Start by marking “Inhibitions, Symptoms and Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Inhibitions, Symptoms and Anxiety

Inhibitions, Symptoms and Anxiety

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Setting forth in rich detail Freud's new theory of anxiety, Inhibitions, Symptoms and Anxiety (1926) is evidence for one of them. In rethinking his earlier work on the subject, Freud saw several types of anxiety at work in the mind and here argues that anxiety causes repression, rather than the other way around.
Published September 17th 1990 by W. W. Norton Company (first published 1925)

To ask other readers questions about Inhibitions, Symptoms and Anxiety, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inhibitions, Symptoms and Anxiety

Magdalen
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it

Actual representation of me when I finished reading. Jokes aside this book at first was hard even though I read it in my mother tongue my brain at some points couldn't function properly. A couple of days ago someone told me the same things more or less that Freud uses in this book so it was easier for me to comprehend them 'cause Freud was such an intellectual.
Anyway, needless to say that just by reading it my anxiety got triggered right?
Mr.
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Often overlooked, this concise exploration of origins and manifestations of anxiety is often brilliant and provocative. Freud explores the basic properties of fear, anxiety, and touches on the sexual component of these human states of mind/body. Freud hypothesizes that the origin of anxiety is founded in the repressed memory of the human's separation from the mother's originary nutrition during the act of birth. All manifestations of anxiety are (in essence) a resurgence of this primal fear. Thi ...more
Majed
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
As in the title , in this book freud discuss his view on anxiety and its origin ( he wrote about anxiety before but in this one he made some modification ) and the connection between anxiety and symptom-formation , plus some criticism of other views especially of Otto rank his ex-pupil .

I liked it because I've gained some insights into my social anxiety , although I did not understand some parts , so in general its a good read indeed .
Oana
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
There are books that change your perception about people and make you start to understand people more and determine you not to criticize them ever again. Freud's books are amongst these books. I enjoyed reading it once again.
Ed
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This short book is far more interesting than its title might suggest.
Nicoleta
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
Dă de gândit și îmi aduc aminte destul de bine și după mulți ani de la citire cazuri și interpretări ale lor din carte. Să depindă atât de multe de sex cum părea să zică Freud sau să fie vorba și de alte nevoi umane?
Steve
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fascinating and (very) difficult little book, this one finds the good doctor rethinking some of his earlier ideas on this fascinating subject. As with so much of Freud, I suspect it will yield even more for me on a future rereading.
Kirk Johnson
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By this point, in the third essay in an unofficial trilogy begun with Beyond the Pleasure Principle and The Ego and the Id, I'm uncertain if Freud is contributing something of value or just nerding out on the details. Regardless, it's a relief to see him moving further away from his explanation of the libido being such a prevailing source of issues. The book is well written, but be prepared for some dense writing.
Valerie
Cet ouvrage de Freud est un bon rappel de l'évolution de sa métapsychologie, sur les rapports entre le Moi, le ça, les formations de symptômes et la problématique de l'angoisse, mais c'est aussi ce qui le rend un peu soporifique... en effet à part rappeler les cas cliniques classiques de l'homme aux loups et du petit Hans, il y a très peu d'illustration clinique, et le livre se répète autant que Freud essaie de clarifier son propos. Ces répétitions seront malgré tout bien pédagogiques et permett ...more
Felix
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theory
German edition - German review:

Nicht gerade das leichteste von Freuds Werken. Im gegensatz zum flüssigen, leicht nachvollziehbaren Stil vieler anderer Schriften, ist dieses Werk sehr dicht und abstrakt. Kein Lesevergnügen und allen, die sich eher aus kulturwissenschaftlichen, denn aus psychoanalytischen Gründen für Freuds Theorie interessieren ist hiervon eher abzuraten. Der Theoriegewinn liegt mehr in den Details und in den begrifflichen Differenzierungen gegenüber früheren Schriften.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I first read this in a college course, and found his body of work to be eye opening and thought provoking--although not all that easy to read--I would never have guessed that I would go on to be a psychiatrist, but he rocked my world
Manuella
Feb 07, 2010
Emre Mete
Aug 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan, Book II: The Ego in Freud's Theory and in the Technique of Psychoanalysis, 1954-1955
  • A Clinical Introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis: Theory and Technique
  • Tarrying with the Negative: Kant, Hegel, and the Critique of Ideology
  • The Maturational Processes and the Facilitating Environment
  • The Bonds of Love: Psychoanalysis, Feminism, & the Problem of Domination
  • The Death of Sigmund Freud: The Legacy of His Last Days
  • The Analysis of Self: A Systematic Approach to the Psychoanalytic Treatment of Narcissistic Personality Disorders
Freud was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, who created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality. He is regarded as one of the most influential - and controversial - minds of the 20th century.

Sigismund (later changed to Sigmund) Freud was born on 6 May 1856 in Freiberg, Moravia (now Pribor in the Czech Republic). His father was a merchant. The
More about Sigmund Freud...