Start by marking “Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season” as Want to Read:
Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season

Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season

(Politically Correct Bedtime Stories #3)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  873 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Whether your favorite holiday story is "A Christmas Carol", "The Story of Hanukkah", or "'Twas the Night Before Christmas", you'll find it transformed to reflect current sensibilities in Politically Correct Holiday Stories. Injecting our popular holiday fables with a modern perspective is no easy task, but someone had to do it -- and who better than the proven master of cu ...more
Published October 1st 1995 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Politically Correct Holiday Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politically Correct Holiday Stories

Melki
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
One winter day, their frustrated caregiver sent them outside to play. A layer of fresh snow had fallen the previous night, the first of the season, and the world outside looked as heavily frosted as a matrimonial enslavement cake. As everything around them glistened, Bobby and Betty tried to agree on what games to play.
Should they make a snow fort? Too militaristic, said Betty.
How about snow angels? No, commented Bobby, they had been raised agnostic. Besides, such a public display of religious f
M0rfeus
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, politics
Political Correctness has turned "the language of Kings James and Lear" (quote courtesy of Jay McInerney) into a hodgepodge of meaningless yet trendy words worthy of Orwell's 1984. This book satirizes the PC movement in regard to some of our traditional Christmas (pardon me, "Holiday") stories.

My personal favorite is the PC "A Christmas Carol". The immortal first line of the original - "Marley was dead: to begin with." Becomes "Marley was non-viable, to begin with".

Enjoy--but probably best to re
Eric
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farce
A perfect addition to your Christmas, er, non-denominational, unoffensive, non-specific late-year celebrations.
Jason
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Humor, satire, parody
Recommended to Jason by: Found it on mama's bookshelf
Shelves: christmas, 2014, humor
Another difficult review to write. I'm going to try to do it without getting into my personal politics. I had so much running through my mind, but it doesn't belong here. (Not that I let that stop me usually, but I'm going to try this time). I don't play ball with political correctness myself, and occasionally earn the scowls of more cultivated "persuns." I also try not to go out of my way to offend anyone, but it does happen accidentally. There's a happy medium here.

Cosby Key to Failure photo CosbyKeytoFailure.jpg

Oh, come on. Just because h
Gerry
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually like to re-read 'A Christmas Carol' around Christmas each year. This time, instead of the Charles Dickens original (which I still might re-read), I have read James Finn Garner's politically correct version. The same message is presented but in quite a different way!

In this version Scrooge and Marley were business partners in 'a ruthless capitalistic operation that took advantage of people's caffeine addictions and exploited coffee farmers in developing nations'! Money was still Scrooge
Katie Harder-schauer
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of stories that I read back in high school and really enjoyed. Rereading it as a very liberally minded adult immediately following the 2016 election, it provided just the levity I needed, while also fulfilling my need for holiday cheer.

So I understand that these stories are actually making fun of political correctness, which should leave me feeling appalled right? But it doesn't. Because when political correctness is taken to the level that it is in these stories, it should
Mary
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, bookclub
Still finishing one or two stories, but basically done. I guess I just couldn't get past certain parts of satire. I could see the jokes in some of it, but other points offended me. Didn't really enjoy it because of that.
Meredith
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh Frosty the persun of snow. Your demise was so tragic! Garner is pretty brilliant. I love, love, love, his politically correct stories. I shall certainly share them with my pre-adults if I ever get any.
Bryan Ma
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
You'll probably laugh once or twice, reach the end of the book, and then spend the next 15 minutes looking for where the rest of it is hiding.
Elly White
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This series of satirical and humorous in regards to political correctness is great to share with friends. Children family, I'm going to read it at Christmas this year!
Linda Lipko
Feb 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Witty, funny and very humorous.
Erin Penn
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Somewhere between satire, mean-spirit, depressing reality, changing cultures, and cleverness, Politically Correct Holiday Stories resides. Created in 1995, the social commentary still has some relevance for twenty years later (review written 2017).

Mr. Garner modernizes five Christmas classics using PC words of the 90's. Each ends with a downswing instead of an upswing, revealing the author's true stance on the subject. "A Christmas Carol" has the happiest ending.

'Twas the Night Before Solstice -
Athena
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
"How does that help Diminutive Timon?" This was the only point during the book where I laughed out loud.

Having just read the original A Christmas Carol, I enjoyed this ridiculous collection of stories, including the retelling of the Dickens classic. Forget Bob Cratchit and the crippled Tiny Tim, we've got Roberto and the vaguely special Diminutive Timon.

