Start by marking “Her Sweetest Downfall (Forever Girl, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Her Sweetest Downfall (Forever Girl, #1.5)

Her Sweetest Downfall

(Forever Girl #1.5)

Ophelia's been successful at hiding her true identity, until the mark of the serpent appears on her neck—a death sentence, should it be seen by anyone in her town. Hiding the mark might save her from falling victim to the witch hunts of her era, but the scorching sensation it carries can’t be ignored.

When the mysterious Ethan is sent to collect her for a life of something
Published July 2012 by Immortal Ink Publishing (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Her Sweetest Downfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Sweetest Downfall

Start your review of Her Sweetest Downfall (Forever Girl, #1.5)
Anton
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Paranormal/Fantasy/Romance
An enchanting, magical tale full of mystique, imagination and a unique twist on Romance.

Her Sweetest Downfall is a prequel to The Forever Girl series, but could be read as a standalone book. The story was structured in the traditional model, with a beginning, middle and end, so no cliffhangers here! Which was satisfying.

The story opens up with Ophelia, who wakes up one day with "Mark of the Serpent" on her neck--a painful wound that winds up being more than such. On her way to deliver a letter
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Few months ago I've had a chance to read The Forever Girl, first book in this series. In the meantime I learned how the whole structure of this series would look like. There will be three books that will talk about Sophia and also three novels that will talk about some characters in the whole trilogy. Now this is the first novel and it's about Ophelia.

Storyline. For those of you who had read The Forever Girl you should remember Ophelia from the end of the book. There was short story about her.
Robert Zimmermann
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
(Review of an ARC of Her Sweetest Downfall )

Reading this novella solidified Rebecca Hamilton on my list of top ten authors. With her debut novel, The Forever Girl: Sophia’s Journey, I had a feeling I’d enjoy reading more of Hamilton’s writing. I was right. Her Sweetest Downfall blew me away.

I was very pleased with the way this novella played out. For those who haven’t read book one in the series, I feel that they can still read this novella. I think that’s a great advantage Her Sweetest Downfall
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Original Romancing the Dark Side Review:

A great introduction to a new paranormal world I definitely will be revisiting!

Her Sweetest Downfall is set in Regency England, in a paranormal world of shifters, fae and immortal elementals called Cruor (who share common traits with vampires). The story introduces us to Ophelia, a ladies maid who discovers a strange mark of an ouroboros (an ancient symbol of a serpent eating its own tail) on her neck that she desperately tries to conceal, fearing pers
Georgianna Simpson
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Her Sweetest Downfall by Rebecca Hamilton
Review by Georgianna Simpson

Her sweetest downfall is a very unusual and interesting story. Meeting Ophelia was a real treat. She’s a sweet young lady who circumstances have given a very difficult life, and this journey isn’t going to make it any better…in most ways.
The fear of having a mark come up “out of the blue” on your neck one morning, especially in a time and around people who believe all things like this are evil is unimaginable. To have your fath
Samantha LaFantasie
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Her sweetest downfall, indeed.

I must say that I'm ever impressed with Rebecca's writing and the way that this story, though a novella derived from The Forever Girl series, stands well enough on its own.

While fighting the ache to be with a man named Ethan, an Ankou, Ophelia learns that the stories she was told as a child were real. Even more, she's given a purpose by the Universe revealed in the ouroboros that appears on her body. A purpose that involves her becoming the very thing she despises..
Anubha
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Her Sweetest Downfall , by Rebecca Hamilton

Before reading: The day I finished reading ‘The Forever Girl’ I had many questions in my mind about the queen-being pure breed, about Ophelia- why is she helping Sophia and many such questions. And when Rebecca told me that some of these questions will be answered in this novella I couldn’t wait for it. Finally Her Sweetest Downfall arrived in my mail and I was so excited to read it to know more about the world that Becca created in the forever girl
Meagan
I really loved The Forever Girl (book #1 in the series). In the first book, during a battle with the Queen of the Maltorim, Sophia is helped by one of the Queens guards. This guard, Ophelia, comes essentially out of no where and we don't get much of her back story.

Her Sweetest Downfall is Ophelia's story. How she was turned into a Cruor and why she is now helping Sophia are all explained.

There are no spoilers for the first book in this novella, so it could be read before or after reading The For
Iris (InstagramREADS)
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ophelia’s is a young woman who has been successful at hiding her true identity when keeping low profile at a mansion with some rich lady to find out what happens to her mother. Until one day she looked in the mirror and discovering the mark of the serpent on her neck. A death sentence in this time of year (1880) before you know it the people think you're a witch and hang you. When she is send out by her mistress to deliver a letter late in the evening she find trouble. Rescued by the hands of th ...more
Christie Rich
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Hamilton has once again wowed me with her writing in her latest release, Her Sweetest Downfall. I fell in love with Hamilton's characters in The Forever Girl The Forever Girl Sophia , so I wasn't too surprised when I found Ophelia's story enthralling.

