Start by marking “It's Your Money: Becoming a Woman of Independent Means” as Want to Read:
It's Your Money: Becoming a Woman of Independent Means

It's Your Money: Becoming a Woman of Independent Means

With everything she does, Gail Vaz-Oxlade focuses on putting money in perspective and encouraging people to take control of their money and their lives. But over the years, she’s found that an astonishing number of smart, competent women are relinquishing that control. It’s Your Money is designed to inspire and inform them to take charge of their financial destinies.

This
Paperback, Revised, 464 pages
Published December 20th 2011 by Collins (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about It's Your Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Your Money

Start your review of It's Your Money: Becoming a Woman of Independent Means
Amanda
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this financial DIY book for any woman looking to take hold and make use of their present and future earnings. It was approachable, concise, and very relatable. It does make me wonder if her other books are much different. Nonetheless, great read!
Lauren Jackson
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-finance
This book is a revision of an older book called A Woman of Independent Means: A Woman's Guide to Full Financial Security, which I think is better. While this book does provide a solid foundation for those who are starting to take their finances more seriously, and discusses finance changes in the great context of life events, it is not as thorough as the original book.

Given that the original book is out of print, and now dated, this now becomes the best Gail Vaz-Oxlade book you can get. Other
Devon
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is amazing and actually helped me to obtain the ultimate goal of becoming debt-free. Vaz-Oxlade is a no non-sense woman who tells readers what they need to hear; not so much what they WANT to hear.
I was car-poor, being dragged down by the weight of a car that I couldn't afford - so I sold it. At first, I wondered what I had done and how I would survive without a car, but I made it. You think you can't do something until you do it, and Gail teaches you that. Gail makes you be honest
Andrea
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I bought this book at a thrift store for 50 cents, and following the tips in the book have already saved us over $100, and the effects will only multiply in the months to come. A good return on my investment. Easy to read and practical.
Carleen
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Plan like a pessimist so you can live like an optimist." -Gail Vaz-Oxlade
Julie
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Straight up and so honest about life it's scary. But Gail tells it like it is, covering everything you need to consider in this life to ensure that you're financially secure.
Joan Fisher
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: money-management
Excellent book on accumulating wealth & dealing with different investing instruments through the various stages of lifel
Lisa Marie
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I love Gail Vaz-Oxlade.

Over the last few years, hubby and I have watched many, many episodes of her TV show "Til Debt Do Us Part", admiring her blunt, frankness and full-attack mode to help desperate couples take charge of their financial disasters and get back into living within their means. So, when I had the chance to grab a copy of her new book, "It's Your Money" I snapped it up.

I had a few worries about reading the book though before I started. First, this book is marketed to women, and
Annie
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
I am a 24 year old recent graduate who just got a job. So from my perspective having little no background in personal finances, this book was excellent in covering those basics.

She divides her book into three sections:
Part I: Understand how you feel about your money
Part II: Build your financial foundation
Part III: Adapt your plan as your life changes

I found Part I and Part II the most useful. Both tackle understanding your money personality (turns out I'm a 'miser'), setting goals, building a
Anna Bunce
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic (and Canadian centric) financial advice book. Gail Vaz-Oxlade is down to earth and practical and I am definitely a fan. While at first I was a bit wary of a female centric financial guide (can't men and women just take the same financial advice?) Gail does an excellent job of highlighting situations women commonly find themselves in and how to financially address those issues (realizing you don't want to go back to work immediately after maternity leave, divorce or ...more
T Reads
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cpl
Things got a little sluggish towards the end...with all the talk of being widowed or disabled...but leave it to Gail to go out on a high note:

"Today, pick one thing you'll do differently. You might choose to stash your credit cards behind the refrigerator and shop with cash...Maybe you'll put yourself on a monthly investment plan. With as little as $25 a month, you can start forming a habit that will hold you in good stead forever."

"You, and only you, have the power to make the life you want.
Iris
I think that this is a good and accessible first book if you have absolutely no idea what you are doing, but I didn't learn anything mind-blowing here that I hadn't read elsewhere. I think it might be more helpful for older women who might not know if they have established their own credit rating outside of their current partnership.

