Start by marking “The Yoga Club” as Want to Read:
The Yoga Club

The Yoga Club

Chatting it up with bendy WASPs is the last thing on Coco Guthrie’s mind during her 8:30 a.m. yoga class. Having made her fortune as the world-renowned inventor of Butt-B-Gone derriere cream, Coco still doesn’t feel like she belongs among the upper class— until she attends the swankiest Halloween soiree in Greenwich, Connecticut, where three of her fellow morning yogis sha ...more
Published December 20th 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Yoga Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yoga Club

Cheryl
Jan 07, 2012 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Coco Guthrie is the owner of Butt B Gone. It is as you can guess from the name a butt cream for ridding you of your junk in the trunk. Coco is talked into attending a Halloween costume party. She goes as Sarah Palin. It seems that Coco was not the only one who decided to dress as Sarah. She is met face to face with three other Sarah’s. The others just so happen to attend the same yoga class that Coco does. They form a friendship. Coco and the other Sarahs decide to go over next store to the mayo ...more
Kathie
Mar 23, 2017 Kathie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't waste your time. It's rare that I don't want to finish a book but I stuck it out until the end and wish I hadn't. Vapid characters and story that could have been told in 150 fewer pages. I bought the book because I love yoga. Yoga takes a back seat in this story.
Lydia Laceby
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

The Yoga Club is a who-done-it type read, except we know straight away who did it. There is a bit of mystery surrounding how the foursome will react and go about sleuthing and their adventure in doing so. Unfortunately this novel didn’t retain much as must interest for me as I had hoped and I found it confusing at times.

I had a difficult time believing the newfound relationship between this foursome. They met at a Halloween party because they were dressed the
Nancy
Dec 08, 2011 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I hate writing a negative review. Fortunately, Cooper Lawrence already has a lucrative career as a celebrity reporter and radio show host.

Although the title indicates Yoga is a big part of the story, it is not. The story and conflict is weak and doesn't drive the story. Character development is shallow and stereotypical. The basis of the story is that Coco Guthrie, a successful marketer of her slimming cream, Butt B Gone, finds herself at a costume party dressed as Sarah Palin. Then she fi
Mary Gramlich
Dec 06, 2011 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE YOGA CLUB by Cooper Lawrence
12/11 - Gallery Books – Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Is it possible to have too many friends?

Coco, Bailey, Olivia, and CJ met by coincidence and became friends by choice. A poor costume design and overly curious nature has them witnessing a murder and subsequently getting blackmailed to keep it quiet. Someone with power knows how to use their secrets against them to make the whole incident go away. These four may be home based in Greenwich but could not be more
ILoveBooks
Dec 07, 2011 ILoveBooks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

This book is a good read for readers who find it hard to enjoy hardcore mysteries. The plot line was fairly interesting, a little hard to get into, but overall fine. The events were fairly fast-paced, they depended a lot on the dialogue to drive the story. The dialogue was one of the best parts. The author does a good job of engaging the reader through the characters, the gossip is juicy and the stories the characters have to tell are "pinky promise" worthy.

There were four main characters. each
Melissa ♥ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf
I really enjoyed this highly entertaining lighthearted read. Cooper Lawrence strikes just the right balance between chick lit and cozy mystery while having a great deal of fun. All of the characters are larger than life versions of themselves…caricatures if you will… which I assume is Cooper’s point. We can poke fun at them while still being able to relate to them which I found to be a great feat. I enjoyed getting to know each one as the storyline unraveled.

And I will warn you that the plot do
Mary (BookHounds)
Jan 03, 2012 Mary (BookHounds) rated it really liked it
MY THOUGHTS

LOVED IT

Coco made her money through a cellulite cream, Bailey is a celebrity reporter and sees quite a bit of action, Olivia is a shy geek and CJ is not quite out of the closet. The group meet at Yoga and become fast friends all deciding to go as Sarah Palin for the Halloween soiree in their Connecticut town. So when they get to the mayor's house and find him in kinky attire and rolling up a body in a carpet, I guess you could say things get strange. Now the group is being threatened
William Bentrim
The Yoga Club by Cooper Lawrence

Four costumed Sarah Palins bond when faced with adversity after witnessing a heinous crime.

Ms. Lawrence background and exposure shows in this book. The characters, their behavior and the setting are so far beyond the bulk of the population that is smacks of fantasy or Science Fiction.

The plot and the characters could be lifted from practically any supermarket tabloid. The sad thing is that due to the antics of the wealthy and famous it is hard to not take the pl
Lorri
Feb 05, 2012 Lorri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, light-hearted book that you will be able to finish in no time. Once you start reading, you won't want to put it down until you find out what happens anyway! The four Palins show up at a Halloween party and decide to go next door to see an art piece at the Mayor's house. While there, they look in his window and see him dressed in leather and his tighty whities leaning over a young woman who isn't moving.

The next day they think it was all a dream and have nothing to worry about, but
Vanessa Booke
The Yoga Club by Cooper Lawrence was not like anything that I was expecting. I struggled through the entire reading process and found myself repeatedly bored with the storyline. The characters were flat and extremely superficial. What bothered me most about this book is that the characters were stereotypical, they had no depth at all. I honestly felt no connection to the story, Lawrence's characters or the situations they found themselves in. Overall, The Yoga Club was not my cup of tea. I would ...more
Leanne Hastings
Dec 28, 2011 Leanne Hastings rated it it was amazing
I bought this book on an impulse and didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I thought the dialogue was funny and quick, plus it reminded me of Sex and The City (which I love!) I was immediately drawn in by the characters and had fun getting to know them and following their stories.

