Start by marking “Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger” as Want to Read:
Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger

Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger

He’s a smart little mother******,I’ll give him that.—KEITH RICHARDS on MICK JAGGER

IS he Jumpin’ Jack Flash? A Street Fighting Man? A Man of W
Published July 10th 2012 by Gallery Books (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mick

Mark Hahn
Aug 15, 2012 Mark Hahn rated it liked it
Perhaps a little too much focus on Mick's attempt to bed every living human being regardless of gender. I wish it would have spent a little more time on the music and his collaboration with Keith Richards. As earlier mentioned, a little tabloid-esque. Richard's "Life" is a much better read.
Carolyn
Jul 11, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
This resembles a tabloid story, which makes it an easy read and entertaining, if shocking. Anderson seems to have done his homework with much research and interviews.: Oh Mick, You have been a very naughty boy!
It chronicles a life of sex, drugs and (not so much) rock and roll.It spans from childhood to the formation of the Rolling Stones to the present 50th anniversary of the founding of the band.
We have heard of some of the 4000+ women and a few of the men Mick has been involved wi
Stuart
Jun 26, 2012 Stuart rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
A somewhat tabloid-esque bio of Mick Jagger. Written as if it were destined for the News of the World. At every turn, the bleakness of bad things is exaggerated, the number and variety of partners is emphasized, Jagger's reported sycophancy for the upper classes is dragged out . The continual translation of British terms to American is intrusive. The music is de-emphasized. Sex and drugs and rock and roll, without the latter. Definitely not in the same league as the Keith Richards autobiography ...more
Marti
This book promised to be "jam packed with juiciness" and it certainly was that. I know a lot more than the average person about the Stones and their early career so there was not much here that I didn't already know. However, there was one particularly vivid description of the violence at Altamont owing to the fact that the author was there covering the event for Time Magazine.

What I was less familiar with were the post 1982 years where Mick, trying to initiate a solo career, morphed into a habi
Paulisded
Aug 19, 2012 Paulisded rated it did not like it
When I picked up this title, I knew it would be a gossip-y read that was light on the music and heavy on the scandal. However, I wasn't prepared for the tabloid-quality level of "facts" peppered throughout the text. Author Christopher Anderson may be the ONLY person left in the world who believes the infamous "Mars Bar" story regarding Marianne Faithfull when the Stones were busted in 1967, and this book is full of this type of speculation and quarter-truths.
Kathryn
Jun 02, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I picked up my copy of Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Mick Jagger, I hadn't realized that I had read a previous work by the author. Christopher Andersen appears to have made quite a living with biographies of political figures and select celebrities. This, in fact, is not his first book about Jagger, and since I have not read Jagger Unauthorized I cannot reveal whether or not Mick is a dressed-up revision of the former. I'm willing to bet not - though as I read the Goodreads summary ...more
Yvonne
Aug 28, 2012 Yvonne rated it it was ok
Mick Jagger is surely the King of Rock., There can be some debate about that, but he certainly is royalty. And apparently has always aspired to get up close and personal with royalty. I think we all know by now that Mick is quite a status snob.
I love the Stones as a band. Individually not so much. Perhaps Charlie Watts is a guy I would like to have a conversation with, but Mick or Keith, not really.
However, their music is so much a part of the musical theme of my life, it's danceable, memorable
Ken
Nov 22, 2012 Ken rated it it was ok
This is actually a followup to Andersen's 1993 biography of Mick Jagger called, JAGGER UNAUTHORIZED. After reading Keith Richard's delightful autobiography, LIFE, this new book about 'the other Glimmer Twin' is a real letdown. It is as if he cobbled together a bunch of tabloid articles about Mick Jagger, stitched them together, and failed to add any insight whatsoever. And, most of the 'facts' aren't really corroborated, so they are merely opinions of what other people (and many with numerous ax ...more
Cindy Knoke
Jul 18, 2012 Cindy Knoke rated it liked it
Here is how I would summarize this book:

Mick’s reported narcissism can be hard to take if you are around him much i.e., if you are one of his many intimate partners, family, friend, band member, or if you read a long book about him.

You won’t learn anything new about Mick in this book. Especially since all the juicy excerpts were published extensively in the media as teasers. It is a fun, inconsequential book, none the less.

It is very similar to all of Andersen’s books in terms of scope and dept
Staszek
Dec 26, 2012 Staszek rated it did not like it
So you can actually be more vainglorious. Interesting...

This is my second biography, first on a musician, and I now wonder what good a third read would be on someone not that famous. I admit, the large portion of excitement was caused by the back-cover annotation about his ca. 4k mistresses, but the story is actually very boring and more of a deterrent. To myself, I guess. Not that I was a star or anything..

