Start by marking “The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant” as Want to Read:
The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant

The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant

Comforting and intimate, this “girlfriend” guide to getting pregnant gets to the heart of all the emotional issues around having children—biological pressure, in-law pressures, greater social pressures—to support women who are considering getting pregnant.The Impatient Woman’s Guide to Getting Pregnant is a complete guide to getting pregnant—the medical, psychological, ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Simon & Schuster

Start your review of The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant
Kim Ruehl
Jun 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
The title of this book should be "The impatient married heterosexual woman's guide to getting pregnant in the 1950s," because - wow - I'll just say the writer and I have different worldviews. All references to men in this book make them sound like bumbling sex-crazed idiots who could care less about their partner's feelings. Right off the bat, she admits people reading the book could be making a child with something other than a husband, but decides that "husband" will be her catchall term. This ...more
Meredith
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, pregnancy
Don't let the sarcasm in the title put you off. This book is an excellent guide for any woman dissatisfied with the standard ob-gyn advice to getting pregnant: stop taking birth control, start taking a prenatal vitamin, and don't worry until after an entire year of trying. Most don't even recommend charting to try to determine a woman's fertility window.

This book is also a fabulous resource for up-to-date research, and the citations for all the scientific studies discussed are listed on pages
Ciara
this book was released literally about two minutes after i finally got pregnant, after almost a year of trying, one hysterosalpingogram, & four cycles of clomid. but i read it anyway, as research for my still-trying bros. it probably won't be terribly useful to ladies who have been trying for a while & have graduated to IUI or beyond, but for those just starting out or only a few cycles in, there's really a wealth of information here. including a lot of stuff that i eventually learned ...more
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
The biggest thing I learned from this book is that I am not nearly as "impatient" as I thought I was when I started the book. I never really got behind the "girlfriend" casual language and agree that it's written from a very specific mindset in which it's super funny to treat dudes as macho bumbling idiots who are never going to agree with you.

But, it's super short, covers the basics and I learned some new things (admittedly mostly old wives tales that I can remember but still). It gave me
Alison Diem
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I LOVED the author's voice and writing style. As a not-particularly "girly" woman, the lack of romanticism of pregnancy was very refreshing. I liked how she was very blunt and open, about every topic.

My only regret with this book is that I wish that she would have written more on after you actually get pregnant, because her candor and openness is so refreshing, it would be nice to have had her as a "guide" once pregnancy has been achieved.

I would rec this to anyone trying to get pregnant- short,
Rose Lindgren
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After six months of trying to get pregnant using IUI, I decided to do some more reading and learning about fertility. This book is short and easy to read and I would happily recommend it. My spouse and I are both female so a lot of the recommendations in this book aren't directly relevant because they are about how to time sex for best fertility. That said, I did appreciate Twenge's aggregation of the various studies and books on fertility and their very varied usefulness/relevance to modern ...more
Anna
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I debated whether to track this here in Goodreads, but I decided I wanted to, and also, if you know me personally and feel the desire to comment with your opinion on the subject matter, either here or in person, please take this opportunity to NOT.

Anyway, I think this is a great book for someone exactly like me - a 30-something heterosexually married woman with Type A tendencies and control issues. I feel that Dr. Twenge writes in a manner that is accessible but not condescending. I haven't done
D. BonAnno
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book to be packed with important facts, debunking many long-standing myths about fertility, and "telling it straight," which I always appreciate. I consider it a must-read for any woman who is exceptionally impatient about getting pregnant, but hasn't yet run into issues with infertility. This book covers charting, cycle-tracking, and a number of other "how-tos" of conceiving, but it is not built for couples who are struggling with infertility--just impatience.

As much as I loved
Marcella
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book for the over 30 set in trying to get pregnant. Gives a good kick to be more proactive than just pulling the goalies and explains theories that may have come up in conversation.
Quynh Vo
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Easy quick encouraging beginner read. Don't start on What to expect unless you want to find natural sleep aids.
Kristen
Dec 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
*Read for a friend* This book was billed as offering the latest information on fertility delivered in a girlfriend-to-girlfriend manner with humor and addressing the emotional aspects involved in trying to conceive. Sadly, while the book was published in 2012, the author's gender politics are terribly outdated. She gives the slightest acknowledgement that non-heteronormative couples exist, only to say that for simplicity sake she'll be referring to folks in the book as husbands and wives (as ...more
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was really funny and helpful. Twenge gets down to basics, and more importantly, actually looks at the studies behind the statistics quoted in the other gazillion books in the baby-making genre (I don't know the dewey decimal numbers for that). For example, Twenge uncovers that the doom and gloom statistics often cited about fertility for women in their 30s is based on hospital records from France in the 1700-1800s. Don't get me wrong, she's not polyannish about this stuff, but she actually ...more
Becca Altimier
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was at Disney World the day my 5th grade public school classmates got the talk. I feel caught up after reading this book.

This book isn’t only for “impatient women” but rather women who value efficiency and knowledge about their bodies and pregnancy. I’m sure it’s not for everyone, as nothing is. There are plenty of places where her casual tone grated on me (in her general remarks about men’s disinterest and love of football, rather than as partners). On the whole though, I found the content
Angela
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wouldn't really recommend this. The other, more critical reviews are right - the book's style is gratingly tone deaf, and this book is implicitly pitched towards a very specific subset of women. What I like to call the "Lean In" demographic of women: that is, women who are already pretty privileged, educated, relatively well-off, and married to a man. Women who would call themselves "type A". Women who are also not suffering from a diagnosed fertility issue, but just need a book-length manual ...more
Ariana
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
28 Year Old Perspective

And then there was that one review...

