Start by marking “Boo to You!” as Want to Read:
Boo to You!

Boo to You!

From the illustrator of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Lois Ehlert’s Boo to You! is now available as a Classic Board Book, perfect for small hands.

The harvest garden is bursting with delicious vegetables, the pumpkins are decorated and lit, and the mice have their costumes ready. Everyone is looking forward to the annual harvest feast. Scary Cat wasn’t invited to the party, but
Board Book, 36 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Little Simon (first published August 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Boo to You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boo to You!

Tricia
Definitely not my fav of the Ehlert titles, this one shows the scary cat arriving for a fall feast. I wasn't a big fan of some choices in the text ("guess who's the creep we didn't invite?") and can think of other books by this author I would be quicker to recommend to both peers and patrons.
Gwen the Librarian
Aug 25, 2009 Gwen the Librarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
I'm really a big fan of Lois Ehlert's collage style, especially the pieces she uses from nature. It's fun to use the books with kids and make your own "found" art. Anyway, her newest book celebrates harvest and Halloween as two mice who are trying to eat in the garden get a good idea for scaring away the cat that is stalking them. The collages are made from paper, vegetables, seeds, nuts, twine, and many other materials. I love the color palette; it's perfect for fall, except for the blue mice w ...more
Tanya W
Pretty much just a good children's book made really good because of the fabulous collage artwork that I LOVED.
Brian Barnett
This is a good early reading book. My six-year-old read it with very minimal help. It has interesting artwork, incorporating autumn harvest foods with construction paper characters.
Elizabeth
I loved the artwork, but didn't love some of the choices with words/story wise.

Krista Vogts
Feb 12, 2017 Krista Vogts rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book because it looked like a good Halloween book. I liked how it had rhyming words in it, but I did not enjoy some of the text used. The line that bothered me the most was probably where it said, "guess who's the creep we didn't invite." I don't think this is something I would want my students to see, but the overall story of two mice trying to scare away the cat was interesting. I would like to read some more books by this author because I heard a lot of her books are great! Boo t ...more
Beckie
Illustrations were neat as foliage and garden materials were used rather than drawings or paintings. Story was just ok but the kids liked it well enough. The pictures were more grabbing for me than the story.
Baby Bookworm
Halloween Week, Day 3: Hello, everybody! Our book today is Boo To You! by Lois Ehlert, a story about some tricky mice, told with harvest-themed collage art.

The mice are setting up for their harvest dinner with their friends Squirrel and Racoon, but they are all frightened that the cat (a meat-eater) will find out and crash the party. So all together, they use their autumn vegetables to create a scary costume to frighten the cat off.

This book definitely had a different art style, and I’m still no
K.C.
Jul 09, 2012 K.C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ehlert, Lois. (2009). Boo to You! New York: Beach Lane Books.

Category: engineered books, picture storybooks

The mice prepare for their harvest party, picking fall produce, decorating pumpkins, inviting guests, and putting on their masks. When everything is ready, they wait until dark. The scary cat tries to crash the party, but the mice are ready for him. The fold-out page heightens the illustration of their strategy. This is the cutest book!! Lots of shapes and textures and even real produce and
Sarah Sammis
Boo to You! by Lois Ehlert is about a group of mice trying to scare away the big bad cat who is terrorizing their pumpkin patch. The mice work through out the story to build the perfect thing to scare away the big bad cat. Their project has the desired results.

Ehlert wrote and illustrated the book. She used photos of fall time crops: gourds, pumpkins, summer squash, corn and so forth, as well as cut paper. The cat's teeth, for example, are pumpkin seeds. It's whiskers are twine.

The final pages o
Kristen
Jan 11, 2016 Kristen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books, halloween
Yikes. My daughter pulled this book off the shelf at the library, so we checked it out. She just learned the sound a cat makes, so I think that was the appeal. Also - she just kind of pulls books off the shelf right now (she's 15 months old), lol.

I checked it out anyway, and this was just terrible. The story was weird - a cat trying to crash the rats feast? And the ending was really strange and abrupt. The art was very abstract and not appealing to the eye and was hard to decipher.

