Start by marking “The Charge: Activating the 10 Human Drives That Make You Feel Alive” as Want to Read:

The Charge: Activating the 10 Human Drives That Make You Feel Alive

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER. USA TODAY BESTSELLER. AMAZON BESTSELLER. #1 WALL STREET JOURNAL. #1 BARNES AND NOBLE.

On a dark and steamy Caribbean night, Brendon Burchard stood bleeding atop the crumpled hood of his wrecked car. That night he learned about mortality, discovering that at the end of our lives we will all ask, “Did I live? Did I love? Did I matter?” Since tha
Published May 15th 2012 by Free Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Charge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charge

Start your review of The Charge: Activating the 10 Human Drives That Make You Feel Alive
Brendon Burchard
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wait.. I'm TOTALLY biased on this one! :) Can't wait to hear what y'all think!! Here's the preface of the book, just for my Goodreads friends:

Out There

The Charged Life, the truly lived life, is not a routine existence in some quaint, picturesque village of safety and certainty. No, the life worth living is out there, in the wooded wilds of the unknown, on the craggy battlefields that test our wits and wills in the daily fights with our own demons. It is found during the l
Amanda NEVER MANDY
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, dull-jane
I retained absolutely nothing from this read. I don’t know if I should shoulder all of the blame since I picked a type of book I despise, or if it all should go to the actual book itself since it was boring as shit. I will be kind and say that it was organized in a very easy to follow format and the vocabulary used wasn’t too complicated. I will be hateful and say that the lifestyles mentioned did not match my own so there was a certain level of irritation grumbling through my mind as I read it. ...more
Tiffany
Mar 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read the description of the book and had my doubts-- it was a $5.99-er from Audible which should have told me all I needed to know. I had $6 to burn so I bought it.

I shouldn't have.

See, the problem with these kinds of books, as well as the lives of Content Marketers I follow, is that they automatically assume people wake up every morning unmotivated to change their own lives and financial circumstances; that getting super rich is the only way to lead a fulfilling life.
Cathy Haight ulrich
I prefer books with a more Christian perspective. He swears quite a bit. However, it fascinates me that Brendon had a spiritual encounter when he was in a serious car accident that so much is in line with how God interacts with us through nature, situations, and thought processes, that it makes me think that he is on a journey to the One True God, and this is all part of his search for The Truth. The Truth can't contradict itself after-all! In spite of the swearing and his beliefs contradicting ...more
Michael
Nov 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who like Self-help "Gurus" who claim to have "cracked the code."
It's hard to put my finger on what turned me off about "The Charge." Was it Mr. Burchard's "golly-gee-whiz" overly-earnest narration? Was it the numerous times he mentions his "celebrity clients" or his "multi-million dollar" lifestyle? Perhaps it was his generous use of the term "neuroscience." Or was it the fact that Mr. Burchard looks like Walton Goggins...and I kept picturing Boyd Crowder of "Justified" doing the narration!?

My one takeaway from "The Charge" is that I am not the i
Gabriela
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Charge: Activating the 10 Human Drives That Make You Feel Alive
In 'The Charge', Brendon Burchard, top motivational expert, asserts that even in a restless, overworked and sometimes mundane world, it is possible to live an extraordinary life. He identifies 10 drives that are the force behind our humanity and these drives include: the desire for greater control, congruence, competence, challenge, connection, creativity, contribution, caring, change and consciousness. Burchard proposes th
Sara Gottfried
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loving this book way more than I expected. Brendon is the real deal. He has leveraged neuroscience and his scholarship of great leaders, exhaustively studied the physiology of high performance, to create this gem. Highly recommended for people with drive who want to be more effective. Brendon is the next gen Stephen Covey! WOOT!
Ahmed
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
At first I thought to myself: this is a motivational book that couldn't even motivate me to read through it! But I did manage to read it though and I found out that it's a very good book.

It's filled with virtuous rules and useful advices to better yourself and enliven your life, presented in a very easy manner to understand and follow. The author managed to deliver his message in a very intelligible way, very well organized and written.

However, that's not to say that it is easy to a
Jess Macallan
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I've read a few of his books and enjoy his writing style, but this book is hands-down my favorite. It's not another rah rah self-help book. He lays out a strong case for living a "charged life" and a very clear action plan. He'll push you out of your comfort zone where the real fun (and challenges) begin. If you're tired of mediocrity, read this book. I highly recommend it.
Jana
If you read this book alone, it won't be enough to motivate you. But if you are into changing yourself deeply and profoundly, you will probably read one hundred and one other books and THIS ONE. Burchard, yes, he has a bit shimmer glitter shimmer style where he goes into this celeb, that celeb, but if you neglect that noise, you will be left with a great read.

