Start by marking “Creepy Carrots!” as Want to Read:
Creepy Carrots!

Creepy Carrots!

(Creepy Carrots #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  11,489 ratings  ·  1,453 reviews
The Twilight Zone comes to the carrot patch in this clever picture book parable about a rabbit who fears his favorite treats are out to get him. Jasper Rabbit loves carrots—especially Crackenhopper Field carrots.

He eats them on the way to school.

He eats them going to Little League.

He eats them walking home.

Until the day the carrots start following him...or are they?

Published August 21st 2012 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Creepy Carrots!, please sign up.
Maria If the 7-8YO is at the "typical" reading level, this may be a bit young for her/him. This is more in my 5YO's lane.…moreIf the 7-8YO is at the "typical" reading level, this may be a bit young for her/him. This is more in my 5YO's lane. (less)

·  11,489 ratings  ·  1,453 reviews

Start your review of Creepy Carrots!
Betsy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A children's librarian is half media specialist, half psychic. It isn't enough to have to know the books in your collection. You have to know what that pint-sized patron standing before you REALLY wants when they say they want "a scary book". For a while there I had this very persistent three-year-old who would beg me for scary fare and wait as I dutifully pulled picture book after picture book for him. After a while I'd begin to wonder what would happen if I actually gave him what he said he ...more
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Plot : To be honest, my pupils weren't completely engrossed by the story : Jasper the rabbit, who looooves eating carrots, starts noticing that he is stalked by... creepy carrots. Of course as usual with this kind of storyline, nobody believes him and his stalkers disappear as soon as he turns...

MWAHAHAHAHAHA. Quite fun, but not that original. This being said, the twist in the end is really funny^^

Art : I have to agree with my pupils on this : the pictures are wonderful and earn some good
Calista
Much Joy and Fun was had with this book. Don't overeat your carrots. They will come after you.

The kids enjoyed this book. The art is fantastic and there is a little bit of creepy.

Works well in the Holiday Season.
Sheri
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Sometimes too much of a good thing can be a bad thing: carrots in this case. Jasper gets creative and finds a way to put the situation of the creepy carrots back in his control. Just scary enough for younger children, the illustrations really help make this story. Has potential to be a lesson in not letting fear get the best of you.
Manybooks
Although I usually do not tend to all that much appreciate creepily illustrated picture books, I have quite enjoyed if not even loved Aaron Reynolds' Creepy Carrots, as both the author's presented narrative and Peter Brown's accompanying illustrations are just potentially uncanny enough to be a tiny bit but not overly and exaggeratingly frightening. And yes, indeed, for those of us who tend to like irony and also have a rather warped and perverse sense of humour, Creepy Carrots is truly ...more
Kendall
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are the star of this book for me. I love the black/white with only the color orange making an appearance on each page. The story was okay--things aren't what they seem and there is nothing to be afraid of, etc.
Jason Byerly
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Creepy Carrots! are a tasty treat

What is the scariest vegetable of all time? Broccoli? Rutabaga? Black olives, perhaps? Kids have been debating this question for centuries. If you asked Jasper Rabbit, however, he would tell you that you’re barking up the wrong produce aisle. Everyone knows that the scariest vegetable of all time is any vegetable that follows you home.

At least everyone knows this who has read Creepy Carrots!, a brilliant new picture book by Aaron Reynolds and Peter Brown.

Cheryl
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Hm. I hope the youngsters reading this know that it's satire, that there really aren't monsters in closet, that carrots are a good food.... But those concerns don't lower my rating. I think it's rather brilliant in its way, and I love the lesson about two sides to every story. I'm rounding down from 3.5 stars because I wanted just a bit more, maybe more details in the pictures, maybe a second small story in the pictures that doesn't show in the text, maybe more characters, maybe foreshadowing. ...more
Laima
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this library book to little 5 year old Abby. I thought it was hilarious but she didn't like it. Some of the ideas were way beyond a young child's level of knowledge and the creepy carrots kind of creeped her out. I don't know, perhaps this may be a book better suited for young boys or girls who like scary stories.
Alex  Baugh
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: randomly-reading
Creepy Carrots by Arron Reynolds, illustrated by Peter Brown
I am a person who has always avoided carrots. Not because I didn't like them, but because they are orange. I refused to eat orange food as a kid and it just became a habit. Recently I have started to eat carrots and actually enjoy them. But not as much as Jasper Rabbit in Creepy Carrots. Japser loves carrots so much that everything he passes through Crackenhpper Field he helps himself to carrots - big fat, crisp, free for the taking
Krista
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
2019: re-read, we take this out and read it every year for Halloween! Review rating hasn't changed great book.

2017:This is the cutest book! About a rabbit that keeps eating carrots in a certain field. The carrots play a trick on the rabbit to get him to stop eating them. My kids loved this and laughed at the ending. A great read with some wonderful illustrations!
Jacqueline J
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a huge hit at storytime. The kids were riveted and even talked about it for a couple of weeks afterwards. This was a little bit scary and pretty funny. The images were vivid and easy to understand and fi the story very well. There was a great twist at the end that had everyone laughing.
Jasmine
REVENGE OF THE HARASSED CARROTS.

