Start by marking “Deck the Halls - Movie Tie-In” as Want to Read:
Deck the Halls - Movie Tie-In
Preview

Deck the Halls - Movie Tie-In (Regan Reilly Mystery)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  5,889 ratings  ·  206 reviews
Mary Higgins Clark, the “Queen of Suspense,” and her daughter, bestselling author Carol Higgins Clark, joined forces for the first time to create an exciting and entertaining suspense novel—the story of a kidnapping played out against a holiday setting.

Published November 29th 2011 by Pocket Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Deck the Halls - Movie Tie-In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deck the Halls - Movie Tie-In

Crystal Starr Light
I have enjoyed Mary Higgins Clark's other books and with Christmas just around the corner, this seemed to be a good pick.

Plot:
Regan Reilly, a private investigator in California, is the daughter of funeral director, Luke Reilly, and famous mystery writer, Nora Reilly. Alvirah Meehan, an amateur detective, was a former cleaning lady and a winner of the lottery. When someone looking for 1 million dollars decides to kidnap Luke and his chauffeur, Rosita, these two women must brace the impending wind
Ryan G
What goes together better than Christmas and a well written mystery? I for one sure do, it combines two of my loves in life and I couldn't be happier that there are wonderful authors out there catering to that love. Now I've never read a book by either Mary Higgins Clark or her daughter Carol Higgins Clark before, so I feel a little bad for starting with them on this book. I feel like I skipped from 8th grade graduation straight to high school graduation.

The book itself is pretty simple, two ama
Heather
Nov 27, 2008 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Melissa
Shelves: holiday
Quick read, straight to the point, but very witty. This is a kidnapping tale, which I don't read very often. Completley different from my usual 'whodunnits', nice change of pace. I read this in one day, I just had time to read and it wasn't a long book. The story captured my interest quickly, I kept reading to see what would happen, and it was resolved reasonably. Overall, a good read!
Pr Latta
When TNT did a series of mystery movies based directly on books, I tried to read them. I knew I wasn't fond of the Regan Reilly series (too inane even for me) but I have enjoyed Carol's early books. Suffice it to say, the made for TV movie was better than the book. It has a Lexile of 740, which is a 3rd-6th grade difficulty and the sentence structure and plot correlates.
Ashley
Oh, ya know. Not bad, not necessarily fabulous. It was okay and a fine enough light mystery read. It's always nice when the super rich and very classy couple with the super smart and gorgeous fab private detective have things work out for them.
Pat
Three days before Christmas, Regan Reilly, the dynamic young sleuth featured in the novels of Carol Higgins Clark, accidentally meets Alvirah Meehan, Mary Higgins Clark's famous lottery winner and amateur detective, at a New Jersey dentist's office. That's where it all begins.

While Regan's mother, Nora, the famous mystery writer, is in the hospital with a broken leg, her husband, Luke, and his chauffeur, Rosita, are kidnapped and held for a million-dollar ransom. Together, Regan and Alvirah tra
Gail
I really liked this book. Funny and fast paced reading. The 2 kidnappers were so fuunny. A couple of bumbling idiots. Mother and daughter did a great job of writing together.
Christyn
Deck the Halls was better than some of the other books in the series but it still wasn't mind-blowing. I think it's because of the mindset I tend to go into when I read mysteries - I want it to be an actual mystery for the reader (and the character). This series is done in a rather different way than I am typically used to - that is there isn't any mystery on the reader's part (because we already know - or can figure out - the major things) - but the characters have to figure it out on their own ...more
Kellie
This wasn't bad. I am not a particular fan of Mary Higgens Clark and have never read Carol. I enjoyed this. It was a quick mystery with suspense, mystery and romance. From Amazon.com-Three days before Christmas, Luke Reilly, who owns a string of funeral homes, and his young female driver, Rosita Gonzalez, are kidnapped for ransom. Luke is the husband of Nora Regan Reilly, a bestselling mystery writer based somewhat on Mary Higgins Clark; both are parents to Regan Reilly, Carol Higgins Clark's se ...more
Julie
The danger , for me, in reading the same author or same genre or series too close together is that I tend to get bored with the same characters etc. I am afraid that happened here with this book. I read The Christmas Thief just a few weeks ago and I maybe should have waited a little while longer before I read this one.
The premise is that Nora had tripped on a rug and broke her leg, landing her in the hospital. While recovering, Luke plans to attend a funeral and his driver , Rosita, picks him u
Jen Mays
'Tis the season for greedy relatives and extortion, at least in the Clark heroes world! When investigator Regan Reilly's father is kidnapped and a ransom demand issued, amateur detective Alvirah Meehan joins up to help solve the crime and save the day. They have to race against time and the weather, though, because Christmas is coming and along with it, a fierce winter storm that threatens to eliminate all possible rescue.

This is the first of what was to become a holiday series of the Clark moth
J. Ewbank
Mary and Carol have teamed up to give us a wonderful story about Christmas and a kidnapping. I guess that some teams do not work but this one certainly does as the caracters are well developed and the plot is interesting.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Pam Chaffin
I love MHC, and I loved the idea of a mother/daughter collaboration. I also thought having some of their characters meet and end up joining forces in this collaborative effort another clever idea. Though reviews have been mixed, I enjoyed this Mother/Daughter Holiday novel, and plan to explore their other joint works.
MissSusie
I have read all the other Christmas mysteries this mother daughter team has written and thought I had read this one since it is the first but I hadn't. So this is the first meeting of Alvirah (Mary Higgins Clark’s lottery winner turned amateur sleuth) and Regan Reilly (Carol Higgins Clark's PI from her books). This is a cozy Christmas mystery that I enjoyed maybe not as much as the future books they would write together but it was good none the less.

The characters are fun especially Alvirah, she
Deane
This is a very light read....funny, easy to read, with a hint of romance for Regan Reilly....just right for this time of year when my mind gets so busy with 'things that must be done'. More like a novella than a novel so characters were not well developed.
Carol Stowe
The writer's husband, a funeral home owner, is abducted along with his limo driver. Will the writer get her husband back? Who will stay with the limo driver's children while she is being held? Find out if the ending is happy or not. An easy read, good for the holiday season.
Dale Safford
The number of characters is just right for this kidnapping suspense story. The Christmas setting doesn't much apply, but adds a sweet feeling to what you hope will be a good outcome.

With her mother in the hospital from having broken her leg when she slipped on a rug that was a gift, Regan Reilly is horrified when her funeral home director father and his female driver are kidnapped. They are taken to a boat in the Hudson River and chained up, with a storm brewing and endangering the leaky old boa
Angie
To be honest I'm teetering between one and two stars. I settled on two because I didn't hate it and it did keep my attention enough to finish it, but honestly it was just mildly entertaining at best. If this is typical Mary Higgins Clark style writing I'll pass on reading any of her other titles.

I thought the characters were each either flat and boring or over-the-top caricature. The story was silly and predictable. The interactions and various scenarios were totally unbelievable. It was just k
LuAnn
Winter is the best time to curl up with a good book. Add a cup of hot cocoa or tea, along with your favorite blanket or robe, and you’ve got the makings for a relaxing evening. And if that book is by one of these authors – or one of their collaborations – all the better!
In Deck the Halls, the two ladies concoct a story of a holiday kidnapping of the main character’s father and his driver. Just the notion that these two would be taken is absurd, but someone sees the advantage of using them to gai
Noemia
Este livro é uma obra conjunta de Mary Higgins Clark e de sua filha Carol Higgins Clark. Nele as autoras juntam pela primeira vez as suas famosas detectives Alvirah Meehan a mulher da limpeza de sessenta anos criada por Mary e que vencedora da lotaria é transformada em detective amadora, e a inteligente jovem detective Regan Reilly filha de uma famosa escritora de livros de mistério e protagonista dos romances de Carol. Duas autoras que desconhecia, já que é um género que não costumo escolher pa ...more
Kristen
Get into the holiday spirit early! If you missed the TV movie version on TNT a few years ago, relive the collaboration of Mary Higgins Clark's Alvirah Meehan, and her daughter's, Carol Higgins Clark, Regan Reilly, in Deck the Halls. The two inspiring female leads meet up for the first time in this ongoing Christmas mystery series. A few days before Christmas, Regan Reilly met Alvirah Meehan, famous lotto winner and amateur sleuth, in a dentist's office in New Jersey. Regan's mother Nora was in t ...more
Joseph Van Duren
For anyone looking to find a really fun, engaging, and, most of all, a clean uplifting mystery novel, this is the book for you. I really enjoyed trying to piece together the next steps in the series of events that would lead to possible solutions. It was exciting to see the big picture and see things that the characters could not. Sometimes you just wanted to grab and shake a character to get them back on to the right trail. They were constantly going after the wrong clues and coming to the wron ...more
Sara ♥
It wasn't too bad. The story was just a fun little mystery. I never really worried about the kidnappees' safety or anything. I knew everything would turn out okay. It was a Christmas story, after all. That, and it's Mary Higgins Clark!

