Start by marking “Thinking Person's Guide to Autism: Everything You Need to Know from Autistics, Parents, and Professionals” as Want to Read:

Thinking Person's Guide to Autism (TPGA) is the resource we wish we'd had when autism first became part of our lives: a one-stop source for carefully curated, evidence-based information from autistics, autism parents, and autism professionals.
Published November 28th 2011 by Deadwood City Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Person's Guide to Autism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Person's Guide to Autism

Start your review of Thinking Person's Guide to Autism: Everything You Need to Know from Autistics, Parents, and Professionals
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I wish I would have had this book when we first began to suspect that Max had autism.
Jessica
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is less a book about autism and more a book about neurotypical parents of autistic children.

There are a few essays from actually autistic people, but for the most part this is from allistic parents of autistic children, as well as allistic "autism experts" - special education teachers, BC-BAs, et. al.

While there is some gentle chastisement of pseudoscientific, biomedical "cures" or "treatments" for autism, it always falls on the side of "parental rights" rather than "parental obligations,"
Rebecca
Outstanding collection of essays by parents, autistic individuals, therapists and educators. I especially appreciate the articles debunking the pseudoscientific “cures” for autism (although Holly Robinson Peete defends her friend and fellow celebrity Jenny McCarthy, whose name appears quite a bit). This book should be mandatory reading for all parents of a child on the spectrum. I wish I’d read it years ago.
Lee Wilkinson
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autism-bookshelf
Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder with no known cause or cure. Unfortunately, families are often exposed to unsubstantiated, pseudoscientific theories, and related clinical practices that are ineffective and compete with validated treatments, or that have the potential to result in physical, emotional, or financial harm. The time, effort, and financial resources spent on ineffective treatments can create an additional burden on families. Thinking Person’s Guide to Autism, edited by Shannon ...more
Scott
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best easy to read book I've found that cuts through much of clutter and noise regarding autism. This book is especially recommended if you want to steer clear of Jenny McCarthy style pseudoscience. It's an assemblage of years of blog posts by various writers, grouped by subject, covering the wide range of issues that an autism diagnosis raises.

While I found some parts more useful than others and skimmed some sections, it's an absolutely essential book for anyone dealing with this diagnosis.
Ariane Zurcher
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the book I wish had been around when my daughter was first diagnosed.
Cheryl Clearwater
love the psuedo-science myth-busting! and love the variety of topics addressed. awesome that it's presented by autistic people as well as by parents and professionals. real advocacy.
Malinda
Heather Price
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto
  • Sing You Home
  • Knowing Why: Adult-Diagnosed Autistic People on Life and Autism
  • To Siri With Love: A Mother, Her Autistic Son, and the Kindness of a Machine
  • Ancient Trees: Portraits of Time
  • Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us
  • Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball
  • Teaching Social Communication to Children with Autism, First Edition: A Manual for Parents
  • Living Beautifully: with Uncertainty and Change
  • Ancient Skies, Ancient Trees
  • The Dude and the Zen Master
  • I Heart My Little A-Holes
  • Meathooked: The History and Science of Our 2.5-Million-Year Obsession with Meat
  • We Want to Do More Than Survive: Abolitionist Teaching and the Pursuit of Educational Freedom
  • Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism