Start by marking “Paleoista: Gain Energy, Get Lean, and Feel Fabulous With the Diet You Were Born to Eat” as Want to Read:

2.91  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
THE PALEO DIET grows out of the belief that we were intended to eat off the land: what walks on it, grows from it, or swims in its waters. It’s about sticking to the kind of foods that human beings were born to ingest (fresh fruits and vegetables, seafood, lean meats, and natural fats), and excluding those that were developed later (grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Paleoista, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paleoista

Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Despite being recently published, this book perpetuates some dietary myths that have been repeatedly disproved - fat is bad (she is still advocating lean meats and lower fat overall), ketosis is dangerous (wrong - that is *ketoacidosis* which is not the same thing, despite the similarity of the words), low carb eating is dangerous and unpleasant, the ideal paleo diet is 40% protein 30% fat 30% carbs (nope - that diet has already been written. It's called the Zone and there is nothing ideal about ...more
Joooordan! !!!
Aug 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm fairly embarrassed to put this book on my e-shelf. I'm only rating it here to clarify how much I absolutely did not enjoy it, despite going into the book with an expectation of loving it.

Stephenson's writing style works better on a blog, as her advice tends to repeat throughout 3/4 of her book. The introductory chapters work well for an overview of the Paleo diet, but her insistence on losing weight and constantly reworded and vague promises of "feeling fabulous" left me with the impression
Tressa
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I enjoy reading books on whole food eating, but this one just didn't work for me. From the too-tall unrealistic female image on the cover to the somewhat condescending, overbearing writing style and advice, this book kind of annoyed me. And there's a lot of information about marathons and running included, so perhaps someone interested in these things would get more out of this book.

Like some other reviewers mentioned, they don't like diets that cut out all of one food group, nor do I. This boo
stephanie
not as good as mark sisson's books because he doesn't expect you to be fabulous and perfect. he's just a bit more realistic, in my opinion!

there are other little things that annoyed me, but I'll try to not be such a jerk.
Amber
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-loan
I don't have weight or digestive problems, so I read books like this one purely out of curiosity. I found this to be a very quick and easy read. It was interesting to learn the philosophy behind this eating style. There seemed to be a lot of sound nutritional information, and it is much less extreme than some of the eating styles that have gained in popularity recently (i.e. Atkins or vegan diets). That said, I personally don't care for any nutritional philosophy which advocates that the average ...more
Anna Blaine
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
If I'd realized this was the co-author of the Paleo Diet Cookbook, I wouldn't have read it. Those recipes were so blechhy they almost scared me off the diet that cured my IBS and acne. The ones here are also sound pretty unappetizing.

Also, why does anything that targets women do so by throwing in references to shopping and Martha Stewart? Yeah, b----es be shoppin' and craftin'!

Two stars for the discussion of paleo diet and endurance training.
Amy
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Good, but not the best paleo book out there. In fact, I can think of at least 5 paleo/primal books I'd recommend ahead of this one. Also not especially applicable to me as I do include some dairy in my diet and am not an elite athlete, or even a wannabe elite athlete . . . I'll be happy to run a 5k, do the splits again and play on the women's rec hockey team.
LM
Nov 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I think this failed in its attempt to be a girlfriend's guide, by not making Paleo eating look attractive, and including very little science or basic reasoning behind the food choices.
Amber
Jul 01, 2013 added it
Good book for someone who is just starting out on Paleo, or is just curious about Paleo (like myself). Contained some good, basic information but unless you are just starting out, I don't know that you would glean much from this book. The author is obviously quite fond of The Paleo Diet Cookbook by Dr. Loren Cordain and references this book many times. I have not read that book so I can't comment there. She also seems to be a big fan of French cuisine, which is not something I personally prefer. ...more
Crys
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh... Honestly, if you removed any material from this book that was repeated more than once it would be a much shorter read. A good book for anyone who knows nothing about Paleo and enjoys the sassy "Skinny Bitch" style of writing. It's not as much fun as SB, but there is a lot less guilt and the author is very up front about the challenges and benefits of going paleo. The Skinny Bitch book makes no mention of the fact that it is a vegan diet book until you are a few chapters in... Even the bac ...more
Meredith Hull
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not entirely sure why other people disliked this. Perhaps most likely is the fact that they're too lazy to commit and are searching for counter claims for self-justification. This makes tons of biological and nutritional sense and the tips geared towards women makes it easier to implement. Do we all need to be as anal retentive starting out, is it ok to have some cheese or vinegar or peanuts now and then? Probably. But is it ok to make a habit out of these foods, probably not. I truly apprec ...more
Abby
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I picked up this book because I saw the author on Dr. Oz and liked the recipes she featured. I found the tone of the book to be condescending. We are not girl friends, I don’t share her enthusiasm for shopping and I am not a Prada kind of gal. I felt like the majority of the information could be found online for free. However what I did like was the information on kitchen gadgets, cooking terms, meal ideas and recipes.
Francesca
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
More than a diet plan; a life changing commitment to eating unprocessed, off-the-hoof and from-the-garden foods. She makes an eye-opening case for staying away from processed foods with lengthy and unpronounceable ingredients. These nasty chemicals can contribute to disease in both body and mind. The paleo regimen is a bit too intense for me, but I do plan to steer clear of anything labeled "diet" and start reading the contents of what goes in my mouth!
Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Paleo diet is a pretty hot topic right now. And rightfully so, as many people have reversed autoimmune conditions or lessened symptoms of them. The author does include really easy and good recipes. But they only thing that annoyed me is how she kept selling the diet as "hip and sexy." I felt that a bit patronizing. I am not sure the paleo diet is 100% for me but those that have found success on it, this a good book to borrow from the library.
Missy  Miller
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I was so fascinated to see how this book would sell Paleo.
Because that is what it is - really.
Marketing the Paleo diet to an audience that I think is ripe and eager for the next "diet trend"
This book is picks up where "Skinny Bitch" left off.
I do think the author was right in noticing the stereotype of "paleo" as being "caveman" and a diet for man who are marrow and raw meat and bringing it into a more palatable lifestyle.
ANYWAY - Paleo = NO PEANUT BUTTER.
That's just...no.
Marena VanOrden
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative and entertaining

