Start by marking “Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat” as Want to Read:
Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat

Read Excerpt

Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat

(Well Fed #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  5,537 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
Preparing quality food is among the most caring things we can do for ourselves and the people we love. That's why Well Fed: Paleo Recipes For People Who Love To Eat is packed with recipes for food that you can eat every day, along with easy tips to make sure it takes as little time as possible to get healthy, delicious food into your well-deserving mouth. If you count meal ...more
Published 2011 by Smudge Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Well Fed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Well Fed

Mary
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, own-it, read-2016
I discovered Melissa Joulwan's blog (and cookbooks) when I googled "Paleo marinade for shrimp" and turned up her recipe for "Ginger-Lime Grilled Shrimp," which was so good that I ordered both Well Fed and Well Fed 2. These cookbooks are staples in my kitchen, and I'm slowly cooking my way through both. Things I love: big, colourful photo of every recipe, suggested pairings that "taste great!" and ingredient substitutions to change up the flavour. I don't think I will ever get bored with these re ...more
Jodi
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-books
This is a solid recipe book for anyone choosing to eat dairy, grain/gluten and legume free. It’s great to have a recipe book where the meals don’t contain lots of junk you are trying to avoid, and where all the recipes are not just gluten-free OR dairy-free etc. but all of these at once.

I like that the book isn’t all about trying to recreate unhealthy foods using healthy foods. That gets so boring and ties you to that unhealthy mindset for longer. A few replacements are listed such as spaghetti
Kt
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, 2013
I've been feeling a little uninspired with cooking. Even told my husband "man I think I need to remember how to do... anything" Not that I'm the greatest by any means. But when it comes to a super picky eater (my husband) and trying to keep it healthy... the same old same old every night just doesn't cut it. And then you start to cheat with easy fixes and not so health alternatives 'cause well... I don't feel like cooking and I don't want what I had last night, and the night before... and etc.

BU
Tozette
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
"Well Fed" is well laid out and prettily presented, so it gets points for that. There's a helpful section on spices, spice blends, substitutes for common (non-approved) foods and a handy-dandy checklist of kitchen equipment.

The recipes are interesting, and not totally confined to weary attempts to reproduce the taste of dishes we can no longer eat - although there is some of that and where it exists I continue to be skeptical about it: cauliflower and coconut milk as a replacement for mashed po
MicheleStitches
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me begin by saying that I am not fond of term "paleo" but it is the commonly used word for this style of eating, so I employ it only because others will know what I mean (no grains, dairy, legumes, processed foods, or chemicals.)

Okay, now on to the book...

This is more than just a cookbook! The author, Mel Joulwan, has a wonderful way of adding stories and interesting information. I actually READ this book, not just perused the recipes. While there is a brief explanation of why Mel believes t
Dita Murinová
Tohle bylo mé první nahlédnutí do paleo světa. Musím říct, že spousta věcí mě tam zaujala. Určitě se nechám inspirovat, ale teď na kolejích, s vařičem a malým prostorem určitě žádné velké životní změny nechystám.

4 hvězdičky jsou hlavně za to, s jakým humorem a zapálením autorka mluví o jídle, životě a paleo stylu.

Celá recenze ➜ http://blog.jsemdita.cz/zpatky-na-str...
Michelle
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coookbook
Super great recipe book for Paleo beginners and anyone with kids. Melissa tells you what you should do at the beginning of the week to have your fridge full of food for the week. Because of this book I have my husband on the BBQ with chicken thighs and zucchini while I'm boiling eggs, frying a pack of chicken sausages, roasting cauliflower and stir frying broccoli for the week. Most times I also have something in the crock pot, too. I learned how to make her wonderful mayo and whip up salad dres ...more
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolute best cookbook I've ever purchased. Got this and Well Fed 2 at the same time. The recipes are amazing and the author offers endless ways to mix it up depending on which ethnic flavors you are jonesing for. If, like me, you love lots of ethnic foods, you know it's hard to find a cookbook that offers much variety.

I'm already looking forward to round two of the Moroccan Meatballs or I might make that sauce and use chicken instead. I laughed to myself when I realized I had just done my own v
William
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, cook-book
This is a small book. There are a few good recipes in here. The "weekly cookup" advice is sound; buy your groceries on the weekend, cut and steam-sautee the more fibrous vegetables to be cooked later in other things. The idea of paleo "hot plates" presented here is similar to vegan "bowls" presented in Thug Kitchen (I know, I know). Both are economic uses of resources.

