Start by marking “At Yellow Lake” as Want to Read:
At Yellow Lake

At Yellow Lake

Etta, Peter and Jonah all find themselves at a cabin by the shore of Yellow Lake, and flung together in the terrifying series of events that follows.

Jonah has come to Yellow Lake to try to get in touch with his Ojibwe roots. Peter is there to bury a lock of his mother's hair - her final request. Etta is on the run from her mother's creepy boyfriend, Kyle, and his dodgy fr
Published June 7th 2012 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about At Yellow Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Yellow Lake

Start your review of At Yellow Lake
Genevieve F
It was an awesome book! I totally recommend this book! It is told by three different people.
Isabel8118
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This book did not impress me. When I first approached it, I expected something creepy and a bit scary-maybe with a mystery type feel. What certainly reinforced that idea was Anne Cassidy's description of how it "oozed menace".

However, I never truly felt that this book had a menacing feel. It was only after reading about 70% of the book that the action really started. And what came before that, was uninteresting-like it was fluff.

What was well done was the development of the idea of Jonah feeli
Liblee
Nov 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Won't even finish this book. I stopped at 172. It goes nowhere. Most teens don't have patience for the rambling thoughts and random actions which consume this novel that really has no plot.
Irene
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was riveting and had me hooked from the cover, title page and then the meeting Etta on the first page of chapter one. Jonah's journey to explore his ethnicity was interesting and relevant in today's times, as was Peter's efforts to honour his mum.
I enjoyed the mix of characters all teens with their own angst and issues and all trying to solve their problems on their own...is that really doable?
a problem shared is a problem halved is perhaps what they learn and that having friends and
Lauren Taylor
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn't realise it was a teen book when I picked it up. It had its moments but before I could get into the drama it was over. Hard to understand motives but I did like the idea of people from different walks of life colliding at one point.
Ranter88
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and my teenage sons did as well. Great, relatable characters... fun an thrilling plot... whats not to like? Highly recommend!
Addie Grell
Sep 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I felt that it was too much of a slow starting book and took too much time getting to the main storyline. I also felt that Etta's storyline of running away from her mom's boyfriend didn't match with Peter and Jonah's storylines. The way Peter and Etta met by both of them getting lost in the woods after Etta got in a car crash didn't make much sense to me. I wanted a thriller/mystery book but instead, I got a boring romance novel.
Once
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
The quest to find oneself always makes for a good story. Add in a little drama and some intense thrill, then you have yourself a great novel. At Yellow Lake has all these attributes which lends to the enriched drama displayed in the novel. The author, Jane McLoughlin does a wonderful job of showing the emotion and inter turmoil of the characters. As you read the book, you can't help but to have a sense of sympathy for the main characters. In At yellow Lake we get to know three teenagers, each de ...more
Maggie
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Another book that would have benefitted from the half star system! I felt more strongly than "liked it" but not quite to "really liked it". My favorite part was the relationships between the characters, and my least favorite part was the unbelievability of the adults - a common problem in YA literature.

Jonah, Etta, and Peter all end up at Yellow Lake on separate quests: Jonah, a part Ojibwe Indian on his mother's side, wants to get back in touch with his ancestral roots. Etta is running from her
Pamela Todd
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-mg, read-in-2013
At Yellow Lake was an exciting mix of action and adventure, inner quests and courage, and forming friendships.

Three teens are drawn to Yellow Lake: Jonah, part Ojibwe Indian who is trying to connect with his heritage. Peter, who promised his mother to bury a lock of her hair by the lake after her death. Etta, who is on the run from her mother’s boyfriend, Kyle. Peter’s family owns a cabin at the lake, and after he helps Etta escape from Kyle, they hide out in the cabin. Shortly after the meet Jo
Luna
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-authors

At Yellow Lake is different from anything I’ve read this year, it’s intense and emotional. There are some moments in the story that a heart-breaking. Jane McLoughlin has provided three very different characters that all have their own stories – which bring them together at Yellow Lake.

