Start by marking “The Real Men in Black: Evidence, Famous Cases & True Stories of These Mysterious Men & their Connection to UFO Phenomena” as Want to Read:

The Men in Black were elevated to superstar status in 1997 in the hit movie of the same name. Although the Hollywood blockbuster was fiction, the real Men in Black have consistently attempted to silence the witnesses of UFO and paranormal phenomena since the 1950s.

In The Real Men in Black, author Nick Redfern delves deep into the mysterious world of these mysterious
Published (first published June 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Men in Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Men in Black

Samuel
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then, I like a good UFO/conspiracy book. Generally, it's amazing that they can write so much and say so little.

This book actually says something, or tries to. Recounting lots of anecdotal evidence, sprinkled with a few photos and some official documentation, Redfern does a pretty good job of explaining the origins of the "Men in Black" phenomena and giving several possibilities for what has actually gone on.

Now, if you're like me, you never knew there really
Dee Eisel
I decided to give Nick Redfern another chance. You may recall I didn't like his previous book, Three Men Seeking Monsters: Six Weeks in Pursuit of Werewolves, Lake Monsters, Giant Cats, Ghostly Devil Dogs & Ape-men, but after seeing him on various TV programs where he actually looked somewhat reasonable I wanted to give him a try. I'm happy to say that this book is better than the other. I'm sad to say it's not by much.

The thing I liked most is that Redfern, unlike many other people in t
B.M.B. Johnson
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throughout the book, I had trouble trying to decide what exactly was the author's view of these mysterious Men in Black. I'm sure that Nick Redfern was contracted to write this book, and probably didn't have a particular view one way or the other, though it seems to me that when one approaches a subject like this it might be best to not keep ones thoughts on a subject (which one is devoting some time to) to be quite so ambiguous.

Also, on the onset it seems that the first two people t
Matthew Kresal
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nick Redfern, that "Brit with a knack for fretting out all the dope on outrageous subjects," to quote the late Jim Marrs on the back cover, turns those talents towards those enigmatic Men In Black who've come to be associated with the UFO phenomenon. The first half of the book looks at some notable cases involving the mysterious figures (including two which managed to be photographed) while the second half looks at various possible explanations behind them. The latter is perhaps the more interes ...more
Tania Poole
Nicky's an acquaintance of mine, so I often purchase his books - this one and another I bought for my sister. I met Nick in the UK in 2006 and got him to sign one of his other books that I own.
His books are interesting, but he has been known to colour the stories a bit with fiction - most notable his book 'Three Men seeking Monsters' - starring Nick himself, Jon Downes and Richard Freeman - who are now also friends of mine who I have seen often and been on expeditions with (Richard came with us
Charlene
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay where to begin. I thought it would be interesting to read about "The Real Men in Black" I figured that it would lend some diverting info into the satirical movie version. Well you can see where the movie came up with there plot reading this book but the way some of the info is presented it was just boring and just a little dijointed for me. I know the author was trying to give important info that is factual and also debunk some myths. I guess it just seemed that the info was much better see ...more
Cheryl Beseler
This book provides a history of the Men in Black phenomenon and provides possible explanations for the reports. It is intriguing and highly entertaining. It is surprisingly unbiased in its approach and allows the reader to come to their own conclusions.
Stephen Snyder
What an in-depth book on a very complicated subject. Very thoroughly researched. There is so much more to this subject than meets the eye. Bravo Nick Redfern!

Thank you for the loan Franklin Public Library.
Gina
I love stuff like this. Super fun read.
Jonathan Raab
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent overview of the history and many interpretations of the Men in Black phenomena (including that of the mundane!). Both entertaining and informative. Recommended for those with an interest in High Strange.
Connor
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of The Real Men in Black is a survey of the key primary sources on the Men in Black (MIB). Redfern begins with independent UFO researcher Albert Bender and his interactions with the MIB and ends with MIB sightings in the early 2000s. Much of the earlier chapters are summaries of previously published materials (such as the chapter on the Mothman phenomenon). In other chapters, Redfern presents original research (mostly in the form of FBI reports) to give historical context to and f ...more
Kurami Rocket
3.5
To anyone who is interested and new to the MIB phenomenon, then this book is for you. The book starts of with the very 1st MIB encounter and from there, it continues as a series of timeline events.

The 2nd half of the book is filled with theories of who and what the MIB may be. It is left up to the person to decide what they believe.

However, personally, I agree with the theory that the Men and Women in Black are actually demonic forces sent out to decieve people,
Derek
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as compelling, IMO, as his Body Snatchers in the Desert. In this book, Redfern seems to recognize that he doesn't have enough evidence to make a persuasive argument in favor of any particular interpretation of the "Men in Black" phenomenon, so he sort of promotes all of them at once. Unfortunately, other than a few vague anecdotes, some of which can definitely be taken very innocuously, I didn't encounter much new information in this one...
Skye
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was very good and well written (despite the overdose of too many lame redundant puns on MIB and "getting back to the story"). Some of the hypotheses were so far fetched and should've been omitted. The whole Tulsa thing is flawed and sounds more like Bender's hallucinations and just schizophrenic behavior in general.

Good read though. Hated skimming chapters but in order to hold my interest, it had to be done.
Harrison
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Some good case studies and anecdotes about Bender/Barker/Keel, some ridiculously juvenile wiseacring on Redfern's part (and some of his quoted sources), balanced with sometimes insightful speculation on the parts of Colin Bennet, Ray Boeche, and Joshua Warren. I'm ambivalent with Redfern's pulp writing style, though.
Patricia
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in this subject, this is an excellent book. I learned more about the men in black. This is a book of stories told by real people, of real experiences involving the REAL Men in Black. Excellent book.
Timothy
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well researched

The book goes into not only all the stories surrounding theMIB but has layout different theories on what or who they actually are. A interesting read from cover to cover!
Trevor Owen
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ufo
Good book, with great cases
Alex
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Poor writing style and could have been fifty pages shorter.
Sabra
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Badly written, but I forced myself to finish. Now I wish I hadn't bothered.
Roger L.
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the evidence and stories are amusing and some of the theories are credible, the writing is a little too casual for my liking.
Ray Gonzales
Fun book, just wish it had more.
Joseph W Slezak
rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2017

• PSI Spies: The True Story of America's Psychic Warfare Program
  • UFOs for the 21st Century Mind: A Fresh Guide to an Ancient Mystery
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • The Cosmic War: Interplanetary Warfare, Modern Physics, and Ancient Texts
  • Earth: An Alien Enterprise: The Shocking Truth Behind the Greatest Cover-up in Human History
  • Insiders Reveal Secret Space Programs & Extraterrestrial Alliances
  • The Vengeful Djinn: Unveiling the Hidden Agenda of Genies
  • Breakthrough: The Next Step
  • The Most Dangerous Book in the World: 9/11 as Mass Ritual
  • Messengers of Deception: UFO Contacts and Cults
  • Forbidden Gates: How Genetics, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Synthetic Biology, Nanotechnology, and Human Enhancement Herald The Dawn Of TechnoDimensional Spiritual Warfare
  • Sinister Forces—The Manson Secret: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft
Nick Redfern is a British best-selling author, Ufologist and Cryptozoologist who has been an active advocate of official disclosure, and has worked to uncover thousands of pages of previously-classified Royal Air Force, Air Ministry and Ministry of Defence files on UFOs dating from the Second World War from the Public Record Office.

He has has appeared on a variety of television programmes in the