Now don’t get me wrong, I semi-enjoyed this book and the vast amount of information that it contained. However, as a 28-year-old trying to start her family - this book was definitely designed for an older woman attempting to get pregnant. The book often referenced ages ranging 35 and above while mentioning IVF frequently. Although all this information is important for any woman struggling to conceive, I feel at my present stage the
Mary
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
File this alongside Expecting Better with women in the social sciences who apply their understanding of big data and how to read journal articles to stressful reproduction issues. Twenge is a little too "girlfriend-y" for my tastes, but she is very approachable with common misconceptions about...conception. Huh. Anyway, she talks about many of the possible nagging thoughts of older, ambitious, results-driven women who want to have a baby--are your eggs too old and shriveled at 35? can you "time" ...more
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Good useful information to help prepare for and work to get pregnant. I didn't really love her "humor" or maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it. I did not feel like I was talking to one of my girlfriends, as advertised.

I did appreciate the succinct summaries of information throughout. Also liked the strategies for dealing with stress and worry while trying to conceive.

I think I've picked up this book way past where the author or her intended audience is at, so her anecdotes weren't
Ellyn
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is an easy read that contains a lot of useful and interesting information for women in their 30s who are trying to get pregnant. I’ve read a lot about the topic already, so I didn’t discover too much that was new to me, but I did feel reassured that I was doing all the right things (and I did get pregnant shortly after reading the book). The author’s writing style and sense of humor can be a bit annoying at times, and she’s definitely writing for a narrow demographic, but it’s a worthwhile ...more
Christina Furtado
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
When you're trying to get pregnant (TTC), it can be easy and dizzying to get lost in all the research and medical jargon that exists out there. Reading this book was like having a friend who had done all the research for me and boiled it down to the essentials. Though there's still a lot I find overwhelming to digest, the point of the book is to choose the path that's best for you and your sanity - something I truly appreciate. Highly recommended.
Stephanie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of the stories in this book are very relatable--I found myself laughing out loud at parts and almost crying at others. Most of the information seems credible, though I would have to do more research on some of the claims. Also, while I like how the author injects personal experiences and humor into the book, the portrayal of men (husbands for the most part) is a bit stereotypical. It's not for everyone, but if you are an IW who is TTC, you'll likely appreciate this book.
Sara
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Adam Ruins Everything featured this researcher on his program and it sounded interesting. I picked it up to be better informed and also to be able to respond to busybodies who have nothing better to do than ask if I’m pregnant yet.

I have the book three stars because, while it was well researched and helpful the “girlfriend” tone was nauseating.
Amy
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
As other reviewers have noted, this book is pretty much geared exclusively to healthy, straight married women in their 30s who are busy but want to have kids ASAP. And it is a little cheesy. But if you fit the demographic and you are looking for a very quick read on basic family planning info, this is it.
Melissa Colby
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read with a whole slew of tips. I can't say that there was one tip in particular that did the trick but it did make me feel like I had some tools to work with and my pregnancy wasn't just being left up to fate. It is quite thorough and well worth your time if you want to conceive ASAP.
Amanda Dolan
Best for those just starting their TTC journey

This seemed to be a review of everything I had already read elsewhere. I was hoping to find some new gems of information, new things to try and didn’t find it. I think I and others might be better served by finding inspiration to change our impatient mindset.
Julie Suro
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I genuinely enjoyed this book. Being an impatient person made this quick, easy read worth while. There is a lot of medical speak, facts and stats, which I guess is necessary but all in all there is no real way to get pregnant quickly. I just like the fact that I’m not the only one who feels super impatient about making it happen.
Jennie
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Lots of good information but I didn’t love the tone, especially when talking about husbands, which were represented as uninvolved buffoons. I think one section even talked about using a sports metaphor to explain ovulation cycles, since husbands would inevitably tune out otherwise - oof.
Erin
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
There is a lot of conflicting information in this book. Though humorous and somewhat informative I have chosen to give this book 3 stars. As an anxious woman who is in the ttc process, I found little practical advice personally.
Dara Boxer
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. Simply OK. If you have the most basic understanding of conception, you won't learn anything new with this book, if anything, it'll make you a bit antsy and anxious. If you're looking for solid information, go buy Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
K
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ttc, pregnancy, babies
Thought it was a very informative, easy read. Liked that she used scientific data and blew up some of the myths surrounding TTC
Leila Chandler
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The information was good and up-to date, but her awful forced attempts at humour were so painfully lame, it really brought down the quality of the book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
how to get pregnant fast 1 4 May 10, 2016 04:52AM

• Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • What to Expect Before You're Expecting
  • It Starts with the Egg: How the Science of Egg Quality Can Help You Get Pregnant Naturally, Prevent Miscarriage, and Improve Your Odds in IVF
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • Get Ready to Get Pregnant
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program for Maximum Fertility
  • The Art of Waiting: On Fertility, Medicine, and Motherhood
  • How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
  • Like a Mother: A Feminist Journey Through the Science and Culture of Pregnancy
  • Nurture: A Modern Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, Early Motherhood—and Trusting Yourself and Your Body (Pregnancy Books, Mom to Be Gifts, Newborn Books, Birthing Books)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #2)
  • Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way
  • Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds
Dr. Twenge frequently gives talks and seminars on teaching and working with today’s young generation based on a dataset of 11 million young people. Her audiences have included college faculty and staff, high school teachers, military personnel, camp directors, and corporate executives. Her research has been covered in Time, Newsweek, The New York Times, USA Today, U.S. News and World Report, and ...more
“Cake is merely a frosting delivery mechanism. Unfortunately,” 0 likes