Start by marking “War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)” as Want to Read:
War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)

War Maid's Choice (War God #4)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,825 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
In Wind Rider’s Oath, Bahzell became a wind rider -- the first hradani wind rider in history. And, even if Bahzell is the War God’s champion, because the wind riders are the elite of the elite among the Sothoii, Bahzell’s ascension is as likely to stir resentment as respect. What’s more, Baron Tellian’s daughter, the heir to the realm, seems to be thinking that he is the o ...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Baen (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about War Maid's Choice, please sign up.
Roger Sedai I'm a-thinking that you can...however, without certain knowledge of how everyone in the story got to be where they are...it would not be fair to you!…moreI'm a-thinking that you can...however, without certain knowledge of how everyone in the story got to be where they are...it would not be fair to you! This is a GREAT series. I am reading/listening to "The Wind Rider's Oath" at present, and I know that without having read "Oath of Swords" and "The War God's Own" I would not be enjoying this nearly as much. "War Maid's Choice is the FOURTH book in this series...I would HIGHLY recommend that you read all of them! :-)(less)

Jacob Proffitt
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So here's the thing, I love David Weber's War God series. I reread all three books every year or so, even though I know that, objectively, they're not really that well written. I like the idealized fight between good and evil and that Bahzell kicks butt for justice while bantering with his friends. It's total wish-fulfillment fantasy but it just happens to be my favorite wish.

I noticed in the last book, Wind Rider's Oath, that some of my least-favorite of Weber's weaknesses seemed to be growing.
Mike Briggs
David Weber is a frustrating author for me to read. He has developed over the years a need to bloat, to pad, to use a thousand words to describe something when ten would. Or, if it was there in the beginning of his writing career, I over looked it when I first started reading him long long ago.

Somewhere in the reading of his books I think to myself, no more, never again will I read him. He has slowly driven me from his series. I've read my last Honor Harrington book - holding out longer than man
Jeremy Preacher
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
(This is a review of the ARC. Spoilers to follow.)

War Maid's Choice was... fine, I suppose. It does a lot of things that Wind Rider's Oath did, and in much the same ways. The one really notable thing it did was widen the scope of the series - we've gotten mutterings that something is going down, but now we get to see some pretty broad hints as to what it actually is.

My main problem is, of course, that the hints are so broad, and so obvious, that they're almost insulting. And what they're hinting
Tina
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
The worst installment of what so far has been a pleasant series.

Truthfuly, the first book was the best and each succeeding book was a little less better. But none of them was this problematic. I found myself skimming whole chapters to get past some of the wordiness.

- Too long, or rather, too much 'inner thought' information from every single character as they ruminate over their plans and the personality of every single other character.

- Insta romance between Leanna and Bahzell that apparently
Jeffrey
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
Weber's bloated War Maid’s Choice, the latest novel in his Oath of Swords series, is another bad addition to his oeuvre. Oath of Swords, which I recommend, was great light fantasy. Nothing too complicated. Great character, great concept. Each book in this series has gotten progressively worse as Weber has taken the simple fantasy action more seriously.

War Maid’s Choice has the makings of a decent story about vengeful evil gods and even a romance, but in order to find it, you will need to wade th
Beth
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: re-reading
Gah -- can't wait for the next book in the series. Cannot believe we still haven't learned why Brandark has been added to the 'must die' list. :p
James Ellis
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
If I could, I'd give this book two ratings. The first two-thirds would rate a 1/5, whilst the final battle sequence(s), filling the final third of the book would get a 4/5.

