Start by marking “Boo to You!” as Want to Read:
Boo to You!

Boo to You!

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  56 reviews
From the illustrator of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Lois Ehlert’s Boo to You! is now available as a Classic Board Book, perfect for small hands.

The harvest garden is bursting with delicious vegetables, the pumpkins are decorated and lit, and the mice have their costumes ready. Everyone is looking forward to the annual harvest feast. Scary Cat wasn&#8217
Board Book, 36 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Little Simon (first published August 4th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Boo to You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boo to You!

Tricia
Definitely not my fav of the Ehlert titles, this one shows the scary cat arriving for a fall feast. I wasn't a big fan of some choices in the text ("guess who's the creep we didn't invite?") and can think of other books by this author I would be quicker to recommend to both peers and patrons.
Brian Barnett
This is a good early reading book. My six-year-old read it with very minimal help. It has interesting artwork, incorporating autumn harvest foods with construction paper characters.
Gwen the Librarian
I'm really a big fan of Lois Ehlert's collage style, especially the pieces she uses from nature. It's fun to use the books with kids and make your own "found" art. Anyway, her newest book celebrates harvest and Halloween as two mice who are trying to eat in the garden get a good idea for scaring away the cat that is stalking them. The collages are made from paper, vegetables, seeds, nuts, twine, and many other materials. I love the color palette; it's perfect for fall, except for the blue mice w ...more
Elizabeth
I loved the artwork, but didn't love some of the choices with words/story wise.

Tanya W
Pretty much just a good children's book made really good because of the fabulous collage artwork that I LOVED.
K.C.
Ehlert, Lois. (2009). Boo to You! New York: Beach Lane Books.

Category: engineered books, picture storybooks

The mice prepare for their harvest party, picking fall produce, decorating pumpkins, inviting guests, and putting on their masks. When everything is ready, they wait until dark. The scary cat tries to crash the party, but the mice are ready for him. The fold-out page heightens the illustration of their strategy. This is the cutest book!! Lots of shapes and textures and even real produce and
Sarah Sammis
Boo to You! by Lois Ehlert is about a group of mice trying to scare away the big bad cat who is terrorizing their pumpkin patch. The mice work through out the story to build the perfect thing to scare away the big bad cat. Their project has the desired results.

Ehlert wrote and illustrated the book. She used photos of fall time crops: gourds, pumpkins, summer squash, corn and so forth, as well as cut paper. The cat's teeth, for example, are pumpkin seeds. It's whiskers are twine.

