Start by marking “Sigmund Freud: Pioneer of the Mind” as Want to Read:
Sigmund Freud: Pioneer of the Mind

Sigmund Freud: Pioneer of the Mind

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Few historical figures have captured the public imagination as completely as Sigmund Freud. At a time when many ailments of the mind were treated with soothing baths or dangerous electroshock therapy, Freud initiated a novel practice: he simply listened to his patients. He called his method of treatment psychoanalysis, or “the talking cure.” Though the validity of Freud’s ...more
Published April 23rd 2001 by Clarion Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sigmund Freud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sigmund Freud

S10_tommccormack
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
Ages: 14 and up

"Sigmund Freud: A Pioneer of the Mind" by Catherine Reef is a detailed biography of Freud's life. It is a well-researched book that also contains many pictures to accompany the text.

Reef effectively balances information about Freud's personal life with details about his professional work. She also describes how life in Europe during the twentieth century impacted Freud's work.

Freud is portrayed as a scientist, parent, husband, friend, philosopher, iconoclast, Jew, and atheist in
Kymberly
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a biography of Sigmund Freud. Which was the only book I could find for a book report I had to do for my Personality Psychology class. At first I was really disappointed that I could not find anything on Carl Jung, and I only had 'creepy' Freud to read. After reading this book, I now see Freud as a human seeing how his experiences and beliefs affected his odd freaky views. Amazingly enough, I now want to read more about Sigi and his life.
Brendan
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of a bold man who challenged the thoughts and prejudices of humankind and acheieved success . Thai tells the story of an Austrain man who rised to greatness and changed Europe and the World forever .
lkhamsuren amarjargal
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book is well designed a brief biography of Sigmund. For me, I've got enough info that who was he. Unfortunately, He had not nominated for Nobel price. Because humankind needs more and more time, to understand his idea. ;) Absolutely, I love this book.
Michelle
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a well written book. Though it seemed rather short for such a prolific man.
Mandala
Delia
Mar 11, 2018
Jenny Medenwald
Mar 12, 2018
Catherine Reef is the author of more than 35 nonfiction books for young people. Her books for Clarion include the highly acclaimed JOHN STEINBECK and SIGMUND FREUD, which was the recipient of the 2002 Sydney Taylor Award, presented by the Association of Jewish Libraries. She lives in College Park, Maryland.
More about Catherine Reef