I'm not sure whether it is a matter that David Weber's bad habits as a writer have worsened over the years, or whether my tolerance for them has diminished, but I think this book was the final straw for me. Whilst he is still capable of writing gripping action scenes and creating characters that you care about, by now the bagg
Amber
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book is not one that can be read out of order. Some series you can get away with that, this would not be one of that type. I love Weber, but I can see where some would not like his verboseness. I would say that if you have read his scifi and didn't like it, you might still want to give his fantasy a try.
I rated this book as high as I did because I have been waiting and waiting for my OTP to finally get together. If I weren't as invested in the pairing I probably would have knocked a star o
Will
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, fantasy
Much better than the 3rd book in the series. Actually has some action in the first third of this book. Although I gave it 4 stars, it is more 3 1/2. The action was much better this book than last, but the continued complexity of explaining all of the different plot possibilities over and over versus letting the story play out was a bit much. And the lead character is slowly becoming less and less of the focus. I want the first book again!
Barry
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it

Overall good book but tough, slow read at the beginning. Slow because of myriad political and social machinations. Last part of book usual Weber bang up terrific battle scenes.
Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, fantasy, 2017
While this book, unlike the others in the series, seemed at times to drag on, the last half made it all worthwhile. I look forward to another, and another in the series! 7/28/17 reread.
Michael
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book in the War God series by David Weber. In this one Bahzell gets married! He marries Leeana Hanathafressa, who is a human, a War Maid and finally the disgraced daughter of one of the Sothoii's most important Baron's. Needless to say this doesn't sit well with a great many people. Add in three devils who have been summoned to kill Bahzell and the usual infighting among the Sothoii and this book is complex, action packed and a great read. It is a great addition to this series ...more
Saumya
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I loved this series, past tense. I absolutely hated reading this book - bloated, terrible prose, ridiculous plot lines. All of it combined to make one of my worst reading experiences ever. I hope Weber never comes out with another book in this series and just allows it to fade away.
I
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Romberger
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another excellent story in this series. The characters are well developed and personable, there is plenty of action, and Weber finishes the story while leaving open the overall arc for more. I am looking forward to the next book.
Annette
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I plodded through this just to finish the series. Mind-numbingly boring for the first 200+ pages as character after character is introduced and political or wizardly plot after plot is described in excruciating detail, moderately livable for the next 200 as a few of the plots start to possibly move a little (but at the same time you've forgotten 3/4 of the names and places), and finally a little action in the last 150. In other words, classic Weber!
Sure, the climax was decent and the wrap of mod
Rena McGee
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
War Maid’s Choice takes place a few years after the events of Wind Rider’s Oath. It is slightly better than Wind Rider’s Oath, but that is not saying very much. We open with an introduction of the Dark Gods as characters instead of as offstage menaces. (It is the kind of “villain discussion” that is actually better suited to a science fiction setting instead of a fantasy one. De-mystified gods are generally boring gods.) The Dark Gods are apparently not very happy with the way their stooges kee ...more
Jkweld
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I thoroughly enjoy the War God series, and Weber was obviously thrilled to be back with some old and beloved characters again.

Unfortunately, he was more interested in the lives and patterns of old than he was in telling a new story. There were no surprises in this book, far too much foreshadowing and a lot of missed opportunities to develop and bring to the forefront some previously background characters.

The first two books progressed, advancing the story and expanding the world while ratcheting
QS
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This book. Oh my god, this book. I didn't hate it. I want to get that out of the way right now, because I promise I didn't. There are good things to say about it! I'm just not going to say them.

Because where the HELL is Kaeritha throughout this entire monstrosity? Why build up her relationship with Bahzell so strongly in the last book only to drop her so completely in this book that we have literally no idea what she's doing or where she is? And what is up with Stormy switching hands? Weber, bel
pauliree
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this book earlier in the year and am now cleaning up my Goodreads shelves having finally finished my course. I am finding it hard to even remember this book and the reviews of other readers only vaguely reminds me of what went on in this book. I can't say that for the previous three so the only thing I can think of is that this one did not live up to the promise of the first ones.