The final pages o
Cosette
My daughter LOVED this book! She loved the pictures and created the story based on what she saw. Me? I felt brain cells literally evaporating while trying to read through this book. And found myself reading over my daughter's mumbling. I suppose I could try this book again - but no way am I reading it again. I'd let my daughter tell me what's going on instead.
Cat
It's a little bit hard for Sophia to discern the shape of the animals in the cut-outs at this age (two and a half), but she loves the idea of the mice getting revenge on the big, mean cat! The ending delights her.
Lauren
We are getting into full Halloween mode and this was our first book this season! Violet loved the cool illustrations and read the short, rhyming sentences with ease.
Michael
Good rhyming book, different artwork, and a simple story that children will enjoy, especially around the Halloween holidays.
Stephanie
I really wasn't a huge fan of this story line. Mice and other creatures scavenging food (or having a party as they call it) and them fearing that the cat is going to come eat them. I personally do not think that is a great thing for little kids to be reading.
Claire
I didn't love this book. Some of the words and use of the words were poor choices in my opinion. However, my son has me read this book to him multiple times in a row.
For me the pictures are strange but he loves them. The book is written in rhyme. I think this has something to do with him liking it. I must admit the rhythm is catchy.
In the back of the book (kind of an index)there are multiple pictures of pumpkins and it talks about carving pumpkins. After that there are a couple of pages with t
Maggie
Beautiful! And a delight to read aloud to my toddler granddaughter.
Hannah
I didn't like this book, the boy did. He is easily swayed by "scary" and almost anything with a Halloween theme. The most interesting part of the book was the collage illustrations. We talked a lot about the components of the different animals (twine/rope as whiskers etc) and very little about the text. Speaking of, I thought the story was clunky, with poor word choices in several locations such as "the creep we didn't invite." I think this one would be an easy skip, there are better Halloween/f ...more
Calla
Storytime late October. Harvest. Fun.
Fjóla
We've enjoyed many of Lois Ehlert's books (and we LOVE Chicka Chicka Boom Boom), but I didn't think too much of this story. The collage illustrations are interesting though. My son liked the pumpkin masks.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I found this one creepy rather than amusing and the illustrations too chaotic to be easily "read." The story is cute and the large, simple text makes it seem as if it should be appropriate for young children but I don't think that kids on the younger side will understand the pictures as the distinct parts of the composition, such as the mice are difficult to make out from the background.
Catherine Woodman
I think the ideal age for this book would be to read to a 2 year old at this fall and Halloween season--get it out in October, don't own it--it has very big pictures, many of them made of squashes and seeds--kind of pictures of them done in a cut out picture, then photographed--the kind of thing that appeals to a 2-3 year old, and in those bright simple colors. Don't buy, get out of library.
Joy
On the one hand, I like the big, simple text and story for a read-aloud, but the intricacies of Ehlert's collages here (photographs of fall vegetables and things like twine are put together to make the mice and cat) would seem better for a one-and-one read. Got a so-so reaction at storytime; there are enough other Halloween/Fall/Harvest books that I'll probably try something different next year.
Dolly
Oct 06, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Although not specifically about Halloween (the narrative mentions a Harvest Party, instead), this is a fun book to read around this spooky holiday. The mixed media collages are fun and we enjoyed pointing out the plants and things we recognized. And the masks, jack-o'-lanterns, and adorable fuzzy creatures make this a treat for autumn reading. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Fatima

This book is amazing because of its illustrations. children in grade one, will like the characters the mice who want to celebrate Halloween and invite all mice except the scary cat. In my opinion, bilingual teachers can read it aloud for children who have diverse backgrounds because it gives them an idea about American traditional celebrations such as Halloween.
Courtney
This book has great graphics. The depictions of the cat and other characters in this book are created from other objects, like string, and food products. At the end there is a pictorial list of the items used in the book to create the characters. This seems like it would be a good book to get craft ideas from.
Julie Graham 47150
I usually like Ehlert's incredible illustrations, but I found this one a little hard to decifer. Maybe that's what Ehlert intended. However, it did take me awhile to figure out some of the forms and shapes. That being stated, it is a cute little story for Halloween. I think my first graders will like it.
Meredith
A group of collage mice decide to hold a harvest party and assemble a Jack-O-Lantern scarecrow to frighten off the farmer's cat. The rhyming text is full of PG-rated posturing words, creating a tone of elementary school students attempting to rap. Excellent cut paper collage illustrations.
Boni
Where's that half-star when you need it?? I'd go up to 4 1/2 in a heartbeat :) Only open this book if you have the time to let your children PORE over the illustrations endlessly- because they will. And the fun Halloween theme is a bonus. I think this is some of Ehlert's best work.
Evelyn Matias
This book is so cute. I love the pictures and how they are done using different vegetables and fall colors. The mice in the story are made in a very creative way they almost look like they could be in a play. This book is a great non scary Halloween book that kids of all ages can enjoy.
Amy Brown
Slightly scary harvest time/fall story about a mouse who is trying to hide from the cat and creates a mask to scare him away. Lots of fall veggies in the illustrations, would be good for a harvest party since it doesn't mention Halloween (although it does have a pumpkin).
Agnes
Great selection for both a fall harvest theme and Halloween. The collage of pictures and other paper, fabric and twine cutout pieces can be a little too busy but at the same time these details will hopefully leave this book in the reader's hands for a while longer.
Brian Cave
The story is not too interesting or special but the illustrations are some of the most unique I have seen.The illustrations are compiled of nuts, fabric, food, and household items. Really interesting on how the different items are compiled to complete the pictures.
MCC Children's Li...: picture books 1 1 Feb 06, 2012 04:10PM
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • If You're Hoppy
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Aaaarrgghh! Spider!
  • If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!
  • Wolf! Wolf!