Start by marking “Losing It” as Want to Read:
Losing It

Losing It

To avoid Losing It in the bushes with some random guy in a heavy-metal T-shirt after too many tequila shots, four best friends make a bet: to lose it before schoolies week – and preferably in a romantic, sober way that they won't regret.

What follows is a sometimes funny, sometimes awkward, but always compelling comedy of errors as Abby, Mala, Bree and Zoe each try to find
Published March 28th 2012 by Penguin Australia (first published March 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Losing It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Losing It

Shirley Marr
Dec 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: aussie-ya
To be honest, the idea of this book did not initially set my pants on fire. A virginity pact novel? What? Is this going to be like American Pie? Maybe it had something to do with the pre-publicity which proclaimed "Get ready for some teachers and librarians to hate it!" What? Is this the 1950s? How about proclaiming it as "Contains excellent character development! Get ready for people who enjoy quality Aussie YA to love it"?

The novel is about four teenage girls who as the title suggests, attempt
Reynje
Dec 15, 2011 rated it liked it
You say “Virginity Challenge”, I think cliché-ridden teen comedy film featuring at least one gross-out scene and more double entendres than you can shake a stick at.

Right or wrong, what immediately comes to my mind is the tired formula of a group of teens and their various misadventures on a “hilarious” quest to lose their virginity before [insert momentous high school event here].

But Julia Lawrinson’s Losing It is not a cheap laugh at a string of sex jokes. While it definitely has its funny mom
Nadia King
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I thought the premise of Losing It by Julia Lawrinson sounded dubious. Four high school friends challenge themselves to lose their virginity before the end of Year 12. This could have been trivial, possibly nonsensical but Lawrinson gives readers a sensitively told and compassionate look into the girls’ complicated and at times, heartbreaking lives. Without giving away spoilers, watch out for the character, Matty who is a wonderful minor although pivotal character in the book. Lo ...more
Steph Bowe
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Books with suggestive titles/covers make me feel awkward when purchasing them or taking them out at the library. How on earth people buy or borrow those romance books with half-naked people on the cover is entirely beyond me. Every time I see someone with a Kindle the only logical conclusion is that they are reading a book too embarrassing to reveal the cover to anyone else. Fortunately they have self-serve check-outs at the library near where I live now. I love self-serve check-outs. Every time ...more
Amanda
Losing It is set in a fictional suburb in Australia. The story opens with four friends, Bree, Mala, Zoe and Abby, sitting in Mala's bedroom. They're drinking the vodka that they managed to sneak in and talking about boys and sex, of course! Together they are the Geek Girls, also know as the GeeGees and they wear their name with pride. All four of them attend St Michael's Anglican College on scholarships and they have been friends since year seven. They're now in their final year of high school a ...more
Celine
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Review originally posted in: http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com.au/...

Cover:
Such a cute cover! When I first saw the cover, I thought those hearts were balloons but after reading the book, I found out that they are not actually balloons!

Story:

4 girls, end of year 12. Losing It.

I never thought Losing It was such an enjoyable read! Losing It is a story of four girls who are trying to lose their virginity. They make a pact to try and lose IT and gather together to share their stories. The story is sp
ALPHAreader
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Meet Bree, Zoe, Abby and Mala – the GeeGees (aka ‘Geek Girls’). The GeeGees quickly banded together as the outcast scholarship kids at prestigious SMAC (aka ‘St. Michael’s Anglican College), and ever since then they have been inseparable.

Bree is the glamazon of their group – she turns boy’s heads but has a reputation as an ice queen.

Abby is a sweet Christian girl – but don’t be fooled, because it’s the quiet ones you’ve got to look out for.

Mala is the dutiful daughter who is slowly being suffoca
Ashley
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, own
had to sleep on my opinion of this one, but here it goes.

I originally picked up this title in a Booktopia Easter weekend sale and as it's been sitting on my shelf fairly untouched for the past two years, I thought it was about time I picked it up. My tastes have changed a bit since I got it, and a book about four girls who challenge each other to lose their virginities before 'schoolies' week wasn't something I was keen on.

I was wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It consists of four stories
Christy Ngo
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I first got this book, I actually liked the cover (red cover with the hearts). I thought it was going to just a YA contemporary read. Well, it wasn’t exactly what I expected.
While reading the first few chapters, I grew interested in the 4 girls who are actually quite different. I finished the books in half a day and I really enjoyed reading it.
I liked the way the book was written. It was as though I was actually reading 4 stories of 4 girls which made me being able to feel connected to the
Bree T
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Abby, Mala, Bree and Zoe are the Geek Girls at their exclusive private high school where they’re mostly there on scholarships. They bonded almost right away and have been friends ever since. Now, about to go in to year 12, the talk is suddenly about virginity and the losing of it.

