Start by marking “Vegan Indian Cooking: 140 Simple and Healthy Vegan Recipes” as Want to Read:
Vegan Indian Cooking: 140 Simple and Healthy Vegan Recipes

Vegan Indian Cooking: 140 Simple and Healthy Vegan Recipes

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  376 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
This beautiful follow-up to Anupy Singla's widely praised first cookbook, the Indian Slow Cooker, is a unique guide to preparing favorite recipes from the Indian tradition using entirely vegan ingredients. Featuring more than 50 recipes, and illustrated with color photography throughout, these great recipes are all prepared in healthful versions that use vegan alternatives ...more
Published June 12th 2012 by Agate Surrey

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Indian Cooking, please sign up.
Shannon I have both and I prefer Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen. Part of this is because I like her style better. Anupy has a lot of dal recipes that don't…moreI have both and I prefer Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen. Part of this is because I like her style better. Anupy has a lot of dal recipes that don't specify which bean/legume to use and that bothers me. Richa specifies and gives alternatives. I also love everything I've made from VRIK, while VIC is a little more hit or miss. I'd suggest getting it from the library first and seeing if it works for you. (less)

Kris Goldhawk
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, favourite Indian cookbook ever! Doesn't even matter that all the recipes are vegan. Everytime I cook from it, my neighbors and friends ask what is and can I share the recipe. The band gobi is fantastic, even better if you replace the cabbage with shredded brussel sprouts.
Dee
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vegan
Recipes are too complicated with spices that would be hard to find. I'm not ready for these types of recipes yet.
Gina
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Beautiful pictures of Indian food. My mouth was watering! Lots of ingredients needed for each recipe...some unusual. may be easier to just go to local Indian restaurant.
Ella
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! Specially teaching us how to combine Indian spices!
Alisha Hanson-Glatzel
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, cookbook
I must say, there is a ton of seasonings I don't have. I ran all over yesterday finding the ingredients for dinner tonight. I hope it's yummy!!!

Many of the recipes are really good. I just can't bring myself to use the asafetida. Not only was it the most difficult seasoning to find, it smells just like gear oil. The smell is so foul and so strong, I had to put it in a glass jar because I could smell it all the way in my bedroom the first night I had it in the house.

I'd like to try her slow cooke
Cat
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Vegan Indian Cooking provides a nice introduction to Indian recipes, ingredients, and techniques. I'm new to Indian cooking and really appreciated the introductory sections that detailed the main spices. I wish it had more pictures. As someone who isn't super familiar with the cuisine or the terminology, pictures go a long way in helping decide whether or not to make something. I think I'll try a more beginner's cookbook first and come back to this when I know a bit more about what I'm doing.
Alice
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I checked this out of the library, renewed it a few times, then went and bought a copy. After several years of failing miserably at cooking Indian food at home, this book has helped me make delicious, inexpensive Indian feasts at home. You will need to go to an Indian grocery or order most of the spices online. You can get everything on Amazon but they seem to be more expensive than in a store.
Michelle
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Lovely book, full of delicious looking recipes and really practical ways to use a slow cooker to make healthy Indian meals. If only I could find the ingredients in my small Midwestern town and could find family members willing to try these with me.
Sunny
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful pictures of delicious food - I made a number of recipes from this book and a couple from Anupy Singla's blog. For some reason, easier than many other Indian recipes, but still authentic flavor.
Polly
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I was underwhelmed by this. It seems to me that there ought to be a lot more interesting recipes--a lot of Indian food veganizes very easily, often simply by not using ghee.
Lisa Boyd
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Awesome and accessible book which explains how to cook vegan Indian food. I love the way the author breaks down the ingredients and makes the recipes accessible to everyone.
Naomi
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Delightful, delicious, easy and vegan! Yay!
Maggie Fout
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am relatively new to Indian Food, and this is an awesome book. Really easy to use and the recipes are fantastic.
Cheryl
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are not many exclusively vegan Indian cookbooks on the market. This one is splendid and on my list to buy.
Esther Fishman
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Explains all the spices used and great recipes.
Angela Joyce
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Now that I've read it all the way through, it's time to try the recipes. I can't wait!
Jess
Feb 23, 2013 added it
Have to return this to library before cooking from it much. :( Will have to borrow it again!
Sherry
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Haven't made any of the recipes yet, but will! We have her slow cooker Indian book and it is AWESOME. I expect this will be the same. Plan to purchase this one!
Zachary A
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
pretty good recipe selection. could use more pictures. veganricha.com will offer more than this book. the recipes would be simplified by purchasing masalas from an indian grocery
Nan
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I love this book. The focus is on recipes with whole foods, not vegan products or meat substitutes. Great flavors.
Jill Paschal
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Although you may have to order a lot of the spices online or visit a specialty shop or Indian market, this was a nice overall introduction to basic Indian cooking.
Hilary Lang Greenebaum
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got a whole bunch of new yummy things to try! Excellent introduction appears very comprehensive.
Esme
May 28, 2015 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
I tried three or four of the recipes. They were quite good, except the tempeh tandoori, which was missing something.
Ellen
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great vegan cookbook. I use it all the time. Once you have your spices, the recipes are a BREEZE and so delicious and healthy!
Amisha
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
  • The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes
  • Triumph of the Lentil: Soy-Free Vegan Wholefoods for All Appetites
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Big Vegan
  • Teff Love: Adventures in Vegan Ethiopian Cooking
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods