Start by marking “The Crucifixion of Ministry: Surrendering Our Ambitions to the Service of Christ” as Want to Read:

As a pastor, do you ever get the feeling that no matter what you try, nothing much seems to change? That is because the ministries themselves are not redemptive--they are not up to you. Only Jesus' ministry is redemptive. Jesus has to "show up." Theologian Andrew Purves explores at the deepest level the true and essential nature of Christian ministry. He says that the ...more
Published September 27th 2007 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about The Crucifixion of Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crucifixion of Ministry

Start your review of The Crucifixion of Ministry: Surrendering Our Ambitions to the Service of Christ
Chris
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Andrew Purves delivers a much needed message to ministers in the American church: your ministry is not about you or what you do--it's about Jesus and what HE is doing. His advice is not only relevant, but likely to be a breath of fresh air, even a rescue, to many ministers. Here is one piece of advice:

"To ministers let me say this as strongly as I can. Preach Christ, preach Christ, preach Christ. Get out of your offices and get into your studies. Quit playing office manager and program
Alex Stroshine
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-regent
On the one hand, this book may not be for me. I say this book is not for me because aside from a couple of internships I really have not had to endure the gruelling trenches of church ministry. Andrew Purves wants to encourage pastors who feel burnt-out and burdened by the rigorous demands of ministry by continually reminding them that it is only Jesus' ministry, not their own, which is ultimately redemptive. Purves sees the task of pastors as bearing witness to Christ, interpreting the unique ...more
Mark Durrell
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended read for ordained and lay pastors!

I read this recently during a difficult season in ministry. It has helped immensely and now I'm going to re-read it for great clarity. Many thanks Andrew Purves.
William Stanger
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was another book assigned as mandatory reading for a course I'm taking. It had some helpful moments, but overall I think he belaboured his points and was a bit repetitive. Added to that, his theology jarred me at times too. This book has helped some, but not me, unfortunately.
Marcus
Dec 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Substance: 1/5
Readability: 1/5

I'm a seminary student and this was required for reading for class.

First, I don't consider myself theologically Reformed. It's quick to see that Purves does see himself that way. It's worth drawing attention to our theological differences before the following review, but I will attempt to review the book without allowing theological differences to cloud the way I review it.

Im a reader who is more sensitive to an authors organizational decisions. Presentation and
John Brackbill
Jul 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I got this book to read because of a great quote someone cited from it, but that was the best part of the whole book. The fact that he is of the egalitarian persuasion as well as part of the Presbyterian USA church was not encouraging to me as I got into the book. There were several places where he phrased a doctrine in such a way that was so far removed from biblical terminology but it was difficult to decipher its meaning and intent. At other times (surprisingly given his church affiliation) ...more
Chris
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pastoral, leadership
Really good and helpful when it comes to seeing ministry as Jesus' ministry. I really enjoyed the application of the vicarious humanity of Christ and our union with him. Good have been better on the crucifixion of "our ministry" and the practical application of our participation in Jesus' ministry.
Linda
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
The reality of a high burnout rate among members of the clergy drives this author's effort. His point is that pastors need to quit trying to do all the work themselves and surrender their ministries to Christ--after all, it is his ministry to begin with and he can do it just fine by himself. All he does is invite us to go along and share in it. A must-read for pastors.
John Elliott
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Puts forward vision of ministry that has, at its center, the doctrine of union with Christ. Still not sure I understand all the implications, but there is something here I am drawn towards. Will benefit from further reflection and discussion.
Kathy
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Teaches great lesson about losing yourself in order to gain for Christ, that ministry does not guarantee effectiveness unless your plans are put aside in order to allow God's plans to unfold in Church ministry.
Mark
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
The message? Getting out of Jesus' way is the only way to have a redemptive ministry. The minister must learn the functional, pastoral meaning of 'I am crucified with Christ' for his everyday life as a witness to Jesus Christ.
James
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a good book for ministry.
Bob
Feb 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
I found this book to be preachy, especially coming from an academic. The author's Calvinism also got in the way of my reading.
Cambofield
Jul 16, 2019
Vic Pergola
Mar 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Priests de la Resistance!: The Loose Canons Who Fought Fascism in the Twentieth Century
  • Run with the Horses: The Quest for Life at Its Best
  • Not Forsaken: Finding Freedom as Sons & Daughters of a Perfect Father
  • Discerning the Will of God: An Ignatian Guide to Christian Decision Making
  • A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society
  • The Cost of Cheap Grace: Reclaiming the Value of Discipleship
  • The Imperfect Pastor: Discovering Joy in Our Limitations through a Daily Apprenticeship with Jesus
  • Replenish: Leading from a Healthy Soul
  • Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion
  • Thomas Becket: Warrior, Priest, Rebel
  • God's Guidance: A Slow and Certain Light
  • Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
  • Checkpoint Charlie: The Cold War, The Berlin Wall, and the Most Dangerous Place On Earth
  • Working the Angles: The Shape of Pastoral Integrity (The Pastoral series, #2)
  • Open Secrets: A Memoir of Faith and Discovery