Bree comes up with an idea – in order to avoid losing their collective virginity in drunken fumbles on the beach or behind a seedy club on schoolies week at the end of the year like a high proportion of their fellow stu
Sinead
Apr 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
While I think it's nice and naive when it comes to high school girls and it is a quick read, it was a bit cringe worthy. I personally think most of the situations the characters were in were over dramatic and all of them were really one dimensional when it came to character development and backstory.
Josephine
May 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
I ended up skimming through this because the writing and the characters didn't engage me. I was also disappointed to see how the pact played out - and Matty's role throughout the story. This had a lot of potential but it fell flat for me.
Kai
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review posted at Amaterasu Reads

Everything started with a dare Bree suggested: lose your virginity before the schoolies. The GeeGee's (Geek Girls with scholarships) Abby, Mala and Zoe agreed with their friend, and all hell broke loose. Split into four parts, the story revolves around the conquests of Bree, the gorgeous, popular cool geek everyone likes, Abby, the conservative Christian girl, Mala, the girl who's obsessed with boys just because she can't be near them, and Zoe, raised by a singl
Melina
Losing it is a story of four girls who make a pledge to lose their virginity before schoolies. The story, told in four different parts, charts their year as they dodge the obstacles of driving tests, parents, older brothers and questions of sexuality to ‘Do It’

To be honest, I didn’t like this book. I’ve read a lot of reviews on it which rave about how great it is to see female sexuality and teenaged sexuality treated so well, and it is a very sexually liberated book. However, throughout the whol
Antonia
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Well I totally wasn't expecting that. As soon as I found out the trend that was going on I became bored. I like the fact that this book is about development and not drama and gossip. These girls are relatable but the ones I felt like I understood the most were Zoe and Mala, I found myself bored by abby and Bree. Possibly because I thought abby needed to grow a backbone and Bree needed to be more true to herself. I understood how she felt and why she decided to cover everything up under her ice g ...more
kit
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here: http://bibliotekit.blogspot.co.uk/201...

Losing It centres on a pact made between four friends during Year Twelve, to lose their virginity before schoolies week, in the hope of doing it with someone they actually like (and, you know, getting rid of that pesky virginity thing). The book is split into four main sections, each focusing on one of the girls: Zoe, Abby, Mala and Bree. The girls have pretty varied backgrounds - Zoe lives with her mum, who is pretty easygoing and
Lisa
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: penguin
Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

In this story about getting an inconvenience out of the way and finally entering womanhood, four young girls realise that sex isn't all it's cracked up to be. But then again, how often is it when it's not with someone you're attracted to and only lasts ten seconds...? Thinking they'd rather be in control of their devirginisation without the ugly side effects of alcohol, Zoe, Abby, Mala and Bree create the Great Virginity Challenge in hopes of losin
Rebecca
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
There is no illusion as to what this book is going to be about. It's on the cover (heart shaped sperm) and in the title and on the blurb.

This book is about sex. That may put a lot of people off, mainly those selecting for school libraries. I must admit that I wasn't convinced I would like this book, I feared that a story of four teenage girls embarking on The Great Virginity Challenge might be too much for me to take. Too tacky or too confronting, but it wasn't what I expected at all.

Don't get
Angie~ Faery of Weirdness
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: contemporary fans, romance fans, teenage issues fans:) etc etc
I can't remember when I finished or started this book, but I read it in the holidays last year when I saw it and found it funny, so I decided to read it to make fun of girls' virginity *smirks*

***

*exhales* I don't know. When I borrowed the book I didn't clearly see the cover properly or what it suggested or even meant. And then when I got home and my sister just gave me a weird look when she saw the cover of the book, let's just say that I'm lucky that she didn't know the full concept of having
Holly
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: average
Picked this book up on a whim (as a do with most books)and I read the first introductory chapter and was like "Whut? REALLY?" These group of 4 friends make up a challenge to lose their virginity before Schoolies week (which I still don't entirely know what it is) and they can't tell each other if they've succeeded or failed until the week before schoolies.