RABBITS BEWARE.
Edward Sullivan
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The ultimate rabbit nightmare! Great goofy fun.
Chance Lee
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Really cute book about childhood paranoia. A fun read.
Jillian
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Awesome creepy/thriller/Halloween book for kids! The story is clever, the illustration style is amazing, and even though I’ve read it 3 times in one sitting (my kids are obsessed) it doesn’t get old. Love this!
Yueun
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Dolly
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun, not-too-scary book for children. Jasper Rabbit sees creepy carrots everywhere he goes. Or does he? Is his imagination just running wild?

The narrative is slightly creepy, as Jasper goes through the tale in almost constantly fearful state. And the ending is quite humorous, although I thought it had a bit of a Twilight Zone kind of feel. The illustrations are very dramatic, black and white with bold orange colors on the carrots and the objects Jasper perceived as carrots.

Based on a
Sarah Jane
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: annabelle-read
This was sooo cute! An eerie tale about Jasper the rabbit and his favorite snack. I loved the pictures and so did my 2 year old daughter. I'm not sure of the moral as it kind of makes carrots look like they're not good to eat, but the story was still cute.
Jordan Molczyk
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Alright class, I know all of you have a favorite snack. Who would like to share?

Great answers! Those sound yummy!

Today we are going to read Creepy Carrots. In this story Jasper Rabbit finds something scary about his favorite snack! I would like you guys to pay attention to the pictures and see if you can spot any of those creepy carrots that are hiding in the shadows from Jasper.

*turns off lights*
I want you all to notice our illustrator did not use much color in his illustrations, did he? That
Erin
An absolute favorite. I love to use this for Halloween library lessons, the students create their own alliteration characters and write stories about them. Peter Brown's illustrations, a nod to old campy horror films and the twilight zone, add to the appeal of this book. (There are videos out there that share him talking about his inspiration.) Great ending! This book is fantastic.
Stacey Cross
As a story, Creepy Carrots, is nothing spectacular but as a picture book it is phenomenal. If it weren't for the incredible illustrations this book would not be one to review. The colorful, yet dark and eerie images add so much depth and creativity to the story. The illustrator uses only the colors gray, black, white and orange to create his images. He also uses a lot of shading and shadows to set a certain tone and mood to the story.

Jasper rabbit feels that he is being followed by a bunch of
Amy
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Good, non-scary "scary" book that is lots of fun to read. You can almost hear the Alfred Hitchcock creepy movie/Psycho music playing as Jasper is psychologically tormented by some creepy carrots. The black and white illustrations hearken back to the old b & w Hitchcock thrillers, and the sinister splashes of carrot orange on each page enhance the suspense.

My niece and I particularly liked Creepy Carrots, and she was cracking up at the clever ending. My nephew didn't quite get the twist
Robin
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Update: read this to kids during storytimes this week and it's a lot of fun! Not only for kids but their grown-ups appreciate it even more! One of the very fun parts of attending Book Expo America is getting books signed by authors. Since I adore children's books (good thing since I work in youth services at my library!) I kept an eye on the lines forming for picture book authors or illustrators. In this case I waited behind a half dozen folks for the illustrator of this neat little story. (Hope ...more
Jim Erekson
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
The gag ending also involves a rapid shift in perspective. A whole pile of hints were stacked up to convince me that the boy was hallucinating, but... Glad Reynolds didn't go that direction. Just because the kid [has the munchies and] is paranoid doesn't mean no carrots are out to get him [a Colorado reading].

It was nice to see someone using value in b/w as such a clear tool in the illustrations. Each page punctuates the black with some orange, which is an unusual choice and interesting to look
midnightfaerie
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
What a great book for Halloween! My whole family loved this one. My younger ones as well as my older son all enjoyed it. A top holiday book listed at the library I put a hold on it and just now got around to reading it. So glad I did. One of the preschoolers who likes books the least spent a good half an hour looking at this book after I got done reading it. I think the idea of scary carrots was really novel for them. highly recommended!
Mariah Roze
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this story to my students and they loved it. They found it funny and super creative. Also, they didn't expect the twist ending.

"Jasper Rabbit loves carrots—especially Crackenhopper Field carrots. He eats them on the way to school. He eats them going to Little League. He eats them walking home. Until the day the carrots start following him...or are they?"
Shanshad Whelan
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love it! The question is, do I introduce this delightfully spooky picture book to my son? He's currently very skeptical of eating anything veggie except carrots . . . and I'm not quite sure I want to risk it! Still a great Halloween read for the younger set.
Kendra
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really good. Really creepy. I too am occasionally haunted by the things I love most, so I related to this book quite a bit.
Bella Paglia
I like when the rabbit builds a fence around the carrots so they won't get out and the carrots are happy because the rabbit isen't eating the family so i like that they are both happy.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Incorrect ISBN 4 24 Jul 03, 2014 07:05PM
Children's and YA authors interested in reviews 1 16 Nov 02, 2013 10:06AM

• Bone Soup
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving
  • Blackout

Creepy Carrots (2 books)
  • Creepy Pair of Underwear!