Start by marking “Jackson Jones and the Puddle of Thorns” as Want to Read:
Jackson Jones and the Puddle of Thorns

Jackson Jones and the Puddle of Thorns

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Nothing but a big mess of trouble and weeds..

That's what Jackson Jones thinks of the garden plot his mother gives him for his tenth birthday. What happened to the basketball he's hoped and prayed for all year?

When Jackson comes up with a moneymaking scheme for the garden, it doesn't seem so bad after all. He even cuts his friends in on the action. But before long, Jackson
Published April 1st 1995 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Jackson Jones and the Puddle of Thorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jackson Jones and the Puddle of Thorns

Mystique
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
I volunteer with In2Books as a reading penpal for inner city kids in low income school zones. This book was chosen by Cameron, my In2Books penpal. Cameron is in 4th grade.
I think it's a great literary choice for kids in grades 2-6, depending on reading ability, maturity level, and interest.

Summary: It is Jackson Jones' birthday. He desperately wants a new basketball, but instead, Jackson's mother presents him with a garden plot in the middle of their urban scene. Jackson's mother wants to insti
Erin
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This one might be a good guided reading title for our 5th graders.
Teresa
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, chapter-book
This book is about a boy who is given a garden plot for his tenth birthday. He devised a plan to make a business out it so that he can kill two birds with one stone; buy a birthday present for his mother and get the basketball he's always wanted. There weren't many illustrations in the book, but the pictures that were in there looked like drawing done with a drafting pencil. Nothing was in color but they were wonderfully detailed. I gave this book 4 stars only because it struck my interest being ...more
Crystal
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter, 3-6, book
This book was chosen by my 3rd pen pal in Texas. He and I were matched together through in2Books and we both read this, and will write e-letters back in forth.

I was shocked at the variety of emotions, and lessons, within the story. It would be a great guided reading book for small groups or large class. Reading level is marked at 4.3 and the reasons I think... complexity of variety of characters, lots of dialogue, and some bullying. All the elements can be used to teach connections and lessons
Jared
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jackson Jones, 10-year-old, gets a garden plot for his birthday instead of the basketball he wants. With an entrepreneurial spirit and a good bit of sweat he decides to turn the garden into a basketball. His efforts result in stress among his best friends and cause the school bully to pick on him. Well told, great characters, and a fun story.
Ch_kendrachristo
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mc-literature
The truly boring tale of a city boy whose mother gives him a garden plot for his tenth birthday. The main character, Jackson, comes up with a plan to use the garden to make money so that he can buy what he really wanted, which is a basketball. Along the way, Jackson learns how to treat his friends and how to deal with a bully.
Cornelia
This is the story of a 10 year-old boy who wants a basketball for his birthday, but gets a garden plot. From here it is a matter of plotting and planning and a little planting to get what he wants. Jackson Jones and the other creative characters offer adventures in and out of the garden.
Kylie
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Fantastic book to read and discuss with kids. I read this for In2Books, a volunteer, e-mentoring program, and found it raised numerous excellent questions for my mentee to consider. It also had valuable things for me to think about along the way, as well.
Raquan
Jul 22, 2011 added it
great book fantasy rayray out later
Meg
Nov 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, ebob
Battle of the Books - A cute story with a good message. I had never heard of it before I saw the list for EBOB. I think the kids will enjoy it.
Andy
Jul 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Pretty good - lots of the emotional moments ring true to me. A good option for 9 or 10 year olds that want a quick 113 page read, especially urban kids.
Rachel
Jun 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: young children
Shelves: childhood
Oh man, this was the "cool kid on the block" book when I was a kid. Now that I've re-read it, I've realized how lame it is.
Vanessa