Not recommending this one. It feels that if you are a Rolling Stones fan, you may lose t
Maggie
Dec 31, 2016 Maggie rated it really liked it
If you go into this book expecting it to focus on the music or creative process of the Rolling Stones, you'll be disappointed. While those elements are part of the narrative, the focus is much more Mick Jagger's life, especially his love life and sexual escapades with over 4000 women and men over the years (no, that number isn't a typo). This book is sex, drugs, and rock and roll at its best--in that order. Rumors of the Stones' debauchery weren't exaggerations! The pacing drags in places in the ...more
Bessie James
Oct 10, 2012 Bessie James rated it it was ok
As my DH likes to say, "oof". This is a fair-to-midling trash read. The author specializes in quick biographies. Nothing is substantianted by Mick Jagger. There is the random quote but nothing directly by the author from Jagger. The title suggests that you're going to find out about the mad genius of Jagger but there is precious little about what makes him great. I'm a big Mick fan and I'm willing to give him a fair amount of latitude on some of his strange behavior, but this guy really wants to ...more
Carole Yeaman
Knew next to nothing about this "icon". The fact that he went to the London School of Economics I thought might bring up SOMETHING interesting about him. Alas, no. He doesn't seem to even have funnelled a bit of his billions into charitable projects. Ugh - what a superjerk! Detailed account of Altamonte - Wow!
I do realize that this was simply a cut & paste from tabloids so-called "book" - but nevertheless.
This summer's heat is obviously baking my brain to spend time finishing this book.
Ian
Jul 21, 2012 Ian rated it it was ok
Another collection of stories cobbled together from various sources and timed for the 50th anniversary. There is nothing much new for a Rolling Stones fan in this book. It all seems a bit exaggerated and speculative, with the negatives to the forefront and the music basically forgotten about.

There are better books on the subject out there, written by people who actually have a personal connection to the Rolling Stones.
Bob Schnell
As enjoyable as this book was to read, it really is more of a tell-all, gossipy expose than a serious music biography. Granted, many people are interested in such a book, especially after what Keith Richards wrote in his autobiography, but that doesn't mean it belongs on the same shelf as "Life". In many ways it parallels Arianna Huffington's biography of Pablo Picasso, only Mick's cast-off women don't seem to hate him as much. And only Keith gets to call Mick an a**hole.
Elinor Hurst
Readable and entertaining, although I'm not a Stones fan. Mick Jagger does not come out of this version of his life very well - vain, mean, ruthless, money hungry, bisexual, a voracious user of drugs and relentlessly promiscuous. But he is evidently a fascinating character and a charismatic performer.
Alex Robinson
Aug 07, 2013 Alex Robinson rated it it was ok
Shelves: music, bio
Seemed way more interested in his sexual escapades--or "sexcapades" as I call them--than anything to do with the actual music he created. For instance, the book devotes maybe half a page to the recording of EXILE ON MAIN STREET but goes into great detail about various celebrities he partied with and/or screwed and the soap opera-esque spouse-swapping.
Charles
Aug 28, 2012 Charles rated it it was ok
Not much -- an interesting, superficial overview, well researched apparently, of Mick's philandering, and breeding practices -- but having read Keith Richard's A Life, I found this one to be very superficial as far as ANY references to the creative process goes. One major eye-opener: the total sluttiness of Carla Bruni! No wonder Sarkozy was so jealous!
Liza Greenwood
Sep 10, 2012 Liza Greenwood rated it liked it

Keith Richards and his authorized story, Life, are much more riveting. Don't be put off by the size of that book--it's WAY better. It has more detail, it has more voice, and it seems more real.
Gord
Mar 02, 2013 Gord rated it it was ok
Just another account of the misbehaving,arrogant ,famous control freak.
He has slept with over 4000 women - I can understand a fling with Bowie l . . But Eric Clapton??? C'mon give me a break . . . Always wondered how he earned the nickname "slow hand" . . . Now I think I know
Mk100
Sep 09, 2012 Mk100 rated it did not like it
Warmed over trash. You'd do as well to read a collection of People magazine articles over the years as spend your money on this book. Yet, it is true, I read the entire book, because depravity, character defects and raw genius are a heady mix.
Marybeth
Aug 08, 2012 Marybeth rated it it was ok
what a busy guy he is. The tales are redundant. Interesting take on Altamont, but other than that nothing new.
Peter Burton
Jan 08, 2017 Peter Burton rated it liked it
Too much emphasis on his life and loves.Interesting on Brian Jones and his death and his early life.
Rita Chaney
Feb 18, 2017 Rita Chaney rated it it was amazing
Salacious. Scandalous. Juicy. Everything you may have ever thought about Mick Jagger is true or so it seems upon finishing Christopher Andersen's biography, Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Mick Jagger. Sexy, talented, finance-oriented, and narcissistic are descriptive of Mick and you'll discover other facts about him, the man and the musician. The book definitely reveals some things Mick has done that I'm not a fan of and he's has clearly struggled with a personal "issue" or two. That said ...more
Milena
Jun 26, 2015 Milena rated it really liked it
Секс, наркотици и рокендрол, или да надникнеш в биографията на Мик Джагър

