Jump to ratings and reviews

The Psychopathology of Everyday Life

Parapraxes, that is to say, everyday errors such as slips of the tongue, forgetting names and misreadings, had a special fascination for Freud, enabling him to extend to normal mental life the discoveries he had first made in connection with neuroses. This book is a comprehensive analysis of such errors and shows a penetrating insight into complex human behaviour, explained in terms readily grasped by the lay mind.

This edition supersedes the Brill translation first published in 1914 and reprinted nineteen times. It was commissioned for the Standard Edition of Freud's works published by the Hogarth Press and the Institute of Psychoanalysis. The Brill translation had "modified and substituted some of the author's cases by examples comprehensible to the English-speaking reader." This new version is an exact rendering of the German text, with explanations where linguistic differences occur. It incorporates new material added by Freud to the later German editions and is almost half as long gain as the former English version.

116 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 1901

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sigmund Freud

2,344 books6,954 followers
Dr. Sigismund Freud (later changed to Sigmund) was a neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, who created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality. He is regarded as one of the most influential—and controversial—minds of the 20th century.

In 1873, Freud began to study medicine at the University of Vienna. After graduating, he worked at the Vienna General Hospital. He collaborated with Josef Breuer in treating hysteria by the recall of painful experiences under hypnosis. In 1885, Freud went to Paris as a student of the neurologist Jean Charcot. On his return to Vienna the following year, Freud set up in private practice, specialising in nervous and brain disorders. The same year he married Martha Bernays, with whom he had six children.

Freud developed the theory that humans have an unconscious in which sexual and aggressive impulses are in perpetual conflict for supremacy with the defences against them. In 1897, he began an intensive analysis of himself. In 1900, his major work 'The Interpretation of Dreams' was published in which Freud analysed dreams in terms of unconscious desires and experiences.

In 1902, Freud was appointed Professor of Neuropathology at the University of Vienna, a post he held until 1938. Although the medical establishment disagreed with many of his theories, a group of pupils and followers began to gather around Freud. In 1910, the International Psychoanalytic Association was founded with Carl Jung, a close associate of Freud's, as the president. Jung later broke with Freud and developed his own theories.

After World War One, Freud spent less time in clinical observation and concentrated on the application of his theories to history, art, literature and anthropology. In 1923, he published 'The Ego and the Id', which suggested a new structural model of the mind, divided into the 'id, the 'ego' and the 'superego'.

In 1933, the Nazis publicly burnt a number of Freud's books. In 1938, shortly after the Nazis annexed Austria, Freud left Vienna for London with his wife and daughter Anna.

Freud had been diagnosed with cancer of the jaw in 1923, and underwent more than 30 operations. He died of cancer on 23 September 1939.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
362 (6%)
1 star
112 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 282 reviews
Profile Image for Jan-Maat.
1,525 reviews1,772 followers
Read
April 26, 2020
I felt reading that perhaps the best review would be to simply refer to this picture.

This because Freud in this book is pointing towards a range of everyday phenomena: forgetfulness, slips of the tongue or pen, mis-printings, misreadings, inadvertent actions, and asserting that they are not what they appear. For social reasons we class these things as forgetfulness or accidents, but in some cases, such as the ones Freud describes and explains in this book, there is purpose and meaning.

It was a fun book to read, partly because many of the stories and examples of Freudian slips were funny, and partly because it sparked off reminiscences, many of which like putting the keys to the fire proof safe in my pocket and taking them home over the weekend rather than back in the key cabinet where they belonged would amuse no one other than myself.

One theme of Freud's psychology is how it emerges from his reading of literature in general, but from culture more generally, he is in his writings making explicit what we already subconsciously understand - some of the points he makes are literally proverbial. On the other hand one can see in this grounds for the rejection of Freud, generally because we rely on fictions and lies to get through our daily lives, and professionally one can hear some people shouting beyond the pages that one can't learn about human psychology by reading Shakespeare and Goethe! No! To learn about human psychology one has to put rats in a cage and see if they prefer to drink a morphine solution or sugar water once you give them electric shocks, or take a monkey baby away from its mother and see if it prefers a wire replacement mother from which they get food, or a wire replacement mother covered in towelling when you frighten it!

I felt the text was in many ways a mirror to Freud and perhaps more autobiographical than he (consciously) wanted. It is like other Freud books I have read relentlessly convivial full of friends, colleagues and conversation, this I imagine was the life that Freud wanted to live but as a Jew who had come to the big city as a child from the provinces, who found himself in his development of psychoanalysis outside the mainstream of Viennese professional society, he must have had many lonely years. And since many of the anecdotes are drawn from his own experiences he shares with us evidence of his frustrations, of feeling under valued, slighted, and ignored. There's a sense that he wanted to talk about sex, anti-semitism, money - but that all those topics (and no doubt many others too) were socially unacceptable, and so pop up, corks in water, in curious ways - in Freudian slips.

