Start by marking “Motherland” as Want to Read:
Motherland

Motherland

2.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,053 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
In her trademark blend of social satire and sexy drama, New York Times bestselling author Amy Sohn delivers a candid, unsentimental look at modern marriage.

With her trademark blend of “social satire, interpersonal drama, and urban glamour” (The New York Times), Amy Sohn delivers a candid, unsentimental look at modern marriage.

In her acclaimed novels, Amy Sohn has beguiled
Published August 14th 2012 by Simon & Schuster

Michelle
1.5 stars. This book is dreadful. I gave it an extra +0.5 because I managed to finish it and the writing was alright and not too cliché-ridden or cheesy, minus the part where a character “tucks away” information like a transvestite “tucks away his penis.” There was context there but still… are you kidding me?

This is told through multiple viewpoints of folks living in and around Park Slope, Brooklyn. In my estimation this is a satire, which is all well and good, who doesn’t love a satire? The pro
Judith Hannan
Sep 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
I think Motherland is supposed to be a social satire, but a satire without compassion is just mean and their is very little compassion in this story. Park Slope in Brooklyn is a newly refashioned neighborhooed of young families. It is these mothers, fathers, and children that Sohn targets. Unfortunately, not one person is likeable, not even the children, and they remain that way for most of the book. Even at the end, when Sohn places each of her characters in some form of resolution, it is as i ...more
Dana
Oct 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
I strongly disliked this novel and forced myself to finish it, hoping Ms. Sohn would redeem herself and turn the novel into something other than a deviant sexual odyssey acted out by a group of Park Slope (Brooklyn) yuppies. Everyone was cheating on everyone else, lying, deceiving, lusting after someone (and acting on those feelings) despite a perfectly good spouse or partner at home. Some characters were based on shallow Hollywood types, and were, thus, involved in a great deal of partying (i.e ...more
Melissa
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a difficult book to review...on the one hand, I could not put it down and found it very engaging. But at the same time, it completely depressed me. All these 'park slope' moms and families were so f'd up, I kept hoping that my friends and I wouldn't turn into them. I also felt like the author didn't really like her characters which is a really strange thing...definitely a good summer read but with summer ending, I'm not sure that I would recommend this book.
☮Karen
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I just won this from goodreads first reads (thank you very much!).

Did not think a book about New Yorkers, and particularly the stroller set, would capture my attention, but I ended up enjoying it pretty much. A bit much on the Semitic this, Semitic that, and the name dropping, which I usually don't mind but again, a bit much. A quick easy read.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Motherland is a follow up of sorts to Sohn's Prospect Park West, with a few of the characters reappearing in this satirical exploration of parenthood and relationships in upper class Brooklyn.

Half a dozen or more narratives intertwine to reveal a cluster of shallow, privileged men and women who parent only when it doesn't interfere with their latest affair, high or career goals. Actually that is probably a bit unfair, but it's hard to find sympathy for Sohn's characters who all want more, despit
Tracy
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
This novel is told in the alternating voices of 5 people in their 30s living in Park Slope. Their paths cross in interesting ways and seem to intersect more than you would think, but it's a book, so that wasn't a worry. What was a worry was all the weird sex, cheating, drugs, drinking and illegitimate parenting that made most of the characters unlikeable overall. While some of the stories were compelling at times and at other times boring, the novel was not completely un-readable, but it was jus ...more
Meryl
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This sequel to Prospect Park West started off interesting but grew tiring. All of the characters who headlined the chapters became involved in deceit and drama, but having so many interrupted perspectives slowed down the pace of the ones I was most interested in. There was a strange undertone that suggested that everyone feared anti-Semitism or hated Jews (I’ve never read the word Semitic so many times) but the secret to success was to act or look more Jewish. As a Brooklyn resident who is not a ...more
Charletta Carter-Brown
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it