Да, знам, заглавието е клише, но „какво е клишето, ако не една по-скучна версия на истината“, както казва писателят Етгар Керет. :) Пък и това за истината си важи с пълна сила в случая с Jagger swagger (Наперения Джагър).

Винаги съм се чудела какво ли е да си рок звезда. Сега, ако дойде някоя вълшебна фея, предлагайки ми да се разменя с някой известен музикант за един ден, то почти сигурно ще избера да съм точно рок звезда о
Luvelle Raevan
Apr 20, 2014 Luvelle Raevan rated it did not like it
Almost one year after I bought this book from Chapters/Indigo website...I'm done. Finished the book and done with Christopher Andersen also. This is the first book by Christopher Andersen which I've read ...and the last. People, don't waste even a dollar at a used bookstore, or even if the book is free - don't bother to pick it up. I found it so difficult to get through this horrendous, mean spirited, ugly book. In the meantime, I've read a few other books on various subjects by other authors.

Yo
Sheila
Sep 29, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it
Warning to all Jagger groupies: you're just another Lady Jane to him. And if you don't know what that means, you'll just have to read this book. As one model-girlfriend is quoted as saying "Mick is incapable of being faithful." I could say REALLY? But that would beg the question of his entire life. Christopher Andersen's credentials of contributing editor of Time, senior editor of People, and writer for The New York Times, Life, and Vanity Fair is gives him the ability to pull all the loose end ...more
Ivan Bogdanov
Feb 11, 2016 Ivan Bogdanov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Всички познаваме Мик Джагър - фронтменът на Ролинг Стоунс. Група с над 50 години на сцената.
Преди да започна тази книга, аз познаваха само дивия певец със странните движения, непорасналото момче, композиторът.
Бях слушал с часове песните му, бях чувал за лудия му сексуален живот (честно казано не очаквах, че е чак толкова луд) включваш жени от ранга на сестрата на кралицата, Джаки Кенеди, всички известни певици и актриси, както и разни непълнолетни групарки, които могат да му бъдат внучки (Бритн
RNOCEAN
Jul 21, 2012 RNOCEAN rated it it was amazing
"#1 bestselling biographer Christopher Andersen provides this no-holds-barred biography as shocking and uncompromising as Mick Jagger himself, timed to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones and their world tour.Mick Jagger is one of the dominant cultural figures of our time—swaggering, strutting, sinister, and mesmerizing—yet he has vowed never to write his own life story. Now, Christopher Andersen provides an explosive, compelling, and definitive biography for Stones fans of ...more
McKell
May 15, 2015 McKell rated it really liked it
This book was an interesting one, that's for sure.
As I was exploring the book store, I saw the picture of Mick Jagger on the front cover and excitedly grabbed it up. I fell in love with the Rolling Stones about a year ago, and I wanted to know even more about the lead singer and his life. I figured I was getting myself into a heck of a ride by choosing this book, but I couldn't resist.
I was right. It WAS crazy. It was pretty good, though. It was very detailed and insightful. I was somewhat surp
  • The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records
  • This Music Leaves Stains: The Complete Story of the Misfits
  • J Dilla's Donuts
  • Syd Barrett: A Very Irregular Head
  • Exile on Main St.: A Season in Hell with the Rolling Stones
  • Deconstructing Sammy: Music, Money, Madness, and the Mob
  • It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
  • A Mad Dash (Introspective Exhortations and Geographical Considerations 2008)
  • Pet Sounds
  • Trout Mask Replica
  • Bringing Metal to the Children: The Complete Berserker's Guide to World Tour Domination
  • Revolution in the Air: The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973
  • Respect Yourself: Stax Records and the Soul Explosion
  • Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces
  • Dream on: Livin' on the Edge With Steven Tyler and Aerosmith
  • Murmur
  • Captain Beefheart: The Biography
  • Ascension: John Coltrane And His Quest

Christopher Peter Andersen is an American journalist and the author of 32 books, including many bestsellers. A graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, Andersen joined the staff of Time Magazine as a contributing editor in 1969. From 1974 to 1986 Andersen was senior editor of Time Incorporated's P
More about Christopher Andersen...