Start by marking “A Ghost in my Suitcase” as Want to Read:
A Ghost in my Suitcase

A Ghost in my Suitcase

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The flute music stops, and my breath catches in my throat. Silence falls like a veil. Then I hear something - no, I feel it in my chest. 'Steady yourself,' Por Por whispers. 'It's here . . . '

When Celeste travels to China to visit her grandmother, she uncovers an incredible family secret. And with this secret comes danger and adventure.

If Celeste is to save her family and
Published February 2nd 2009 by Penguin Australia (first published 2009)

Issy Mcindoe
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very intriguing and interesting story that really got you thinking about what is going to happen next. It was a great story line an I could never put the book down. I normally don't really read as fast as I read this book and I think everyone should read it because I makes you feel like you are in the story with the characters and you can really visualise the setting. It is a really good read and I defiantly recommend it to everyone, adults, teenagers or young adults.
Benna
Oct 05, 2010 added it
It was very inspirational in that she adapted really quickly to he different country.
Nicole
I liked Ghost in My Suitcase but did not think it anything special. In fact, I found the use of present tense rather than past to be a little annoying. It is the cultural references that make it worth reading, although they tend to sit under the storyline a little. I would recommend it to upper primary (elementary) students or poorer Middle School readers. I had hoped to link it to my Ancient China history unit -it mentions Ancient China from a modern context- but I suspect it is too easy a rea ...more
Catherine  (WLWFiction)
Adele Broadbent
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Celeste is nervous but excited about travelling to China from Australia, to see her Grandmother. Celeste is taking her Mum’s ashes to scatter them in the Isle of Clouds, where her mother grew up and her ancestors are from. When she first arrives, there is another girl staying with Por Por (Celeste’s Grandmother), and she is mean to Celeste.
Despite Ting Ting’s nastiness, Celeste is loving the sights and smells of the city her grandmother lives in. She soon discovers Ting Ting is an orphan who Por
Pamela Huxtable
Feb 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
Celeste travels to China for the first time to visit her grandmother, Por Por. She has a sad duty to perform; Celeste is carrying her mother's ashes back to her childhood home to scatter them. Celeste feels lost and insecure, and tells the reader " Before Mama died I felt as if I could wrap up the day and put it in my pocket... now I feel trapped, as if I'm in a giant spiderweb."

Por Por frees Celeste by loving her and helping her discover her heritage, her Chinese culture, and her family's calli
Hannah :)
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I guess the best way I can convince people by saying this book is absolutely amazing is by saying I still get my youngest sister to borrow it for me from her library so I can read it. I've read it literally 23 times and I still fall in love with the compelling story and heart-warming characters. I can hands down and proudly say that this is my all time favourite childhood novel and I still read it today. Its one of those books Ill pull out in 20 years time and hand it to my child and say "this u ...more
Selina Ryan
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chinese culture meets supernatural. When Celeste's mother dies she takes her ashes to back to China and meets her grandma Paw paw and her adopted daughter Ting ting. As Celeste gets to know her Paw paw, she begins to learn skills in the family profession of ghost hunting. But it will take all her strength and courage to help her Grandmother overcome the family nemisis who stole their home.
Raihana
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
A better ghost story to recommend to children rather than Mr Midnight. The only scary parts are when the main characters are fighting the ghosts (they are ghost-hunters) but mostly love that the backdrop of the story is in China, so that we get a glimpse into its culture.
Bella
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sose
i liked this book, but it's nothing special. I thought it was really interesting to see the transition from Australia to China through Celest's eyes. i think she settles in really well,but i wasn't really sure that it had an aweful lot to do with immigration.
Pamela S
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mystery, horror and adventure is the main point of this book. This book has the "spell" that kept me addicted to this book and I just love it! I love this author's writing style and her other books as well. Lovely cover design. Excitement comes up when you're deeply drowned in this book!
Juliet Marie Tomlinson
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A well written book that I loved very much!
Kitty tomlinson
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
it was such a good bok i loved it because i like ghost stories and i liked the new version of this ghost story it was winderful.
Michelle
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting!!!
Toby Dralion
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A real strange story line, but the rest of it is great!
Gracie
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it's a big adventure in china but the book is a bit spooky when describing the ghost. The author describes the book so well that your able to picture it in your head.
Bhavi
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really fantistic and fascinating book! I wish there was a series of it because it was a great as book. I dont know what to say!
Genevieve Easton
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Ghost in my Suitcase is an excellent fast pace book that is written to perfection. I'm a very fussy reader but this book was one of the best.
Sue Bursztynski
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gentle, fantastical and lovely. I'm going to see if I can get it into my class's Literature Circle.
Tahlia
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pretty Good A Bit Short Though...
Liahney
i loved this book
Maia
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very very very fantastically marvelous book!
Eloise
Aug 27, 2014
Afreen Nasir
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gabrielle Wang is an award winning children’s author born in Melbourne of Chinese heritage. Her great grandfather came to Victoria during the Gold Rush, settling in the town of Wahgunyah on the Murray River. In her twenties Gabrielle lived in China and Taiwan where she studied Chinese language, traditional painting and calligraphy. After working as a graphic designer she discovered a love of paint ...more
More about Gabrielle Wang...