Liked this sequel better than Prospect Park West. The characters seemed more relatable or likable. Not sure which. She still has some plot twists that gross me out but the story was more enjoyable than its predecessor.
Lauren
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Amy Sohn's fascinating, in-depth look at parenting in specific communities. I absolutely could not put this one down until I reached the very last page, and then I wished there was more! A great summer read!
Katie
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
Davida
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just as raunchy and soap-opera-esque as Prospect Park West, and highly enjoyable. I think Sohn's skill as an author is being able to tap into the zeitgeist of today's people in their 30s and 40s and she really gets into a diverse group of people: gay, Latino, male, female, Jewish, wasp, and presents from each of their points of view. Lots of pop culture, lots of cute references and just like before, some surprising twists and turns. I had a lot of fun with this book and it wasn't total fluff. I ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The book is well-written, and when I read that the author is also a screenwriter, I could see that in the book. It's feels like you are watching it while reading. And also, the book is so very New York. I had to dig deeper and the author actually lives in the area in the book. It feels real, like you are sitting there watching the Park Slope mums take over the neighborhood.

Anyway, on to the review. At first, all the Povs seemed daunting, but Sohn saved me by giving the chapters the title of the
Kara
Aug 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, read-2012
I would like to start this review by saying thank you to Goodreads for allowing giveaways, as I won this book from one of them. Also, they may wish they had picked someone else. Also, I am going to be really picky when choosing which giveaways to participate in from now on.

Anyway, I put this book down and am loathe to bring myself to pick it up again. So, I am giving up on it, which I don't like to do, but life is short and there are a ton of other books I'd rather be reading right now.

There we
Jenni
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
What to say about this book...it was a quick read, but it won't be for everyone. To me the book is like a mix of The Springer Show, Real Housewives of NY with a touch of any reality TV show thrown in. The characters are a little over the top and the author moves a little into the "EWWWW - really" territory.

Now having said all that if you like sneaking a peek into others lives and enjoy a dose of reality TV every now and then you may enjoy this book. I did get into it to the point of I wanted to
Staci
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Motherhood is a satirical novel regarding relationshps and people in and around Brooklyn New York. Not really my kind of book. That being said, the writing is done well in that I could picture the scenes in my mind as I was reading the text. It earns a 3 star from me.
My rating system is as follows:

5 stars - Excellent, Worth Every Penny, Made It Into My Personal Library!
4 stars - Great book, but not a classic.
3 stars - Good overall, generally well written.
2 stars - Would not recommend based on
Rieko
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Motherland but when I saw that Prospect Park West was the "prequel" to Motherland, I dropped Motherland to read PPW.
Sohn's books are amusing and strikes a chord with 40ish mothers, like me. I can't say I appreciate all the name or place dropping that she does, but it, at least makes for an interesting and funny read.

UPDATE: This book finished with a sequel in mind which i guess is okay. The characters were a little more likable in this book compared to PPW. If you had to choose
Bonnie G.
So.Much.Drama.
Srsly.