Still this thing was so heterocentric. Since it is written for women, the chapters are all about "your husband this, your husband that..." etc. Kinda surprised that
Shora
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can imagine that this book does not add much to financial knowledge of the people who are born or raised in Canada and have heard people around then talk about RRSPs and TFSAa and all these different kinds of insurances all the time. But I am an immigrant from a country with a whole different financial system. So this book gave me a great shortlist of things I have to learn about in detail. It explained everything well, without being too technical. I also liked the honest, no bullshit tone of ...more
Danielle Gignac
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Gail Vaz-Oxlade. I used to watch her TV shows all of the time. I think this is a great book for all women, regardless of where they are in their life plan. I would consider myself to have a strong financial knowledge-base, but still learned a lot of information in this book. Some of it was the little details, or the things that are not yet relevant to me, while others were larger areas such as the insurance chapter. A must read for those looking to secure their financial future.
Debbie
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This was only mildly helpful. It's easy to read, and it has helped me to think in a different way about my spending and saving. It's helped me to set up a few new things in my monthly budget that will eventually help me to get ahead. I'd say it's worth the read if you are someone like me who has never really thought concretely about finances before. As a 25 year old, unmarried woman though, not all of this book feels applicable to me so it was hard to get through all of it.
Kira Dlusskaya
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A well-written and empowering book to which I plan to return many times. It's full of tips on how to manage your money and real-talk about why it's imperative that you do. The book is, in my opinion, an in-depth introduction to personal finance, so some advice may seem not especially insightful to the pros, but for most people, men or women, this is a good place to start and a lasting companion on the journey to sound personal finances.
Carly Laughlin
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's your money is a good basic guideline book for having money, planning for your future, and dealing with life changes that affect you and others financially. While it isn't the most exciting read, and some chapters may not apply to you (retirement, having children, being widowed), it does give some good tips for tracking your spending and saving. I recommending skipping chapters that don't apply to you, as it gets a bit repetitive, but overall it is a good general guide.
Melanie
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Simplistic, informative, things that every woman should know more about. Taking control of your finances is a major part of becoming independent and creating a sense of freedom. Knowledge is power and money is a major part of lives so understanding how to make it work for you and making sure that you take care of yourself and your loved ones leads to peace of mind.
Melissa
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm sure this is helpful for those who are in debt, need to live on a budget, or just don't know how to handle their money. I guess I'm sensible and money savvy as I knew and do most of this already. Check this out if you want Canada specific information about credit, mortgages, retirement savings, etc.
Kristin Matte
It's going to stay on my bookshelf as a reference. As someone who knows dick-all about finance and who has been totally passive about her financial situation I've definitely found this book eye-opening. Some chapter don't really touch me (marriage, kids) but financial planning issues like insurance and retirement definitely woke me up. I'll probably check it out again in the future.
Colleen
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
Not a lot of new information for someone who practically stalks Gail Vaz Oxlade but would be a great book for someone who is looking for a good overview of what to expect and how to plan for life events.
Cherop
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, finance
This is a terrific book for any woman (even men could benefit I'm sure) wanting a complete overview of all things financial from the early years to twilight year. I've read many financial books and even several by Gail Vaz-Oxlade. This one is by far the best one, in my humble opinion.
Lysa
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Its really helpful. Already using some of her ideas to save money. Its not working yet but it makes me more aware of how often I spend on unnecessary wants. Would buy it for myself to use.
Ahn
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
It wasn't what I expected.
elizabeth
As a previous reviewer mentioned, it's useful if you need a primer on financial literacy but otherwise not much new.
Rachelle
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any age woman
Excellent information for Canadian women regarding financial plans for different stages of life (count on yourself!)
Lara
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I wish I could be friends with Gail Looove her TV shows, and love that this book is specific to Canada. Thanks Gail, for doing what you do!!! ...more
Jess
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Insightful, no-nonsense..this book helped me get out of debt in less than a year! Thanks Gail, for giving it to us straight! :)
Christina
Probably one of the most important books I'll ever read.
Off to budget my money properly...
J
Jul 25, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF - advice generally good, but better suited to the Canadian.

• Worry-Free Money: Stop budgeting, Start Living
  • Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School
  • The Wealthy Barber Returns
  • Help Me: One Woman’s Quest to Find Out if Self-Help Really Can Change Your Life
  • My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake, #1)
  • Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women and Money: 50 Common Money Mistakes and How To Fix Them
  • The Latte Factor: Why You Don't Have to Be Rich to Live Rich
  • No Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters
  • The Early Cases of Hercule Poirot
  • Inconspicuous Consumption: The Environmental Impact You Don't Know You Have
  • On Fire: The Case for the Green New Deal
  • It's Always Something
  • The Bad Food Bible: How and Why to Eat Sinfully
  • You Need a Budget: The Proven System for Breaking the Paycheck to Paycheck Cycle, Getting Out of Debt, and Living the Life You Want
  • Red Flags: How to know he's playing games with you. How to spot a guy who's never going to commit. How to force him to show his cards. (The Truth about ... of commitment and sudden loss of interest)
  • The Sleep Revolution: Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time
  • Whose Story Is This? Old Conflicts, New Chapters
  • Feminist Fight Club: An Office Survival Manual for a Sexist Workplace
"Hello! I'm Gail Vaz-Oxlade. I'm a mother, step-mother, grand-mama, friend, confessor, writer, TV host, money maven, teacher, artist, and ex-wife. I'm loud, large and laugh a lot. I'm passionate about learning, committed to sharing and hell-bent on getting people to take control of their money and their lives.

I've written 13 books on personal finance, hundreds of articles for the financial media,