But, it is very important to understand that if you only read books like this and don't work by them, and yet expect to somehow just live
Jenifer
"These days, it's easy to get detached from all the marvels around us. We get antsy when our cell phones drop a call and forget the magical fact that the signal going from the little square box in our hand must travel to some distant cell tower or satellite in space, then through the air at tremendous speeds, then somehow, out of 7 billion people, find the right person's little square box on the other end. When it comes to our technological advancement, we are perhaps the most oblivious and unap ...more
Angela
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brendon Burchard differentiates The Charge from rewarmed, cheer-styled motivation books by utilizing amazingly clear and intuitive suggestions. Burchard challenges readers to proactively re-examine their everyday routines, thoughts and actions. This fresh perspective, combined with simple yet effective action ideas, allows the reader to reactivate emotional and motivational drives that may have been subtly muted by common life trials.
Jan
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is providing the incentive I need to get out of my blahs. I have known all along that my self-defeating attitude has been holding me back (I have become overwhelmed by knowing that technology is moving faster than my brain is) and this book is giving me some concrete instructions for coming out of it... a goal at a time. I have some learning plans I am developing, too. Very worthwhile.
Amanda
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
Very good. Usually with self-help or how-to books I end up making an action guide to go with, but that wasn't necessary in this case. It took me a long time to get through the book, because he includes a lot of journal exercises that require a lot of soul-searching. But I found it helpful, and I am feeling more happy and energized as I incorporate these things into my life. Recommended for anyone who's looking to eliminate the 'MEH' from their life.
Cassandra
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you want more out of life and don't want to just drink another cup of coffee to get it, this is a book for you. As I find myself in a particular part of my life, this is the exactly what I needed to read. Its not magic, but rather hard work to get the life you want but knowing you have to actively pursue it.
Ken Lenoir
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Charge - by Brendon Burchard

Top 3 Takeaways
1. your identity (character) is the ultimate determiner of your success in life, so determine who you want to be ("to be" goals) and determine what actions you can take that would be congruent with that identity. If you keep that up for a long enough time, you will have consciously created who you want to be: your best self living your best life!
2. when making changes in your life, or when you're afraid to do something/make a ch
Danial Riaz
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Charge – Brendon Burchard

Brendon describes feeling charged means feeling engaged, energetic and enthusiastic. He states that there are 3 kinds of lives;
Caged life: People let others/their past dictate their identities and are trapped in a tight box of beliefs about what is possible for them. Life seems scary
Comfortable life: Have all the amenities in life yet you feel ambitionless and without drive/excitement. Life seems stale.

He suggests we should work on 10 drives that will
Eddie S.
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book has to be the most intellectually insulting piece of work since the "10x rule" by Grant Cardone. Each chapter is started by a quote and/or anecdote that connects you to his message. To be completely honest, those so called anecdotes sound completely fabricated for the book. In the beginning of chapter 8, he speaks about an incident where he meets some random guy who ironically makes a living implementing changes to great companies, but can't keep his life in order. Brendon Burchard, au ...more
Zi Jie
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While i do not consider myself to be an experienced book reviewer of sorts, especially so as this is my first book review, i am glad to say that this book is definitely worth a read.

Firstly, Brendon Burchard introduces the personality of someone with a 'charged life', which already includes pointers that everyone can use for their own lives (Can't recall them word for word, and i have lent the book to someone else). Subsequently, Brendon goes into depth for each charge, starting with a short ca
Jessica Bui
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually got my hands on this book at a medical convention where Brendon Burchard was one of the speakers. I mention this because the ideas he conveys through this book were the same ones he demonstrated at the convention, and I will admit that I feel he is much more convincing as a coach in person than through text. That's not to say that he wasn't effective at all with this book, but I couldn't help but be biased about this throughout reading this. This might just be a personal thing.
Robin
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I ordered this book years ago as it was advertised in a Forbes magazine. Now I see Brendon advertised on YouTube, and that's when it reminded me of this book I hadn't yet read. I don't know why I put it off for so long other than partially feeling that self-help books tend to recycle the same uplifting messages for way too many pages and I can only take so much positivity.

To my surprise, there was a major difference solely based on Brendon's personality. You can tell he genuinely likes to corre
John Mccarthy
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it

An interesting quirky book with plenty of practical suggestions to recharge the batteries when experiencing the blahs. Not a panacea but thought-provoking. What alarmed me though was how the author admits readily that he charges a quarter of a million dollars per year at a minimum to individual clients. It kind of spoils the sense one gets that the author is not self-serving in his advice.
Alli Lubin
I see the world differently when I listen to Brendon Burchard. When I meet a CHARGED person, living a CHARGED life, I take notice. I get inspired. I move closer and closer to the highest and best version of myself. I am more loving and compassionate. I'm happier! Always inspiring, insightful and entertaining, Brendon Burchard has written a masterpiece of an action plan for understanding our human drives and living a full and rewarding life.
Betsy
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good self-awareness exercises for those who feel "stuck" or are wanting more out of life. Clustering the basic human drives into actionable groups is a good organizational device. The book's tone is enthusiastic and personable. As with anything, the student needs to be ready.
Debica
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. Among all the inspirational books that ive read, this is the most realistic and detail, so far. How real life scenarios are embedded in this book, i think majority can relate personally to the content.Nice that Coelho made a special appearance at the beginning, it caught my attention.
Diane
Aug 28, 2012 added it
If you're living a caged or comfortable life, you have GOT to read this book--Brendon shares these 10 human drives in great detail--it will force you to get off your behind if you're not happy with the life you're living!!
Lisa
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best book I've read to date on personal transformation and mastering professional achievement. Every chapter is full of insight and practical advice on turning common sense into common practice. Brendon is very inspiring and the book is definitely a game changer.
Chantaine
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! I found so many small action steps to take that are making a huge difference in how I do life. This is a must read for anyone looking to put more life into living!
Kolya Smith
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-read

Last night, I had a terrible, unpleasant experience with productivity guru, Brendon Burchard.
On January 29th, he sent out an email saying - You all loved transformation week so much that we’ve decided to share my ENTIRE Wellness Master Class with you at NO COST over the next 10 days. I’m sharing the ENTIRE course via my podcast as well as via video on this page. But fair warning: Each episode is only up for 72 hours, so enjoy it now.
Fast forward to yesterday, no new email sent out ab
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having just finished High Performance Habits I went back around to this book which surprisingly has been sitting on my shelf since 2013! Glad I waited as I was charged and challenged enough to get through those years.
Yes, I enjoyed getting to know more about Brandon and the development of his call to become a "Performance Coach". He doesn't disappoint with strong motivational content and I won't give it all away but among the fruits of mindfulness, intentional living there was some medical rese
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Self Improvement - Motivation 1 13 May 26, 2012 06:04PM

• Work Smarts: What CEOs Say You Need to Know to Get Ahead
  • The P.R.I.M.E.R. Goal Setting Method: The Only Goal Achievement Guide You'll Ever Need!
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
  • How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • Daily Self-Discipline: Everyday Habits and Exercises to Build Self-Discipline and Achieve Your Goals
  • Use Your Brain to Change Your Age: Secrets to Look, Feel, and Think Younger Every Day
  • To-Do List Formula: A Stress-Free Guide To Creating To-Do Lists That Work!
  • How Luck Happens: Using the Science of Luck to Transform Work, Love, and Life
  • The Wisdom of Life and Counsels and Maxims
  • Choose FI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, Updated and Expanded
  • Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to A Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success
  • The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey
  • Mala
  • Miracle at St Andrews (Travis McKinley, #3)
  • Just My Rotten Luck (Middle School #7)
  • Never Give Up!: Relentless Determination to Overcome Life's Challenges
BRENDON BURCHARD is the author of the New York Times bestselling book, THE CHARGE, and the #1 New York Times bestseller THE MILLIONAIRE MESSENGER. He is also founder of High Performance Academy, the legendary personal development program for achievers, and Experts Academy, the world's most comprehensive marketing training program for aspiring authors, speakers, coaches, and online thought leaders. ...more
“No matter your position, circumstances, or opportunities in life, you always have the freedom of mind to choose how you experience, interpret, and, ultimately, shape your world.” 37 likes
“You are a child of God, and that alone makes you worthy of care and love. If your guard is up, let it down. If you’ve constructed a defensive wall to protect yourself and keep all the bad guys out, don’t forget who that wall also prevents from getting in—the good guys.” 23 likes