Start by marking “Secret Agent Splat!” as Want to Read:
Secret Agent Splat!

Secret Agent Splat!

(Splat the Cat)

Who messed with my ducks?

Splat the Cat notices that something isn’t quite right in his house. First his father’s duck decoys start to go missing. Then they are mysteriously returned but, strangely enough, without their beaks! Who could possibly be causing all of this trouble? To solve the mystery, Splat musters up his courage and rises to the challenge as Secret Agent Spla
Published March 13th 2012 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Secret Agent Splat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Agent Splat!

Dolly
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2012, mystery
I've never been a huge fan of Splat the Cat, but our girls love these books. The cat is fuzzy and adorable and the stories have some innocent charm, but I was frustrated by the seemingly vapid churning out of books in order to capitalize on a popular character. There have been eight books published in the last year or so and many of them weren't even written by Rob Scotton. I was not impressed.

But then we borrowed this book from the library and I was pleasantly surprised to see Mr. Scotton as t
Heather McC
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Splat puts on his investigative hat to solve a crime centered around his beloved toy ducks. Not an overly memorable read.
Joanne
Jun 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Review for ‘Secret Agent Splat’ by Rob Scotton

This book is about a cat named Splat whose dad makes toy ducks. Splat thinks very highly of the toy ducks and he keeps a careful eye on them where they are kept in the garden shed. One day he realises that one of the ducks are missing then the next it returns but a different duck goes missing. Each time one of the ducks are returned their nose is missing. Splat now needs to find out who is taking the toy ducks and so he has to investigate. He eventua
Heidi-Marie
It's definite: I love Scotton's illustrations--especially the humor he puts in them. This story was fun and silly, as are the other Scotton works I've read. My favorite part was the top-secret gizmo. I could totally tell what it was, and guessed correctly how Splat would use it. But that didn't take away from how hilarious it was to see come about on page. And the gizmo had a trick that I didn't know about--which made me laugh all over again.

This could be a fun school-age storytime read, and a g
Maddypictures
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Splat wants to solve the mystery of why his ducks' bills are going missing. The story didn't make a lot of sense - many of the characters just pop in with very little introduction, but then again, I haven't really followed the series. I loved Splat's rambling notes on his "cunning plan" to catch the culprit. There's a fun "top secret" duck code on the end pages that I think kids will dig.
Shelli
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The case of the missing wooden ducks can only be solved by the very brilliant Secret Agent Splat. The fact that the ducks names are John, Paul, George, and Ringo only add to the cool factor of this book. :)
Courtney
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
My favorite part about this book is the illustrations! Reading the book feels like you're watching a movie.
Sunah Chung
In this children's book, Splat the Cat loves his collection of toy ducks. But one day he recognized that ducks were missing their beaks one by one. So, he started to investigate the disappearance of the toy ducks and solved the problem.
Mysteries can be an intriguing topic for children as it causes them to guess what may happen next and how issues could be solved. Splat the Cat set a trap to catch the person of interest. I also liked the duck code, a code created in this story, on the front an
Emma
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This story would be enjoyed for all primary ages and is about Splat who sets out to discover the cause of his father’s toy ducks disappearing. He creates a trap and a spy kit, which children could discuss what they would take with them to solve a mystery in certain situations. He discovers that mouse is taking them but the cat is returning them which explains the puzzle. However, mouse is only doing it as he’s lonely and wants a friend. This could be discussed in PSHE about friendship and helpin ...more
Lara
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a fan of both mysteries and of Splat (and floofy kitties in general), this was sure to be a win for me. I love the humor Scotton puts into his pictures - like how Splat is Secret Agent 003 1/2! Parents should be sure to take a look at some of those details while they're reading with their kids.

This is also a good one for a storytime. The Splat series in general has nice big pictures (good for a group audience), a silly sense of humor, and sweet characters. This one would be a good fit for sto
Kimberly
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
I give this book a 4 star rating.

This book is about Splat and the case of the missing duck. This leads to Splat trying to figure out a way to who has been taking his ducks from the sheds. Splat finally founds the mystery men who was actually Spike's mouse. The mouse was just taking it because he wanted a friend. Finally, Splat became a friends with everyone.

Ways to use this in a classroom
1) Mystery Unit
2) Lesson about friendship
3) Deceives units
Ryan
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Someone has been stealing the ducks his dad makes. Even more peculiar is that when they are returned, they are all missing their beaks. Secret Agent Splat is on the case. A fun romp with a happy ending.
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun read, love reading about Splat and friends!!
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very cute book about finding the missing toys. A bit on the longer side for storytime but still enjoyable.
Viviane Elbee
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fans of Splat the cat will probably enjoy this one. It’s funny with a twist ending.

My favorite part is the look on the duck’s faces when they are missing their beaks.