Again Bahzell has to fight racism, again he is the steady bastion against the dark gods, again he and Brandark
Sheri Nanny
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another David Weber, with lots of discussion of strategy based on details of weapons and situational placements of troops. However, he did not get too carried away where I had to finally skip ahead a few pages to get back to the plot like I did in the Honor Harrington series(though I read every one). Once I got over, again, the extremely long names that were a little too similar to each other and could chop them into recognizable names, I really like this book. I have read several of the previou ...more
Sue
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
I enjoyed the previous books, there is great humour and good action in them, so was really looking forward to catching up with the characters.
I was disappointed in this book, the characters we've grown to love were almost cameos in the story (I think Brandark got 2-3 appearances), Wencit appeared went 'boo' and disappeared as quickly.
There was far too much politics in the book, to the disadvantage of the story, every noble man and minor character seemed to be up to some plotting and we had to si
Jennavier
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I should say in advance that I love this series. So no matter how this books turned out, I was at least going to like it. Barring a black hole where everyone dies that is. That being said, I still loved it. The beginning was dragging and confusing. The first seven chapters had seven different narrators, one of which wouldn't come up again so there was really no point. Weber spent way too much time giving us all the back story of the last few books, even stuff we could have done without. Once he ...more
Liviu
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best Bazhell by far and finally a "real" ie great Weber fantasy novel as i have been accustomed in most all his sf. Will have a full rv closer to pub date in July, and I will just note that I finally became interested in Bazhell, Leanna, Brandark and Wencit's adventures. All the trademark stuff of DW is present for once (the scheming villains, nefarious plots, heroes trying to save the day in the last minute, brutal battles with lots of casualties including of main characters...) and the pre ...more
Heather
The War God series has been so much fun to read. And this latest installment, War Maid’s Choice, is great. Weber has continued to do an excellent job of introducing new characters, as well as growing the old ones. Bazhell Bahnakson is strong and humble at the same time. He is a very quiet, unassuming hero. In addition to rooting out and fighting evil, he manages to find true love as well. The expansion of the War Maid’s in the storyline is a great addition. They are a force that adds great depth ...more
Chris
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I felt like I was being baited when the book started with poisonous green lightning on an endless plain. Weber toned it down but even the crazy evil gods acknowledge fairness in their fights. I wish I could say this was Weber flushing it all out in a low-value venue, but I know his other books are going to be just as noble/mushy/ennobling as always. The heroes are all mighty, large, noble, and fearless.

The dumb bad guys somehow don't know they're the bad guys, even when they are plotting treason
Brad
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I've read all the previous books in this series within the previous 6 months to reading this and still couldn't keep track of all the characters that would pop in and out of the story. This made the extremely boring first half of this book almost unbearable. The action sequences later in the book were good but they seem to just kind of happen despite the hundreds of pages leading up to them. The amount of direct influence the gods can and can't have is problematic. More so, this theme of limited ...more
Noel
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Jeffrey
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Getting annoyed that only the last 100 pages or so of David Weber's books engage this reader. This reader has read most of what Weber has written in English. This reader reads them as they are released and this series hasn't had a book in a while. So while the author makes no attempt to give the reader a recap, the author keeps referring to events in the past books and this is frustrating, to put it mildly.
This book ends with just enough of a tease to make sure that when the next book comes out,
Wildrose VuVu Magoo
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this book. It was a good, light read. David Weber's books are always engaging. However... I had a few issues. I was really hoping the main enemy diety would have more interesting minions, minions the good side could respect. Instead, we get more mindless evil. Leaving that aside, I was severely disappointed by what happened to some of the other bad guys. Maybe it's just me, but I get fond of recurring villains. I am sad when they're snuffed out so quickly. I'll keep reading the books bec ...more
  • 1636: The Saxon Uprising (Assiti Shards, #12)
  • Eye of the Storm (Hedren War, #1)
  • Skirmishes (Diving Universe, #4)
  • Echoes of Betrayal (Paladin's Legacy, #3)
  • Scholar (Imager Portfolio, #4)
  • Coup d'Etat (The War That Came Early, #4)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • The Fire Opal (Lost Continent, #4)
  • The Chrome Borne (SERRAted Edge, #1&4)
  • City of Night (The House War, #2)
  • Digital Knight
  • Investments (Dread Empire's Fall #3.5)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber

War God (5 books)
  • Oath of Swords (War God, #1)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • The Sword of the South (War God, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“It’s much more comfortable to cling to your bigotry than it is to admit you’ve been wrong to feel it in the first place,” 1 likes