Start by marking “My Dear Watson” as Want to Read:
My Dear Watson

My Dear Watson

The greatest mystery surrounding Sherlock Holmes comes to light-he was actually a woman! The master-or rather, mistress-of disguise finally puts pen to paper to reveal this decades-long deception and, in so doing, discovers another fact she kept secret even from herself. The complex mind of the brilliant consulting detective is finally opened to the public, in the chronicl ...more
Published December 12th 2011 by MX Publishing (first published November 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Dear Watson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dear Watson

Start your review of My Dear Watson
Amy Sturgis
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
My Dear Watson proposes -- and this is no spoiler, as the reader knows this from the first page -- that Sherlock Holmes is a woman who has chosen to live in disguise as a man. The premise is intriguing, and I'd be interested to see it explored in another work. The novel gains points with me for originality, interesting backstory involving Holmes's parents and brother, and wicked use of someone who appears to be a Moriarty. I do love the notion of a young Holmes reading and being inspired by Mary ...more
Dorothy Weigand
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What in the world did I just read? It was amazing and had some twists that I thought were something else entirely. I picked this up because I am a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and I wanted to know how this was done and she definitely succeeded in beating my expectations.
Alethea
May 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
I would love to read a good “Sherlock Holmes is actually a woman“ story. Unfortunately, that’s not what this is. I got through it entirely on the basis of the fact that the audiobook narrator is one of my favorites, and it made good background noise.
Heather
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure I was going to be able to buy into the premise of this book, but I loved the true characterization and the plot twists.

Tammy
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very fun read

I had a lot of fun reading this and went through it all in one go. An adventurous ride fir the post-modern Holmes fan.
Margaret
Barbara Galt
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
The writing was good which is probably why I finished it.

The plot was weak and didn’t pull details out of Conan Doyle’s work except cocaine and violin.

It’s okay on its own, but doesn’t belong in the Holmes canon.

Stephanie
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I wasn't sure I would like the idea behind this Sherlock Holmes story but it pulled me in very quickly. Really enjoyed it.
Anthony
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
In Short
A female Sherlock Holmes.

Things to Like
A simple idea that is immediately engaging. Firstly is lots of humour to be had in the difficulty of maintaining the disguise. Secondly there is some nice exploration of social attitudes to gender. Put simply, a person who is a woman is a woman first and and person second.

Holmes and Constance Moriarty are two intelligent and resourceful women who have overcome the challenge in two very different ways. Moriarty has become a simpering vamp who manipul
Sharon
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I guess I didn't realize when I picked this book how much Bridges' premise that Sherlock Holmes was a woman would affect my enjoyment of the book. The writing was good; the story, outside of the gender thing, was plausible; the climax unforeseen, but I couldn't seem to get over Sherlock as a woman. Maybe it is that I have read all of Springer's Enola Holmes books and am much happier with the Holmes' persona in a little sister rather than in a cross-dressing female. Not sorry I read it and defini ...more
Frank
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Another Holmes parody-spoof...listened to end of the library mp3. Nice female reader, nice British accent, amusing. There was even a bit of emotional tension with the infatuation of Watson with the villainess, possibly would get it to 3.5. Maybe the problem is that the original Holmes stories are dated so the parodies are dated. The Laurie R King series is better if you need a dose of Holmes updated.
Amanda
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
I love to give this book 3 1/2 stars. But I just could not give it 4. I liked the story idea of Holmes being a woman and the whole story held my attention well. I was completely surprised at the ending. The one thing, that I really didn't care that much for was, the characterization of Dr. Watson. For some reason, he just didn't come off feeling like Dr. Watson to me.
Kristiel
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Ross McKenrick
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Light reading--like the sherbet that fine restaurants serve between courses. Cute.
Notme
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable "what if", written in style. The mystery part of it was not the strongest, but the atmosphere and characters made up for it.
Laura Chase
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun addition to the Holmes cannon of literature. I loved the fact the Sherlock is actually Lucy the younger sister of Mycroft Holmes. Good book for escape reading.
Lana
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this Holmes variation as an audio book. In the A.C. Doyle tradition it took a few twists and turns. The reader was very good at creating a voice for each character.
Elizabeth

• The Golden Lad: The Haunting Story of Quentin and Theodore Roosevelt
  • All Star Comics: Only Legends Live Forever
  • Uncanny Valley: A Memoir
  • Captain America: Liberty's Torch
  • Red Vengeance (Black Widow, #2)
  • Nexus Omnibus Volume 1
  • Aquaman by Peter David Book One (Peter David's Aquaman, #1)
  • Aquaman by Peter David Book Two (Peter David's Aquaman, #2)
  • In This Grave Hour (Maisie Dobbs, #13)
  • Daredevil: Predator's Smile
  • JSA by Geoff Johns Book One
  • Dakota North: Design for Dying
  • DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore
  • Black Widow: Forever Red (Black Widow, #1)
  • Inside the O'Briens