Start by marking “13 Ghosts: Strange But True Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
13 Ghosts: Strange But True Ghost Stories

13 Ghosts: Strange But True Ghost Stories

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
"It was true: he didn't believe in ghosts. Still, he knew what he had seen."

Again and again the evidence in these haunting tales points to the same conclusion. Examine for yourself accounts of eerie phenomena such as: the man who had a premonition of his own death, the ghost who solved a murder, the revenge of the murderer's skull, the lieutenant who flew back from the, an
Published October 1st 1988 by Scholastic (first published 1988)

Melissa (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
This book was a nice, quick read. I've always loved ghost stories, and whilst these stories are supposedly true, I still take the "truth" with a grain of salt. A few quick Google searches did bring up some of these stories, which surprised me, considering the age of the book and the limited availability (if any) of internet resources. If I can take anything away from reading this, it's appreciation for old school pre-digital research.
Naveen N. Bhat
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read this back in high school. Love narrating those stories to kids now. Spooky!
Kerra
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good! Even though I finished it in two hours. It was still a very good book and somewhat edjucational. I liked that it really did seem real and at times made you think if things of that nature are actually possible. However, I really don't honestly know if this book is actually a real non-fiction book or not because I didn't do any research on it. If it is true I could almost believe it because most of the stories that were aclaimed to be true happened in the 1800's and earl ...more
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
13 Ghosts delivered on what it promised to be - it was a collection of thirteen "true" ghost stories.

All of the stories in the book were older than I was expecting them to be. Most of them were stories that were originally recorded back in the 1700 - 1800s. As I learned from Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, hauntings were as popular back then as they are today, and people went through great lengths to fake paranormal phenomena.

The stories are introduced with scenes from
Eden
If you don't believe in ghosts, maybe these stories will change your mind. At least, that is what it says on the cover.

These stories are fascinating and for some, they may be unbelievable. But I believe these true stories are very interesting reads. Some of the stories in the book are well known stories, such as the one about the Brown Lady and there are a few of the other stories I had already read in another ghost book. However, it did not bother me to read them again. Mr. Osborne is quite a g
a-maze
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Its a nice short book about 13 ghost stories, that the author describes as "based on true events". I choose to believe him, and that makes the whole experience more enjoyable. Its easy and entertaining, very good if you are a "public transportation reader", and you like a short read while going to work or coming back home!
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
i love ghost stories but i dont believe that they do actually exist
i enjoyed reading it but sorry Will Osborne what ever evidence you give it is hopeless for me to believe but i have to admit the first story of Lord Carnarvon made me wonder for 15 min !

Esteban
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a short book, I neither believe nor don't believe in ghosts, never had to decide upon the matter really, but this I can say about it: These stories, read on the dead of night, with everything silent and still made me break out in goosebumps in several occasions."
Spencerharte27
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I love all the stories. I like to read books with things that sound very fictional and probably are, but are still interesting. It did a great job at presenting that.
Merc
Dec 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: the-pits
I finished it because it was short. The stories ranged from "meh" to "ugh". Most were in the "meh" category though on occasion it got ridiculous.
Adam Lozano
May 29, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 13-ghosts
This is bullsh*t. It's not letting me read this!
Natalie
Eh, I don't need to give Sam a book that's trying to convince her ghosts are real :-)
Alyssa McCloskey
not that scary
Desley (Cat fosterer)
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Well, this started off with a tale I had read when I was young and never come across before, so that was a good start. Nice mix of stories, some I knew, some I didn't.
Erin
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
I love ghost stories but these were not too exciting.
Stephen Snyder
One of my favorite paranormal books. A most read for those who wish to explore the unexplained.
Linda
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book.
Asma  StylesHoranMalikPayneTomlinsonCrepeauGaliciaMango
Good not that scary
Tatra
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Interesting set of ghost stories.
Jody
Feb 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope, book-riot-2015
Terrible. I love a good ghost story. These were not good. At all. Dull, with no atmosphere and not even mildly chilling.
ZB
May 23, 2011
Sami Fulciniti
rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2014
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • The Haunting of America: From the Salem Witch Trials to Harry Houdini
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Don't Call Them Ghosts: The Spirit Children of Fontaine Manse
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • A History of Ghosts: The True Story of S�ances, Mediums, Ghosts, and Ghostbusters
  • The Ghost Hunter: Chilling Tales of Real Life Hauntings
  • Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories
  • What If God Were the Sun?
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Not Quite Burned Out, But Crispy Around the Edges: Inspiration, Laughter, and Encouragement for Teachers
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - The Special Edition
  • Haunted Savannah: The Official Guidebook to Savannah Haunted History Tour Conducted by Cobblestone Tours
  • When the Dolls Woke
  • The 1500-Calorie-A-Day Cookbook
  • The 34th Rule

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Before Goodbye