Start by marking “Where the Heart Is” as Want to Read:
Where the Heart Is

Where the Heart Is

Dr. Trevor Carson had a good life as a city veterinarian, until his father died. Taking over his dad's remote country practice was supposed to be temporary, but Trevor found himself loving the place. If only it didn't mean separation from his partner, Michael. A Christmas visit from Michael gives each of them a chance to decide if home is a place or a person.
ebook, 1st Edition, 47 pages
Published December 30th 2011 by MLR Press (first published December 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Where the Heart Is, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Heart Is

Gigi

I have a special place in my heart for the M/M romances that include an MC who is a veterinarian and had this book on my shelf for years. I finally had my kick-in-the-pants to read this one and was delighted at just how much I loved it!

This is a true romance between two good people who love each other with all of their hearts. It has a touch of a Christmas theme, but can be read anytime of the year, but I'd save this one for when you've had a particularly shitty day and feel like the world is a
Nick Pageant
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Short and sweet. I love veterinarians and I love Christmas, so this was a perfect, quick read.
Trio
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-pgs-or, mm, holiday
Of course it was lovely, it's Kaje Harper xo :)
Elena
Not much of a holiday story apart from the fact that everything happens on Christmas Eve, but a lovely short nonetheless. Kaje Harper surely knows how to write sweet but still realistic couples.
Enny
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My only niggle with this lovely book was the fact that the name of the pony kept switching between Banner and Major. I wish m/m book were better edited - or in some instances edited at all.
Kathleen
A sweet short story written by someone with either some knowledge about veterinary medicine or did her research.
Sammy Goode
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this little gift in my inbox the other day...I was expecting to read a lovely short story knowing as I do the author and her work...what I did not expect was the emotional impact this sweet little story would have on me. I fell in love for those few hours. I was there, right there with Trevor and Mike, and their love that burned so brightly, so very sweetly. Writing a good short story is hard...it takes great restraint to keep the story as complete as possible while making sure it has ma ...more
Ami
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
Just like the title suggests, this holiday-related short story takes theme about Home ... whether it is a place or person. Trevor Carson is a vet and when he moves back to take over his dad's remote country practice, he realizes that he loves the place. Except that it also means long-distance relationship with his partner, Michael.

This story is pretty much angst-free. Although being apart for few months, Michael's character comes as understanding enough to see what really matters. There are no
L-D
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really nice story for the length. Trevor has taken over his father's veterinarian business but he had to move away from his lover Michael to do it. After being apart for a month, Michael comes to visit Trevor. This story, like the title, is about going where your heart is. It was very sweet and I liked the characters.
MostlyDelores
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Re-reading for Christmas. Love the Cake-Wrecks reference.

Lovely and sweet.
Heller
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Trevor and Michael about broke my heart. This was a wonderful short little holiday story about an established couple coming to a crossroads in their relationship.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Cute little Christmas story that wasn't all that Christmasy but felt good anyway.
Tamara
A perfect short holiday read!
UnusualChild{beppy}
4 stars

Synopsis: Trevor has returned to his hometown to take over his father's vet practice after he dies. Unfortunately, since it is a small community, he left his partner, Mike, behind. He's not out, and he also hasn't seen Mike for awhile, since it's hard to get away when he is the only vet in the area. It's Christmas, however, and Mike has come in. Trevor has to deal with a couple of emergencies, and it seems as though the two of them will never get to spend any time together.

What I liked:
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

Dr. Trevor Carson had a good life as a city veterinarian. When his father dies, Trevor goes back to his childhood home to take over his dad's remote country practice. The move was supposed to be temporary but Trevor finds himself loving the place with one exception: separation from his partner, Michael. When Michael comes up for a Christmas visit, they each have a chance to decide if home is a place or a person.

I really liked this short Christmas story. I wish it were longer! Both MCs w
Connie
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It goes into my favourites right now.
I I love it, absolutely love it.
A big city vet that has to move back to his home town and take over his father's practice.
His partner Michael is over for xmas.
Over the few hours of Christmas eve both Michael and Trevor realize there is no place like home and home is in each other's arms.
I enjoy this story so much. It was sweet, and Michael was absolutely adorable.
So patient with Trevor and his crazy hours, cooking for him, looking after him.
And I think Kaje
Edina Rose
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
What people will do for love...