The only thing
 Mummy Cat Claire
I didn't love this book. Some of the words and use of the words were poor choices in my opinion. However, my son has me read this book to him multiple times in a row.
For me the pictures are strange but he loves them. The book is written in rhyme. I think this has something to do with him liking it. I must admit the rhythm is catchy.
In the back of the book (kind of an index)there are multiple pictures of pumpkins and it talks about carving pumpkins. After that there are a couple of pages with t
Hannah
Oct 25, 2010 Hannah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I didn't like this book, the boy did. He is easily swayed by "scary" and almost anything with a Halloween theme. The most interesting part of the book was the collage illustrations. We talked a lot about the components of the different animals (twine/rope as whiskers etc) and very little about the text. Speaking of, I thought the story was clunky, with poor word choices in several locations such as "the creep we didn't invite." I think this one would be an easy skip, there are better Halloween/f ...more
Fjóla
We've enjoyed many of Lois Ehlert's books (and we LOVE Chicka Chicka Boom Boom), but I didn't think too much of this story. The collage illustrations are interesting though. My son liked the pumpkin masks.
Joy
On the one hand, I like the big, simple text and story for a read-aloud, but the intricacies of Ehlert's collages here (photographs of fall vegetables and things like twine are put together to make the mice and cat) would seem better for a one-and-one read. Got a so-so reaction at storytime; there are enough other Halloween/Fall/Harvest books that I'll probably try something different next year.
Katie
Mar 24, 2016 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love this author, bit did not love this book, despite wanting to. It was similar in style to Leaf Man, but I just didn't enjoy the text or the images much. I'd give "Leaf Man" and "Nuts to You" 5 stars, but feel like this one fell flat. Perhaps it just wasn't my taste. We'll try it again when Walt is older and see what he thinks.
Dolly
Oct 06, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Although not specifically about Halloween (the narrative mentions a Harvest Party, instead), this is a fun book to read around this spooky holiday. The mixed media collages are fun and we enjoyed pointing out the plants and things we recognized. And the masks, jack-o'-lanterns, and adorable fuzzy creatures make this a treat for autumn reading. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Cosette
Oct 31, 2014 Cosette rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter LOVED this book! She loved the pictures and created the story based on what she saw. Me? I felt brain cells literally evaporating while trying to read through this book. And found myself reading over my daughter's mumbling. I suppose I could try this book again - but no way am I reading it again. I'd let my daughter tell me what's going on instead.
Catherine Woodman
I think the ideal age for this book would be to read to a 2 year old at this fall and Halloween season--get it out in October, don't own it--it has very big pictures, many of them made of squashes and seeds--kind of pictures of them done in a cut out picture, then photographed--the kind of thing that appeals to a 2-3 year old, and in those bright simple colors. Don't buy, get out of library.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I found this one creepy rather than amusing and the illustrations too chaotic to be easily "read." The story is cute and the large, simple text makes it seem as if it should be appropriate for young children but I don't think that kids on the younger side will understand the pictures as the distinct parts of the composition, such as the mice are difficult to make out from the background.
Fatima
May 01, 2011 Fatima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is amazing because of its illustrations. children in grade one, will like the characters the mice who want to celebrate Halloween and invite all mice except the scary cat. In my opinion, bilingual teachers can read it aloud for children who have diverse backgrounds because it gives them an idea about American traditional celebrations such as Halloween.
Emily Garrison
Oct 20, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a picture book which contains a rhyming, rhythmic story about mice who are planning a fall party and a big scary cat is after them. The mice gather all sorts of items for their party and when it gets dark and the cat is stalking, the mice scare the cat! "Boo" to the cat! The story is cut with unique pictures and a very likable poetry-like story line. I highly recommend!
Courtney
This book has great graphics. The depictions of the cat and other characters in this book are created from other objects, like string, and food products. At the end there is a pictorial list of the items used in the book to create the characters. This seems like it would be a good book to get craft ideas from.
Julie Graham 47150
I usually like Ehlert's incredible illustrations, but I found this one a little hard to decifer. Maybe that's what Ehlert intended. However, it did take me awhile to figure out some of the forms and shapes. That being stated, it is a cute little story for Halloween. I think my first graders will like it.
Boni
Feb 16, 2009 Boni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where's that half-star when you need it?? I'd go up to 4 1/2 in a heartbeat :) Only open this book if you have the time to let your children PORE over the illustrations endlessly- because they will. And the fun Halloween theme is a bonus. I think this is some of Ehlert's best work.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
I really wasn't a huge fan of this story line. Mice and other creatures scavenging food (or having a party as they call it) and them fearing that the cat is going to come eat them. I personally do not think that is a great thing for little kids to be reading.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I was somewhat disappointed in the text for this book. Fans of Ehlert will once again enjoy the multi-textured collage style illustrations but the story was a little flat. Young children will enjoy it simply for the pictures.
Amy Brown
Slightly scary harvest time/fall story about a mouse who is trying to hide from the cat and creates a mask to scare him away. Lots of fall veggies in the illustrations, would be good for a harvest party since it doesn't mention Halloween (although it does have a pumpkin).
Meredith
A group of collage mice decide to hold a harvest party and assemble a Jack-O-Lantern scarecrow to frighten off the farmer's cat. The rhyming text is full of PG-rated posturing words, creating a tone of elementary school students attempting to rap. Excellent cut paper collage illustrations.
Cat
Sep 10, 2014 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It's a little bit hard for Sophia to discern the shape of the animals in the cut-outs at this age (two and a half), but she loves the idea of the mice getting revenge on the big, mean cat! The ending delights her.
MCC Children's Li...: picture books 1 1 Feb 06, 2012 04:10PM
  • Ten in the Bed
  • A Funny Little Bird
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • A Splendid Friend, Indeed
  • Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep!
  • If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!