Start by marking “The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky” as Want to Read:
The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky

The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  783 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Maxim Gorky continues to be regarded as the greatest literary representative of revolutionary Russia. Born of the people, and having experienced in his own person their sufferings and their misery, he was enabled by his extraordinary genius to voice their grievances and their aspirations for a better life as no academic could. His international fame rests on a tremendous l ...more
Published August 18th 1988 by Citadel Press (first published 1909)

Andrei Tamaş
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Makim Gorki - cea mai proeminentă figură a realismului socialist...
I. ÎN FAŢA VIEŢII (8/10)
Debutul abrupt câştigă toată stima cititorului: "În faţa Vieţii stăteau doi oameni, amândoi nemulţumiţi de ea."
Aspectul satiric se cristalizează ulterior, în jurul conceptelor de libertate şi dreptate, iar asta cu un oarecare caracter antitetic.

II. SCATIUL MINCINOS ŞI CIOCĂNITOAREA IUBITOARE DE ADEVĂR (9/10)
Operă cu aspect fabulistic, întruchipând, sub masca diferitelor păsări, tipologii umane. Scrierea p
Herb Bogart
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wish people read more of Gorky. He's a superb writer. I highly recommend his Three Friends.
João Sousa
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Maxim Gorky was an amazing writer, and in my opinion, he stands on the highest grounds in literature. The world would be a much better place if more people would read his works.

His short stories are powerful mosaics of pessimism blending perfectly with the hope found within the human heart.
Linda
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gorky began writing short stories and novels in the late 1800s after he was told that he was no good as a poet. Now his work is a must read if you want to know about life in Russia up to 1936 when he died.

As well as writing, Gorky was a well-known revolutionist. He served time in Russian jails quite often.

These stories are like nothing else I've ever read in Russian lit. They are very unassuming. You can tell they are Gorky's but little of Gorky is in them. He lets his characters tell their own
شريف سالم
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
i read the Arabic translated version, the stories are very attractive and detailed,
Oleg Kagan
I read through roughly half of the stories in this book and found them worthwhile in small doses. Gorky's style is full of scenic views, balanced characterizations with a nostalgic romantic strain, but typically short on story and variety, and a hint of moralism in the narrator. His subject is practically always the same: The goings on of down-and-out in society, occasionally in search for metaphysical solace, sometimes of the liquid variety.

In many ways, Gorky is similar to Sherwood Anderson:
Ali
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: world-literature
Gorky’s works do exude the common pessimism, but that's clearly a by-product of the dreadful living conditions Gorky and Co. underwent. Beginning with detailed descriptions of place, Gorky always delineates his characters so very painstakingly.

”Gorky is a master of the gamut of human emotion. As glorious as I find "Birth of a Man, equally profoundly disturbing do I find his narration of the kitten's fate in "Notch." Yet, the sarcasm that perpetually lies beneath the surface, indeed, he is arguab
Vibhu Ashok
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reaches to depth of heart and transforms - Vibhu Ashok

I picked up this book randomly...looking for something else and it came out of blue...after reading few pages of it, I get hooked up to the beauty, that is expressed there in...something is unique about Gorky's style. he is like a poet among writers, who knows how to take us to inert depth of consciousness...something comes out and transform us...I can read it numerous times.
Titik Musyarofah
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Dongeng Dari Sayap Kiri:
kalo ga salah kumpulandari cerpen yang ditulis oleh Maxim Gorky (Dua Saabat), GabrielGRCIA mARQUEZ (Wanita yang datang Pukul 6), John Steinbeck (bunga-bunga krisan), Jean-Pail Sarrtre (Dinding), Lu Hsun (Obat).
Nikmati wajah lain cerpen yang tidak bergaya "sastra borjuis"...
Kamili
Mar 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This was another casualty from my russian author phase. I wouldn't run right out and get it, but your local library probably has this just sitting on the shelf. (That's where I found it). I was glad I read it, and, as a bonus, it made me feel smarter.
Marjan
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book is amazing. Especially story for Old Izergil and The Song of the Falcon i read it many times and its still awesome.
Lejda
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The best author ..I have read this book more than 6 times and just love to read it more and more again
Kiran Manjunath
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Excellent set of short stories. You can see a different flavor on non-classical English yet very effective.
Stevo Ilišković
Ima ljudi koji umesto duše u sebi nose narodnu biblioteku.
Čovek ne živi od misli, nego od želja do kojih dolazi bez misli.
Attleson
  • The Eternal Husband and Other Stories
  • The Essential Tales of Chekhov
  • The Noise of Time: Selected Prose
  • Summer in Baden-Baden
Aleksey Maximovich Peshkov (Russian: Алексей Максимович Пешков, better known as Maxim Gorky, Russian: Максим Горький), was a Soviet author, a founder of the socialist realism literary method and a political activist.He was also a five-time nominee for the Nobel Prize in Literature.

From 1906 to 1913 and from 1921 to 1929 he lived abroad, mostly in Capri, Italy; after his return to the Soviet Union
More about Maxim Gorky...