Kids liked this book.
Jc
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Special Agent Splat is looking for the culprit who is taking the ducks.
Skyla Krcmarik
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mystery
Grade: 1-2
The Splat the Cat books have great humor! I also love them because they are great for learning new vocabulary.
Klaudia Janek
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libres
Highly Recommended [return][return]This is the 6th book in the Splat series. Children who love the other books are sure to love this one. Splat has a mystery to solve! Someone has been stealing his toy ducks. Everyday one is missing and one is returned. Splat watches his favorite tv show, “Secret Agent Cat,” for ideas on how to catch whomever is responsible for stealing the ducks. His friend Seymour goes with him. They set a trap. The trap works and Splat finds Spike hiding in his Top Secret Hid ...more
Jen
I really liked this story! The plot was exciting and the illustrations were great fun. Splat the Cat and his friend, Seymour the mouse, discover that Splat's duck collection is missing a new duck every night, which is only to be returned by the following night with its beak missing! After interviewing his family and watching Secret Agent Cat, his favorite television show, Splat creates a Cunning Plan and turns himself in to a secret agent! He cleverly sets a trap, follows the clues, and finds th ...more
Shuli
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
"Good, good! I liked that Splat was a Secret Agent, and the secret gizmo, but I knew what it was anyways! Splat likes to watch detective movies - we already know that apparently - it had really cool spies, the mouse was the second spy. Apparently Splat was the best spy; and there was a guy named Spike. I like the name Spike. It was a really cool book."

Note from Mom:

This book is good for advanced-beginner readers; it has some challenging words that can't be sounded out (sight words) and some lon
Tracy St. John
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
My first grade students have been in love with these Splat the Cat books for some time now and figured that I should read several (and stock up my classroom library as well) to see what all the fuss was about! I have to say that after reading several of these silly kitty books I can see how a 6 year old might love these so much! With such simple pictures and characters and fairly easy to read text Splat doesn’t leave much not to love. In this specific story Splat notices that several of his wood ...more
Nick
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Cute, but nonsensical, even for a Splat the Cat book.
Someone is stealing Splat's toy ducks, knocking the beaks off, and then returning them. Inspired by his favorite TV show, Splat becomes a "secret agent" in order to investigate. Odd, because he acts a lot more like a detective, but appartently the "secret agent" part is to set up a visual joke which some parents will get, but kids will not. (I think it's a reference to Dr. Evil, from Austin Powers.)
The resolution of how and why the ducks are s
Barbara
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Without references to the earlier books in this series, readers may be a little confused about who Seymour and Spike actually are, but they'll probably be able to figure that out over the course of the story. Splat (a wonderfully fuzzy cat with big eyes)decides to investigate when the ducks his father makes keep disappearing and then reappearing minus a beak. The reason for the thefts is rather sweet, and the problem is resolved in a satisfying manner for all those involved. The colorful illustr ...more
Danielle Baker
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spalt-the-cat
Review:

I love Splat. He's being silly again. This story has wonderful vocabulary like investigate, mystery, missing, transformation and gizmo. I would use this story for a large group experience, after reading the story I would have the children solve the mystery of the missing class stuffed animal and put clues around the classroom.

Learning Experience:

I would make a file folder game with ducks in it like the ones in the story and the children would have to match the ducks that are the same.

Nicole Entwistle
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a cat whose ducks start to come up missing and the cat has to go undercover to see who is taking them. This book really caught my attention with the images. The images were so well drawn and really captured the book. This book can be used in the classroom if you are trying to teach children about making friends and that no matter how different someone may be they still need a friend too.
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Splat the cat never fails to make you smile with his adventures. This time around Splat discovers that someone is taking his duck decoys and replacing them without their beaks. There is a nice lesson with the ending about generosity and friendship. I read this with my 8 year old son and I watched him grinning frequently through the story. We both agreed that the illustrations are fantastic. My son said he loves the book because Splat is so funny :)
Camila
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-elements
I love Splat books! In this book Splat tries to figure out who is stealing his toy ducks and returning them without beaks! I love that it has a story line with a beginning, middle and end but the text is still simple enough for young readers. It's a funny book that I think engages children from beginning to end. I think it's a great book to teach elements of a story.
Liz Todd
Splat and Seymour are at it again. Who is stealing the wooden ducks? Splat solves the mystery by setting up an elaborate trap.

I wish that the trap would have been more explicit--kids love traps. This one was a little bit difficult to visualize, I thought. I had to explain it to my kids. This book also assumed that we knew the characters somewhat well...
Skye Robinson
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
PB 24: This book was adorable because this cat becomes a detective to figure out who was messing with his beloved collection of ducks. He tries to locate this thief and discovers that the thief was having tea parties with the ducks and he just wanted a friend. Because the thief was a mouse...how could a cat be friends with a mouse? Great illustrations and great meaning to kids. Liked this a lot.
Stephanie
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-306
Secret Agent Splat is tons of fun! Splat the cat makes all kind of ducks and when one goes missing Splat decided to investigate what is happening. The author uses funny illustrations to emphasize the humor and take you on Splat's adventure to finding out what is happening. This story has a clear view of beginning, middle, and end would make for a fun read aloud.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Perfect Present
  • I Love My Daddy
  • Otis and the Puppy
  • Never Too Little to Love
Rob Scotton is the bestselling author and illustrator of "Russell the Sheep," and "Russell and the Lost Treasure." His latest book, "Splat the Cat" is the story of a young cat facing all the wonders and worries of his first day at cat school. Rob's work can also be found on greeting cards, ceramics, textiles, prints, stationery, and glassware. An honors graduate of Leicester Polytechnic, Rob now l ...more

Splat the Cat (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Splat the Cat
  • Love, Splat
  • Merry Christmas, Splat
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Splish, Splash, Splat!
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Splat the Cat: Where's the Easter Bunny? (Splat the Cat)
  • Back to School, Splat!