Start by marking “Hiring for Attitude: A Revolutionary Approach to Recruiting and Selecting People with Both Tremendous Skills and Superb Attitude” as Want to Read:

Praise for HIRING FOR ATTITUDE

"Success in business starts with finding great talent that will thrive within your company culture. Hiring for Attitude combines valuable insights with relatable examples, giving you the tools to recruit the right talent for your organization and reduce your risk of mishires."
--BRENT RASMUSSEN, President of CareerBuilder North America

"Caesars
Published December 2nd 2011 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published November 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hiring for Attitude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiring for Attitude

Start your review of Hiring for Attitude: A Revolutionary Approach to Recruiting and Selecting People with Both Tremendous Skills and Superb Attitude
Tõnu Vahtra
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best and most practical book I have read on hiring so far
Created mindmap during reading.

Main points
The attitudes that work in your organization are unique
Standard interview questions don't assess attitude
A few simple questions will reveal if someone's attitude is right for you
There's an answer key that will grade a candidate's attitude
The grammar that people use predicts whether they are a good or bad fit
The way most companies recruit chases away the best people
Hiring for Attitude wi
Lukasz Nalepa
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-work
That is a book that almost made it to my "to-read-again" bookshelf. I will get back to it for sure, but rather as a how-to guide when I'll be actively redoing the cultural fit interview parts of recruitment in my organisation (present and probably in the future as well).

This book is actually almost a step-by-step instruction on what to do, to start focusing on culture/attitude in your organisation, starting from discovering it (or parts of it), along with recruiting for it, and in the end also
Kelley
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a senior leader in a school, I've wondered about, over the past two years, how we can better identify great potential employees in the hiring process while avoiding hiring toxic employees. Murphy's book offers the perfect solution to solve that problem. His brilliant strategies offer easily implementable ways to identify each workplace's unique necessary characteristics that make high quality employees successful as well as the qualities that will make employees unsuccessful there. The strate ...more
Kristen
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas here, but not sure how I could adapt some of them to a library setting. I found some of his terminology a bit odd and distracting as well. Still - not a waste of time to read, in general, and helps inform my ideas about interview questions at the very least.
Daniela
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is good learning tool for the beginners in the recruitment process. It gives a clear message that it is all about the attitude, character, approach, willigness to learn, personality. All the rest can be learned - skills.
Elizabeth Bryan
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great beginners tool for hiring based on attitude. It helps to identify the questions that will differentiate good hires from bad hires for your specific company! It is especially great for small businesses who need to work closely together with one another.
Vanessa
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: human-resources
My first book on HR and it got me pumped up!! All set to read more! Thanks to this book i now know how to handle myself better during and for interviews. :) Recommended to all HR professionals.
Gabriele MaZa
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It is a book that every HR MUST read. Moreover even if you don't have anything to do with HR - I still recommend to read this book as it can help you to grow as a person, to prepare for the job interviews or even to change your attitude and your behavior towards your job.
Hiring for attitude is based on the LeadershipIQ study of 20.000 employees over 3 years period and interpretation of results followed by recommendations how to improve those results.
It covers topics as:
* before hiring you must
Viktor Nilsson
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Very practical advice for hiring (specifically the part where you evaluate candidates).

Just having set out to hire my first employee, I found this book to be aiming for a far more seasoned audience. But despite reading some advice that I was unable to follow (such as interviewing current employees about our culture), I found a lot of things here to learn from. The author's advice is convincing, easy to understand, and easy to implement.

Alas, nothing comes free, and there is no ready method for y
Nasos Psarrakos
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great stuff!

I really liked the brown short questions method for creating the right set of questions for interviews. But what I truly loved was word pictures towards the end, that actually educates your employees for the proper mindset and to always share what's the right thing to do in every situation. Definitely recommended, if you want to up your game in hiring, even really small time hiring.
Molly Harty
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some good takeaways. I run a very small retail operation so a lot of the ideas seemed "bigger" than what we can institute and geared toward much larger organizations.
Offered some great thinking points for me to evaluate what can not only help with my employees but focus points for the business overall.
Mircea Petrean
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's the first book I read on this topic and I found it very interesting. For a long time I considered the hiring process something that requires only experience, but this book made me realize the science behind it. I always found annoying typical interview questions and wanted to learn how to ask proper questions
Caroline
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was new to recruitment, I wanted to get a sense of how to effectively hire for attitude and select culture fits. This book did a tremendous job of preparing me for recruitment and helped develop me into a more effective recruiter.
Matthew
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The company I work for uses this book as part of their hiring process. There were things that I agreed with and some things that I did not. It was worth the read to better understand what I am looking for in a new hire.
Andy Wood
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent primer on behavioural interviewing

A conversational, easy read. Hiring for attitude deconstructs traditional recruitment practices and presents its new approach clearly with practical examples. Theories are well explained and applicable
Jess Kang
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening for me on how to hire the right people suitable for ones's organisation.
Jeremiah
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for recruiters, HR leaders, and CEOs.
Melissa Baker
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A big help in hiring
Brent Keck
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent reading on better ways to hire high performers to the culture of your company - assuming you know what your culture is. I found the process for creating interview questions and then scoring the answers useful. Also helpful were the suggestions on what to listen for in applicant verbal responses to your questions that would differentiate high performers from low performers. The final value I found was the "Word Picture" approach to teaching and communicating desired behaviors to employe ...more
Adam Howarth
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Well outlined plan to identify your organization's unique culture characteristics. With that information you can create applicable questions to screen out candidates that won't have the right attitude - which is the top reason hirees don't work out. Outlines how to formulate the questions, analyze the answers with an answer "key" that you also create. Finishes with advice on applying these principles to recruiting and the organization's current employees.
Babak
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly refreshing book about how to find out what type of person you have in for a job interview. It is not important to have a long CV with a lot of achievements if you don't fit into the new organization from an attitude point of view. Read this book if you are up to hiring someone in your organization.
Lee Tyner
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I agree with the author, but the strategy provided was somewhat unrealistic at the places I've worked. Also, if an organization is known to follow the strategies, applicants could prep for the hiring process with canned answers just like they currently do.
Mohamed Magdy
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book shows me how to develop some of my skills
Kamila Borowa
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Schould be read by every director, manager, recruiter/CEO - everyone who cares about that what kind of people are on board :-)
Brian Ridge
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: management
Not sure I agree with all of the author's points, but there are some good nuggets of information here and there.
Nathan Wilson
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good method. Not as many concrete question ideas as I was hoping for, but the principles outlined set you in the right direction.
Jay bookworm
Aug 05, 2017

• Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • The Best Team Wins: Build Your Business Through Predictive Hiring
  • The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels
  • Clean Food: A Seasonal Guide to Eating Close to the Source with More Than 200 Recipes for a Healthy and Sustainable You
  • The Lives of the Great Composers
  • The Beatles Anthology
  • Unmasked: The Final Years Of Michael Jackson
  • Celine Dion: My Story, My Dream
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals
  • Influence Without Authority
  • Law of Attraction: The Science of Attracting More of What You Want and Less of What You Don't
  • The Challenger Sale: Taking Control of the Customer Conversation