Honestly, give me the cook book with no recipes. I just want something to give me a basic formula I can do something with. "Prote
A. B
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The concept of the grain free, sugar free, legume free, dairy free diet isn't new. They gave this diet a new name, a shiny appearance, and some vamped-up marketing. Now it's the latest fad. However, this diet has been used since at least the 18th century to specifically treat digestive issues such as Chron's, IBS, Celiac's and others. (During that time it was widely believed these problems were the cause of psychological problems and not real physical endangerment.) The creators of the paleo die ...more
Katie Love
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
While a Paleo or even a gluten/sugar/grain free diet should be simple in theory I've found in practice (despite living in California with tempting fresh produce) it can be difficult to figure out on a daily basis: "what the hell do I eat?". If you have a busy life, getting on track to eating healthy can be hard and expensive. You want to eat right to reduce stress but then eating becomes stressful. As a intro guide I love "Practical Paleo", but despite the meal plans found it hard to fully apply ...more
DebHo
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I would not consider myself a "Paleo" eater. Her use of flavors and spices made me exuberant to eat dinner again. Only thing I would mention is I cut way back on the salt each recipe called for, my own personal taste, and also I calculated the nutrition for each recipe and did not necessarily agree with serving sizes. Example: The scotch eggs were huge and half of one egg was plenty for an adult. Her Coconut-Almond Green Beans I could have polished the whole thing off mysel ...more
Melinda
May 23, 2014 rated it liked it
A good cookbook. Used with the paleo diet, probably the most worthwhile part of this cook book has to do with cooking like a restaurant. Do alot of prep work, and then when it comes time to put a meal together you have all the elements already assembled. You shop for everything on one day, and then spend another day doing the prep work. 1 to 2 to 3 hours chopping, steaming, and grilling all of your basic food elements. Having them all set aside in organized containers in your fridge makes puttin ...more
Drjerseygator
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook, non-fiction
This is practically the only cookbook I use! I got it for my paleo lifestyle, but use it for entertaining as well as for our every night type dishes. If I don't mention that it's a "paleo" recipe, no one would know. I love the way Ms. Joulwan gives alternate suggestions for changing up the recipes (which she calls "you know how you could do that?"...this has taught me to be more experimental and think about flavor combinations. Reading and using this cookbook is like having a more knowledgable f ...more
Andrea Johnson
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first Paleo cookbook I have bought, choosing to find recipes online instead. I finally decided to take the plunge however, and purchase one and have not regretted it. Melissa Joulwan is a talented and funny writer - on her blog and also in this cookbook. I love her ideas for a "weekly cookup", hot plates, etc. She has a great section on pantry essentials as well. The recipes I have attempted so far have been delicious! I will still use my online sources for Paleo recipes, but I love ...more
Trace
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
February 4, 2015 update: I am boosting my rating for this book from a 4 star to a 5 star. Her pages on hot plates and her weekend prep blitz to prepare for the week are amazing, and for me are worth the price of the book! I have been referring to these pages so much over the past few weeks. And I've not yet made a recipe from this book that didn't rock. 5 stars all the way.

I loved this cookbook - lots of great ideas for cooking once at the beginning of the week and then using those cooked eleme
Joshua
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love the informality and obvious passion which infuses this book. I generally eat Paleo, but always have to eat gluten free, which means these recipes all work for me. It's not just recipes; I love framing cooking to prepare for the week as a Crossfit WOD. ("for time"' including cleanup.) 4 stars instead of 5 just because I would have loved a higher ratio of recipes to front matter; I hope there will be a sequel!
Kathleen
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have followed Joulwan's blog, The Clothes Make the Girl, for over a year. Her recipes are fantastic! I couldn't wait to get my hands on her cookbook and it's certainly money well spent. The layout is beautiful and it is filled with tips and recipes from various cultures. It's not another Paleo cookbook filled with frittatas, egg cups, and tons of desserts. The book focuses on real, satisfying food! Love it!
Orvokki
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-my-p-books
Nemusíte ísť paleo životným štýlom, kuchárku Dobře živeni určite využijete. A okamžite zistíte, že paleo nie je náročné a už vôbec nie je nudné. Práve naopak. Skvelé recepty nájdete v kuchárke Dobře živeni a a ako sa kniha páčila mne, si prečítajte na orvokki.sk .
Katherine
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
I don't really buy into all of the paleo stuff, but I am trying to eat less highly processed food. Joulwan gives both recipes and ideas for putting food together into meals. For less experienced cooks, her information on weekly 'cookups' is pretty fabulous.
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this cookbook! the only reason I didn't give it a five is that I wasn't able to test many recipes. I checked this out from the library, but I am planning to buy a copy soon.
Jirka
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Vynikajici kucharka pro (nejen) nadsence do paleo stravy. Povinnost do kazde muzske casti kuchyne :)
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The forward and introduction are warm and down to earth-- focusing on fresh foods that make you feel good, recognizing that people have work and commitments that take time. The author is honest about occasionally cheating, and some other comments make it clear that this is a book for people who are going Paleo as a health optional choice, not a health requirement. She also talks a bit about CrossFit; those two seem to pop up together a lot.

