Start by marking “Pretotype It” as Want to Read:
Pretotype It

Pretotype It

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  143 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This Is Embarrassing

This is not a “proper book.”

Writing and editing a proper book on the subject of pretotyping would take months. I would love to write that book, but at this time I have no indication that such a book would be worth writing. Most books fail in the market, and most of them fail not because they are poorly written or edited, but because there aren’t enough
Second Pretotype Edition, 72 pages
Published October 2011

To ask other readers questions about Pretotype It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretotype It

Salvador Daniel
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Un libro claro y rápido acerca de la metodología del pretotipo. Sin duda es de gran ayuda para quienes quieren emprender con muy pocos recursos. Muestra técnicas y aspectos que se pueden implementar para analizar la propuesta antes de ser lanzada.

Tiene algunos errores de edición por los cuales el autor se disculpa.
Raman K
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book for entrepreneurs.
Cami
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel odd leaving a review for a book that was not "finished" but instead was a "pretotype". Nonetheless, I received a copy of this on my desk from my CMO. After reading it, I know exactly why I received it. Being on the innovation team we all too often want to TEST EVERYTHING even though it may not be the right "it". We waste time and resources and lots of money focusing on things that may not drive sales, may not drive traffic and may not do anything for anyone. This idea of pretotyping is ex ...more
Lídia
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: leinn
Pretotyping [pree-tow-tie-ping], verb: testing the initial appeal and actual usage of a potential new product by simulating its core experience with the smallest possible investment of time and money.

Alberto Savoia, author of the book, has seen that on many ideas that fail (the Wrong IT) their creators had had spend to much money and time that became harder for them to let them go, and on the other hand, the ideas that succeed (the Right IT) where less than the 20%, stated by The Law of Failure
Steven Yi
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book on testing out a product for its viability before investing too much time/effort/money to building it. I read the free PDF copy from http://www.pretotyping.org/ and found it thoughtful and "just made sense." I can certainly think of many products that I've seen come and go in the market as well as have worked on myself at various companies that just weren't the right it. I think some sort of pretotyping might very well have saved a lot of time/money in a number of cases!

Th
Shreef A
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was recommended by some Quora answer and I thought it was about pr[o]totyping and not pr[e]totyping .. Only noticed when I started reading the book.

I like the book. It was able to deliver its message in as few pages as possible. It covers the concept of pretotyping, which is what is supposed to happen before investing time and money in building a prototype or MVP. It will help you make sure you are building the right it, before investing in building it right.

From now on, whenev
Arthur Li
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very light read suitable for study breaks. Smooth writing that doesn't feel like writing. The concept of pretotype is certainly not groundbreaking, but it serves as a neat reminder for entrepreneurs who seek an affordable failure before launching the venture. It is a nice guide on how to take calculated risks without sacrificing too much. Similar writings based on the concept of "fail fast" include the Lean Startup and a 2016 HBR How to Really Learn from the Failure, which are also great compl ...more
Ashish
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A short book; a must read for any creative and agitated mind. Even if you have some liking of creative expression I would recommend that you read this book.

This book formulates the idea of building pretotypes that help you validating your ideas and also get an answer to that burning question that should I bring this idea to life. The analogies presented are very useful.

The book is even available as a free read on http://pretotyping.org/ . So don't waste time just give it a read.
Cesc Vilanova
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I would read if you're thinking about launching your own product or service.

It goes in the same direction as the Lean Startup (by Eric Ries) and Running Lean (by Ash Maurya) but in this case, it focuses on the very first step: deciding which idea to pursue.

Also, it's much more practical and short (about 80 pages).
Caroline Gordon
Some excellent extensions to the idea of prototyping. Quite a short book, definitely recommended must read for anyone in product development. Love the idea the whole book is a pretotype, that is it is not a full book but a prototype book to confirm if it is worth writing a full book. Think it has proven itself and would like to see a full book follow.

“most prototypes are built to answer questions such as, “Can we build it?” or “Will it work as expected?” instead of focusing on questions such as “Should we build it at all?” or “If we build it, will people buy it and use it?” 0 likes
“The Pretotyping Manifesto Make sure you are building the right it before you build it right   innovators beat ideas pretotypes beat productypes data beats opinions now beats later doing beats talking simple beats complex commitment beats committees” 0 likes