Start by marking “The Psychopathology of Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
The Psychopathology of Everyday Life

The Psychopathology of Everyday Life

In "The Psychopathology of Everyday Life" Freud examines the psychological basis for the forgetting of names and words, the misuse of words in speech and in writing, and other similiar errors. Freud's examination of the subject is extensively discussed through the use of anecdotes and examples. "The Psychopathology of Everyday Life" makes for one of Freud's more readable w ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Digireads.com (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Psychopathology of Everyday Life, please sign up.
Emily Rosewater why did you start and then stop reading, ask yourself - that's a main reason for reading it at all (there's no esoteric "charm" in it, anyway).

Rick
Jun 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I learned why I have lost so many umbrellas in my life. Why I try to open my office door with my house key. Now, why should my hats and caps have half-lives of less than a year? Where is that mosquito control association cap I got from the World's Leading Authority? Freud pretty much convinced me that what my grandma told me - "Lost objects go to the Moon" - is not true. Venus, maybe.
Yasemin Şahin
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hepimizin her gün başına gelen dil sürçmelerimizin anlamını, aklımızdakilerin nasıl direk dile yansıdığına dair açıklamaları oldukça aydınlatıcıydı. Düşündürücü bir kitap ve uzun süredir Freud'dan okuduğum ve yararlı bulduğum, çok da geç kalmadığım için sevindiğim bir kitaptı. Bir yerde, iş yerinde çoğunlukla yanıbaşımda olmasını seçemediğim insanlarla bir aradayken, bu kadar davranış ve cümleleri apaçık eden bir okuma yapmak iyi geldi diyebilirim.
Curt Bozif
Oct 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who read his Interpretation of Dreams
Shelves: psychoanalysis
How to make people really self-conscious when they drop, slip, miss-spell, forget, are late, or bump into something.
Alex Csicsek
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Yeah yeah yeah, Frued has been discredited by over half a century of physiological study, and his theories are filled with holes and contradictions even when taken on their own terms, but come on... this stuff is fun.

The Psychopathology of Everyday Life is an interesting, accessible book demonstrating the existence of the psyche in the most mundane of circumstances, such as when having a conversation or trying to recall a name. Each chapter deals with the different manifestations of the psyche t
Maureen
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good.

Now that we live in a post-Fruedian universe - it is very interesting to go back and see how it all came about - this book was very readable, the stories he tells, he tells well. It's not always easy to catch everything he is getting at - but in general a very good thesis.

i don't go all the way with his ideas, and he was pedantic, a little Victorian demigod, but all the same fun to read.

BellaGBear
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting book with a lot of theories that make you think about little memory quirks in day to day life. I did not agree with everything, but that is also not really the point with books like that. The fact that theories are explained well is more important. Also he uses a lot of examples to explain his points, which was very functional in my opinion.
Miguel Soto
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No por nada este fue mi libro-anzuelo al psicoanálisis. La mejor manera de dar cuenta del inconsciente es dejándonos ver sus triquiñuelas aparentemente inocentes, esas que surgen cuando decimos lo que (no) queríamos decir, cuando se nos olvida lo que (no) queríamos hacer, cuando dijimos el nombre equivocado, en fin...

Cada relectura de Freud abre un campo nuevo, aunque sea el campo que se aró al inicio de todo.
Jack
I have a confused perception of Freud, something this book exacerbated rather than demystified. I'm not a psychologist, but I am someone that's been alive, interested and at least semi-observant of human behaviour for over twenty years. To that end, I feel as though I should be able to come to some conclusions about what people are like, their individuality, what drives them, innermost emotions etc. One has to, to a degree, understand people just to get on with living.

That 'degree' is what's so
Anna
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finished it finally. Jung's next.
I don't think I'll read Freud again. Why? Because I've had the impression that Freud's full of himself, the quantity of the examples are too damn much and the theories... I have to admit, some of them were interesting and made me think, but most of them are just annoying. The whole book is annoying and doesn't make any sense. I cannot believe most of psychology is based on this guy's thoughts.

And I have another thing I have to mention, but it's not Freud's fault.
Lena Rakhimova
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Эта книга стоит прочтения для лучшего понимания влияния наших сторонних мотиваций на наши действия, человек стремится всегда выдать правду и тело находит путь выразить это любым способом
Joanne Freitas
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Por mais anos que passe, Freud sempre será Freud.
Shahine Ardeshir
Jun 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Since Psychology was my undergraduate major, I am no stranger to Sigmund Freud. So you could argue that I had some idea of what I would be getting into when I picked this book up.

Unfortunately, that didn't help make it any more enjoyable.