I don't think I like Mary Higgins Clark's writing style as much as I used to. She uses a lot of REALLY LONG sentences... I know that sounds stupid, but it was just really wordy. The English language has sooooo many words that are very very near synonyms, but have v
Jessica
It was a good story, but sort of spoiled it that we knew who the kidnapper was from the beginning. But I still enjoyed trying to see whether they would find the victims in time.
Ashley
If I didn't have my phone in one hand and a copy of the book in the other, I would be hard pressed to tell you what this book was about other than it is a Christmas mash-up from the mother-daughter efforts of the Higgins-Clark team.
I'm really not a big fan of Christmas-themed novels and I like Carol Higgins-Clark's writing less than most. But I have read most of Mary H. Clarks books and enjoy her writing, at least while the book is in my hand.
Yet another, happy ending book regardless of the obst
Teresa B
Aug 06, 2010 Teresa B rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regan Reilly fans, mystery fans
Shelves: mystery
This was another quick, often humorous Christmas mystery by the daughter-mother team of Mary and Carol Higgins Clark. I enjoy the ongoing development of the Regan Reilly p.i. character, with her mystery writer mother and funeral parlor director father. You would not have to be familiar with the other Regan Reilly books to enjoy this self-contained mystery thriller, but if you are a fan it is best to read them in sequential order.

So far, I have been impressed by the "clean" aspects of the Regan R
Jill
I picked up this book in the library's free bin - a thin red Christmasy-looking hardcover with no jacket that would look nice on a holiday hall table and possibly be a light, fun read. It was just that - some of the characters were endearing - such as the budding interest between Jack and Regan, but the over-the-top contrast between the shrewd, bitter antagonist and his goofy sidekick (think Earl's brother Randy from My Name is Earl) was downright silly. A harmless book, fine for quick reading d ...more
Alvera
A brain candy cane, I suppose. An enjoyable read -- witty, light-hearted, and romantic for a kidnapping story. Just enough suspense to fit the mystery genre, not enough to particularly intrigue me.
Joan
Very simple kidnap story. Ok for short easy holiday read but not great
Ruth
This was an okay read.....not enough action for me & no "hot" romance of course. The mystery itself was simply about locating 2 abducted people....I found myself wanting to scream back at this book a couple of times....going...they're right over there...or you're so close...or you're barking up the wrong tree. The story moved along a little more than slow paced (about fair) & just wasn't mysterious enough for me to be a real mystery. It was written well enough to deserve a 3 star which r ...more
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • The Christmas Box
  • A Christmas Secret (Christmas Stories, #4)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...

Regan Reilly Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)
  • Snagged (Regan Reilly Mystery, #2)
  • Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3)
  • Twanged (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #4)
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Jinxed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #6)
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery, #8)
  • Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9)
  • Laced (Regan Reilly Mystery, #10)
Where Are the Children? Loves Music, Loves to Dance Two Little Girls in Blue All Around the Town While My Pretty One Sleeps