"Those symptomatic actions that can be observed in almost inexhaustible profusion in both the healthy and the sick deserve our interest for several reasons. They often give the doctor valuable help in finding his way in new or unfamiliar circumstances, and they are extremely revealing to the observer of human nature, sometimes uncovering even more than he wanted to know. Anyone with a good understanding of them must sometimes feel like King Solomon, said in oriental legend to know the language of animals." (p.191) Could it be that Freud describes his own feelings in this passage and those of his circle - we, as students of human nature, can now read a person sometimes before they say a word. This legendary sill of cold reading would have allowed the august Freud to have become a great palm reader or clairvoyant, his words also put me in mind of someone else with remarkably similar skills - Sherlock Holmes. His skills were derived by Conan Doyle from one of his instructors at medical school. Doctors at the turn of the nineteenth century, lacking the tools and technologies that we are used to, had to be far more alert to their patients it seems.

This was a new translation by the late Anthea Bell (famous to me for translations of various Asterix stories) that aimed to avoid the terminology developed for and by English speaking Freudian psychoanalysts, I think this helped to produce a more approachable text.
Profile Image for Luís.
1,793 reviews433 followers
October 1, 2022
Freud published "Psychopathology of Everyday Life" quite early in his career. The author details the omissions, slips, errors and blunders, which are involuntary but have an essential hidden meaning. According to Freud, they are all the tip of the iceberg constituted by the set of repressed ideas. Therefore, the patient's work on these anomalies is the best way to discover some representations of his unconscious.
This book is essential on a theoretical level, but for the average reader, it can seem a little tedious.
Profile Image for Rick.
64 reviews3 followers
June 2, 2008
I learned why I have lost so many umbrellas in my life. Why I try to open my office door with my house key. Now, why should my hats and caps have half-lives of less than a year? Where is that mosquito control association cap I got from the World's Leading Authority? Freud pretty much convinced me that what my grandma told me - "Lost objects go to the Moon" - is not true. Venus, maybe.
Profile Image for Michael A..
412 reviews69 followers
July 12, 2019
Brilliant and accessible, demonstrating a wide variety of examples and phenomena that are posited by Freud as essentially repressed/unconscious associations coming to the forefront (i.e. the first number that pops into your head isn't really "random", the classic "Freudian slip" [translated as speech-blunder here], when you forget the name of something but "know you'll recognize it when you see it", etc.)

Fundamentally changed my outlook on the psyche and got me into the world of psychoanalysis...
Profile Image for Kaplumbağa Felsefecisi.
441 reviews65 followers
January 21, 2016
Hepimizin her gün başına gelen dil sürçmelerimizin anlamını, aklımızdakilerin nasıl direk dile yansıdığına dair açıklamaları oldukça aydınlatıcıydı. Düşündürücü bir kitap ve uzun süredir Freud'dan okuduğum ve yararlı bulduğum, çok da geç kalmadığım için sevindiğim bir kitaptı. Bir yerde, iş yerinde çoğunlukla yanıbaşımda olmasını seçemediğim insanlarla bir aradayken, bu kadar davranış ve cümleleri apaçık eden bir okuma yapmak iyi geldi diyebilirim.
Profile Image for Maureen.
48 reviews1 follower
May 18, 2013
Surprisingly good.

Now that we live in a post-Fruedian universe - it is very interesting to go back and see how it all came about - this book was very readable, the stories he tells, he tells well. It's not always easy to catch everything he is getting at - but in general a very good thesis.

i don't go all the way with his ideas, and he was pedantic, a little Victorian demigod, but all the same fun to read.

Profile Image for Aurimas  Gudas.
171 reviews41 followers
August 28, 2022
Nemėgstu aš to Froido, perskaičiau iš pagarbos klasikui. Dažniausiai nagrinėjami suklydimai, kalbos klaidos.
Profile Image for Oguz Akturk.
271 reviews404 followers
December 4, 2021
YouTube kitap kanalımda Freud'un hayatı, mutlaka okunması gereken kitapları ve kronolojik okuma sırası hakkında bilgi edinebilirsiniz: youtu.be/63ikZqbdnAA

"Sigmund Freud kitaplarına nereden başlamalıyım? Freud kitaplarını hangi yayınevinden okumalıyım? Freud'un anlattığı şeyler tamamen cinsellikten mi ibaret?" şeklinde sorular soruyorsanız doğru incelemedesiniz demektir...

Aylardır hazırlamak istediğim ve aylardır da yine benden yoğun şekilde beklenen "Freud kitapları okuma rehberi"me hoşgeldiniz. Bu inceleme yüzlerce sayfanın ve sayısız içselleştirmenin ekranlarınıza bir öz olarak yansımasıdır.

Öncelikle kendimize bir soru sormamız gerekir. Sigmund Freud neden önemlidir? Şu an psikoloji bölümünün uzmanlık haline gelmesinde, psikolojiye ilgi duyan dünya çapında milyonlarca insan olmasında Freud isminin nasıl bir önemi vardır? İşte tam da bu kitabın başlangıcında böyle bir bilgiye rastlıyoruz:

"Düşleri ilk kez yorumlamış olan, çocukluk cinselliği olgusunu ilk kez kabul etmiş, birincil ve ikincil düşünce süreçleri arasında ilk kez ayrım yapmış, yani bilinçdışı aklı ilk kez bizim için gerçek kılmış bir adam.” [Günlük Yaşamın Psikopatolojisi, s. 24]

Yani artık bu adama "bilimsellikten uzak", "dediklerinin hepsi çürütüldü", "düşündüğü şeylerin bütün dayanağı cinsellik", "dediği çoğu şey yanlış bilgilerden oluşuyor" gibisinden şeyler demenize gerek yok. Şu an psikoloji bilimine psikoloji dememizin en büyük sebeplerinden biri bu adamın çalışmaları zaten. İtirazı olan var mı buna?