I've forgotten their names already. Wait. Let me access my memory from last night.
Bree - gorgeous girl who is the object of lust of every dude
Ernie
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-book
What Malcolm Burgess's Doing It does for a young male readership, Julia Lawrinson does for young women in the field of adolescent sexual experiment, while readers of both sexes will be kept both informed and entertained. Early sexual experiences are usually not funny at the time but both writers use humour to keep things in perspective. Lawrinson depicts four teenaged girls who make a pact to lose their virginity before the year 12 formal, keep their activities secret and compare notes in school ...more
Diem
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
‘Losing It’ by Julia Lawrinson is split into 6 parts: ‘The First Week of Year 12’, Zoe’ story then Abby’s, Mala’s, Bree’s and ends with ’November Schoolies Week’

In the first section which sets up the story, the language used surrounding the girls’ pact to ‘lose it’ was very heteronormative. However, as I kept reading I was glad to discover that this book was not as heterosexual as I feared it would be.

Mala’s section was a highlight for me as I found it the most sex positive. She’s from a cultur
Estelle
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This has got to be at about number three on my "dirtiest books I have ever read" list. A friend of mine had read it and said that although it was a bit innapropriate, it was a really good book. So I read it and was surprised. By reading the back cover I thought "this is going to be interesting" and wasnt't really sure what to expect. The shocking twists and turns kept me interested and I read it in a couple of hours. Whilst reading it I kept thinking "I know how this is going to end", but I neve ...more
Marissa Marzano
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have two words for this book. HOLY. SHIT.

I don't think a book has ever amused me this much. I thought it was brilliantly written for the plot and it takes some real talent to write so may fucked up situations in only a certain amount of pages.

If you are not into teen trash then i don't recommend this book, because it just won't tickle your fancy at all ! I found it really interesting how a person who i presume has had sex before, can write about it as if they haven't, and i can just imagine tr
Tina
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really liked it. Liked that it was about girls wanting to lose their virginity. Liked that the girls are strong and make their own decisions about what they will and won't do. Liked that the characters were real and interesting. didn't like the ending so much. (view spoiler) ...more
Emily
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I was afraid reading this would be too much like my own Year 12 experiences. That it would shame me by appearing in front of me in black and white print. Fortunately, Julia Lawrinson includes a plot-warp that left me off the hook. Enjoyable, a quick read, but just a little peculiar. Refreshingly, it wasn't the whole, "you can lose it when you're in love with that one person" message like I thought it might turn out to be.
Lauredhel
This book is so, so much better than its cover. It's also bound to end up on more than a few Banned Books lists for the on-screen sex, which has been bleached out of a lot of other YA books. The concept is rather blah, but the book rises above it. Check it out - it's worth it, for genuinely likable characters, authentic and complicated teenage female sexuality, and a warmth at its heart.
MelbourneSharonB
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
A bit ho hum chick flick - so about that expression, but really. The focus is a group of year 12 girls who set themselves the goal of losing their virginity before schoolies. The redeeming feature was that at least one of the girls sees the folly in this and shows a bit more depth in her personality.
Mollyflowers
Aug 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is why I generally avoid contemporary young adult. This book makes me think the author is stuck in the 1970s or when it was popular to write about losing virginity. I thought modern literature for teens had evolved past Judy Blume. Not my cup of tea, sorry. I like my books a little more progressive.
Trisha
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love that Lawrinson is tackling a contemporary setting (again?).

The four girls have distinct voices, divergent problems but there is a clear, connecting thread weaving its way through the separate narratives, and Lawrinson navigates the delicate topic with humour and insight.

Really enjoyed this very funny, but very warm-hearted novel.

Not So Young YA B...: September - Losing It 2 17 Sep 03, 2014 12:54PM

• The Reluctant Hallelujah
  • Love-Shy
  • The Telling (Disharmony, #1)
  • Night Beach
  • The Industry (The Industry, #1)
  • Alaska
  • Everything Left Unsaid
  • Preloved
  • Indigo Girls (Girlfriend Fiction, #2)
  • Queen of the Night (This is Shyness, #2)
  • Silhouette
  • Holier Than Thou
  • Pan's Whisper
  • Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale
  • Ishmael and the Hoops of Steel
  • Rumour Has It (Girl Heart Boy, #2)
  • Untidy Towns
  • Leaving Jetty Road
Julia Lawrinson is an Australian writer of children's and young adult fiction. Her debut novel Obsession (Fremantle Press, 2001) won the Western Australian Premier's Prize for Young Adult Writing: since then her work has been shortlisted for numerous awards. Her latest book for children was the Flyaway Girls (Puffin 2015). Her latest book for young adults is Before You Forget (PenguinRandomHouse 2 ...more