Start by marking “The Heretic's Guide to Best Practices: The Reality of Managing Complex Problems in Organisations” as Want to Read:

When it comes to solving complex problems, we often perform elaborate rituals in the guise of best practices that promise a world of order, certainty, and control. But reality paints a far different picture, which practitioners are often reluctant to discuss.In "The Heretic's Guide to Best Practices," authors Paul Culmsee and Kailash Awati provide a plethora of practical t ...more
Published November 30th 2011 by iUniverse.com

To ask other readers questions about The Heretic's Guide to Best Practices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heretic's Guide to Best Practices

Ben
Summary:

A refreshing look at the process by which companies grab at 'silver bullet' solutions like ITIL, PIMBOK, PRINCE2 and others (those are just the few the came to mind from my organisation). The take out seems to be we should spend a bit more time looking at how/why these systems do/don't work versus just propelling ourselves from one shiny object to the next.

Things I liked:

Humour: The book has a nice conversational style that makes it feel more like a interesting conversation in a pub.
Tadhg Maccarthy
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related, adapt
Very well researched & written - although I must be the referenced only non-Star Wars fan reader.

I like the case studies and the simplicity of IBIS for dialogue mapping - but I can see the need for a skilled practitioner for really wicked problems.

I worked with Paul in a previous company - in his previous life in sys admin. I knew he was smart - but not this smart :). Nice work!
Greg Raymond
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it

Awesome book that turns best practices on its head and asks why is this a best practice. I thoroughly recommend this for all Project Managers, Business Analysts and people wanting to understand strategic alliancing
Vladimír Zejda
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The book covers incredibely useful ideas (principles and tools) for untangling and even possibly solving wicked problems. I just wish it was better written, with more structure and fewer disjointed thoughts.
Tajinder Singh