Eğer Freud'un anlattıklarının sadece cinsellikten ve libidodan ibaret olduğunu da düşünüyorsanız büyük bir yanılgı içerisindesiniz. İnsanın iç dünyasının gerçekten bu kadar dar olduğunu hiçbir zaman düşünmedim, keza Freud da öyle düşünmüyor arkadaşlar. Çünkü Freud'un da dediği gibi:

“Oysa durum hiç de sanıldığı gibi değil; cinsel gereksinim ve cinsel yoksunluk, nevrozların mekanizmasında rol oynayan etkenlerden ancak biridir.” [Psikanaliz Üzerine, s. 31]

Eğer Sigmund Freud kitapları konusunda hiçbir bilginiz yoksa başlangıç olarak önerdiğim Louis Breger'ın Freud Görüntünün Ortasındaki Karanlık Freud biyografisinden sonra devam etmeniz gereken ilk nokta Günlük Yaşamın Psikopatolojisi adlı kitap. Bu kitapta uyanıkken bilinçaltımızın bilinç seviyesine gelmesini okuyabilecekken, Psikanalize Giriş kitabında da uykularımız sırasında bilinçaltımızın bize oynadığı oyunlarla tanışma fırsatı bulabiliyorsunuz.

Ayrıca belirtmem gereken bir diğer konu da, Freud'un kitle psikolojisi yönelimli kitaplarını birey psikolojisi içeren kitaplarından daha çok sevmiş olmam. Yani Kitle Psikolojisi, Bir Yanılsamanın Geleceği ve Uygarlığın Huzursuzluğu gibi kitapları kendi adıma çok daha ufuk açıcı bulduğumu söylemem gerek.

İsterseniz bütün bu yazdıklarımı ve diğer detayları bir video olarak da izleyebilirsiniz: youtu.be/63ikZqbdnAA

Benim önerdiğim mutlaka okunması gereken en önemli kitaplar sırası:

1- Günlük Yaşamın Psikopatolojisi (Payel Yayınları)
2- Psikanalize Giriş: Rüya (Cem Yayınevi)
3- Nevrozların Genel Kuramı (Cem Yayınevi)
4- Cinsellik Üzerine (Say Yayınları)
5- Haz İlkesinin Ötesinde Ben ve İd (Metis Yayınları)
6- Kitle Psikolojisi (Cem Yayınevi)
7- Totem ve Tabu (Cem Yayınevi)
8- Bir Yanılsamanın Geleceği (Say Yayınları)
9- Uygarlığın Huzursuzluğu (Cem Yayınevi)

Ek olarak okuyabileceğiniz bazı biyografik ve diğer kitaplar:
- Louis Breger, Freud - Görüntünün Ortasındaki Karanlık
- Freud & Jung & Adler, Psikanaliz Açısından Edebiyat
- Erich Fromm, Freud Düşüncesinin Büyüklüğü ve Sınırları

Daha çok okurun bu rehberden faydalanabilmesi için bu gönderiyi paylaşabilirsiniz. Keyifli ve Freud'un bilinçdışı ile bilinç arasında kurduğu köprülerde kendi iç katmanlarınızı da keşfedebileceğiniz meraklı okumalar dilerim.
Profile Image for Alex Csicsek.
78 reviews4 followers
November 29, 2010
Yeah yeah yeah, Frued has been discredited by over half a century of physiological study, and his theories are filled with holes and contradictions even when taken on their own terms, but come on... this stuff is fun.

The Psychopathology of Everyday Life is an interesting, accessible book demonstrating the existence of the psyche in the most mundane of circumstances, such as when having a conversation or trying to recall a name. Each chapter deals with the different manifestations of the psyche through a collection of short case studies, and is followed by a discussion of what each instance can teach about the inner workings of the mind.

The beauty of this particular book is that it is one of the least technical of his four main works on psychoanalysis. It is not only accessibly written, but the commonness and simplicity of the case studies make for the same sort of reading one would find in a book from Oliver Sachs: intriguing little stories in which the reader cannot help but to try to figure out the puzzle on their own. It may not be the sort of rigorous study that characterizes the field today, but it's an intriguing way to think about the individual which provides plenty of insights into what we are and how we see ourselves.

And that's why people should continue to read Freud. He encourages us to engage in a form of analytical thinking which can only sharpen the intellect.
Profile Image for Martyna Antonina.
224 reviews66 followers
October 16, 2022
3,5☆

Tak interesujące zagadnienie jak pojęcie przypadkowości - a także związane z nim ludzkie pomyłki - można było spsychologizować w znacznie bardziej sensowny i uporządkowany sposób. I to jest mój główny zarzut do tej książki, bo nie dość, że funkcjonuje bardziej jako zlepek anegdot pobieżnie tłumaczących zjawisko, ta okraszone jest przy tym koślawą i momentami niezrozumiałą podbudową języka (dosłownie i w przenośni, bo język faktycznie stoi tutaj pod wszystkim innym w hierarchii wartości).
Natomiast przy dozie skupienia można wyczytać z tych psychopatologicznych dywagacji kilka naprawdę interesujących faktów na temat ludzkiego umysłu. Dla mnie może nie zawsze przekonujących, ale bez wątpienia skłaniających do przemyśleń.
Czuję, że kończę tę książkę z odrobinę powiększonym zapleczem wiedzy i zaspokojoną ciekawością (która przy okazji zweryfikowała znany mi obraz Freuda funkcjonujący w zbiorowej świadomości). Ale po tak solidnej dawce literówek i wybijających z rytmu błędów w tekście potrzebuję teraz jakiejś językowej rekompensaty w postaci lepiej zredagowanego tworu.
Profile Image for Shyam.
225 reviews156 followers
September 21, 2019
Once I had corrected his mistake, I asked him to explain it, and received the usual rather surprised answers: surely everyone had a right to make a slip of the tongue now and then, it was only a coincidence, there was nothing behind it, etc. I replied that every slip of the tongue was made for some reason . . . He added that a man like me, meticulously studying every tiny detail, was positively dangerous, and then he suddenly recollected another appointment and left us.
__________
If one of my family complains of having bitten his or her tongue, pinched a finger, or so on, I am inclined to ask: ‘What did you do that for?’ Instead of offering the sympathy expected of me.

__________
Forgetting, Slips, Inadvertant Actions, Mistakes; these do not just happen by chance, Freud explains, but there are reasons (repression, anxiety, etc.) for most, if not each instance of them.

In each chapter, Freud gives numerous accounts, both first- and second-hand, of how different types of psychopathologies of everyday life can be explained by examining the subject's state of mind at the time of each incident.

See a more extensive example below:
Last summer—again while I was away on holiday—I renewed my acquaintance with a young man who had an academic education and, as I soon realised, was familiar with several of my psychological publications. I no longer remember how we broached the subject but we were talking about the social standing of the race to which we both belong, and he, being an ambitious man, was deploring the fact that his generation, as he put it, was condemned to waste away unable to develop its talents or satisfy its needs. He concluded his passionately felt remarks with that famous line of Virgil in which the unfortunate Dido urges posterity to avenge her on Aeneas: Exoriare . . . or rather that was how he meant to conclude, for he could not finish the quotation, and sought to conceal an obvious gap in his memory by rearranging the words: Exoriar(e) ex nostris ossisbus ultor! At last he said, in some annoyance:

—Please don’t smile in that ironic way as if you were relishing my difficulty—you might help me instead. There’s something the matter with the line. How does the whole thing really go?
—I’ll be happy to tell you, I replied, and quoted the line as it really runs:
Exoriar(e) aliquis nostris ex ossibus ultor! [May someone rise, as avenger, from my bones!]
—How stupid of me to forget a word like that. But you’re always saying that people don’t forget things for no reason at all. Can you tell me how I came to forget the impersonal pronoun
aliquis?
I readily accepted the challenge, hoping for a contribution to my collection, so I said
—We can get to the root of it at once if you’ll tell me everything that occurs to you when you concentrate on the word you forgot, without any definite intention in mind but honestly and exercising no
critical judgement.
—All right, I think of the ridiculous idea of dividing the word into two parts, like this:
a and liquis.
—What does that suggest to you?
—I’ve no idea.
—So what else occurs to you?
—Well it goes on like this:
relics—liquidation—liquidity—fluid. Does that tell you any more?
—No, not by a long way. But go on.
—Well, he continued with a sarcastic laugh, I think of
Simone of Trento, whose relics I saw a couple of years ago in a church in that city. I think of the accusations of ritual sacrifice once again being levelled against the Jews these days, and I think of the work by Kleinpaul, who sees all the alleged victims as incarnations of the Saviour, new editions of him, so to speak.
—That idea isn’t entirely unconnected with the subject we were discussing before you forgot the Latin word.
—You’re right. And then I think of a piece I read recently in an Italian newspaper. I think the headline was:
The Opinions of Saint Augustine on Women. What do you make of that?
—I’m still waiting to see.
—Well, now I come to something that quite certainly has no connection with our subject.
—I did ask you to abstain from any critical judgement.
—All right, I know. Well, I remember a fine-looking old gentleman whom I met on my travels last week. A real original who looks like a great bird of prey. His name is
Benedikt, in case that’s of any interest.
—At least we now have a whole series of saints and church fathers:
St Simon, St Augustine, St Benedikt. And I believe one of the church fathers was called Origen. What’s more, three of those names are first names, like Paul, part of the surname Kleinpaul.
—Next I think of St Januarius and the miracle of his blood—but I imagine all this is just mechanical association.
—Never mind that; St Januarius and St Augustine are both connected with the calendar. Can you remind me of the miracle of the saint’s blood?
—Oh, surely you know that! There’s a phial of the blood of St Januarius which is kept in a Neapolitan church and miraculously
liquifies on a certain east-day. The people think highly of this miracle and get very upset if it is late to occur, as it once was under French occupation. At the time the commanding general—or am I wrong there? Was it Garibaldi?—well, he took the print aside and let him know, indicating the soldiers posted outside in a very meaningful manner, that he very much hoped the miracle would soon take place. And sure enough, so it did . . .
—Well go on. Why do you hesitate?
—I’ve just thought of something . . . but it’s too private to tell you . . . anyway, I can’t see any connection, so there’s no need to mention it.
—Leave me to make the connections. I can’t force you to tell me something if you’d rather not, but in that case you can’t ask me to tell you how you came to forget the word
aliquis either.
—Really? You think not? Very well, I suddenly thought of a lady who might soon be giving me news that would be very unwelcome to both of us.
—You mean she’s missed her period?
—How on earth did you guess that?
—It’s not so difficult. You gave me plenty of background information. Remember the
calendar saints, the liquefaction of the blood on a certain day, the agitation when it failed to occur, the overt threat to the effect that the miracle must happen, or else . . . The fact is that you reworked the miracle of St Januarius to make it an ingenious reference to the lady’s period.
—I had no idea. Do you really think I couldn’t come up with that little word
aliquis just because I’m waiting anxiously for news?
—I’m sure of it. Remember the way you separated it into
a-liquis, and then the associations with relics, liquidation, fluid. And need I point out how St Simon the child martyr, of whom the relics reminded you, fits into this context?
—I’d rather you didn’t;t. I hope you won’t take these ideas of mine seriously—that is, if I ever really had them. In return I’ll confess that the lady is Italian, and I went to Naples with her. But couldn’t it all be coincidence?
—I must leave you to your own judgement to decide whether you can explain away all these connections by assuming confidence. But I can tell you that any similar case, if you care to offer it for analysis, will lead you to equally remarkable “coincidences”.

