Start by marking “Duty and Desire” as Want to Read:
Duty and Desire

Duty and Desire

(Winds of Fire #1)

How Can Happiness Survive When Duty Clashes With Desire?

Sheetal Prasad has it all: youth, beauty, wealth and education. But when this modern Indian woman surrenders love for honor and marries into India’s most glamorous ‘royal family’, these very advantages turn against her and she is stripped of her freedom.

Meet the Dhanrajs — a powerful family bound together by a web of
Published December 1st 2011 by Greenbrier Book Co. (first published November 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Duty and Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duty and Desire

Start your review of Duty and Desire
Sarah (needs a break from reviewing)
25/6 - Ugh! Dreadful book!! Highly not recommended. Only one redeeming character, unfortunately she wasn't the main so we didn't spend nearly enough time with her. Pretty much every other character was reprehensible. There were a few servants who were fine and Arvind, Sheetal's first 'love', who was not fleshed out at all so we don't really know who he is except that he's not 'rich' and Sheetal would have had to live in poverty if she had stayed with him instead of marrying the mega rich Sanjeet ...more
Izzie d
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Lily
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Review originally featured on Bookluvrs Haven

A friend of mine is really into Bollywood movies. She made me sit down for one once, and I was hooked. How can you not be? They are full of happy music, awesome dancing, amazing colorful costumes, and of course, a ridiculously tragic story of forbidden love. So occasionally, I will watch the odd Bollywood movie here and there, with a full bowl of popcorn, and a box of kleenex in near proximity.

I can't say that I have picked up similar novels, but thi
Kimberly Comeau
First, I have to confess that I'm easily distracted by typos, and, sadly, this edition had many. Despite that, I enjoyed the opportunity to learn about Indian traditions and holidays in the course of the story, shared by an author familiar with that culture. The author's knowledge is broad and her details integrated into the stream of the story without jarring. The result is a presentation of a culture that's memorable for its extremes: of poverty and wealth, of modernity and adherence to tradit ...more
M
Mar 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
The writing was very well done and the imagery and description were amazing.

My problem was that the book was all over the place IMO. I never knew when the characters were going to behave positively or negatively to each other and I left the book without a clear understanding of what it was the author was trying to accomplish or convey.
Marcia
Apr 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed this book! The characters could be loved and hated at times. I couldn’t stop reading until I finished.
Gaele
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I received an eBook copy of this book from the author for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review, and all conclusions are my own responsibility.
Let me start with saying that I had also purchased this book, prior to it coming up as a potential book for me to review. I have a varied list of purchased books, and Amazon with its recommendations popped this one into my list as I have a few other books by Indian authors that center around women and their relationships.

Part o
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
First off I have to say this is the first book I have ever read about the modern Indian culture and I was very intrigued by it. Anju Gattani really writes Duty and Desire in a way that immerses you in the characters world and culture.

In Duty and Desire Sheetal is being forced into an arranged marriage by her parents. Of course it is the 21st century and she could just say no but Sheetal’s duty to her parents makes her go through with it even though she was in love with someone else and despises
Ana♥
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Being forced into a marriage she doesn't want, Sheetal Prasad abides by her parents conquest to give her away to a prestigious family. Leaving behind the man she loves, for a man she can barely stand to look at. Forced into life of her duty as the wife of Sanjeet Dhanraj, India's own royal family and her desire to live her life the way she wants, Sheetal goes through a journey in discovering who she is.

We're first introduced to Sheetal who is breaking things off with Arvind, the man she loves. C
Susan
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just loved Anju Gattani’s stunning debut novel. Set in contemporary India, the book chronicles the family drama between the well-off Prasads and the filthy-rich Dhanrajs. At the center of the story is Sheetal Prasad, a young, independent woman, and Sanjeet Dhanraj, a Harvard-educated bad boy.

The families arrange the marriage of Sheetal and Sanjeet, to both of their dismay.

Sheetal already has a boyfriend and Sanjeet is not interested in settling down. But because they come from traditional fami
Candice Hughes
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often read this genre, which I would call international women's literature. But, I purchased a copy from the author on her book tour this fall and finally have read it.

I highly recommend reading the book even if, like me, you don't read this genre frequently. Duty and Desire is well written. The characters come alive. The detail is beautiful. I enjoyed being immersed in a world so different from my own, especially one so glamorous and exotic.

I do have to admit that I didn't always like
Ty Wilson
I received this book from a First Reads giveaway as part of my effort to expand the types of books I'm reading. I wasn't sure what to think about it when it arrived. A novel of modern India. I've always enjoyed reading about cultures that are different from my own and this one fit the bill nicely. As I began reading it, I found myself drawn in by the voice of the main character, Sheetal. A modern woman forced into a traditional arranged marriage. The book follows Sheetal's journey to discover wh ...more
Evie
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, 3-stars
This was definitely an interesting read and one I am very glad I took the time and had the opportunity to read this book. It was very eye opening to the culture and customs of India and is incredibly detailed. The author provides intricate details about the character's appearance and surroundings that help create a very vivid image of their world. I enjoyed the book, but I will admit I became rather frustrated with the characters and their actions, Sanjeet in particular.

(I received a copy of th
Chris Torretta
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review tomorrow!! :D
 Arushi
Nov 26, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want this book. Like now.
Margaret Spence
Jun 02, 2020
Tarah Scott
Dec 19, 2011
Mona Freund
rated it did not like it
Aug 27, 2017
Rose
Shana
Violet
Self Promo for Bl...: Request 4 book review 1 10 Oct 17, 2012 10:40AM
Fiction author, blogger and freelance international journalist Anju Gattani has published cover stories, fiction, feature, news, travel, parenting and perspective pieces. First published at the age of 7 in Hong Kong’s leading newspaper, The South China Morning Post, Anju went on to fill numerous diaries with poems, and floated on a cloud of imagination by wielding a pen to fight off her imaginary ...more