We drop into Ophelia's life as she heads off to run an errand for her employer. But on her journey into the woods she hears a violin playing. Her experience turns to terror when she is chased by a stranger who whisks her away from her ordinary world. The man in
Stefan Yates
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital-copy
This novella is a nice addition to the first novel in the Forever Girl series. It fills in some history and mythology while also providing an interesting and entertaining story unto itself. Rebecca Hamilton has a flair for creating a tale that grabs the reader and keeps their interest from start to finish.

If I had to pick something that I didn't particularly care for in this story, I'd have to say that the romance element was a bit much for my taste at times, but only a bit. Of course, since I'm
Cyndi Delia
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although I wished I had read the preceding book in this series ( I did feel like I was missing something)I still really liked this book. This was a fresh take on the paranormal. Ms. Hamilton has a poetic, easy style that had me reading this novella in almost one sitting. Ethan and Ophelia are engaging beautifully developed characters. I plan to check out the other book in this series.
Debbie Herbert
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome writing! I immediately downloaded The Forever Girl after reading the novella.
Sandy Chapman
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good short story

Interesting introduction to the Forever Girl series. Without giving away too much of the series, it tells the story of someone who will have a role in the coming books. (I have not yet read the series) Set in the 1800's, this is the story of a young girl who has lost her family and has taken the job as a maid in the hope to find what has become of her mother. It is about her journey into what she had always considered fairy tales told too her by her mother when she was sma
Jill Urbanek Gauger
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ophelia is working as a maid for Lady Karina. She is trying to find out what happened to her mother. A mark shows up on Ophelia’s shoulder and her journey to her destiny begins.
She meets Ethan Forrester on her way to deliver a letter for Lady Karina.
This is a book of fate and destiny and I really enjoyed this book.
H.M Lindeman
I love anything dark fantasy and paranormal and I loved the supernatural world building with the different elementals and creatures. Very well written, but I could not get past the sudden love story that just seemed rushed and a lot like Stockholm syndrome.
Véronique Laplante Grenier
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great companion to the Forever Girl serie. Really loved this novella.
William Vegvari
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this prequel to the Forever Girl Series. A great intro to Ophelia beginnings.
Looking forward to the rest of the series
Ann
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
The task that Sophia Parsons (from the first book The Forever Girl) is destined to fulfill has been hundreds of years in the making, with pieces of the puzzles strategically placed for their turn in Sophia’s journey.

We’re first introduced to Ophelia nearing the end of The Forever Girl, as she plays an instrumental role in Sophia’s escape. Now in the novella Her Sweetest Downfall we travel back in time to see a glimpse into the inner workings of this intricate story.

I love these covers oh so much
Charity
Her Sweetest Downfall is a short story/ novella in The Forever girl series by Rebecca Hamilton. Although this story is a precursor to Ms. Hamilton’s debut novel, The Forever Girl-I feel can be read as a stand alone. This book is more of a companion novella and not necessarily a prequel. However, being that I have read The Forever Girl, I found that a few questions that had cropped up through out that novel became much clearer after reading Her Sweetest Downfall.

I will be honest and say that norm
Mini
(Review of an ARC )

This would be my first time receiving an ARC, and I was beyond excited. A fan of The Forever Girl since I first read it last Feb, like any other fan of any awesome book series.. I was just waiting for the next. Thanks to the novella - I'll survive the wait till the next in the series is out.

It's short and you will be able to finish it in one sitting. In book #1, when you meet this mysterious woman Ophelia who helps Sophia, you begin to have this strong urge to know more about
Opal
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Thomas Winship
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Like an unrepentant criminal returning to the scene of the crime, Rebecca Hamilton brazenly saunters back to the world she created in The Forever Girl: Sophia's Journey for her latest release: Her Sweetest Downfall: Ophelia’s Journey.

This time, instead of meeting a beleaguered young woman in current times, we’re introduced to a beleaguered young woman some two hundred years in the past; a dark time in which women aren’t allowed to wear pants (and men still aren’t allowed to wear dresses!) and it
Kristin Ravelle
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Rebecca Hamilton has a nice, smooth writing style that makes it a pleasure to read Her Sweetest Downfall quickly. I haven’t read any of the other books in this series. I would give this 3.5 rating.