Joyce and Proust were two authors who were in my mind throughout reading: the former with his one- or few-word sentences, where each word bears degrees of association to the next, replicating more concisely what Freud in many of his examples attempts to squeeze out of his patients in the form of free-association; the latter in his many oceanic tangents (of a much deeper, extensive, and more meaningful nature) into associations via memories.

Maybe our everyday psychopathologies have no explanation at all; but what if they do? What if every single instance can be explained?
__________
I will add that the lady had sufficient real reasons to wish her children dead. They gave her no joy, only sorrow, they severely limited her freedom of action, and she had given up any idea of happiness in love for their sake.

Anyone watching his fellow men eating will notice some very interesting and instructive symptomatic actions.

Girls who are proud of their beautiful hair arrange their combs and hairpins so skilfully that their hair is bound to come down in the middle of a conversation.
Profile Image for Shahine Ardeshir.
169 reviews
June 18, 2014
Since Psychology was my undergraduate major, I am no stranger to Sigmund Freud. So you could argue that I had some idea of what I would be getting into when I picked this book up.

Unfortunately, that didn't help make it any more enjoyable.

I was reminded repeatedly of a line I read in one of our Psychology text books, which pointed out while some of Freud's ideas did in fact shape the way we see therapy, a lot of his work did more to propel dissension (and hence encourage more people to join the conversation) than anything else. Much of what was written in this book - and most of it revolved around the proverbial 'Freudian slip' and its psychological origins - was beyond my ability to relate to, and I found myself disagreeing violently with the fundamental approach of the author, who sees us as repressed dark beings, whose every outward behaviour seems linked to some sinister underlying impulse in our unconscious (usually to do with violence, sex or death). I realized as I read how much more I'm inclined to endorse the views of Skinner (we are products of our environment and conditioning) and particularly Carl Rogers' humanism (at our core, if given a safe and accepting environment, every person works towards being the best version of themselves they can be), and how I disagree with Freud at a very basic philosophical level. So while I got a lot out of this book, it was in aversion to the content.

As a piece of work itself, the language is archaic and the cultural references out of date - obvious, I suppose, given that it was written in Vienna in the late 19th century. Conspiracy theories abound, and by the second or third chapter, I found myself tiring of the repeated insinuations that every slip of the tongue or loss of memory has linkages to something far more bleak that the person is repressing in their unconscious.

So while my respect for the man remains, this is not one of his better works, in my limited opinion, and is definitely avoidable.
Profile Image for Anna.
160 reviews29 followers
February 9, 2016
Finished it finally. Jung's next.
I don't think I'll read Freud again. Why? Because I've had the impression that Freud's full of himself, the quantity of the examples are too damn much and the theories... I have to admit, some of them were interesting and made me think, but most of them are just annoying. The whole book is annoying and doesn't make any sense. I cannot believe most of psychology is based on this guy's thoughts.

And I have another thing I have to mention, but it's not Freud's fault. The way the Hungarian edition is built up simply made me angry. It's not consequent at all.
Profile Image for BellaGBear.
572 reviews52 followers
September 11, 2017
Interesting book with a lot of theories that make you think about little memory quirks in day to day life. I did not agree with everything, but that is also not really the point with books like that. The fact that theories are explained well is more important. Also he uses a lot of examples to explain his points, which was very functional in my opinion.
Profile Image for Oksana Uskova.
349 reviews65 followers
November 24, 2021
Що таке "обмовка за Фрейдом?" Це саме та книга, у якій Фрейд розмірковує про механізм забування імен, іноземних слів, словосполучень, подій, намірів та вражень, а також про обмовки та помилки при письмі та читанні. Звісно, він розглядає все це виключно з точки зору "психології", тож так чи інакше доходить у висновку до "незручної правди".

Як це виглядає насправді? Фрейд "підганяє" пояснення під будь який випадок, який описує. Особливо це помітно на його математичних махінаціях із "випадковим числом".

Стосовно забування якихось речей - як щодо такої причини, як перенасичення інформації? Або травми мозку? Або ще мільйон НЕ психологічних причин.

І про жіноче питання. Я розумію, що "істерія" свого часу була досить модною "хворобою", але Фрейд особливо любить діагностувати істерію у жінок. Наприклад, він описує своє НЕЗАДОВОЛЕННЯ через помилку у діагнозі 14-річної дівчинки, якій поставив діагноз "істерія", а та візьми і помри від саркоми через 2 місяці. Упс! (Це, до речі, далеко не єдиний випадок неправильного діагнозу у цій книжці). Вже не кажучи про його теорію, що жінка, яку зґвалтували, таємно ХОТІЛА бути зґвалтованою, бо інакше у ґвалтівника б нічого не вийшло. Щось про те, що "гаманець з грошима жінки захищають краще ніж власну честь". WTF?

Фрейд розповідає цікаві випадки із свої практики (які в наш час називають "курйозами") і підводить під них "психологічне обґрунтування". Не те щоб це було не цікаво читати, але сьогодні психологія крокує далеко вперед. Наприклад, не лікує "хворобу онанізму" у підлітка. Дякувати!
Profile Image for Pierre Giannone.
137 reviews1 follower
May 8, 2022
Leggere Freud è sempre una piacevole esperienza anche per i non addetti ai lavori, per merito della sua grande abilità espositiva e della sua arguta ironia. Non leggevo i suoi scritti da tempo e Psicopatologia della vita quotidiana è stato per me un nuovo incontro con un vecchio amico.

Il libro si propone di analizzare gli errori e le dimenticanze che tutti noi commettiamo nel corso di una giornata: atti mancati, lapsus linguae, lapsus calami (o lapsus digiti, in questo secolo). Sigmund Freud cerca di rintracciare in essi, e anche negli errori apparentemente più insignificanti, motivazioni psichiche: una parte dei nostri processi psichici inconsci emerge da queste piccole sbadataggini, spesso andando a rivelare le nostre reali e inconfessabili intenzioni (un esempio, molto semplice, su tutti: dimenticare ripetutamente di compiere un'azione può indicare la nostra assenza di volontà di compierla).

La trattazione di Freud è resa efficace dalla prevalenza degli esempi pratici, con il racconto di aneddoti personali o di pazienti e colleghi, rispetto alle spiegazioni teoriche. In più di un esempio vi capiterà di rintracciare un episodio successo anche a voi, ne sono certo.
Lettura consigliata perché apre un nuovo punto di vista sulle piccolezze che costellano la vita quotidiana.
Profile Image for Miguel Soto.
438 reviews47 followers
March 14, 2017
No por nada este fue mi libro-anzuelo al psicoanálisis. La mejor manera de dar cuenta del inconsciente es dejándonos ver sus triquiñuelas aparentemente inocentes, esas que surgen cuando decimos lo que (no) queríamos decir, cuando se nos olvida lo que (no) queríamos hacer, cuando dijimos el nombre equivocado, en fin...

Cada relectura de Freud abre un campo nuevo, aunque sea el campo que se aró al inicio de todo.
Profile Image for Jack.
449 reviews43 followers
May 28, 2018
I have a confused perception of Freud, something this book exacerbated rather than demystified. I'm not a psychologist, but I am someone that's been alive, interested and at least semi-observant of human behaviour for over twenty years. To that end, I feel as though I should be able to come to some conclusions about what people are like, their individuality, what drives them, innermost emotions etc. One has to, to a degree, understand people just to get on with living.

That 'degree' is what's so puzzling. If psychology is (if only partially) understood to be a science, then psychologists must have some authoritative knowledge of human behaviours. One has to trust in authorities in some sense, if not to wallow in absurdity. Gravity has an effect on me even if I don't believe in it. I understand that electricity is involved in powering my laptop, even if I don't know how any of it works.
My perception of scientific knowledge is incongruent with my perceptions of psychology. I understand that capital P Psychologists today hold Freud to little regard, that many of his theories are debunked. If I read a book like this, and find it compelling and decent at offering explanations for minor mishaps and oddities of everyday life, am I convincing myself of a falsehood? Yet significant ideas from Freud are tossed about and influence various aspects of pop culture, aren't they? To say nothing of the more explicit Freudian inspiration found in modernist literature while he was alive.
It feels wrong to be mistrustful of perceived authorities deriding Freud, but for the moment, I'm reading Freud and not his detractors, so I can only understand his works as being interesting and potentially helpful in interpreting aspects of my consciousness and that of others.