I did enjoy this book but it took me a while to get used to the narration. Each character’s story is told in alternating chapters throughout the book. Etta’s is in first person, whereas Peter and Jonah’s
Trixi
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This book had great potential but never fulfilled what I was expecting. Etta has recently moved to near Yellow lake with her mother, a wandering soul who seems to be attracted to unsavory men. Etta feels uncomfortable around the latest boyfriend, Kyle, who seems to put moves on her and also brings drugs into their home. Jonah is on a personal quest to get in touch with his Indian heritage. He is at the lake trying to live off the land and learn what it is to truly be Indian. Peter arrives at the ...more
Anne
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it
At Yellow Lake is aimed at older children, it's a fairly good read for adults too, but doesn't cross-over as well as other YA books that I've read recently.
Told in alternating chapters by each of the three main characters, the background of the main players; Etta, Peter and Jonah are explained well. The reader knows exactly who they are and why they are at the cabin on Yellow Lake. The young characters are very well done, each with individual voices, each with their own character and each with a
G. Lawrence
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I cant say I found this book particularly creepy, as per the description on the cover, but I did find it dark, especially when it came to Etta's story. Well written, poetic in parts, and I enjoyed the development of the three teenagers, their reasons for coming to the lake and how their stories came to converge. Three lost souls who find courage and companionship together, face dangerous odds, and find the spirit they need to live in the 'real' world again afterwards. Good read.
Kristin
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good mystery/suspense/thriller book for high school kids (due to some use of the f bomb). Found it in the staff picks section at Barnes & Noble. Was pleasantly surprised to find the settings to be the Twin Cities, Duluth, and Lake Superior areas. That was a fun surprise having lived up there for 14 years. I always like when you can visualize the settings because you've actually been there. ...more
Clara
Aug 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-read
I did not enjoy this at all. It was something with this that bothered me. The characters felt... not real or just boring? The story was boring as well. You knew what was going to happen and at the same time did it all feel just weird and boring. I was so excited to read this - because it sounded so interesting - but it was a complete let down.
salelbar
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't think this book quite knows that it wants to be. It is clearly YA but with a couple of unpleasant and definitely adult moments - and as someone else pointed out, a few uses of the f-bomb. It had promise but lacked substance. I read it cover to cover in one day... It certainly doesn't 'ooze menace' as the strap line would have you believe, though.
Debra
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
At Yellow Lake is a young adult novel following three young people running away from troubled lives. They meet at an old cabin at Yellow Lake, arriving for different reasons from from different places, as if fate put them there to face their worst nightmares while learning to really care about each other and realize what they did have, rather than what they lacked.
Nur Aisyah Ong
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Probably written by an overly optimist in love yet she has no sorts of encounter so these characters deal in absolute. Absolute innocence, absolute hatred, and absolute grief. Seems unfair to brand this book as a mysterious and possibly gruelling story when it looks to be another love story, poorly written.
Marie Danielle
Apr 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Terrible!

The only reason I gave it one star is because how the author chose unique characters but overall it's just horrible. But maybe one day I'll read it again, but not until I'm a little older.

Theme: Actions speak louder than words.
William
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
*I actually finished this 3 days ago, I didn't have wifi to update*
This was ok to me, but just that. Jonah was annoying in the beginning, and Peter was extremely annoying throughout the whole book. The character's actions annoyed me also sometimes. It ended pretty good though.
Melannie :)
Nov 15, 2011 marked it as to-read
mystery, crimes, and suspense?! I'M IN!!
Candy Gourlay
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A new voice that resonates with truth.
Melissa
May 22, 2012 added it
Shelves: ya, did-not-finish
This book suffers from an audience problem. As in: who is this book supposed to be for??
Rocio
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This a fantastic new writer. The characters are so realistic. And it has a very good sense of humor underneath the mystery, the tension and the cruelty of some chapters.
Great book.
Savita Kalhan
A great teen/YA read - absorbing, pacy, I loved it!
Becky
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this for the student book group. It was a bit more explicit than I was expecting.
Omena
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Honestly I expected a bit more mystery. I liked the setting but the characters frustrated me a lot so I'd have to say it wasn't my favorite.
Helen Langley
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Good beginning but the story goes nowhere.
Sorcha
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh.

• Sjukt stressad: En liten handbok i att hantera stress i vardagen
  • Boot Camp
  • Krisstöd vid olyckor, katastrofer och svåra händelser
  • The Sky Is Everywhere
  • An Evil Guest
  • Folk med ångest
  • The Thicket
  • In the Rogue Blood
  • Tombland (Matthew Shardlake, #7)
  • Lovecraft Country
  • Wait Till Helen Comes
  • Middle School: Get Me Out of Here!  (Middle School, #2)
  • Eggs
  • Stolen Children
  • Into the Killing Seas
  • Slob
  • Toby Wheeler: Eighth-Grade Benchwarmer
  • Surrounded By Sharks
Jane McLoughlin was born in Minnesota and lived in several parts of the USA before she met her future husband in San Francisco and followed him to the UK. Over 20 years later, she is still there, living with her family on the south coast of England. "At Yellow Lake" is her first novel for young people.