This book reminds me of "French Women Don't Get Fat", but in a more modern style, and the solutions proposed are much more relatable to the chaotic American lifestyle. Definitely a good read for the aspiring Paleoista- which I believe we should all strive to be. As a very busy, active, health-conscious female, this book was all I needed to commit to giving the Paleoista lifestyle a go :)
Sophie Jeffery
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it

This was a really informative book, but I kinda wish I had bought it six months ago. I already knew a lot of the information Nell presented. It's a good book for someone completely new to the paleo lifestyle though, for sure! And the recipes at the end sound delicious. Can't wait to try some out!
Hana Curry
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: health-paleo
I enjoyed this book because it gave tips in organizing your time so that you're not having to cook every night. It gave a realistic approach to the paleo lifestyle as well as some great recipes (larabars especially!). I didn't like how the recipes didn't have pictures. I also skipped over the blurbs of real life stories about people who were trying paleo.
Rachel Maxwell
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
It's ok. I liked the first half where she went into a lot of explanation about what paleo is and I loved reading the first hand accounts. The second half was really boring. Definition of braising and what chopping actually meant. Plus the recipes were dull, but the first half was really informative.
Spook Harrison
May 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-physical
Really, not my cup of tea. Going into it I was thinking it'd be about the Paleo diet, but breezier, and it really was more of a fluff-book with little to no scientific information. I may read the books recommended, but for me it wasn't a good use of my time.
Michelle Jennings
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is definitely geared more for athletic women rather than a 300lb woman who is trying to loose weight. There are some good recipes and advice, but I didn't really feel like I could relate at all.
Mary
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. I didn't like the authors style very much and think there are other, friendlier introductions to paleo. I did like the profiles of her clients successes but other than that this is a pass.
Rebecca Cunningham
Sep 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
As terrible as you might expect at first glance. Eating paleo seems to make sense, but I'm embarrassed to say I read this book through. Much more thorough books exist which outline the paleo diet in ways relevant to the lifestyle of a relatively normal human being.
Barbara
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written book including the reasons to go "Paleo". I found it very convincing as it seems to be a way to improve several health concerns. The recipes and menu plan look very do-able and delicious. I don't think you will feel deprived on this way of eating.
Emily Henry
Feb 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
The author wrote with a little too much diva for my taste. The book was a vague introduction to paleo. The recipes look great though!
Deborah
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Well written though i think not a lifestyle for me
Nancy
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some good insights but it seems really preachy. Definitely not one of my favorite "paleo" books out there.
Nathalie Paul
Nov 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
not up to date. there are better books about the paleo diet. boring.
Mary
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Great overview of eating Paleo, I just knew most of the principles, so I didn't really learn too much information that was new. But good book for anyone wanting to learn more about paleo.
S
Aug 11, 2014 added it
Shelves: 2014, nutrition
Good book, full of a lot of helpful tips and tidbits. The recipes in the back were good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Suicide by Sugar: A Startling Look at Our #1 National Addiction
  • The Poem's Heartbeat: A Manual of Prosody, Revised Edition
  • Writing the Life Poetic: An Invitation to Read & Write Poetry
  • WordPress: The Missing Manual
  • Paleo For Beginners: A 14-Day Paleo Diet Plan For A Simple Start To The Paleo Diet (Paleo, Paleo diet, Paleo for beginners, Paleo cookbook, Paleo recipes, ... cooker, Paleo breakfast, Paleo lunch, Diet)
  • 20 Years Younger: Look Younger, Feel Younger, Be Younger!
  • Kitchen Gypsy: Recipes and Stories from a Lifelong Romance with Food (Sunset)
  • The Write-Brain Workbook
  • Cavewomen Don't Get Fat: The Paleo Chic Diet for Rapid Results
  • Eating for Life: Your Guide to Great Health, Fat Loss and Increased Energy!
  • 40 Top Paleo Recipes: Quick and Easy Paleo Diet Recipes for Weight Loss and Optimum Health
  • By Invitation Only: How We Built Gilt and Changed the Way Millions Shop
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • The Strength Training Anatomy Workout
  • The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • People's Pops: 55 Recipes for Ice Pops, Shave Ice, and Boozy Pops from Brooklyn's Coolest Pop Shop
  • The Sisters: Babe Mortimer Paley, Betsy Roosevelt Whitney, Minnie Astor Fosburgh: The Lives and Times of the Fabulous Cushing Sisters