This book (to finally mention it specifically) focuses on psychological minutia - the Freudian slip, forgetting names, etc. so I didn't find it the most helpful authoritative guide to What Freudianism Is so I can follow that up with What Freudianism Isn't, but it does seem to say many things that I feel are taken for granted by me or by others I meet. He uses lots of examples from his own experience and that of others - probably more than is necessary to explain his ideas; I certainly skimmed through a few. It's quite an accessible book, if a little clumsy in translation, it being a book about mistaken words - one would not need to look at so many footnotes in German.

It isn't accessible in the sense that one, like me, sceptical about Freudian theory yet sceptical also about that inherent, learned scepticism, will come to any ready conclusions. The more I try to articulate my apprehensions of guiding narratives of human behaviour, sanity and madness the more immediately I feel I must conclude by saying 'I believe in nothing, I know nothing, it's all relative,' but I don't believe that at all. Who would? If I can't come to any decent conclusion myself, my inclination is to say 'maybe it is impossible to make conclusions', but that thought is both lazy and discouraging. I have a lot more reading and thinking to do.
Profile Image for Nilakshi Pathak.
110 reviews2 followers
March 31, 2022
After reading the book, I have started feeling that Freud is overrated. Filled with plenty of examples, the entire book can be summarized in two lines:
1. Your brain is working hard to repress all the unpleasant memories.
2. If there is a truth out there and you really want to seek it, you will find it.
The association technique used by Freud allows anyone to link behavior and actions of a person with an unconscious motive. Initially, the book was interesting but then, the conclusions started becoming repetitive.
Profile Image for Brandon.
46 reviews3 followers
May 17, 2007
I read this as a required reading in one of my classes in graduate school (which may have something to do with how I rated it). At the end of the book I was left wondering if anyone would ever suggest this book if the authors name wasn't Freud.
Profile Image for Antonio Papadourakis.
569 reviews14 followers
March 24, 2021
Ξαναδιαβάζοντας έναν κλασικό, που ενώ πριν 35 χρόνια με είχε γοητεύσει, τώρα τον θεωρώ ξεπερασμένο, και ειδικά στο συγκεκριμένο έργο δίνει ερμηνείες τραβηγμένες κυριολεκτικά από τα μαλλιά θυμίζοντας ιστορίες με τον Sherlock Holmes, όπου ο δολοφόνος ξεσκεπάζεται από μια ασήμαντη λεπτομέρεια και που συνήθως δεν θα στεκόταν σε κάποιο σύγχρονο δικαστήριο σαν τεκμήριο ενοχής. Και ο ίδιος πολλές φορές διερωτάται αν όντως ισχύει η ερμηνεία που έχει δώσει... Νομίζω από τα πιο αδύναμα έργα του (βεβαίως ένας ψυχαναλυτής μπορεί να ερμηνεύσει την κριτική μου σαν αντίσταση!).
"...οι πρώτες παιδικές αναμνήσεις ενός ατόμου συχνά φαίνονται να διατηρούν αυτό που είναι αδιάφορο και δευτερεύον, ενώ από τις σημαντικές, θεαματικές και συναισθηματικά φορτισμένες εντυπώσεις (γενικά, αλλά ασφαλώς όχι πάντα!) δε βρίσκεται ούτε ίχνος στη μνήμη του ενήλικα.... Οι αδιάφορες παιδικές αναμνήσεις οφείλουν την ύπαρξη τους σε μια διεργασία μετάθεσης. Είναι τα υποκατάστατα στην αναπαραγωγή άλλων, πραγματικά σημαντικών εντυπώσεων, η ανάπτυξη των οποίων μπορεί να αναπτυχθεί από αυτές μέσω της ψυχανάλυσης, η άμεση αναπαραγωγή τους ωστόσο παρεμποδίζεται από μια αντίσταση. Το γεγονός ότι τη διατήρηση τους δεν την οφείλουν στο δικό τους το περιεχόμενο, αλλά σε ένα άλλο, απωθημένο, δικαιολογεί την ονομασία 'καλυπτικές αναμνήσεις' με την οποία τις χαρακτήρισα."
"...η τάση για αυτοκτονία υπάρχει με μια ορισμένη ένταση σε πολύ περισσότερους ανθρώπους από εκείνους που τελικά αυτοκτονούν. Οι αυτοτραυματισμοί αποτελούν κατά κανόνα έναν συμβιβασμό ανάμεσα σε αυτή την ενόρμηση και στις δυνάμεις που δρουν ενάντια της."
"Είναι αδύνατον να συνθέσουμε με ανοησία σκόπιμα και αυθαίρετα."
"Πιστεύω στην πραγματικότητα ότι ένα μεγάλο κομμάτι της μυθολογικής κοσμοθεωρίας, το οποίο εκτείνεται έως και τις σύγχρονες θρησκείες, δεν είναι τίποτα άλλο από ψυχολογία που προβάλλεται στον εξωτερικό κόσμο."
Profile Image for Lena Rakhimova.
65 reviews2 followers
August 23, 2017
Эта книга стоит прочтения для лучшего понимания влияния наших сторонних мотиваций на наши действия, человек стремится всегда выдать правду и тело находит путь выразить это любым способом
Profile Image for Georgina.
75 reviews16 followers
February 15, 2022
My first reading of any Freud and I wasn't disappointed. I do wonder how much can be attributed to the subconscious and how much is a bit of a stretch, but the whole subject has definitely kept me thinking about the way in which the subconscious influences our behaviour. As someone who has limited knowledge of the field I found this easily comprehendible and enjoyable and I will be looking into further reading on the subject.
Profile Image for Amir.
26 reviews1 follower
March 31, 2022
من تفسیر رویا رو نخوندم با این حال فهمیدم کتاب رو البته یه زمینه ای از فروید داشتم.بسیار پیشنهاد میکنم اثار و اندیشه های زیگموند فروید از کینودو خونده بشه بعد این کتاب خونده بشه.بعد از این کتاب تفسیر رویا رو میخونم. در این کتاب فروید با مثال های فراوان انواع کنش پریشی ها—>لغزش های کلامی،فراموشی ها،اعمال نشانگر .خطاهای خواندن و نوشتن رو بررسی میکنه.متن کتاب رون هست و به جز دو تا تحلیل سنگین بقیه اش سبک هست.این رو بر عکس تمدن و ناخرسندی هایش ،فهمیدم.خدا بگم چیکار کنه اونی که اخرین کتاب فروید رو اول کار بم معرفی کرد.(همون تمدن و نا خرسندی ها رو میگم).فکر کنم زمان فروید خیلی عمل امار به اون صورت شکل نگرفته برا همین در کل کتاب های فروید از نظر اعلم امار چیزی مشاهده نمیکنید و بر این اساس خرده نگیرید.قضاوت کتاب با خودتون اگر خوندید و قانع نشدیدی(شاید فرایند سرکوب در شما بسیار شدید است😂)
Profile Image for Ennio.
17 reviews2 followers
September 21, 2012
Dopo aver covato per anni una certa avversione per la psicologia e gli psicologi in generale, principalmente grazie alla falsa idea che media e persone di dubbia intelligenza propinano a riguardo, mi sono lentamente avvicinato a questo mondo con un discreto interesse.
Da dove iniziare allora, se non da uno dei padri della psicologia moderna, per lo più da uno dei suoi testi che ho saputo essere di più semplice comprensione anche per chi non è studioso della materia?
Niente di più sbagliato.
Nonostante il testo sia effettivamente scorrevole, e i concetti dell'autore ben espressi tramite spiegazioni e numerosi esempi, quello che ho trovato è solo un insieme di tutti quei luoghi comuni sugli psicologi che finalmente mi ero scrollato di dosso.
Le connessioni che pone Freud tra lapsus e processi mentali sono a dir poco stiracchiati e poco attendibili, nonchè scientificamente privi di basi.
Le fonti sono a dir poco scandalose, inoltre per dimostrare le proprie tesi scade a tratti nei trucchi in cui si prodigano maghi e indovini televisivi: spinge le persone a parlare di determinati argomenti risalendo nella memoria a tentoni finchè non trova un argomento calzante e decide trattarsi della dimostrazione della sua tesi.
L'autore tende a generalizzare eccessivamente qualsiasi concetto e le conclusioni che trae riguardo i propri pazienti o persino le persone che incontra, dalle poche conversazioni con cui ci scambia, sono spesso frutto di banalizzazioni e pregiudizi.
Profile Image for Gytis Dovydaitis.
28 reviews4 followers
August 8, 2018
A couple of peculiar things happened a couple of days ago: during one of conversations I forgot Yves Klein's name, then I unintentionally postponed replying an important email by going to read a book, finally biting my tongue while eating a piece of commercially prepared bread. Seems that I should see a psychoanalyst... Freud argues that every action of ours has a subconscious motivation, thus non of them are random.