Anyway, it was a nice fast-paced summer read, it made me miss and not miss the east coast snobbery/fast paced way of life. Each chapter
Is stressful, filled with adultery, park slope weed, star-fuking, air place fingering, shrimping, Grindr, adoption, addiction, gentrification, and self-involvement. But I like the tone of hope, you do care for some of these characters, and you get invested in things ending well for them. It was a bit of a chore to read sometimes, she's a much
Melissa
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, best-of-2012
I can't believe I'm giving this trashy book five stars but I loved it! I was so excited when I heard there was going to be a sequel to Prospect Park West, which I also loved. No one makes fun of Brooklyn helicopter parents better than Amy Sohn. Everything turned out exactly the way I would have written it myself. I was especially happy with how things turned out or Karen who was actually my least favorite person in the first book. Can't wait for the next one!
Laura Hogensen
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Definitely engaging, but I kept getting the sense that she dislikes the place, and types of people she writes about, so much that she creates characters just to make them miserable. Not to say I didn't enjoy reading the book, but I definitely feel everyone involved was sufficiently punished by the end. A note: some of the characters in this novel also appear in her first novel. I'd start with that one.
Rebecca Soodak
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
MOTHERLAND satisfies on many levels—none sentimental. Fast-paced, witty and told in sentences that pack a punch, Sohn’s flawed characters are compelling. The unpredictable (and often un-pretty) sex scenes may shock some readers, but I appreciated the voyeuristic opportunity. More Coupleland (or Separateland) than the title would suggest, it was a welcome break from maudlin, neat tales similarly labeled.
Maria
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Some parts of it were really good. Some, not so much. Lots of couples becoming disillusioned with each other, annoyed by parenting, acting out in various ways, etc. There was a character who stole strollers, ostensibly for comic relief. It was like a Prospect Park West II in some ways, with some of the same characters. Overall though, I enjoyed Prospect Park West way more.
elizabeth
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
If Gossip Girl continued to season 20, it might look like this. Flashy fun NYC elite/hipster drama, now with marriages on the rocks and affluent ladies who are ho-hum about motherhood. More brand name dropping than I can usually stomach (usual tolerance 0%), but fun in the GG way of outlandishly OMG drama. Perfect for the beach.
Mom
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Name dropping is not enjoyable, paragraph after paragraph of celebrities that the characters knew or ran into. Too much trite detail. No real plot. "Superfun Brooklyn desperate Housewives," not even close. Made it to the end (by skipping a lot) hoping for some redemption in the book, but it never happened.
Jaimie Sassone
Feb 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book is one step up from awful. Most of the characters were deeply flawed and not in the likable way. The author seems to have a name dropping fetish which was inexplicably off-putting. I gave this book 1star because I wasn't quite annoyed enough to not finish it. So, there you go. Don't waste your time with this unless you enjoy books about unhappy, morally bankrupt urbanites.
Katelyn
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this peak into the relationships between different New York couples. It's a little depressing in that all of the couples fail, but it's always interesting to look at other people's lives, and Sohn's characters are realistically portrayed.
Nette
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Yup, this one was just as awful and fun-to-read as I had expected! Terrible rich people messing up their lives in so many delicious ways, ridiculous plot twists, and more name-dropping than an "Us" cover story. (Jon Hamm has a surprisingly large role. I wonder how he feels about that?)
Nancy
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Motherland was a fun vacation read. You really dislike all the characters (a lot) but at the same time it is well-written, flows easily and you just can't help but want to see how their lives unwind a little bit more on every page.
Michele
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Similar group of characters as in PPW. Still complaining. Very funny parts. Lots of First World problems. Stroller situation hysterical!
Amanda O'brien milleisen
Wow, these are some seriously self-absorbed characters who keep making the same bad choices over and over. Entertaining, but hard to connect to or really feel for the characters in this book...
  • The Lost Prince
  • Triburbia
  • Whiskey Island (Milan Jacovich #16)
  • 50 Ways to Play: BDSM for Nice People
  • Prepare
  • The Twilight Prisoner (Jack Perdu, #2)
  • Imperfect Spirituality: Extraordinary Enlightenment for Ordinary People
  • Suburgatory: Twisted Tales from Darkest Suburbia
  • Alias the Cat!
  • The Dragon in the Sea (Dragon Keepers #5)
  • Thomas Jefferson, Rachel & Me
  • Resurrection Express
  • What the Nanny Saw
  • Don't Die Under the Apple Tree
  • Heaven Should Fall
  • Ruins
  • HeartStone (Dolvia Saga #2)
  • The Catholic Bible Concordance for the Revised Standard Version
Amy Sohn is the author of the upcoming novel The Actress, which will be published by Simon & Schuster in July 2014. Her other novels are Motherland, Prospect Park West, My Old Man, and Run Catch Kiss. She has been a columnist at New York magazine, New York Press, the New York Post and Grazia (UK). She has also written for The New York Times, The Nation, and Harper's Bazaar. She has written pil ...more
More about Amy Sohn

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99