Start by marking “Her Sweetest Downfall (Forever Girl, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Her Sweetest Downfall (Forever Girl, #1.5)

Her Sweetest Downfall (Forever Girl #1.5)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  376 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Ophelia's been successful at hiding her true identity, until the mark of the serpent appears on her neck—a death sentence, should it be seen by anyone in her town. Hiding the mark might save her from falling victim to the witch hunts of her era, but the scorching sensation it carries can’t be ignored.

When the mysterious Ethan is sent to collect her for a life of something
Published July 2012 by Immortal Ink Publishing (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Her Sweetest Downfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Sweetest Downfall

Anton
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Paranormal/Fantasy/Romance
An enchanting, magical tale full of mystique, imagination and a unique twist on Romance.

Her Sweetest Downfall is a prequel to The Forever Girl series, but could be read as a standalone book. The story was structured in the traditional model, with a beginning, middle and end, so no cliffhangers here! Which was satisfying.

The story opens up with Ophelia, who wakes up one day with "Mark of the Serpent" on her neck--a painful wound that winds up being more than such. On her way to deliver a letter
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
Few months ago I've had a chance to read The Forever Girl, first book in this series. In the meantime I learned how the whole structure of this series would look like. There will be three books that will talk about Sophia and also three novels that will talk about some characters in the whole trilogy. Now this is the first novel and it's about Ophelia.

Storyline. For those of you who had read The Forever Girl you should remember Ophelia from the end of the book. There was short story about her.
Robert Zimmermann
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
(Review of an ARC of Her Sweetest Downfall )

Reading this novella solidified Rebecca Hamilton on my list of top ten authors. With her debut novel, The Forever Girl: Sophia’s Journey, I had a feeling I’d enjoy reading more of Hamilton’s writing. I was right. Her Sweetest Downfall blew me away.

I was very pleased with the way this novella played out. For those who haven’t read book one in the series, I feel that they can still read this novella. I think that’s a great advantage Her Sweetest Downfall
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Original Romancing the Dark Side Review:

A great introduction to a new paranormal world I definitely will be revisiting!

Her Sweetest Downfall is set in Regency England, in a paranormal world of shifters, fae and immortal elementals called Cruor (who share common traits with vampires). The story introduces us to Ophelia, a ladies maid who discovers a strange mark of an ouroboros (an ancient symbol of a serpent eating its own tail) on her neck that she desperately tries to conceal, fearing persec
Georgianna Simpson
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Her Sweetest Downfall by Rebecca Hamilton
Review by Georgianna Simpson

Her sweetest downfall is a very unusual and interesting story. Meeting Ophelia was a real treat. She’s a sweet young lady who circumstances have given a very difficult life, and this journey isn’t going to make it any better…in most ways.
The fear of having a mark come up “out of the blue” on your neck one morning, especially in a time and around people who believe all things like this are evil is unimaginable. To have your fath
Samantha LaFantasie
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Her sweetest downfall, indeed.

I must say that I'm ever impressed with Rebecca's writing and the way that this story, though a novella derived from The Forever Girl series, stands well enough on its own.

While fighting the ache to be with a man named Ethan, an Ankou, Ophelia learns that the stories she was told as a child were real. Even more, she's given a purpose by the Universe revealed in the ouroboros that appears on her body. A purpose that involves her becoming the very thing she despises..
Anubha
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Her Sweetest Downfall , by Rebecca Hamilton

Before reading: The day I finished reading ‘The Forever Girl’ I had many questions in my mind about the queen-being pure breed, about Ophelia- why is she helping Sophia and many such questions. And when Rebecca told me that some of these questions will be answered in this novella I couldn’t wait for it. Finally Her Sweetest Downfall arrived in my mail and I was so excited to read it to know more about the world that Becca created in the forever girl.

A
Meagan
I really loved The Forever Girl (book #1 in the series). In the first book, during a battle with the Queen of the Maltorim, Sophia is helped by one of the Queens guards. This guard, Ophelia, comes essentially out of no where and we don't get much of her back story.

Her Sweetest Downfall is Ophelia's story. How she was turned into a Cruor and why she is now helping Sophia are all explained.

There are no spoilers for the first book in this novella, so it could be read before or after reading The For
Iris (Paranormal Cravings Book Reviews)
Ophelia’s is a young woman who has been successful at hiding her true identity when keeping low profile at a mansion with some rich lady to find out what happens to her mother. Until one day she looked in the mirror and discovering the mark of the serpent on her neck. A death sentence in this time of year (1880) before you know it the people think you're a witch and hang you. When she is send out by her mistress to deliver a letter late in the evening she find trouble. Rescued by the hands of th ...more
Christie Rich
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Hamilton has once again wowed me with her writing in her latest release, Her Sweetest Downfall. I fell in love with Hamilton's characters in The Forever Girl The Forever Girl Sophia's Journey (Forever Girl, #1) by Rebecca Hamilton, so I wasn't too surprised when I found Ophelia's story enthralling.