This book induces an unique increase in awareness: by observing yourself and your acquaintances you immediately start noticing various peculiarities in actions and thoughts, which previously yielded no interest. Now they are hints to inner stream of thought, what both uncovers some unpleasant psychic idiosyncrasies, and takes a huge amount of your inner though space. But the book shouldn't be taken for granted - Freud lacks statistical proof, most of his analyses are anecdotal in terms of contemporary science, hence my average rating. His style of writing, however, is mesmerizing, thus making this book an enjoyable reading experience, but how much of it is science is an open question.
Profile Image for Remo.
2,273 reviews125 followers
December 23, 2014
Empiezo a darme cuenta de que Freud fallaba y creo que sé dónde. El busilis es la aparente coincidecia iterada. En este libro explica mediante sus hipótesis psicoanalíticas (lo intenta al menos) los olvidos casuales, las faltas al hablar o escribir (lapsus linguae y lapsus calami, como dato curioso pero inútil), los errores simples... Su método falla. Siempre se ve capaz de hallar una relación entre el tema que le ocupa y algún hecho reciente que perturba al autor del fallo. Pero es que SIEMPRE hay, a posteriori, algo que permite explicar estos hechos. Si el autor se equivoca al decir la palabra "Pakistán", Freud recuerda que 22 minutos antes alguien había dicho "Aquí están", y eso hizo, 22 minutos depués, confundirse al que hablaba y decir "Akistán" en lugar de "Pakistán". Bullshit. Con razonamientos así cualquiera puede encontrar, dado un tiempo mínimamente largo, cualquier justificación para cualquier error. Freud era pseudociencia, disfrazada de ciencia.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 282 reviews