Michael and Trevor have been together for a year when Trevor leaves his job and his life in the big city to look after his deceased father's veterinarian clinic in the middle of nowhere.

What I liked about this book: Michael and Trevor are committed and in a healthy relationship. And when it comes to make difficult decisions, each one puts the other first.

I like this author more and more.

Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned, m-m, short
Sweet christmasy story about a very dedicated vet and his very dedicated boyfriend.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thank you, SS, for the gift!!
Chris
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, romance, holiday, short, done, 2012
Sweet short holiday m/m romance about a vet who's been running his father's remote practice for the past few months since his father died, while his boyfriend is far away in the city.
Jess Candela
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I'm amazed at how much story Kaje Harper packs into so few words. Beautiful story.
Deeze
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute sweet short.

Entertaining, tissue worthy, but 2 sex scenes in such a short was over kill.

Not very Christmassy either apart from the date.
Teresa
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet!

I loved this established couple story! So many signs of a good relationship with live and compromise :) the animals were a bonus.
Sheilad37
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute short read.
Ruby
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rating: B+

This review originally appeared at Brief Encounters Reviews

A sweet holiday romance that really makes the most of its novelette length, this proved a great introduction to Kaje Harper’s writing for me.

Where the Heart Is is set over a few hours late on Christmas Eve, and begins with vet Trevor hoping to get away from the clinic when a local with a colicky pony turns up. He has a strong sense of duty to the animals in his care, but this couldn’t have come at a worse time because his boyfr
Plainbrownwrapper
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
4 stars

I always breathe a sigh of relief when I read a story by someone who can write professional prose. Kaje is a good writer, whether I happen to appreciate a specific plot line or not. Also, she is obviously familiar with veterinary practices -- she's used vets in at least three books that I know of, and she gets it mostly right -- and since that's a subject near and dear to me, that warms the tiny little cockles of my heart as well. Happy sigh.

This is a sweet story about a young veterinaria
C
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this! It was the kind of book that pulls you in a makes you really feel not only the love the characters have for each other, but also the place and the time and the air. Kaje Harper is wonderful at painting beautiful pictures of love and home in my head and my heart.

I started off giving this one 4 stars because I wanted a little more time with the characters, to live in their skins for a few more pages. Then I realized that was the worst reason to deduct stars, when in fact it was so lo
Feliz
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
Two men who have been together for about a year, recently relegated to a long - distance relationship by circumstance, reunite for the holidays - and perhaps for good. However, is there common ground where a small-town veterinarian and a computer programmer could stand together?
This was a sweet, uplifting holiday romance between two very likeable men who work together to make their relationship work. The characters as well as their problems were realistic, right out of life, nothing f
Kaetrin
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, ebook
Cute, sexy holiday-themed short about vet Trevor and his lover Mike a software developer, who have been having a long distance relationship for the past 3 months since Trevor's father died and Trevor returned to his hometown to deal with his father's vet practice. Mike has come out to visit Trev for Christmas.
Some obvious editing problems let this one down for me - for example, a pony changed it's name from "Banner" to "Major" in the middle of one scene and then changed back again.
It di
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Personal Shopper
  • Hopes and Fears
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • A Picture Perfect Holiday
  • A Summit City Christmas (Summit City, #2.5)
  • Beautiful Harmony (Conquest, #5.5)
  • Puppy, Car, and Snow (Ryan & Scott, #3)
  • Inspiration
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Holidays with the Bellskis, #2)
  • Simple Gifts (Cornwall Novellas, #2)
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • Gaudete
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • I Don't: A Christmas Wish
  • Merry Gentlemen
  • Jesse's Christmas
  • Something to Believe In
  • Making His List
I get asked about my name a lot. It's not something exotic, though. “Kaje” is pronounced just like “cage” – it’s an old nickname.

I was born in Montreal but have lived for 30 years in Minnesota, where the two seasons are Snow-removal and Road-repair, where the mosquito is the state bird, and where winter can be breathtakingly beautiful. Minnesota’s a kind, quiet (if sometimes chilly) place and it’s