Start by marking “Vincent” as Want to Read:
Vincent

Vincent

Ein alter, todkranker Mann: Foster Lipowitz hat ein Medienimperium geschaffen, den Markt mit sinnfreien Popsongs, miesen Filmen und zynischen Fernsehserien überschwemmt – und damit ein Vermögen verdient. Er bereut, was er der Kultur angetan hat, und will am Ende seines Lebens der Menschheit etwas Gutes tun. Ein Plan: In den Kornfeldern des Mittleren Westens gründet ...more
Published 2005 by Diogenes (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Vincent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vincent

Start your review of Vincent
Erin
May 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tortured artists and those what torture them
Shelves: noveltease
It would do my heart good to believe that Conor Oberst's manager dumps bleach into his fishtank and routinely sabotages his romantic relationships. If he isn't already, he could learn a thing or two from precocious novelist Joey Goebel's second book. Does great art come from deep and ongoing unhappiness? Do you think your childhood pets died by accident? Really?
belle
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People full of irony.
My top favourite book to date.

The torture, the pain, the grief of Vincent. It all fits. It's me through and through and I love the style of the writing. I can identify myself within it. I've read this book so many times I know it by heart.

Dariana
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an impressive book. i enjoyed it a lot!!

it's a warning book.

the author is right about the media in our days and maybe he is right about the future of it.
Andreea
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It really made me wonder whether anyone would choose to live in pain for the sake of creation. Few people are willing to sacrifice a happy/normal life for the greater good, for enhancing the cultural heritage of humanity. How much suffering can someone stand? Why do people need to suffer in order to create something extraordinary? Maybe because there is a price for everything.
Jacky
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing

THIS WAS ENTERTAINING AND FUNNY AND LOVELY AND I WANT TO GIVE HARLAN AND VINCENT A BIG HUG OK
Arminzerella
Jessica
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a book! The premise got me to read it, the writing kept me reading it, and the layers upon layers of story and commentary will keep me thinking about it for a while after I've finished.

This book started off well, though it wasn't a page turner until about half-way through. By that time, I honestly couldn't put it down. It wasn't really that I was in love with the characters (though I can't say I wasn't delighted when they were happy and miserable when they weren't), it wasn't really
Kirao
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-loved-ones
i was so ready to love the book. after the sparklingly brilliant Anomalies I was prepared to love a n y t h i n g by Joey Goebel.

...and the first half of the book held the promise - intriguing and touching, sparkled with clever runts about the state of entertainment industry - only to turn into a real disappointment later on. Everything felt flat and pointless - vincent's life, a never-explained transformative power of harlan's wife (what was so special about her apart of her appearance? we
Debbie
Apr 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had an interesting plan to force the masses to start taking in quasi-intelligent entertainment. First, find gifted children, then raise them in an environment to hone their talents. Then, for the particularly gifted ones; give them a manager who has a dual purpose of making sure they go through hell. You know, for creative purposes. Then, give the writer anonymity and sell the quality work to companies that will ensure the awful mainstream actors and singers receive them and put the ...more
Ana
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ana by: brandusa
NOTE : see the complete review and more on http://cocainepages.wordpress.com

This has been a wonderful read! The story is fantastic and the writing is superb, really flowing into the reader's heart. I think it had been the fact that the book is so true, that I came to love it.
Art is indeed born out of suffering, and this writer spared nothing to show us that.
I loved Vincent's character, I found very intricate and interesting - one of the best characters I know!
Sonic
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fricken' masterpiece!
First of all the premise is absolutely brilliant,
and a little twisted, ...
but the writing is so flipping funny while being truthful and deep at the same time, it's just perfect .

This guy reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut Jr.in the above mentioned sense,
but also the story came in these short sections, each time ending on something funny, that propels one further into the book wanting to see where it goes,...