I remember first hearing about this series in the 90s when I was a naive child and imagined that political correctness was a fad and that eventu
Alyssa Noch
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Hilarious and not the Christmas story collection I would read to children- too pedantic in word choice. However, that is half the fun!
I also see the point the author is trying to make in being politically correct along with a certain absurdity in doing so. (It just made me laugh while also making the feminist inside of me yell, "Heck yeah!")
It brought me great joy to read this while also making me think about what these Christmas stories were originally meaning to say, and what they mean now th
Sunni
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book consists of five stories: 'Twas the Night Before Solstice, Frosty the Person of Snow, The Nutcracker, Rudolph the Nasally Empowered Reindeer, and A Christmas Carol. Garner's stories are packed with spectacular satire, and left me in hysterics. Although I am a true fan of Christmas, and love all of the original versions of these stories I couldn't have been happier about the jest poked in the direction of a society to absorbed in political correctness that it has forgotten the joy of a ...more
Heather
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Politically Correct Holiday Stories is a collection of several well-known Christmas stories changed to be politically correct. There are a few short ones (like Frosty and Rudolph) and then a long one (A Christmas Carol). They are all written in a sarcastic, over the top PC, way. There are two non-politically correct Christmas stories at the end, one about Santa’s childhood and one that was a surprisingly sweet story about a cabbie and possibly talking animals. It’s a fun, quick read. I recommend ...more
Kaelyn
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Gosh. This book is HILARIOUS. Not because it was meant to be, but because the author tried not to offend anyone and, in the process, he has created some amazingly strange "politically correct" situations. Case in point: One of the stories is called "Rudolph the Nasally Empowered Reindeer". I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to laugh really hard at his efforts to write the politically correct Christmas (sorry, holiday) stories.
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
As a lover of Satire, I really enjoyed The Night before The Solstice, Frosty The Persun of Snow, and Rudolf the Nasilly-Empowered Reindeer. However, I wasn't crazy about Garner's version of a Christmas Carol (which took up over half of the book). Throughout most of the story, it didn't deviate too far from Dicken's heartwarming classic, which conflicted me because I would momentarily forget that it was supposed to be satirical.
Debra
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, humor
I remember reading this book shortly after it came out in 1995. Being on the lookout for humorous Christmas tales, I picked this up to enjoy again. It is amazing how it stands the test of time. After a year where very little is amusing and we are finding that humor is becoming scarce, I very much enjoyed these short stories.
Kayla
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely had funny moments. I'm a PC angry feminist type so while this book satirizes that I feel like it was in good fun. It was pretty repetitive at bits so I might recommend reading one story here or there rather than reading it straight through like I did.
Elizabeth Meadows
Fun premise. Over the top, but not too far from the way things are becoming. I found The Night Before Christmas parody to be the most enjoyable portion.
Lacy
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very humorous in this day and age!!! Very enjoyable and quick read!
Amy
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not very exciting for me. Made me laugh once or twice, but not too exciting.
Manar Hosni
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as the first two.
Elizabeth
This collection is okay, mildly interesting, but not all that great. I'd say the first part is a solid 2 stars, while The Christmas Carol parody is a probably a 3. That part was easily the best, even if the collection as a whole is a bit of a disappointment. It just seems like most of the stories here are one-trick ponies, without much substance, although their extreme brevity may account for that s well. The idea of being satirical isn't the foundation; it's the whole product. Scrooge's transfo ...more
Clara Patricia
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-rereading
Very humorous and light. Perfect for people who can appreciate a political satire of the Holiday season.
Alisha B
Dec 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I first came across James Finn Garner’s schtick of running long-standing and beloved stories of western culture through the PC sanitizer in high school when I read his Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. What made that first book so funny was that it was original and pointed out the ridiculousness of the then small voice of the PC police. Oh, if only we knew then how that voice would grow and become the bully it is today!

In this holiday version of the original book, Garner revisits our favorite
Jakob
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is James Garner's third book in which he modifies classic stories to make overly politically correct humorous versions. In his introduction, Garner says "I felt compelled once again to perform a public service in the name of right-thinking celebrants everywhere and revise the favorite seasonal tales for our more sensitive era." He is making fun of how ridiculous political correctness can be.
I think the theme of this book is not to be obsessive about including every group and not offending
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour-parody
This volume consists of five stories: "'Twas the Night Before Solstice, Frosty the Persun of Snow, The Nutcracker, Rudolph the Nasally Empowered Reindeer," and "A Christmas Carol."

Although I am a true fan of Christmas, and love all of the original versions of these stories I couldn't have been happier about the jest poked in the direction of a society to absorbed in political corectness that it has forgotten the joy of a season. For an off-beat Christmas treat I urge you to pick up this book.

In
Julia
A collection of some well-known holiday stories that have been changed to be politically correct with word spellings, neutral phrases and a few explanations to explain why the politically correct want it that way. Furthermore the stories were changed to reflect how a story should progress or end with such material.

The writing was simple and easy to read although there were times when you were wanting to strangle the author and/or character for some long-breathed run-ons. And there are no pictu
  • A Wish for Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story
  • The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus: All the Words, Vol. 2
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Great American Folklore
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Holidays
  • Christmas Every Day
  • The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • Cosmic Christmas
  • They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?
  • The Christmas Books, Volume 1: A Christmas Carol/The Chimes
  • Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You
  • Eloise at Christmastime
  • The Little Match Girl
  • Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years
  • Angelina's Christmas
James Finn Garner is an American writer and satirist based in Chicago.[1] He is the author of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories,[2] Tea Party Fairy Tales, and Honk Honk, My Darling.

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories (4 books)
  • Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
  • Once Upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
  • The Politically Correct Ultimate Storybook: Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, Politically Correct Holiday Stories, Once Upon a More Enlightened Time