I was reminded repeatedly of a line I read in one of our Psychology text books, which pointed out while some of Freud's ideas did in fact shape the way we see therapy, a lot of his work did more to propel dissension (and hence encourage more people to join the
Ennio
Sep 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: filosofia, saggio
Dopo aver covato per anni una certa avversione per la psicologia e gli psicologi in generale, principalmente grazie alla falsa idea che media e persone di dubbia intelligenza propinano a riguardo, mi sono lentamente avvicinato a questo mondo con un discreto interesse.
Da dove iniziare allora, se non da uno dei padri della psicologia moderna, per lo più da uno dei suoi testi che ho saputo essere di più semplice comprensione anche per chi non è studioso della materia?
Niente di più sbagliato.
Nonosta
Brandon
May 12, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
I read this as a required reading in one of my classes in graduate school (which may have something to do with how I rated it). At the end of the book I was left wondering if anyone would ever suggest this book if the authors name wasn't Freud.
Yavuz
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1895 yılında ilk akademik kürsüsünden konuşmasını tamamlayıp indiği an, insanlığın eline insan zihnini belki de bütün çıplaklığı ile bıraktığı andı. Hatta, Fteud'u dinleyenler arasında bulunan nörologlar "bilimsel bir peri masalı" olarak yorumlamış o çıplaklığı, kıskançlıklarından. Lehinde ve aleyhinde yazılanlar, konuşulanlar bitmese de, ister bilimsel olsun ister bir peri masalı, tükenmeyen bir kaşif Freud amcamız.

Kitaptan "dalgınlık" ve "dejavu" ile ilgili görüşleri;

"Herkes çok sevdiği bir d
Andrei
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a clear shock if you're used to read peer-review studies with graphs and statistics.

I probably should've picked someone easier to get myself introduced into psychoanalysis but Freud really gives you a literal crash course into it, where you kinda get the feeling of it from the sheer frustration you get by his lack of classical science-y methods and achieving a somewhat undebatable conclusion with his "find the meaning in the hay stack" way of doing things.

Besides the total ignoranc
Marty Kausas
Jan 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for reading:
I desired to learn about why we are forgetful.

Result:
Freud proposed that we forget due to negative subconscious associations or because the word is not beneficial to our sexual reproduction.

This is all fine; however, his evidence for this not exhaustive and far-fetched. He draws only from personal conversations he has with people in passing and the associations he finds seem artificial.

This is a fairly negative review as I did not feel I got what I wanted out of the book, b
Gytis Dovydaitis
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: academic
A couple of peculiar things happened a couple of days ago: during one of conversations I forgot Yves Klein's name, then I unintentionally postponed replying an important email by going to read a book, finally biting my tongue while eating a piece of commercially prepared bread. Seems that I should see a psychoanalyst... Freud argues that every action of ours has a subconscious motivation, thus non of them are random.

This book induces an unique increase in awareness: by observing yourself and you
Ganesh Sanal
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
A word to everyone that's about to read this: This is not Psychiatry 101. The author's subconscious repressed the fact that there are non-psychiatric people like us exist.

The most excruciating read ever. Sigmund Freud is the most terrible author that I have ever came across. He may be a great psychiatrist but he is the kind of author that make you quit reading altogether. Phew...

description

Okay. Calm down...

description

This is something that lies between a research paper and a generic book. It's too technical to be c
Ricardo Acuña
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Psicopatología de la vida cotidiana, me pareció un libro interesante, que aunque las ideas expuestas por Freud han sido superadas, no deja de ser por ello un libro que invita a la reflexión. Está estructurado como una serie nutrida de historias de casos, muchos de ellos del propio Freud, sobre olvidos, equivocaciones, torpezas y actos fallidos. La última parte sobre el determinismo, la fe causal y la superstición es la parte más especulativa y un tanto filosófica, que me pareció muy interesante, ...more
Xander
Sep 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After showing how cases of hysteria (1895, with Joseph Breuer) and dreams (1899) are results of the interplay between the unconsciousness - which houses all our true wishes and urges - and the consciousness - which manifests only the morally accepted wishes and urges -, Sigmund Freud faced the difficult task to make his new revolutionary psychological science acceptable to both academic and popular circles. The problem? He used (1) non-representative data (mentally sick people; dreams) and (2) h ...more
Tatiana (DraCat)
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana (DraCat) by: ta.dra.la@gmail.com
Shelves: psy
Перечитывая Фрейда с немного другим, чем пять лет назад, багажом за плечами, понимаю, что раньше я не читала его книг. Взгляд студента всегда избирателен - выхватывает то, что нужно к зачету, реферату, вообще, что нужно. За этим теряется специфика текста. Научный текст - это особая стилистика. Но и к нему можно подходить как к художественному произведению. "Психопатология обыденной жизни" с этой точки зрения вызывает реакцию: "Какой интересный автор, где бы прикупить ещё пару книжечек". Между те ...more
Jana
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theory, psychology
Freud's work is foundational for understanding theory. Without reading his work, we can't possibly get all the references of the other theorists who followed. So... as part of my MFA program, we read the entire body of Freud's work.

I had a lot of resistance to Freud... mostly feminist critique. But to be fair, even the feminist theorists are grounded in at least an understanding of Freud (if not Freudian themselves). But about this book...