We drop into Ophelia's life as she heads off to run an errand for her employer. But on her journey into the woods she hears a violin playing. Her experience turns to terror when she is chased by a stranger who whisks her away from her ordinary world. The man infor
Stefan Yates
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital-copy
This novella is a nice addition to the first novel in the Forever Girl series. It fills in some history and mythology while also providing an interesting and entertaining story unto itself. Rebecca Hamilton has a flair for creating a tale that grabs the reader and keeps their interest from start to finish.

If I had to pick something that I didn't particularly care for in this story, I'd have to say that the romance element was a bit much for my taste at times, but only a bit. Of course, since I'm
Cyndi Delia
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although I wished I had read the preceding book in this series ( I did feel like I was missing something)I still really liked this book. This was a fresh take on the paranormal. Ms. Hamilton has a poetic, easy style that had me reading this novella in almost one sitting. Ethan and Ophelia are engaging beautifully developed characters. I plan to check out the other book in this series.
Debbie Herbert
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome writing! I immediately downloaded The Forever Girl after reading the novella.
Sandy Chapman
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good short story

Interesting introduction to the Forever Girl series. Without giving away too much of the series, it tells the story of someone who will have a role in the coming books. (I have not yet read the series) Set in the 1800's, this is the story of a young girl who has lost her family and has taken the job as a maid in the hope to find what has become of her mother. It is about her journey into what she had always considered fairy tales told too her by her mother when she was sma
Ann
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
The task that Sophia Parsons (from the first book The Forever Girl) is destined to fulfill has been hundreds of years in the making, with pieces of the puzzles strategically placed for their turn in Sophia’s journey.

We’re first introduced to Ophelia nearing the end of The Forever Girl, as she plays an instrumental role in Sophia’s escape. Now in the novella Her Sweetest Downfall we travel back in time to see a glimpse into the inner workings of this intricate story.

I love these covers oh so much
Charity
Her Sweetest Downfall is a short story/ novella in The Forever girl series by Rebecca Hamilton. Although this story is a precursor to Ms. Hamilton’s debut novel, The Forever Girl-I feel can be read as a stand alone. This book is more of a companion novella and not necessarily a prequel. However, being that I have read The Forever Girl, I found that a few questions that had cropped up through out that novel became much clearer after reading Her Sweetest Downfall.

I will be honest and say that norm
Mini
(Review of an ARC )

This would be my first time receiving an ARC, and I was beyond excited. A fan of The Forever Girl since I first read it last Feb, like any other fan of any awesome book series.. I was just waiting for the next. Thanks to the novella - I'll survive the wait till the next in the series is out.

It's short and you will be able to finish it in one sitting. In book #1, when you meet this mysterious woman Ophelia who helps Sophia, you begin to have this strong urge to know more about
Opal
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Thomas Winship
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Like an unrepentant criminal returning to the scene of the crime, Rebecca Hamilton brazenly saunters back to the world she created in The Forever Girl: Sophia's Journey for her latest release: Her Sweetest Downfall: Ophelia’s Journey.

This time, instead of meeting a beleaguered young woman in current times, we’re introduced to a beleaguered young woman some two hundred years in the past; a dark time in which women aren’t allowed to wear pants (and men still aren’t allowed to wear dresses!) and it
Kristin Ravelle
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Rebecca Hamilton has a nice, smooth writing style that makes it a pleasure to read Her Sweetest Downfall quickly. I haven’t read any of the other books in this series. I would give this 3.5 rating.

The reader is launched into action straight away with the abduction of Ophelia by the mysterious Ethan of Rome who has the ability to travel via the inbetween anywhere in a few moments.

Ophelia is a sweet girl who nevertheless has some sass and sensibility. I’m not sure how I feel about the premise of a
Pat aka Tygyr
This book is part of the book bundle Pandora. While interesting, so far it is not one of my favorites in this bundle.
Ophelia is a servant in the same house her mother disappeared from. She is hoping to find out what happened to her. Ophelia has a mark that she was told to keep hidden. People consider it a witch's mark. She could be killed just for having it. Her mistress sends her on an errand on horseback after dark. She knows it isn't safe to travel alone. Her horse throws her and runs away. A
Juana
When Ophelia was first introduced into the story in the first book I had wished to read more about her. To know why she was helping Sophia so it was very awesome that Rebecca Hamilton brought us this book that told us Ophelia's journey how she got to the Maltorim and how she knew about Sophia.