The reader is launched into action straight away with the abduction of Ophelia by the mysterious Ethan of Rome who has the ability to travel via the inbetween anywhere in a few moments.

Ophelia is a sweet girl who nevertheless has some sass and sensibility. I’m not sure how I feel about the premise of a
LaviniaAlexandra P.
I'm confused. This book is awesome and I have nothing bad to say, however it didn't have that final touch that makes a book really deserve 5 stars.

Isn't this weird?

But I loved the book. It was delicious. Ophelia is a cool character, though my favorite character is Lenore. The Ophelia/Ethan couple is epic. Unfortunately, the end scene seemed unfit for me, but I can't say it was bad.

The ranking would be 4.5 stars
As an ending to this review, I have a note for the author: @InkMuse you are damn cool!
Pat aka Tygyr
This book is part of the book bundle Pandora. While interesting, so far it is not one of my favorites in this bundle.
Ophelia is a servant in the same house her mother disappeared from. She is hoping to find out what happened to her. Ophelia has a mark that she was told to keep hidden. People consider it a witch's mark. She could be killed just for having it. Her mistress sends her on an errand on horseback after dark. She knows it isn't safe to travel alone. Her horse throws her and runs away. A
Julie-anne
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Ophelia wakes up to find an Ouroboros on her collarbone - this is bad news for her as it'll apparently get her branded as a witch. She gets sent on an errand by her boss and loses her horse then gets grabbed and stolen by a dude. Dude is Ethan who says he has been sent to help her, he has to make sure she fulfills her destiny. But of course they fall for each other - which is not a good thing since they won't see each other after her destiny is fulfilled. She changes as she should do and infiltr ...more
Juana
When Ophelia was first introduced into the story in the first book I had wished to read more about her. To know why she was helping Sophia so it was very awesome that Rebecca Hamilton brought us this book that told us Ophelia's journey how she got to the Maltorim and how she knew about Sophia.

The whole story was perfectly written from when Ophelia discovers the mark on her skin, getting send to deliver a letter that will never arrive to her destination because she was lured to where the music of
Jordan
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-own
I read this book as part of the anthology Vampire Romance Boxed Set: For the Love of the Vampire which I received an ARC copy of in exchange for my honest review.

This book ends in cliffhanger with a HFN ending (the characters are happy, but it is completely uncertain if they will remain happy). I had a bit of a hard time getting into this book, but it got better as I went along. Ophelia (Cruor) and Ethan's (Ankou) relationship is incredibly complicated. They both have a fated mission they must c
Kathy
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Rebecca Hamilton has a talent for storytelling, especially intimate and action scenes and I will continue to read her books that she puts out.

Her Sweetest Downfall is is a novella based on a supporting character in The Forever Girl series.

My main issue with this book was Ophelia's accent. It was distracting and poorly executed. Every time she spoke, I would stop and try to figure out her accent because the only thing that indicated she had an accent was the "H" missin (ie 'ow and 'ere). Otherwis
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pure Textuality B...: NOW BOOKING: Her Sweetest Downfall Bog Tour 1 3 Jan 03, 2013 05:05PM

• Taken by the Beast (Conduit #1)
  • The Devil's Fool
  • Coven Keepers (Dark Fae Hollows, #10)
  • Dragon Called (Prince of the Other Worlds, #1)
  • Magical Mayhem (Witches of Gales Haven, #2)
  • Dragon Destined (Prince of the Other Worlds, #2)
  • Grimoire Saga Box Set (The Grimoire Saga, #1-3)
  • Exoskeleton
  • Earthcore
  • Grey Eyes (The Forever Trilogy, #1)
  • Sleeping with the Beast (The Conduit #2)
  • Beauty's Curse (Once Upon a Princess, #1)
  • Reckoning (After the Thaw #4)
  • Apocalypse Z book 5 Rise of the Undead
  • Silver (The Silver, #1)
  • Rebels and Realms
  • Assassin Witch (The Bonegates, #2)
  • Scales (Falling in Deep Collection)
Rebecca Hamilton writes Paranormal Fantasy, Horror, and Literary Fiction. She lives in Florida with her husband and four kids, along with multiple writing personalities that range from morbid to literary. Having a child diagnosed with autism has inspired her to illuminate the world through the eyes of characters who see things differently.

Rebecca Hamilton is represented by the ever-more-amazing Ro

Forever Girl (3 books)
  • The Forever Girl (Forever Girl, #1)
  • Come, the Dark: Cordovae's Journey (Forever Girl, #2)
  • Of Flesh and Fire (Forever Girl, #3)

News & Interviews