenseful technique.

Freeman also has the gift of weaving sub-plot lines and layering emotion to draw readers into her story. She pays beautiful attention to detail and writes a lush narrative. Her scenic
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lighthouse Bay is an entertaining journey about two women who have gone through trying times in their lives.

Isabella Winterbourne arrives in the area in 1901 due to the ship she was on sinking. Everyone but her was lost at sea. However she was able to save a piece of the cargo, a priceless gift from the British Crown to Australia. Because of the way she is treated by her now dead husband’s family she changes her name and makes plans to find her sister in the United States and to live with her.
Kristin
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like the book, and the book has the plot layout I love (i.e. 2 stories happening in separate time, with some sort of tie to each other). And the book was historical fiction. But, well... I just didn't love the characters. In either time period. Isabella, the main character in the historical story, I found rather whiny. And Libby, the main character in the current story, I found rather, well, just normal. I didn't find either of the women terribly bright (especially in their ...more
Diane Lynn
Isabella, the heroine in the story set in 1901, is living under a cloud of grief. On top of that, the ship she is traveling on is lost in a hurricane off the coast of Australia. I actually liked her story well enough, despite some of the stupid and irrational decisions she made. So 4 stars for the story set in the past.

The present day story was only okay. Libby seemed just as shallow and vain as I imagine she was in high school, and her story annoyed me. Damien and his cat Bossy plus the old
Sue
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. I found myself staying up late and getting up early to finish it.
A story set in the past and present and intertwining the 3 main females in the story. All are dealing with grief and loss as they tread a shaky path towards healing.
There is the mystery of the lost treasure, romance and forgiveness.
I loved the way the past and present were blended together so seamlessly by Kimberley.
Upon finishing the book I still wanted to know more. Were people really safe ?
Will recommend to
Kate Forsyth
Lighthouse Bay begins in 1901, with a woman – the only survivor of a shipwreck - dragging a chest full of treasure down a deserted beach. The narrative then moves to contemporary times, with a woman secretly grieving at the funeral of her married lover. These two women – Isabella Winterbourne and Libby Slater – are joined through time by a lighthouse and its secrets and mysteries. I raced through this compelling and intriguing book, utterly unable to put it down. Fabulous rollicking read.
Jeanette
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The cover of this book is what initially drew my attention to this book whilst visiting my local library recently.

Loved this book! I am not usually fond of stories that has two different time frames, but it worked really well in Lighthouse Bay. This was one of those books that I didn't want to come to an end. It's the first time that I have read any novels by this author and shall be on the look out for more when I next visit the library. Recommended.
Melissa Pouliot
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the way this book was written, so enthralling and flipped between different eras in a way that left you unsure which storyline you were most desperate to get back to. A perfect beach read, just a lovely book with great down to earth characters. Loved the Sunshine Coast Qld setting as well. I'm going to seek out more fiction novels by this fantastic Australian author!
Alice
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! I enjoyed both sides of the dual timeline and loved the setting. Kimberley Freeman has created realistic, three-dimensional characters and her expressive language takes you right to where each part of the story is set. This is my first book by this author and I look forward to reading the rest.
Amanda
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I found this to be very slow moving. The characters were not overly likable and for that reason, I couldn't seem to get engaged in this, unlike Freeman's first novel, Wildflower Hill. I was hoping for more of a connection between the past and present storylines and I found that the story ended abruptly.
Nikifunaki
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I seem to be reading a lot multi-generational novels with female characters with an element of mystery and romance. This book was one of the better ones. I liked the setting of Australia and the idea of making jewelry. Perfect for all of my afternoons sitting on the beach!

• Tumbledown Manor
  • Suitcase of Dreams (The Girl from Munich #2)
  • The Sea House
  • A Half Forgotten Song
  • The Butterfly Room
  • The Midnight Rose
  • The Angel Tree
  • The Beach at Painter's Cove
  • The Royal Secret
  • The Orchid House
  • Under Vintergatans alla stjärnor (Emma #1)
  • Disco Sour
  • Blackberry Winter
  • The Girl on the Cliff
  • Thornwood House
  • The Clockmaker's Daughter
  • Το μυστικό της μπλε πολυκατοικίας
  • Wildwood Creek (Moses Lake, #4)
Pen name of Kim Wilkins.

Kimberley was born in London and her family moved back to Australia when she was three years old. She grew up in Queensland where she currently lives.

Kimberley has written for as long as she can remember and she is proud to write in many genres. She is an award-winning writer in children’s, historical and speculative fiction under her birth name Kim Wilkins. She adopted the
“It is terrible to lose a loved one... Such sadness doesn't just bruise, then fade away. It devastates. The only way back is to rebuild, stone by stone. And sometimes one hasn't the energy, or the inclination, and one sits among the ruins and waits for something to change. But nothing changes unless we stand up again, and keep picking up the stones.” 0 likes