This is highly recommended!
Krista
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of my top 10 favorite books of all time!
Isabel
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Joey Goebel is in my eyes an underrated author.
More people should read his books.
He is brilliant!
Jason Jordan
Mar 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of Goebel's latest venture is inherently strange. Torture the Artist (MacAdam/Cage, 2004) follows "the age-old idea that true art can only result from suffering. When experimental Hollywood organization New Renaissance hires ex-musician Harlan Eiffler to secretly torture its most promising prodigy, Vincent Spinetti, Vincent endures depression, unrequited love, and illness, all for the sake of producing great art." The preceding quotation was lifted from the back of the book and ...more
Teisha
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book on Sunday, and I could not put it down.
I think it is a record for me, as I read it in
a day and a half. It's not a super long novel, but it generally takes me a few weeks. Anyway, the book was extremely interesting. It made some valid points about the state of the entertainment industry. And how it is basically a piece of crap. It also asks the question, do you really have to suffer in order to be a great artist? A huge corporation decides it wants to change the state of the
Taylor
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. I've only recently come to know Joey'S work, and this was by far the best. Easily the best and most engaging work I've read this year. Eternally grateful to the friend who reccomend this as I could not have asked for a better story and expected the same top notch writing. Definitely a book I see myself revisiting multiple times. It was, to paraphrase (quote?), said friend "perfect."
Michael Wayne Hampton
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: fiction
Wonderful book by Joey Goebel. Compelling story of what happens when a powerful entity decides to impose grief and disappointment on a promising young prodigy in hopes of creating the world's greatest artist.
Kimberly
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept. Great book
Rachel P
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story but disliked a good deal of the writing style. Also hated all the pop culture refrences. The book isn't very old and it's already sounding dated, shame.
Rae
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as "Torture the Artist".

Joey Goebel has one of the most readable voices that I've had the pleasure to discover. His prose is compelling, entertaining, moreish and, at times, poignant.

Torture the Artist, or Vincent, is about a super-secret corporate project to keep a talented kid producing great art by making him miserable. Part of the New Renaissance project, a scheme to encourage youngsters to bring worthwhile material into the entertainment industry, Harlan Eiffler - possible sociopath -
Erin
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I refuse to say much about this one. It's so well written that the author is now among my favorites. I've heard he's writing more soon, and I'm eagerly awaiting his next work. This is, at least to my knowledge, an original idea, written in a wholly original voice.

Do yourself a favor and check it out.
Buddy Scalera
Powerful, dark, and creative. It's hard to categorize this book, so I'm just putting it into dark fiction. This is my first book by this author and I was impressed by the pacing, prose, and voice in this story. It takes a lot of unexpected turns, but all of it makes sense and works. Highly recommended.
Wolkenwellen
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it from the first sentence. Such a witty and clever book.
Céline
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
vincent and harlan eiffler are a match made in heaven. here i said it.
Stéphanie
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read, interesting characters, some good cliffhangers as well.
Gözde Türker
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
i want Vincent for myself...
Julien Lejeune
The idea is good but it's a critic of a society which is already passed. Some of the references look very early 2000 and will probably be obscure to most readers in 10 years. The final is becoming cliché and there is not enough focus on the characters. The artist itself doesn't seem very tortured and while the whole book is an agreable read it never really make you ponder about life, society, art or yourself.
There is a sort failure of the author to even understand what makes art or what being
Jackie Watts
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a world where celebrity sells and artistry counts for nothing, “TV has little value outside of being something you can make fun of when you’re bored” and “all anyone cares about is fucking and shopping” (and where every blockbuster movie trailer begins with the words “In a world where...” before things start to explode) a terminally ill media magnate sets up an education project run by an obscure new company The New Renaissance. Its aim is to encourage the creation of art and, of course, ...more
Sandra Frey
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5, really. A good, solid idea with some uneven execution. I enjoyed all the characters and their conversations. My main complaint was that the principal concept at work--the degradation of the culture--was overstated through multiple instances of speech-making by characters. These were disruptive and repetitive in service of a premise that, while creatively applied in this story, does not require that much dissection to understand. It felt a bit like the author was enjoying the opportunity to ...more
Maria Koul
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, wakes up people about the contemporary way of entertainment and how hollow it is. A blend of emotions,tragicness,tortment,suffering and dissatisfaction. Nothing happy about this book, everything makes you feel compassion about the protagonist, and hatred for the "New Renaissance" corporation. The ending offers to the reader the pleasure of seeing everyone to the place they belong to, and it's, in a way, poetic as well. Gemstone!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fast Genial
  • Herkunft
  • Spinner
  • Stella
  • Was man von hier aus sehen kann
  • Kurt
  • Der Sprung
  • Corpus Delicti. Ein Prozess
  • Schuld
  • Vom Ende der Einsamkeit
“You know, there is only one letter's difference between lonely and lovely," I told him once when he was down. "There is only one letter's difference between loner and loser," he retorted.” 12 likes
“Ich weiß nicht, ob die verdummte Unterhaltung nach und nach dem kollektiven Intellekt unserer Nation geschadet hat oder ob die geistige Faulheit des Publikums zuerst da war und wir sie nur bedient haben.” 5 likes