I guess I took issue with Freud's assumption of perfecti
Remo
Empiezo a darme cuenta de que Freud fallaba y creo que sé dónde. El busilis es la aparente coincidecia iterada. En este libro explica mediante sus hipótesis psicoanalíticas (lo intenta al menos) los olvidos casuales, las faltas al hablar o escribir (lapsus linguae y lapsus calami, como dato curioso pero inútil), los errores simples... Su método falla. Siempre se ve capaz de hallar una relación entre el tema que le ocupa y algún hecho reciente que perturba al autor del fallo. Pero es que SIEMPRE ...more
Leonardo
Nov 19, 2015 marked it as to-keep-ref  ·  review of another edition
La represión tiene que ser tan fuerte porque el sexo mismo es muy fuerte. ¿Qué sociedad es esta en la que el sonido metálico de unos tacones puede hacer que los hombres exploten de lujuria? No es de extrañar que, en el curso del análisis del famoso sueño de «Signorelli» en su Psicopatología de la vida cotidiana, Freud informe de que fue un viejo musulmán de Bosnia-Herzegovina quien le comunicó la «sabiduría» del sexo como lo único que hace la vida digna de ser vivida: «Una vez que el hombre no e ...more
Ioana Fotache
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
While I appreciate its place in history, the easily comprehensible language, and the general encouragement to self-discovery via analysing ourselves and our everyday life, *damn* does Freud have a way of stretching things.
Kazi
Nov 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011, pop-science
Quaint misogynistic ramblings of an old fuddy duddy.
Kausik R
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
i was flabbergasted when i read this book ... forgetting names and slip of tongue is not a simple science...
Joanne Gordon
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved his take on jokes, and his explanation of Freudian slips
Cole Whetstone
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unity: Repression is the language of the unconscious, and psychoanalysis of forgetting is our Rosetta stone.
3 Prompts:
1. Why do people forget things they clearly have already learned? This is the central research question of this book. Freud is not so much concerned with forgetting during learning as he is with this everyday forgetting (though perhaps his theory can explain problems of forgetting in learning via an affective barrier that is always up). Indeed, when asked, this question is quite
  • The Seminar of Jacques Lacan: The Other Side of Psychoanalysis
  • A Clinical Introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis: Theory and Technique
  • Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process
  • Freud: A Life for Our Time
  • Playing and Reality
  • Person to Person: The Problem of Being Human
  • Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics
  • Identity and the Life Cycle
  • Attachment
  • Tarrying with the Negative: Kant, Hegel, and the Critique of Ideology
  • Healing the Soul in the Age of the Brain: Becoming Conscious in an Unconscious World
  • The Essential Jung: Selected Writings
  • Mindfulness and Acceptance: Expanding the Cognitive-Behavioral Tradition
  • The Minimal Self: Psychic Survival in Troubled Times
Dr. Sigismund Freud (later changed to Sigmund) was a neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, who created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality. He is regarded as one of the most influential—and controversial—minds of the 20th century.

In 1873, Freud began to study medicine at the University of Vienna. After graduating, he worked at the Vienna General Hospital
“Perciò la differenza tra me ed un uomo superstizioso consiste in questo: io non credo che un avvenimento verificatosi senza alcuna partecipazione della mia vita psichica possa rivelarmi cose arcane sul futuro; credo invece che un'espressione non intenzionale della mia vita psichica possa rivelarmi qualcosa di ignoto che, in fondo, appartiene solo alla mia vita psichica; credo alla casualità esterna (reale) ma non a quella interna (psichica). Insomma, il mio è l'atteggiamento esattamente opposto a quello del superstizioso; egli, non sapendo nulla della motivazione degli atti casuali e degli atti mancati, crede nella casualità psichica; è portato ad attribuire al caso esterno un'importanza che si manifesta nella realtà futura, ed a vedere nel caso un mezzo d'espressione di qualcosa che è nascosto nella realtà. Ci sono dunque due differenze tra me e l'uomo superstizioso: prima di tutto egli proietta all'esterno una motivazione che io cerco all'interno; in secondo luogo, egli interpreta il caso per mezzo di un avvenimento che io riconduco ad un'idea. Ciò che per lui è occulto per me è inconscio; in noi c'è la tendenza comune a non considerare il caso come tale, ma ad interpretarlo.
Ora io sostengo che quest'ignoranza cosciente e questa conoscenza inconscia della motivazione delle casualità psichiche sono una delle radici della superstizione. Proprio perché il superstizioso non sa nulla della motivazione dei suoi atti casuali e perché questa motivazione cerca di imporsi alla sua conoscenza, egli è obbligato a spostarla ed a collocarla nel mondo esterno.”
1 likes
“Nella nostra concezione moderna del mondo ―concezione scientifica non ancora definitivamente conclusa― la superstizione è un po' fuori luogo; mentre era ammessa nella concezione di epoche prescientifiche, poiché ne era un complemento logico.
Aveva dunque relativamente ragione l'antico Romano, che rinunciava ad un progetto importante perché il volo degli uccelli era sfavorevole; agiva in modo conforme alle sue premesse. E se rinunciava al suo progetto perché aveva inciampato sulla soglia della sua porta, si rivelava superiore a noi increduli, si rivelava miglior psicologo di noi. Il fatto d'inciampare denotava l'esistenza di un dubbio, di un'opposizione interiore a questo progetto, la cui forza poteva annullare quella della sua intenzione al momento della realizzazione. In effetti si può essere sicuri del successo completo solo quando tutte le energie psichiche tendono al fine desiderato.”
1 likes