The book is also obviously for people for whom cooking f
James Shrimpton
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book for just over a week and I've already made half a dozen recipes from it. The food is good, the recipes are clear and easy to follow, and the cooking tips are really great. I especially love the vegetable section, the number of sides is great given that a lot of paleo type books say: "Eat loads of veg", but don't really give you much help in cooking it in interesting ways... Well Fed has majorly upped my cooking and, as a result, has increased the amount of veg we've eaten huge ...more
Sara
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The “hot plate” concept is genius and Melissa Joulwan is a genius. That and her particular weekly cook-up strategy solve so much keeping me from building a regular habit of cooking at home. It’s so easy that in retrospect it seems completely obvious. Even if you aren’t into “paleo” I’d recommend this cookbook just for the logistics.
MJ
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I use this book weekly to plan healthy, tasty meals for my husband and I. Mel Joulwan is a master of spices, and everything I've made has come out flavorful and is easily devoured. Instructions are also easy-to-follow and make cooking at home simple!
Diana Thomsen
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
LOVE this book! Kept checking it out from the library, and finally gave in and just bought it. The Super Snack and Hot Plates alone are worth the cost of the book. Seriously. This book has made the Paleo transition easy...and lost me a ton of weight. Love!
Colleen
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I discovered Melissa's site while doing the Whole30 and once I did, I abandoned all other recipe sites/books. She ruined me. After making so much delicious food from her site, I bought two of her cookbook and made some more.

This book doesn't give you that much more overall tips and tricks than you'll find on her site. There are a few more gems, but the absolute stars out of this one remain the Chocolate Chili and the Bora Bora Fireballs.
Kirstin
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: paleo, whole 30, foodies
Shelves: cooking, food, paleo
Absolutely the best tool in my arsenal when I did the Whole30 this year. I never got bored -- each recipe has options to change the flavors or tweak it slightly for a totally different result. So versatile!

I continue to use Melissa Joulwan's recipes daily. She introduced me to Chinese 5 Spice, a new favorite flavor. Useful, easy and mostly quick recipes, all uniquely delicious and worth the time to make.

If you're doing the Whole30, GET THIS BOOK! Even if you aren't, I highly recommend it.

I love
Suzanne Barrett
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A disclosure: this is an unbiased review of a book provided by the author.
I was delighted to review Well Fed because I have an interest in Primal and Paleo books, recipes and the lifestyle, having adopted this way of life some 30 months ago. Having followed Melissa’s blog www.ClothesmaketheGirl online for some months, I was interested in learning more.
The layout of this book is easy to follow with a table of contents up front and each type of dish (Sauces and Seasonings, Protein, Veggies and Sal
2015 Reading Chal...: Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan 1 6 Mar 03, 2015 01:39PM
Goodreads Librari...: Is this a series? Well Fed 2 27 Jan 07, 2015 04:01PM
  • Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • Everyday Paleo
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-Free Kids
  • The Paleo Kitchen: Finding Primal Joy in Modern Cooking
  • Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well  Feel Great
  • The Ancestral Table: Traditional Recipes for a Paleo Lifestyle
  • The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages
  • The Zenbelly Cookbook: An Epicurean's Guide to Paleo Cuisine
  • Make-Ahead Paleo: Healthy Gluten-, Grain-  Dairy-Free Recipes Ready When  Where You Are
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond Paleo for Total Health and a Longer Life
Melissa Joulwan is the author of the best-selling Well Fed cookbook series and the blog www.MelJoulwan.com, where she writes about her triumphs and failures in the gym, in the kitchen, and in life. Her newest cookbook is Well Fed Weeknights: Complete Paleo Meals in 45 Minutes Or Less (November 1, 2016).

After a lifetime of yo-yo dieting and food as the enemy, Melissa found the paleo diet in 2009 a

Well Fed (2 books)

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Through a Window: My Thirty Years with the Chimpanzees of Gombe
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir