Start by marking “The McElderry Book of Mother Goose: Revered and Rare Rhymes” as Want to Read:
The McElderry Book of Mother Goose: Revered and Rare Rhymes

The McElderry Book of Mother Goose: Revered and Rare Rhymes

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Mother Goose gets a makeover in this vibrant new collection of childhood classics.This innovative Mother Goose collection combines family favorites with less well-known rhymes in a bright, new package. Here Little Miss Muffet and her tuffet meet Gregory Griggs and his twenty-seven wigs, and the cat and the fiddle are not the only music-makers—there’s also Terrence McDiddle ...more
Published August 21st 2012 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The McElderry Book of Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The McElderry Book of Mother Goose

Melissa
Love, LOVE this collection. This is NOT a toddler-preschool selection of rhymes--if you want that, Rosemary Wells and Lucy Cousins have it nailed.

Here, illustrator Mathers writes in her author's note that she was "amazed at how many rhymes had disappeared from recent collections." She chose a great selection of these less-familiar rhymes with an eye to older children who could perhaps appreciate the "longer rhymes and the sad and scary ones [that] have not been included" in other books.

What I
Justine Paige
This is a book filled with traditional nursery rhymes, like Hey Diddle Diddle and Hickory Dickory Dock. There are also spin offs of the original fairy tales like in Little Miss Tucket, who sits on a bucket, or Mary Had a Little Bird. There are also what i think are more original ones as in Doctor Foster Or From Wibbleton to Wobbleton. These seem to be written for multiple cultures as well. I really liked it and think it would be great for readers in second or third grade who have previous knowle ...more
Liem Nguyen
Mathers, Petra. The McElderry Book of Mother Goose. The book consist of several familiar rhymes and other less familiar one. The illustration by is Petra Mathers is filled with images of water color drawings. The drawings and color represent an impressionist artistic feel throughout the pages. Mathers uses cool colors that create a calm serenity throughout the pages. He strategically uses warm color on certain images that he want to stand out.

I enjoy remembering old rhyme as well discovering new
Maria Celis
Mathers, Petra. The McElderry Book of Mother Goose (2012). Author, Petra Mathers, provides a compilation of well-known and not-so-well known nursery rhymes. Each rhyme is clever and witty , telling silly and interesting stories embedded with lessons and history. The painted illustrations are lively and purposeful for each rhyme’s tale, with some fully coloring the page while others are placed in niches drawing your eye to where the rhyme’s main character is waiting. Each rhyme is delightful, alt ...more
Justyn Rampa
So interestingly enough, I've just recently decided to make Mother Goose a larger part of my story but I was worried how I was going to incorporate her rhymes since they are so small. As luck would have it, I happened upon this book while checking in materials at the library where I work.

On my lunch break I sat down to read it and it was WONDERFUL! Petra Mathers went out of her way to collect some of the more obscure and darker Mother Goose rhymes and she did a great job! These are so strange a
Dolly
Jan 31, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining collection of nursery rhymes, some of which are commonly known. Many of the rhymes we had never heard of before and several of them made us say, "hmmm..." after we read them.

The illustrations are colorful and cartoonish and although there are quite a number of poems in this book, it was not hard for us to read the entire book at one time. We enjoyed reading this book together and I thought it was interesting to see some rhymes that have faded into obscurity.
Tianna
Loved the first half of the book, the second half had rhymes that are most certainly not for small children. Some of them are quite sad or dark. Read through it first if you intend to read it to a child, so you can skip over those rhymes.
Ms. B
Not what I was expecting, most of these are nursery rhymes that very, very few people are familiar with. According to the endpapers and to the Author's Note, these REALLY are from Mother Goose.
Samantha
A refreshing collection of Mother Goose rhymes; some are familiar, while others are rarely included in such collections, but make for entertaining reading. Each rhyme is illustrated in full color. Must see!
Audrey
Not appropriate for my three year old, some old classics but also some of the darker tales. Well organized for an older reader.
Crystal
This definitely had some rare rhymes and that was nice, but it was just okay.
Andrea Labonte
Heidi
Heidi added it
May 13, 2015
Laura Salas
Laura Salas marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Lottie's New Beach Towel When Aunt Mattie Got Her Wings Lottie's New Friend Sophie and Lou Dodo Gets Married