The whole story was perfectly written from when Ophelia discovers the mark on her skin, getting send to deliver a letter that will never arrive to her destination because she was lured to where the music of
Julie-anne
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Ophelia wakes up to find an Ouroboros on her collarbone - this is bad news for her as it'll apparently get her branded as a witch. She gets sent on an errand by her boss and loses her horse then gets grabbed and stolen by a dude. Dude is Ethan who says he has been sent to help her, he has to make sure she fulfills her destiny. But of course they fall for each other - which is not a good thing since they won't see each other after her destiny is fulfilled. She changes as she should do and infiltr ...more
Jo
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I read this book as part of the anthology Vampire Romance Boxed Set: For the Love of the Vampire which I received an ARC copy of in exchange for my honest review.

This book ends in cliffhanger with a HFN ending (the characters are happy, but it is completely uncertain if they will remain happy). I had a bit of a hard time getting into this book, but it got better as I went along. Ophelia (Cruor) and Ethan's (Ankou) relationship is incredibly complicated. They both have a fated mission they must c
Katrina Marie
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm so happy we finally get to learn a little bit about Ophelia. When we met her in Forever Girl, she was full of this mysterious past. But it's not mysterious anymore. ;)

The plot was very carried out very quickly. Ophelia finds herself thrown into this world she doesn't completely believe is real. Ophelia comes to terms fast with what her mark means pretty fast. One day she's completely against it, and the next she's like "Let's do this." My only complaint is her feelings toward Ethan were extr
Jen McConnel
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of Rebecca Hamilton’s Forever Girl series, I eagerly downloaded this free novella. What a treat!

Ophelia is a servant in England at the turn of the nineteenth century. Her father wanted better things for her, but her father is dead and her mother is missing, so Ophelia is left to make her own choices. She goes into service not just to earn a living, however: her employers also employed her mother shortly before she vanished.

When Ophelia meets a stranger in the woods, her life changes for
Jess
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ophelia's Journey is part of The Forever Girl Journals. This time we get to know Ophelia. She works for a family in a time where conjectures and suspicion could make anyone persecuted. A fateful day, an ouroboros mark formed on her neck, causing the change of events that will transform her forever.

The novella continuous with the paranormal mythic world of beings created in Sophia's Journey. Here we see Ophelia becoming part of this world of creatures as a Cruor. Story is engaging and it's notabl
Kathy
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Rebecca Hamilton has a talent for storytelling, especially intimate and action scenes and I will continue to read her books that she puts out.

Her Sweetest Downfall is is a novella based on a supporting character in The Forever Girl series.

My main issue with this book was Ophelia's accent. It was distracting and poorly executed. Every time she spoke, I would stop and try to figure out her accent because the only thing that indicated she had an accent was the "H" missin (ie 'ow and 'ere). Otherwis
Patricia Romero
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of The Forever Girl series, this was the perfect companion book to give me a more in depth look at Ophelia. Her background and what drives her.
Fans of the paranormal and of The Forever Girl series will enjoy it very much. Although a part of the Forever Girl Series, this book holds its own as a great read. The author has done a really nice job of putting everything together.
When we meet Ophelia, she is trying to hide an odd tattoo that has shown up on her neck. She doesn't know what it i
Patricia
I think I enjoyed this book even more than the last. I feel Rebecca Hamilton's writing has matured quite a bit since the first Forever Girl book and I can't wait for what she's planning to bring to the next book. The kindle version has a couple of spelling mistakes that sort of bothered me while reading but the story was really good. Obviously this is just a little treat for us readers and fans before the second Forever Girl book comes out but I found the Ophelia's story quite profound and inter ...more
Pure Textuality B...: NOW BOOKING: Her Sweetest Downfall Bog Tour 1 3 Jan 03, 2013 05:05PM
  • The Journey Begins
  • The Sin Collector (The Sin Collector, #1)
  • A Prescription for Possession (Van Helsing Organization, #1)
  • When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)
  • Last Flight Out
  • Dance Of The Goblins (The Goblin, #1)
  • Vaempires: Revolution (The Evolutionary War #1)
  • Four in the Morning
  • Never Ceese (Thirsting for Blood, #1)
  • Zan (Spiritdell, #1)
  • Tats
  • Something Wicked (Mystics & Mayhem, #2)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Finding Cassilia
  • Transition (Chimera Hunters, #1)
  • My Twisted Drink
  • League of Strays
  • Butterfly Kisses (The Butterfly Chronicles, #2)
Rebecca Hamilton writes Paranormal Fantasy, Horror, and Literary Fiction. She lives in Florida with her husband and four kids, along with multiple writing personalities that range from morbid to literary. Having a child diagnosed with autism has inspired her to illuminate the world through the eyes of characters who see things differently.

Rebecca Hamilton is represented by the ever-more-amazing Ro
More about Rebecca Hamilton

Forever Girl (3 books)
  • The Forever Girl (The Forever Girl #1)
  • Come, the Dark: Cordovae's Journey (Forever Girl, #2)
  • Of Flesh and Fire (Forever Girl, #3)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • As You Wish (A Summerhouse Novel)
    $12.01 $2.99
  • Love, Life, and the List
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Top Ten
    $9.00 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)