I didn’t care as much about the murder mystery aspect of it because the four friends were so enjoyable to spend time with. Their lives felt real to me and I was eager to see where it all ended up.

I was thoroughly
Heather
Feb 08, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice break in the middle of the Steve Jobs biography. At a Halloween party, four people (from 8:30 yoga class) come dressed as Sarah Palin, then wander next door to peek at a statue in the backyard of the mayor's house. They witness the mayor dressed in leather and he seems to be rolling up a woman in a rug. He spies them, but they run, and try to decide if they should call the police. The next morning, a photo from them at the party runs in the local newspaper with their real names. ...more
Jen
Feb 06, 2014 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with much of this book, able to read only one chapter at a time for much of it. I thought the concept was cute when I picked it up, but it sort of felt like one of those made-for-TV movies starring nobody recognizable that you stop on, and then just keep watching because there's nothing else to watch/do.

I really appreciated how it ended, though. I didn't see that little twist coming and thought it brilliant! I think Olivia was my favorite of the "Sarah Palins", and I loved the echola
Sissy BP
Oct 05, 2016 Sissy BP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it first came out and I liked it, but didn't think it was spectacular so I gave it a 3-star rating. I decided to re-read it today since the story begins at a Halloween party and I love reading Halloween themed-mysteries during the month of October. This time I really enjoyed it; therefore, I am increasing my rating to 4-stars. It's a quick read and a really fun book with interesting characters.
Marquina
Oct 16, 2011 Marquina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I suppose I should have expected it, but the book reads like it's ready to be made into a made-for-TV movie. The characters are more interesting than other books of this genre, such as Chasing Harry Winston - I didn't care about the characters in that book whatsoever, but this fluffy murder mystery is entirely mild and without a single heart-pounding moment. The Hollywood ending is entirely predictable.
Victoria
Aug 06, 2016 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I paid $2 for this book and that is too much. I should have read the about the author blurb at the bottom back cover. The book is full of celebrity and designer names that I don't know and they distracted me from the plot. The characters are flat, we all knew who Bailey was going to end up with and the jumping POV within the same page was startling. The book came off to me as shallow and snobby like most of the characters.
Rachel Feldman
Mar 30, 2012 Rachel Feldman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fun the idea of a plot, and the characters seemed unique for the first chapter. But, it is horrifically vapid. Terrible writing, ridiculous name and event dropping. Annoying, even for a chick lit book. I doubt this novel would have been published if the author wasn't in the entertainment industry. Lawrence should stay with what she knows, which is not fiction writing.
Sharon
Jan 02, 2016 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what one would expect from a yoga club. No Namaste in this novel. Debut novel that does show a lot of innocence in her writing. Entertaining mystery slash romantic suspense. When four people meet and find out they have a yoga class in common they think how nice. Then a when they decide to snoop at the most eccentric home in Greenwich, things get interesting.
Julie
Mar 17, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then you just want a mindless fluff book. This is definitely that. It tried a little too hard to be racy. It wasn't a mystery, as much as a girlfriend book. It was fun, it was fluff. A beach book.
Amanda
Jan 20, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Book #10 of 2012

This was another of my "just picked it up at the bookstore" books. It sounded like a cute and funny book. Instead, I found it terribly inconsistent, swinging between self-centeredness one minute and strangely deep introspection the next. Not my cup of tea at all.
Cyndi
Nov 01, 2014 Cyndi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible!
Autumn
Jan 03, 2012 Autumn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't my kind of mystery. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like it, just not me. There were some really funny bits in it though.
Martha
Oct 11, 2012 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's ok...not something I would buy but a nice change.
Angelica Taggart
This is definitely a light read ... a totally different genre for me, a chick mystery I suppose. Very shallow but fun. I laughed out loud a few times :)
T.
Sep 03, 2012 T. rated it really liked it
This was really good. This book isn't really about yoga. It's about friendship.
Melissa
Easy read but not much about yoga so I was unsure of why it was called yoga club. They all go to yoga but very little yoga discussed more about celebrities.
casey
Jan 23, 2012 casey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, not something I would normal read but not bad. I will see what else this author writes about.
Daniel
Jan 10, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read if you enjoy this kind of humor.
Cheryl
May 27, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Character CJ brings this up a star; very little yoga
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Downward Dog, Upward Fog
  • Yoga School Dropout
  • Escucha Means Listen
  • Head Over Heels: A Novel
  • Downward Dog
  • First There is a Mountain: A Yoga Romance
  • Devil's Wake (Devil's Wake, #1)
  • Stuck in Downward Dog: A Novel
  • Breathe
  • Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)
  • Fear and Yoga in New Jersey
  • The Boy Who Shoots Crows
  • The Evelyn Project
  • There goes the Bride
  • Oh So Brave Dragon
  • The Yoga Mamas
  • Fake Perfect Me
  • I Am So the Boss of You: An 8-Step Guide to Giving Your Family the "Business"